ADVERTISEMENT

Challenge for the Iowa DL ... game vs ISU

ghostOfHomer777

HR Heisman
May 20, 2014
While obviously the O didn't do their job ... and that forced the D to be out on the field FOREVER ... however, there was still the issue that the Iowa D would force 3rd and 4th downs ... but not manage to get off the field. Part of that equation was that the DL did get pushed around a bit ... and that led to an uncomfortably productive day at work for Jirehl Brock. To add insult to injury ... the game was at Kinnick!

Heading into Jack Trice for game two ... will our DL be able to be the brick-wall that they need to be? Or will it take a little while for them to put it all together? Will they see mediocre game-1 tape by ISU, overlook the Cyclones, and then set themselves up for disappointment? I've seen this scenario play out all too often for our Hawks. Will the Iowa DL stamp their foot down and not take no for an answer?

While obviously the O didn't do their job ... and that forced the D to be out on the field FOREVER ... however, there was still the issue that the Iowa D would force 3rd and 4th downs ... but not manage to get off the field. Part of that equation was that the DL did get pushed around a bit ... and that led to an uncomfortably productive day at work for Jirehl Brock. To add insult to injury ... the game was at Kinnick!

Heading into Jack Trice for game two ... will our DL be able to be the brick-wall that they need to be? Or will it take a little while for them to put it all together? Will they see mediocre game-1 tape by ISU, overlook the Cyclones, and then set themselves up for disappointment? I've seen this scenario play out all too often for our Hawks. Will the Iowa DL stamp their foot down and not take no for an answer?
Keep in mind that was 10th offensive series of the game for ISU. The D had to be physically and emotionally exhausted because of the complete and total ineptitude of the offense. ISU managed to make critical conversions throughout the drive as well. Nothing was given to them (aside from the garbage late hit call on CDJ).

Last edited:
ISU will have a first time OC.
First time starter at QB.
First time OL coach.
No Jirehl Brock.
Think their best potential OL-Jake Remsburg- is out (potential gambling charges)?
Might be low scoring game, due to Iowa being it's typical discombobulated goatf×ck on offense, but, I feel confident in saying Iowa wins.

First time OL coach.
No Jirehl Brock.
Think their best potential OL-Jake Remsburg- is out (potential gambling charges)?
Might be low scoring game, due to Iowa being it's typical discombobulated goatf×ck on offense, but, I feel confident in saying Iowa wins.
I couldn’t be more nervous about the O line than I am now after reading/watching Saturday’s performance.

I couldn’t be more nervous about the O line than I am now after reading/watching Saturday’s performance.
I wasn't expecting much in the area of improvement...I know KF is all in on Barnett...don't think he is the right guy for the job. Good "technician", doesn't relate to what Iowa needs, though..Take Polasek's fire with Barnett's knowledge and it might work better....Each are/were missing a couple of things needed to make the OL work....Anyways, The Iowa defense and ST's will help carry the day against ISU....

Excellent post; except why tf would ISU ever cross anybody's mind?

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan

I still get worried when the Iowa D faces a third and long. I have seen too many converted by the opponent.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
First time OL coach.
No Jirehl Brock.
Also likely without their best TE Hanika as well. He was named and charged.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I wasn't expecting much in the area of improvement...I know KF is all in on Barnett...don't think he is the right guy for the job. Good "technician", doesn't relate to what Iowa needs, though..Take Polasek's fire with Barnett's knowledge and it might work better....Each are/were missing a couple of things needed to make the OL work....Anyways, The Iowa defense and ST's will help carry the day against ISU....
Am I the only one that remembers people saying many of the same things about Polasek?

ISU always makes me nervous.

The defense can play great, but the Hawks simply MUST play better on offense. The offense last year was terrible....I know saying that makes me a "hater" to some people, but it's a statistical fact. I am cautiously optimistic that things will improve this season. Cade should be fine as long as he can stay healthy, and the offensive line can only get better.

Am I the only one that remembers people saying many of the same things about Polasek?
Polasek hadn't coached OL before...He was more of a yeller/screamer type while lacking the technical knowledge..

Barnett is very well versed in the technical side of OL play. He is more reserved when it comes to the motivational side.

ISU always makes me nervous.

The defense can play great, but the Hawks simply MUST play better on offense. The offense last year was terrible....I know saying that makes me a "hater" to some people, but it's a statistical fact. I am cautiously optimistic that things will improve this season. Cade should be fine as long as he can stay healthy, and the offensive line can only get better.
I think they will be lucky to beat UNI in their first game.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Wait, Iowa State scored a total of 10 points last year and we want to challenge the defense???
very good and completely valid point. however, even after completely accepting that the offense’s lack of points production is the main reason for losses, it’s also uncomfortably true that in close losses in which the defense does well (from points given up standpoint) they give up the crucial points late in the game.

Reactions: shanksit44
very good and completely valid point. however, even after completely accepting that the offense’s lack of points production is the main reason for losses, it’s also uncomfortably true that in close losses in which the defense does well (from points given up standpoint) they give up the crucial points late in the game.
Oh, without a doubt. I just want the offense to get back to classic KF ball control football rather than 3 plays and punt so that the D is a bit fresher late in games.

Reactions: desihawk

The d-line got pushed around because Kelvin Bell (as much as I love him) decided to put Louis Stec in for their TD drive. Black was hurt and walk-on 270 LB Stec was somehow the next best option. If you still have the recording go and check it out. ISU ran right at him all the way down the field.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Polasek hadn't coached OL before...He was more of a yeller/screamer type while lacking the technical knowledge..

Barnett is very well versed in the technical side of OL play. He is more reserved when it comes to the motivational side.
And a lot of fans wanted him fired after his first two years.

Keep in mind that was 10th offensive series of the game for ISU. They D had to be physically and emotionally exhausted because of the complete and total ineptitude of the offense. ISU managed to make critical conversions throughout the drive as well. Nothing was given to them (aside from the garbage late hit call on CDJ).

If memory serves there was a questionable late hit out of bounds call on that drive as well.

The d-line got pushed around because Kelvin Bell (as much as I love him) decided to put Louis Stec in for their TD drive. Black was hurt and walk-on 270 LB Stec was somehow the next best option. If you still have the recording go and check it out. ISU ran right at him all the way down the field.
I don't think Phil is not gonna say something if he didn't agree with a guy.

If memory serves there was a questionable late hit out of bounds call on that drive as well.
Yes, the one one CDJ that I mentioned. Dekkers managed to put it all together on that drive. That’s what Phil banks on not happening. Give up no big plays and make them earn it all the way. Most college qb’s aren’t skilled and patient enough to execute consistently.

Wait, Iowa State scored a total of 10 points last year and we want to challenge the defense???
Much as I despise the overuse (and misuse) of the term gaslighting... no kidding. Have people so accepted the fact that our defense has to save every game that they forget the offense has a responsibility to score some damn points?

We lost some key talent on the D, so there's no guarantee we'll be as stout as last year. That was a pretty exceptional D. But if there's anybody who can push reset, it's Phil Parker. The guy has some magic. Any time you can hold your opponents under 14 pts/game the D has done their job.

Dear God, we HAVE to beat the reptilian STATE team!!!!
I CANNOT take another year of derision from the local (numerous) Clone population.

Much as I despise the overuse (and misuse) of the term gaslighting... no kidding. Have people so accepted the fact that our defense has to save every game that they forget the offense has a responsibility to score some damn points?

We lost some key talent on the D, so there's no guarantee we'll be as stout as last year. That was a pretty exceptional D. But if there's anybody who can push reset, it's Phil Parker. The guy has some magic. Any time you can hold your opponents under 14 pts/game the D has done their job.
A football team should never have to need the defense to score points to win a game. Last year it felt like that was necessary, and the defense definitely did its part - including almost pulling one off against Illinois.

I think people are underestimating just how bad ISU is...even before the betting scandal.

Lil Matty's results would have gotten him canned at many other schools.

Lucky they have that 5* culture.
I don’t think last year was terminable. It’s incredibly tough to win there.

However, I do think they’re going to be pretty bad this year. They’re banking on their D to be really good again. They have like two returning sacks and 5 TFLs. I don’t see how they’ll be near as good defensively. Football is all about line play and they’re green and/or bad on both lines.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I think people are underestimating just how bad ISU is...even before the betting scandal.

Lil Matty's results would have gotten him canned at many other schools.

Lucky they have that 5* culture.

I don’t think last year was terminable. It’s incredibly tough to win there.

However, I do think they’re going to be pretty bad this year. They’re banking on their D to be really good again. They have like two returning sacks and 5 TFLs. I don’t see how they’ll be near as good defensively. Football is all about line play and they’re green and/or bad on both lines.

Yeah, I didn’t think last year was fireable. Struggling again this year might do it tho.

Only way ISU has a slim chance is if Kohl or Becht are the second coming of Steele Jantz for a game and they pull stuff out of their ass.
I don't know much about Becht, but if it turns out to be Kohl, I'm confident that PP's strategy will be to take away his first read and make him move in the pocket. The reason he was a 4-star is because he was great in 7-on-7. Make him play football instead.

They were at least competitive however. We’re not taking the end of the Rhoads era when they were a joke.
Here’s the thing. Coaches that don’t leave ISU when they have a chance end up having an “end of the Rhoads era.”

Every. Single. Time.

Campbell probably should have gotten out a year or two ago. His saving grace is having a much weaker conference moving forward than any of the previous coaches.

Here’s the thing. Coaches that don’t leave ISU when they have a chance end up having an “end of the Rhoads era.”

Every. Single. Time.

Campbell probably should have gotten out a year or two ago. His saving grace is having a much weaker conference moving forward than any of the previous coaches.
Unless its about his kids and letting them finish out school there.

I don't know much about Becht, but if it turns out to be Kohl, I'm confident that PP's strategy will be to take away his first read and make him move in the pocket. The reason he was a 4-star is because he was great in 7-on-7. Make him play football instead.
Kohl isn't very mobile.
He needs a strong OLine.

He might play the "4 game thing", but no way do I think they burn a redshirt for a team that wins 3/4 games.

The gambling casualties are a blessing in disguise.
Campball can survive another year by blaming it on the losses of those 5 starters.

UNI has a legitimate chance to win that first game.
Farley has wood for Iowa State. He knows they should have won the last two games against them and blew it and he was devastated. The apple is ripe for the picking now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT