ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar AND Rasheed Granted 6th year

I’m honestly not that worried or even that upset about shakur getting a sixth. Who’d he beat that scares anyone? Every time he had a chance to prove his worth he sat out or got beat. Yeah he’s good but he’s not a world beater.
Majored Wilke last time they wrestled.

Reactions: WiscoWrastler

Yep, and AAed at 197 just last season.

Shak didn't look right since about January, and he didn't walk off the mat normally after the Venz semi at Big Tens. People see Spencer win at less than 100% and think everyone can do it but as I have said on here many times, Spencer is a unicorn, and is the favorite in any tournament he enters from here until probably about 2033. Kind of the same with Yianni. That's not Shak. Very good wrestler, but not on that level (not not many are), and he needs things to go right (like stay pretty healthy) to win in big fields.

The bigger fallout should they both wrestle, I am not sold that even given a 6th year they will both return, is that it adds a year on the back end to Brooks, as he will redshirt. With Conel in the fold and healthy, it could add a year on the back end to Beard as well.

It basically means a lineup rollover of Shak-Conel-Cassar, right to Brooks-Beard-Nevills. It's a pretty loaded back end for the next handful of years, but again, I'm not sold that they're both going to want to come back.

Reactions: slushhead
If it's becoming so easy for a wrestler to be granted a sixth year, why did we not attempt to take advantage of it and sit Stoll for this season? He clearly could've used more time.

And as much as I don't want to see these guys back in their lineup, but if it's true, then good for them. As far as I'm concerned, every college athlete deserves another year of eligibility, especially if one year was lost to injury. After all, we will be pulling this same card with Kemerer.

Does Stoll look like a guy who's interested in yet another year of college wrestling? Kudos to your second point. Agree completely.

Reactions: DirkTang1
If it's becoming so easy for a wrestler to be granted a sixth year, why did we not attempt to take advantage of it and sit Stoll for this season? He clearly could've used more time.

And as much as I don't want to see these guys back in their lineup, but if it's true, then good for them. As far as I'm concerned, every college athlete deserves another year of eligibility, especially if one year was lost to injury. After all, we will be pulling this same card with Kemerer.

Stoll's knee looks done, not sure an extra year helps much.

They probably have a medical doctor on their payroll for the PS wrestling club. Really a sad day in wrestling when you can buy another shot at a championship. Might as well just hire three or four former PS wrestlers to be refs. at the nationals...

Right... Wrestlers never get injured so I’m sure it was made up.

Reactions: slushhead
Speaking of "ducking" (See what I did there?:D) when is Brands going to bring Iowa to PSU to wrestle? He owes PSU a home match.
Is this true? I thought that PSU came to Carver out of conference in 13-14, and Iowa went to PSU for BJC dual in 14-15 also out of conference?

I just checked the schedules for those years, and both years have 9 duals with BIG teams. I assume that 8 of them were scheduled by the BIG and the other was out of conference.

Edit: I just found where they increased the number of BIG duals to 9 in 14-15 season. It appears that we do owe a dual to PSU.

Last edited:

Yes he did, and that might have been the last time he was healthy. He's not healthy right now and hasn't been for some time. Maybe I'm optimistic, but $$ is a senior next year, I'm hoping he get's to that potential that everyone keeps saying he has i. e Warner and Brands both say he has what it takes. Shak's health and Wilke's "hopeful potential" make me less concerned that I would otherwise be about shak getting a 6th year.

How do 6th years work for scholarship money? It seems like they would still count against the 9.9, and could put teams in a bind.

They do. The exceptions are in football where if you have to "retire" for injuries but stay in school, they still cover you but it doesn't count against their 85 total. If you are just hurt and get an extra season to participate, it counts the whole time even the year you are sitting out.

Same as Cassar, two seasons lost due to injury.

Come on, the situations are not REMOTELY close. Rasheed wrestled a short REDSHIRT season(this is VERY hard to gauge because he didn't wrestle until January[Franklin&Marshall Tourney] and then not again). His other season was again SHORTENED. He wrestled 5 matches that redshirt season and 6 that shortened season.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/20305/rasheed-shakur/profile

To be even more specific, the shortened season was stopped Dec. 4th. That is an awful lot of time to possibly come back for March if he was truly needed. So, essentially, they are using 2 seasons that he wasn't going to wrestle Varsity ANYWAY to get him another year, even when he DID wrestle during those seasons.

As far as Cassar goes, he missed 2 FULL seasons, neither of which was clearly a redshirt season.
https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/20299/cassar-anthony/profile

As I have said before, I don't ever want to see an injury stop someone's chances to wrestle in the postseason. Hell, I would like to see Suriano get his Freshman season back. However, Rasheed's case is as big of a stretch as I have seen and that INCLUDES Gravina..................

Last edited:
Come on, the situations are not REMOTELY close. Rasheed wrestled a short REDSHIRT season(this is VERY hard to gauge because he didn't wrestle until January[Franklin&Marshall Tourney] and then not again). His other season was again SHORTENED. He wrestled 5 matches that redshirt season and 6 that shortened season.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/20305/rasheed-shakur/profile

To be even more specific, the shortened season was stopped Dec. 4th. That is an awful lot of time to possibly come back for March if he was truly needed. So, essentially, they are using 2 seasons that he wasn't going to wrestle Varsity ANYWAY to get him another year, even when he DID wrestle during those seasons.

As far as Cassar goes, he missed 2 FULL seasons, neither of which was clearly a redshirt season.
https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/20299/cassar-anthony/profile

As I have said before, I don't ever want to see an injury stop someone's chances to wrestle in the postseason. Hell, I would like to see Suriano get his Freshman season back. However, Rasheed's case is as big of a stretch as I have seen and that INCLUDES Gravina..................
Welp I guess he’ll be stretching it into 2020 :rolleyes::D

So when do Brooks, Beard, and Nevils start their injuries for this coming lost season? Won't they also need 6 years to get their 4 post-seasons?

Reactions: HawkFT

Cass. That's why.

Reactions: 24 so far
Speaking of "ducking" (See what I did there?:D) when is Brands going to bring Iowa to PSU to wrestle? He owes PSU a home match.
This whole ducking a return Penn State dual is so freaking ridiculous.
There a Smith interview out there this year where hes asked about getting Penn State in a dual annually. The answer something like ya but Cael is very difficult to schedule with. He has his scedule how he wants it and doesnt budge so it makes it extremely difficult.
So maybe you Lions can pull your head out of your asses on this topic and maybe realize your shinny domed golden boy coach just might be the problem on this one.

They probably have a medical doctor on their payroll for the PS wrestling club. Really a sad day in wrestling when you can buy another shot at a championship. Might as well just hire three or four former PS wrestlers to be refs. at the nationals...

I’ll give you folks an A for creativity.

Welp I guess he’ll be stretching it into 2020 :rolleyes::D

Your post seems to imply it is somehow personal. I am happy for Rasheed. I don't begrudge him the year. I just don't think it is deserved and I would say that NO MATTER who the wrestler is. I cannot think of a situation less deserving of a medical, where someone was granted one. Hell, even Gravina's was an injury during his Freshman year, granting him a FIFTH year, since he did not wrestle a single match the year before.

In the case of Rasheed, he will have wrestled in SIX different seasons. Also, it isn't like he wrestled 1 or 2 matches during any of those. He wrestled 5 in one and 6 in the other and the year with 6 doesn't even factor in how early he was shut down and the fact that the guy at his weight ended up winning NCAA's. His just IS NOT a case of him missing the post season due to an injury.

Please cite me one other that is even close.......

This whole ducking a return Penn State dual is so freaking ridiculous.
There a Smith interview out there this year where hes asked about getting Penn State in a dual annually. The answer something like ya but Cael is very difficult to schedule with. He has his scedule how he wants it and doesnt budge so it makes it extremely difficult.
So maybe you Lions can pull your head out of your asses on this topic and maybe realize your shinny domed golden boy coach just might be the problem on this one.

LOL, idiotic logic. I am talking about Iowa and you are talking about OSU.

The FACT remains, Iowa owes PSU a home match.

Reactions: Judge Smails

I think there is a little bit more to it than that. Didn't the B1G schedule 2 consecutive home duals for PSU against Iowa during that stretch? By that logic, Brands believed the one they scheduled on their own offset that.

Reactions: IRONBIRD

Ya they do but im sick of you idiots saying this falls on the Brands when it doesnt. Your coach is extremely difficult to deal with when it comes to scheduling and I just gave you an example how.

I think there is a little bit more to it than that. Didn't the B1G schedule 2 consecutive home duals for PSU against Iowa during that stretch? By that logic, Brands believed the one they scheduled on their own offset that.

One thing is a certainty that we can all agree on is that the BIG is a joke when it comes to scheduling wrestling. Iowa and PSU should be wrestling every year!

Your post seems to imply it is somehow personal. I am happy for Rasheed. I don't begrudge him the year. I just don't think it is deserved and I would say that NO MATTER who the wrestler is. I cannot think of a situation less deserving of a medical, where someone was granted one. Hell, even Gravina's was an injury during his Freshman year, granting him a FIFTH year, since he did not wrestle a single match the year before.

In the case of Rasheed, he will have wrestled in SIX different seasons. Also, it isn't like he wrestled 1 or 2 matches during any of those. He wrestled 5 in one and 6 in the other and the year with 6 doesn't even factor in how early he was shut down and the fact that the guy at his weight ended up winning NCAA's. His just IS NOT a case of him missing the post season due to an injury.

Please cite me one other that is even close.......

How about Christian Pagdilao?

Maybe not completely similar, but seems pretty close.

How about Christian Pagdilao?

Maybe not completely similar, but seems pretty close.

Why you looking for his validation? He doesn't have a clue as to the extent of anyone's injuries. He puts his own narrative and believes it to be true.

The NCAA makes it's decision based on medical information not MSU narrative

Reactions: Hotshoe
One thing is a certainty that we can all agree on is that the BIG is a joke when it comes to scheduling wrestling. Iowa and PSU should be wrestling every year!

A big10 top 4 quad meet to start the season would be awesome.

I am not a nascar guy, but it really does a lot having their biggest event be the start of the season (Daytona)

Reactions: lionlover
Why you looking for his validation? He doesn't have a clue as to the extent of anyone's injuries. He puts his own narrative and believes it to be true.

Narrative? My stance has NOTHING to do with injuries OR lack thereof. My stance is on the fact that he competed during FIVE seasons with mulitple matches in EACH. On top of that, the 2 years used are an OBVIOUS RS season and another where the probability is VERY HIGH that he wasn't going to be the guy ANYWAY.

I have STRENUOUSLY stated that I believe EVERYONE who clearly lost their post-season SOLELY due to injury, should get a Medical. However, in Rasheed's case that is VERY UNCLEAR......

Also, let's get past the whole "narrative" thing where you think my stance is anti-PSU. It is NOT. If RayVon Foley wrestled a limited TF season while redshirting and then ended up battling for the starting spot 2 years later, before getting injured, with his replacement going on to win NCAA's, then wrestles two more seasons and applies for a Medical I would ABSOLUTELY believe he SHOULDN'T get it. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be hoping he does.

Honestly, I don't care if Rasheed got his and will be happy for him if he officially has. Because I think he doesn't deserve it doesn't mean I am conspiring against him or PSU for that matter........

Last edited:
Also, let's get past the whole "narrative" thing where you think my stance is anti-PSU. It is NOT. If RayVon Foley wrestled a limited TF season while redshirting and then ended up battling for the starting spot 2 years later, before getting injured, with his replacement going on to win NCAA's, then wrestles two more seasons and applies for a Medical I would ABSOLUTELY believe he SHOULDN'T get it. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be hoping he does.

Honestly, I don't care if Rasheed got his and will be happy for him if he officially has. Because I think he doesn't deserve it doesn't mean I am conspiring against him or PSU for that matter........

I didn't say anything about your narrative.

You asked a for an example that was "even close". I provided one that I think fits that description.

That's it.

Ya they do but im sick of you idiots saying this falls on the Brands when it doesnt. Your coach is extremely difficult to deal with when it comes to scheduling and I just gave you an example how.

Ok, thanks for the more civil reply. It certainly could be an issue with Cael. Neither of us really know the dialogue between Cael and Brands.
A big10 top 4 quad meet to start the season would be awesome.

I am not a nascar guy, but it really does a lot having their biggest event be the start of the season (Daytona)

That's the good type of "out of the box thinking" we need more of to promote the sport!

One last thing, how messed up is it that Rasheed can get one for his scenario, but Suriano can't. There is NOTHING more clear than Suriano's injury costing him the season. But, because it was late in the season, he isn't eligible. Meanwhile, Rasheed can use a fuzzy redshirt season along with the other season to get another chance.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
I didn't say anything about your narrative.

You asked a for an example that was "even close". I provided one that I think fits that description.

That's it.

My apologies I quoted the wrong person. That was meant for pish. Yes, thanks for your example. It is a good one and is much closer than any others I could think of. Much appreciated and sorry for the confusion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT