ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar AND Rasheed Granted 6th year

Well here it is day two and not one mention from any news source other than an Anonymous poster on twitter. Maybe he got his days mixed up or did a little premature posting thinking its April 1st.
I'm just glad Teasdale will get his medical redshirt also, he will be right there after his medical and regular redshirt years thanks to PSU announced his leaving the team for medical reasons.

One last thing, how messed up is it that Rasheed can get one for his scenario, but Suriano can't. There is NOTHING more clear than Suriano's injury costing him the season. But, because it was late in the season, he isn't eligible. Meanwhile, Rasheed can use a fuzzy redshirt season along with the other season to get another chance.

What I meant by "your narrative" is you kind of spinning how injured people are. Maybe I took that wrong..if so I apologize.

My thing is this..I'm not a Dr., so who am I to generalize injuries. The powers that be collect the data and make a decision. I'm willing to live with it either way, so why speculate? Why try to use others as examples without knowing all the details. Number 1, you don't know injury details, Number 2, we don't even know the NCAA criteria on this stuff.

As far as Suriano..I like you would like ALL atheletes compete in 4 NCAA's if they were out for injury. I would have no problem with Suriano getting another year. My point is, I don't know injuries/criteria and either do you, so why try to make an issue out of it

What I meant by "your narrative" is you kind of spinning how injured people are. Maybe I took that wrong..if so I apologize.

My thing is this..I'm not a Dr., so who am I to generalize injuries. The powers that be collect the data and make a decision. I'm willing to live with it either way, so why speculate? Why try to use others as examples without knowing all the details. Number 1, you don't know injury details, Number 2, we don't even know the NCAA criteria on this stuff.

As far as Suriano..I like you would like ALL atheletes compete in 4 NCAA's if they were out for injury. I would have no problem with Suriano getting another year. My point is, I don't know injuries/criteria and either do you, so why try to make an issue out of it

I am really not disputing his being injured. I am disputing those injuries qualifying him for another year. To me, you would have to lose something due to those injuries to gain another year. In his case, i really don't think he lost anything......

I am really not disputing his being injured. I am disputing those injuries qualifying him for another year. To me, you would have to lose something due to those injuries to gain another year. In his case, i really don't think he lost anything......

He lost a year to compete not counting his RS year where he was also hurt. What do you mean what did he lose? What the hell do you think were talking about?

Competition years

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
One last thing, how messed up is it that Rasheed can get one for his scenario, but Suriano can't. There is NOTHING more clear than Suriano's injury costing him the season. But, because it was late in the season, he isn't eligible. Meanwhile, Rasheed can use a fuzzy redshirt season along with the other season to get another chance.
Idk maybe because Suriano wrestled well over 10 matches his freshman year and actually stepped on a mat for the postseason. What I’m gathering is you feel as long as someone wrestled at all during a season and they weren’t the starter they shouldn’t get a year back. You also brought up him being shut down in another post. I’m fairly sure I’m closer to the situation then you are and don’t take that as disrespect because it’s not meant to be but he was never shut down in favor of another wrestler. His season was over that year due to injury. I believe the NCAA is looking at whether or not you lost a full year of competition due to injury and wrestling 5-6 matches is not a full season of competition. doesn’t look like they seem to care much about anything else and honestly all bias aside I’m fine with that.

Eh. I'm Mr. Athlete guy and want kids to be able to wrestle and transfer as much as possible to better themselves, but the Rasheed one seems like a real stretch. Cassar I'm board with.

Idk maybe because Suriano wrestled well over 10 matches his freshman year and actually stepped on a mat for the postseason. What I’m gathering is you feel as long as someone wrestled at all during a season and they weren’t the starter they shouldn’t get a year back. You also brought up him being shut down in another post. I’m fairly sure I’m closer to the situation then you are and don’t take that as disrespect because it’s not meant to be but he was never shut down in favor of another wrestler. His season was over that year due to injury. I believe the NCAA is looking at whether or not you lost a full year of competition due to injury and wrestling 5-6 matches is not a full season of competition. doesn’t look like they seem to care much about anything else and honestly all bias aside I’m fine with that.

To be clear, I am happy for Rasheed. It is his dream and I don't want to see dreams crushed. But, with the way DI wrestling is structured, his being eligible to get a 6th year because he missed some time during a redshirt season, while Suriano isn't BECAUSE he wrestled without redshirting is WRONG. Rasheed now gets 6 years to have 4 seasons, while Suriano MAY get 5, if he does eventually RS, to get 3.9(with the .1 really being all that matters in this sport).

Also, thanks for your insight and you are undoubtedly closer to the situation than I am. I didn't mean to say he was shut down without injury. I only hinted at the timeline being enough that it may have been possible for him to get back by March if they didn't already have Hall. Simply put, without injury, I still don't think he would have been wrestling for PSU in March that season and that weighs on me for getting a hardship. Maybe that shouldn't be a factor, but it does influence my opinion and would regardless of the team or wrestler.

Reactions: SlothHawk
Cass. That's why.
Okay. Let's just pump the brakes on that one. I'm as excited as the next person to see Cass in this lineup, but he has absolutely nothing to do with Stoll.

If Big Sam could come back for another year or even wanted to, if eligible, Cass wouldn't haven't anything to do with it.

Narrative? My stance has NOTHING to do with injuries OR lack thereof. My stance is on the fact that he competed during FIVE seasons with mulitple matches in EACH. On top of that, the 2 years used are an OBVIOUS RS season and another where the probability is VERY HIGH that he wasn't going to be the guy ANYWAY.

I have STRENUOUSLY stated that I believe EVERYONE who clearly lost their post-season SOLELY due to injury, should get a Medical. However, in Rasheed's case that is VERY UNCLEAR......

Dude, I strenuously recommend the italics function.

If you can't figure that out based on the facts then nothing anybody says here is going to make sense Apples and oranges shit the NCAA is trying to give kids four post seasons .Rasheed didn't have that due to injury. End of story

If you can't figure that out based on the facts then nothing anybody says here is going to make sense Apples and oranges shit the NCAA is trying to give kids four post seasons .Rasheed didn't have that due to injury. End of story

Him not being the starter had more to do with not having 4 post seasons than being injured.

Okay. Let's just pump the brakes on that one. I'm as excited as the next person to see Cass in this lineup, but he has absolutely nothing to do with Stoll.

If Big Sam could come back for another year or even wanted to, if eligible, Cass wouldn't haven't anything to do with it.

I would bet Cass beats Stoll. Much more mobile and active.

How do some of you think it's perfectly acceptable for kem to get a 6th year but nobody at PSU? Its like some of you are scared to even compete and its pathetic. Iowa has all the firepower to win a title next year even with these 6th year extensions. Lee, desanto, murin, lugo, young, bull, kem, wilcke, Warner, cass is as salty of a line up as I can remember the hawks having. If they all achieve their potential they should win it. Have some faith and trust in this squad, stop whining and complaining. Kem should get another two years with the hawks and cound legit contend for a title in 2021 assuming Valencia doesn't only rs (and if he does kem competes for a title next year!)

Reactions: lionlover
How do some of you think it's perfectly acceptable for kem to get a 6th year but nobody at PSU? Its like some of you are scared to even compete and its pathetic. Iowa has all the firepower to win a title next year even with these 6th year extensions. Lee, desanto, murin, lugo, young, bull, kem, wilcke, Warner, cass is as salty of a line up as I can remember the hawks having. If they all achieve their potential they should win it. Have some faith and trust in this squad, stop whining and complaining. Kem should get another two years with the hawks and cound legit contend for a title in 2021 assuming Valencia doesn't only rs (and if he does kem competes for a title next year!)

have you paid attention to ANYTHING posted on here? It has NOTHING to do with PSU. Everyone thinks Cassar deserves one. The issue is Rasheed having wrestled for 5 seasons already and the two seasons in question are a redshirt and a season where Hall won the weight class. I don’t care WHAT team it is, that situation warrants some debate.

Also, Kemerer missed an ENTIRE season. His situation is about as clear cut as it can get.....

So can we put thus post to rest or is it going to reach grothus status. It was posted on twitter and not one wrestling publisher has addressed it that I've seen.

Halls shirt was pulled because Rasheed was hurt. Morelli was in before hall came out and lost to Meyers at carver

No, no, no. Some will strenuously claim that Rasheed had plenty of time to recover by March, and Hall would have wrestled anyway. That's not what actually happened, but it would have. And so granting a 6th year is absurd.

Sorry if already posted. Found this article and the little portion below to be particularly interesting:

“Without giving specifics, Sanderson said Rasheed's absence is not specifically injury related but is medical in nature.”

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/bwi-s-wrestling-notebook-jan-12-/printable

Not sure how something is not specifically an injury related but is medical when it comes to sitting out for the rest of the year. Illness? Previous shoulder surgery issues coming back?

Hmmmmmm let's see. Kem didn't wrestle a match this year. Had knee surgery. And was a 2x returning AA and would have been the starter.

Rasheed wasn't going to be the starter that year, wrestled a handful of matches then sat. Did he have a surgery? I have no idea. I just know he wasn't going to be wrestling at nationals that year anyway so they essentially got him a 2nd redshirt if this goes through.

You actually don't know that. You just believe it.

I don't see how the way the Ncaa has been granting 6th years has anything to do with Penn State. Was anyone over here up in arms when Ashnault, Gravina, Pagdilao, or Miklus got their 6th year? And why is it so hard to believe a kid who's struggled with injuries most of his high school and collegiate career was actually injured? What's good for the goose is good for the gander. This is a weird hill to die on and IMO a bad look for the Hawkeye fanbase. These kids sacrifice so much to this sport and wanting to deny a kid the opportunity to compete and reach their goals because you don't like the singlet he wears is pretty gross.

Reactions: nitlion6
No, no, no. Some will strenuously claim that Rasheed had plenty of time to recover by March, and Hall would have wrestled anyway. That's not what actually happened, but it would have. And so granting a 6th year is absurd.

Although I LOVE that I am in your head enough to bust out the italics, what you keep arguing is a small part of the argument. The crux of the argument is his HAVING wrestled in 5 seasons already. That is a key component as the 6 year waiver is supposed to be much harder to get with specific criteria. The most important of which is an entire season or significant portions of 2.

First off using a redshirt season as one of those is disingenuous at best. Secondly, he DID wrestle a half dozen matches as a soph and that season’s structure at that weight DOES warrant some questioning, regardless of who knows what specifically.

The funniest part of all this is you guys taking it as some PSU centric issue. Maybe, there are a couple here that are wrongly saying it is, but the things I have questioned have NOTHING to do with PSU. I fully believe Cassar should get one and will be happy for him when he does. Hell, I will be happy for Rasheed if he does as well. I just don’t think he deserves one and have repeatedly stated why. Stop taking it personally and then we can just agree to disagree on the merits of the argument.

Reactions: Spoons
Leeth was granted 2 medical shirts after the 2018 NCAA's. Does nobody have a problem with that? He wrestled all year as a junior, then effectively changed it to his freshman season.

Personally, I don't because I live outside Columbia and coached against him in HS.

Leeth was granted 2 medical shirts after the 2018 NCAA's. Does nobody have a problem with that? He wrestled all year as a junior, then effectively changed it to his freshman season.

Personally, I don't because I live outside Columbia and coached against him in HS.

Not the same thing. Actually, not even close. According to his bio: https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/19866/leeth-grant/profile

He redshirted in 2015, missed ALL of 2016 and 2017, took 6th in 2018 and then got injured again in 2019. If ANYBODY deserves 2 more seasons, it is HIM.

Can someone confirm or disprove what a poster wrote in another thread about the NCAA and applying for a medical red shirt.

It would seem logical to me that if an athlete is injured and wants to apply for a medical. It would be done as soon as possible.

This would make sense for so many reasons that I do not feel I would have to explain. That being said, the poster claims(and he very well may be correct) that you do not apply till AFTER you last year of eligibility????

The reason i bring it up is. Why wouldn't these to clowns from F**** st. have applied long ago? That is the only reason I have heard that would make it make sense.

Is the NCAA that screwed up???

Not the same thing. Actually, not even close. According to his bio: https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/19866/leeth-grant/profile

He redshirted in 2015, missed ALL of 2016 and 2017, took 6th in 2018 and then got injured again in 2019. If ANYBODY deserves 2 more seasons, it is HIM.

His 2 Medicals were before the 2019 season. My point was, why complain about Rasheed's possible shirt when others are getting 2? I absolutely believe Leeth deserves the 2 years. The problem is, I'm not sure where he fits in the MU lineup now. Looks like he might have to cut to 141 for next season.

His 2 Medicals were before the 2019 season. My point was, why complain about Rasheed's possible shirt when others are getting 2? I absolutely believe Leeth deserves the 2 years. The problem is, I'm not sure where he fits in the MU lineup now. Looks like he might have to cut to 141 for next season.
from what I've heard he is making the cut to 141.

from what I've heard he is making the cut to 141.

At the MO State tournament, I was told Mauller was going 41 and Eierman was going 49. Obviously, that isn't happening. I think Mauller is too big for 41, so it has to be Leeth if he ever wants to be in the lineup again.

Can someone confirm or disprove what a poster wrote in another thread about the NCAA and applying for a medical red shirt.

It would seem logical to me that if an athlete is injured and wants to apply for a medical. It would be done as soon as possible.

This would make sense for so many reasons that I do not feel I would have to explain. That being said, the poster claims(and he very well may be correct) that you do not apply till AFTER you last year of eligibility????

The reason i bring it up is. Why wouldn't these to clowns from F**** st. have applied long ago? That is the only reason I have heard that would make it make sense.

Is the NCAA that screwed up???
I believe that other poster is correct, to an extent. It's called a medical hardship waiver. A medical redshirt doesn't exist. And in regards to Shak and Cassar I don't think it's a medical waiver as it is a sixth year waiver because these guys have already had 5 years to play 4.. You can't give someone a sixth year in their 3rd year of competition. The sixth year is only given after the final year of eligibility has been exhausted.

Thus they must wait to apply until the end of their five year clock. Hence the five to complete four. What begins to complicate things is when a regular redshirt is thrown into the mix. If these guys have, including Shak, Cassar, and Kemerer, already used the redshirt, it can really muddle the waters because the NCAA looks at it as they already had the possibility to compete in a year, using that regular redshirt was their choice.

I understand both sides of it, but I do agree that it would make things so much easier on the school and more importantly, the student athlete, if they could apply sooner. Especially the sixth year waiver

With that said, I think Cassar has a legit shot at an extra year. He missed 2 full seasons from what I can gather. Shak, did not. And Kemerer is no lock for that sixth year either. Unfortunately, he needs to miss more time to have a better chance.

If im wrong, someone please correct me!

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I’d like to see the NCAA move to an only 5 years to compete 4 post seasons. Redshirts only apply to post seasons. Allow the entire roster to compete in duals. It would allow those schools with small rosters some flexibility and field full dual team lineups. Plus the decision wouldn’t have to be made until conference tournament time. No hardship.

I’d like to see the NCAA move to an only 5 years to compete 4 post seasons. Redshirts only apply to post seasons. Allow the entire roster to compete in duals. It would allow those schools with small rosters some flexibility and field full dual team lineups. Plus the decision wouldn’t have to be made until conference tournament time. No hardship.

That would make grayshirting WAY more popular.

That would make grayshirting WAY more popular.
I don’t know and don’t know that it matters to me. I always read so many advocating for “saving” the redshirt for injury. Which I don’t really agree with. But other alerts are expanding redshirts ability to play during the regular season (football). I would say most don’t want to defer their enrollment in college.
You’ll have to elaborate on why they would increase and if that’s a bad thing.

Eh. I'm Mr. Athlete guy and want kids to be able to wrestle and transfer as much as possible to better themselves, but the Rasheed one seems like a real stretch. Cassar I'm board with.
According trouble coaches at Penn State Shakur was granted a sixth year they are still.waiting on cassar .this would seem like a lock if shak got his . Word has it that they are debating two more years for cassar which is why it is taking so long

Iowa doesn’t owe PSU sh*t.

I agree.

I believe if you check back there was a dual outside of the Big Ten schedule that took place several years ago; whether there was any direct reciprocity in that agreement is another matter.
Thanks for you elegant language, adds a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT