ADVERTISEMENT

CDC changes definition of vaccine and vaccination

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) raised eyebrows recently when they changed the definitions for “vaccine” and “vaccination” on their website, leading skeptics to question the motives behind the modification.

Previously, the phrase “vaccination” on the CDC’s website was defined as “the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease.” However, that definition has now been changed to read as “the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce protection to a specific disease.”

In addition, the term “vaccine” also received an update, going from “a product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease” to
“a preparation that is used to stimulate the body’s immune response against diseases.”

https://www.publishedreporter.com/2...vaccination-leading-skeptics-to-question-why/

There's an e-mail chain showing the change was made because the CDC doesn't want it's own definition to be used against itself. It's no longer about the science.

I would say the new definition is more accurate. I mean look at the flu shot. No one ever called it anything less than a vaccine before COVID but the flu shot was never terribly effective at producing total immunity, it's main benefit was that people who got the flu with it had much less severe cases than those who didn't get it.

That's all pre-COVID.

Biden’s mandate from a couple months ago. Is it worded in such a way that makes it viable?

we all will need a shot or two more by the time the government gets around to putting teeth to it.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) raised eyebrows recently when they changed the definitions for “vaccine” and “vaccination” on their website, leading skeptics to question the motives behind the modification.

Previously, the phrase “vaccination” on the CDC’s website was defined as “the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease.” However, that definition has now been changed to read as “the act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce protection to a specific disease.”

Considering MANY vaccines are not 100% foolproof, the amendment would seem to be more accurate.

I would say the new definition is more accurate. I mean look at the flu shot. No one ever called it anything less than a vaccine before COVID but the flu shot was never terribly effective at producing total immunity, it's main benefit was that people who got the flu with it had much less severe cases than those who didn't get it.

That's all pre-COVID.
EXACTLY

In addition, the term “vaccine” also received an update, going from “a product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease” to
“a preparation that is used to stimulate the body’s immune response against diseases.”

https://www.publishedreporter.com/2...vaccination-leading-skeptics-to-question-why/

There's an e-mail chain showing the change was made because the CDC doesn't want it's own definition to be used against itself. It's no longer about the science.
FDErEJ_WUAQMn-3

That's all pre-COVID.
Actually the flu shot achieves immunity for the seasonal strain it's selected to fight.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole

That's all pre-COVID.
Don't derail the circle jerk so early in the thread.

Vaccine Efficacy
HepB 98% - AFTER 2 BOOSTER SHOTS
RV 98%
DTaP 98% - AFTER 4 BOOSTER SHOTS
Hib 95% - AFTER 3 BOOSTER SHOTS
PCV13 97% - AFTER 3 BOOSTER SHOTS
IPV 99% - AFTER 3 BOOSTER SHOTS

MMR 97%
VAR 98%

COVID 79% - AFTER ONLY 2 DOSES
FLU 50-60%

FIFY

That's more in line with what actually does... so it makes sense to me. What am I missing?

Reactions: Joes Place
That's more in line with what actually does... so it makes sense to me. What am I missing?
So you change the definition to fit how effective it is? That's science? The fact that immunity wanes so quickly should at least be a concern for anyone who gives it a thought.

Then you read the emails and see the definition was changed to address the public, not for a good scientific reason. This isn't some conspiracy theory. It's just incredible that people no longer question anything even when there's a paper trail.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
I agree Finance that this is bad but willl also not getting the vaccine is worse.

The thing people leave out of this is companies like Pfizer aren't done researching or improving the Covid vaccine. That is ongoing. It will get better and better as they refine how it works based on the mountains of feedback and data they are receiving through all this.

In 20 years from now, how many covid booster shots will we have had?

No one knows.

It's why it is called the "novel coronavirus".

Researchers are already working on both "universal" influenza AND coronavirus vaccines, at least one of which is already in clinical trials.

FWIW, I get a tetanus "booster" about every 10 years. No idea "how many" of those I'll need, either. Depends on how old I get.

Reactions: HawkMD
So you change the definition to fit how effective it is? That's science? The fact that immunity wanes so quickly should at least be a concern for anyone who gives it a thought.

Then you read the emails and see the definition was changed to address the public, not for a good scientific reason. This isn't some conspiracy theory. It's just incredible that people no longer question anything even when there's a paper trail.
You change the definition to reflect the reality of the data and to prevent confusion with the public. It's a change that probably should have happened decades ago but no one cared because there wasn't a worldwide pandemic to worry about.

Reactions: HawkMD
It's a change that probably should have happened decades ago but no one cared because there wasn't a worldwide pandemic to worry about an online antivaccination campaign supported by one major political party's propaganda wing.
FIFY

Reactions: BioHawk
Yea.... Folks are just looking for something to get pissed at the CDC. This seems like a nothing burger. Description lines up more closely the what vaccines do.

Reactions: Joes Place
Yea.... Folks are just looking for something to get pissed at the CDC. This seems like a nothing burger. Description lines up more closely the what vaccines do.

Or, perhaps more accurately, "how vaccines actually work in real life".

So do you want to get back to normal or do you want to spend the next 10 years doing this? Because you don't get to have it both ways.
His post is literally showing we've had DECADES of vaccine requirements. Proving my point.

Reactions: BioHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT