ADVERTISEMENT

Cancelling college football is NUTS!

Anon - yes ISU would obviously get another game. My comment is directed at Clone fans who say they want the Iowa game canceled so they can get home and homes with high profile teams from other P5 conferences. I am simply pointing out the delusion in that belief based upon national perception and reality (you don’t go 25 years without a P5 home and home except Iowa and in fact go to MAC and Mountain West venues and all of a sudden drop Iowa and get Bama and Clemson begging to come to Midamerican Field in Ames Iowa). And yes the UNLV trip would be fun. And I went down to Arizona for the Iowa non con games as a reason for a golf trip.

Fever - I am with you. For me, the Iowa game would just be an excuse to go to Vegas. I think it is good for ISU fans as I am sure many will travel. But they aren’t raising their profile continuing home and homes with the Akron’s, Ohio U’s and UNLV’s of the world. I mean I would not be thrilled with Iowa going to North Texas as a home and home. I did like the Northern Illinois games in Chicago.

It doesn't make sense to say it's not about death rate but about death numbers, isn't that about the same thing? One is a number of deaths associated with Covid, the other is the percentage of number of deaths. The virus is already out, no one is going to stop it, but why should we be locked up when you have a 99% chance of survival? That's my point. Tell me what other pandemic have we ever been locked up for? Even the death numbers have to be questioned as it seems EVERYONE that dies, regardless of the reason who tests positive with Covid is being counted as a Covid death. Add to that, if the majority of deaths are people above age 70, or individuals with other health issues like heart disease, lung problems ect, then it's fair to say that it is NOT lethal to over 99% of the population. If your scared, by all means, stay home. Me, I'm not scared. I know several people who have had Covid. All of them were under the age of 60, and really most of them felt nothing, or like they had a cold. I'm 56 and diabetic, so I guess theoretically I have a higher chance at death if I catch it.
Isn't that something some are getting from the virus, so how many of them can see death if/when they get it again?

Maybe its just me but I would rather separate my football viewing habits and travel. But maybe thats because I went out and splurged and got a 77 inch OLED tv last year for sports. My wife thought I was way overboard when I moved the recliner to about 3-4 feet away from the tv, lol.

But the game itself would be exciting or is it just Vegas? Cause Iowa v UNLV would not excite me to watch.

I'm excited to watch ISU no matter who they play. That said, would I be more excited to watch them play UNLV or Oregon State? I don't really care either way. Would I be more excited to watch them play Akron or Vanderbilt? I don't really care. ISU and Notre Dame? I saw that last year and let me assure you it wasn't great.

Maybe its just me but I would rather separate my football viewing habits and travel. But maybe thats because I went out and splurged and got a 77 inch OLED tv last year for sports. My wife thought I was way overboard when I moved the recliner to about 3-4 feet away from the tv, lol.

My wife is in many ways a bigger sports fan than I am so most of our travel is either a trip for us as a family with our kids, or a trip to some sporting event. Probably depends on what you want to do on vacation but I'd say 75% of the trips we take are somehow related to ISU/Kansas City sports.

Reactions: Win5002
Ok, I'm sure there is a way around this, if it happens. If they can't give a kid a scholarship because of sports cancellation for a year, the kid could still get into the school and take out loans for a year. The kid could apply for Grants, etc etc. There are so many ways around this, I don't have time to list them all. Many of us have student loans from college and we are just fine.

I think we were speaking about more than just one year, such as Stanford cancelling 11 sports. If shortfalls hit budget, that will hit lots of schools.

Anon - yes ISU would obviously get another game. My comment is directed at Clone fans who say they want the Iowa game canceled so they can get home and homes with high profile teams from other P5 conferences. I am simply pointing out the delusion in that belief based upon national perception and reality (you don’t go 25 years without a P5 home and home except Iowa and in fact go to MAC and Mountain West venues and all of a sudden drop Iowa and get Bama and Clemson begging to come to Midamerican Field in Ames Iowa). And yes the UNLV trip would be fun. And I went down to Arizona for the Iowa non con games as a reason for a golf trip.

Seen very little of Clone fans suggesting dropping Iowa to get a home and home with another P5. I have read lots of that from Hawk fans on this board about dropping ISU to do so. I have also read lots that think it is a great rivalry game and should be continued.

Isn't that something some are getting from the virus, so how many of them can see death if/when they get it again?
I've heard once you get the Virus, your body builds up anti bodies so it is not as serious going forward. It would be nice however if all the Networks would be on the same page, as some networks this is not a bad virus and others its Armageddon. :)

Reactions: Stranded Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT