ADVERTISEMENT

Challenge for the Iowa DL ... game vs ISU

Here’s the thing. Coaches that don’t leave ISU when they have a chance end up having an “end of the Rhoads era.”

Every. Single. Time.

Campbell probably should have gotten out a year or two ago. His saving grace is having a much weaker conference moving forward than any of the previous coaches.
Make a great point. I knew a kid played for McCarney and he said early 00s at his peak he turned down an interview with Michigan St. Campbell was banking on and thinking he could get that ND job and that blew up in his face. Interesting thing is lets say they go 4-8 again this year that'd bring his record to exactly .500. Because until last year I've heard how many clone fans who are ready to build him a statue brag about he will be only the 2nd coach to have a winning record there which is kind of sad. Along the lines you mention with a weaker conf. one thing he has going for him in Ames with previous success they'll endure a 3 year stretch of bad seasons before his seat gets remotely warm.

Unless it’s about his kids and letting them finish out school there.
His wife supposedly loves it in Ames. Makes you
wonder what it’s like in Toledo.😮 I’m pretty sure what you said is a factor. There is nothing wrong with that.

That does not change a single thing about what
happens when ISU coaches don’t leave when they have the chance.

Make a great point. I knew a kid played for McCarney and he said early 00s at his peak he turned down an interview with Michigan St. Campbell was banking on and thinking he could get that ND job and that blew up in his face. Interesting thing is let’s say they go 4-8 again this year that'd bring his record to exactly .500. Because until last year I've heard how many clone fans who are ready to build him a statue brag about he will be only the 2nd coach to have a winning record there which is kind of sad. Along the lines you mention with a weaker conf. one thing he has going for him in Ames with previous success they'll endure a 3 year stretch of bad seasons before his seat gets remotely warm.
Yep. CPR too. Could have left early on, and stayed.

Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce left. Every coach since has either been a disaster, or been fired after not taking an opportunity to leave.

Yep. CPR too. Could have left early on, and stayed.

Johnny Majors and Earl Bruce left. Every coach since has either been a disaster, or been fired after not taking an opportunity to leave.
Who would’ve thought since Bruce left the only smart one was chizik (leaving with a 4-19 record) and thanks to cam Newton won a natty with auburn.

wonder what it’s like in Toledo.😮 I’m pretty sure what you said is a factor. There is nothing wrong with that.

Sure, but he should be set for life already at his age and his kids are set. If I was at that point my stress level would be really damn low. That’s what really matters. Whether some other college wants me later on I could give a crap less if I were him. He can at a minimum be a well paid position coach from here to old age.

typical discombobulated goatf×ck on offense
latest

applause for the new term that I am going to use

LOL...I've been to Toledo. Yeah. I'm sure the peace and quiet of a relatively clean college community looks pretty good. Even if it is Ames.
On a side note, if you ever get a chance to watch a doc on Toledo it's interesting. They've always been one step behind...kind of a punch line.

ISU always makes me nervous.

The defense can play great, but the Hawks simply MUST play better on offense. The offense last year was terrible....I know saying that makes me a "hater" to some people, but it's a statistical fact. I am cautiously optimistic that things will improve this season. Cade should be fine as long as he can stay healthy, and the offensive line can only get better.
The great days during the Chuck Long/Ronnie Harmon years when we would mercilessly walk all over the Cy-Clowns and you could always guarantee a win.

While obviously the O didn't do their job ... and that forced the D to be out on the field FOREVER ... however, there was still the issue that the Iowa D would force 3rd and 4th downs ... but not manage to get off the field. Part of that equation was that the DL did get pushed around a bit ... and that led to an uncomfortably productive day at work for Jirehl Brock. To add insult to injury ... the game was at Kinnick!

Heading into Jack Trice for game two ... will our DL be able to be the brick-wall that they need to be? Or will it take a little while for them to put it all together? Will they see mediocre game-1 tape by ISU, overlook the Cyclones, and then set themselves up for disappointment? I've seen this scenario play out all too often for our Hawks. Will the Iowa DL stamp their foot down and not take no for an answer?
They do need to be better at stopping the run.

While still solid in this aspect overall, situationally, and against certain teams, we have had breakdowns the past two years in stopping teams because we'd get gashed for chunk yardage runs that set up more manageable downs, or prolonged drives.

It was the exact opposite issue 10+ years ago, where we could stop the run, but struggled to get teams off the field once their passing game settled in, and 3rd and 25 was essentially the same hold your breath play as 4th and inches.......................

ISU’s quarterback room is terrible right now and they don’t have a single skill player that scares anyone. They are overhauling the offensive and defensive lines too. As long as Cade is healthy we’re going to walk away with a double digit win in Jack Trice

They do need to be better at stopping the run.

While still solid in this aspect overall, situationally, and against certain teams, we have had breakdowns the past two years in stopping teams because we'd get gashed for chunk yardage runs that set up more manageable downs, or prolonged drives.

It was the exact opposite issue 10+ years ago, where we could stop the run, but struggled to get teams off the field once their passing game settled in, and 3rd and 25 was essentially the same hold your breath play as 4th and inches.......................
The last two years I have a hard time thinking of anyone besides Minnesota - with Ibrahim who executed that cutback running game to perfection, and Michigan who have the 2-time defending Joe Moore award O-line and 2 elite running backs, that Iowa had a difficult time stopping consistently. And even then, one would argue that against minnesota in particular that came because the D just got worn down due to the offense being unable to keep the ball.

The d-line got pushed around because Kelvin Bell (as much as I love him) decided to put Louis Stec in for their TD drive. Black was hurt and walk-on 270 LB Stec was somehow the next best option. If you still have the recording go and check it out. ISU ran right at him all the way down the field.
I remember it too. However, I trust that Coach Bell made the best decision he could based on the game and personnel situation.

I remember it too. However, I trust that Coach Bell made the best decision he could based on the game and personnel situation.
Absolutely no one in that stadium, on either sideline, thought ISU was capable of going 99 yards on the Iowa defense.

If the last few years haven't built up a fair amount of credit with the defensive coaches, I don't know what would.

The last two years I have a hard time thinking of anyone besides Minnesota - with Ibrahim who executed that cutback running game to perfection, and Michigan who have the 2-time defending Joe Moore award O-line and 2 elite running backs, that Iowa had a difficult time stopping consistently. And even then, one would argue that against minnesota in particular that came because the D just got worn down due to the offense being unable to keep the ball.
Well, I did say situationally.

But if I'm gonna provide evidence I'm gonna do so on my computer, now that my phone is mentally handicapped..........

Reactions: sober_teacher
10 days away from opening day for College Football...
and the NCAA can't figure out what the punishment should be for Noah Shannon..
what the hell is going on ?

10 days away from opening day for College Football...
and the NCAA can't figure out what the punishment should be for Noah Shannon..
what the hell is going on ?

Ncaa investigations are the slowest force in the universe.

For both Iowa and Iowa state it should be a relatively simple thing for the ncaa to figure out after 4 months what’s going on.

Reactions: F5n5
Sure, but he should be set for life already at his age and his kids are set. If I was at that point my stress level would be really damn low. That’s what really matters. Whether some other college wants me later on I could give a crap less if I were him. He can at a minimum be a well paid position coach from here to old age.
I’m not arguing he’s unhappy. You’re making points that I agree with. He’d be set for life staying at ISU, or taking a bigger job. I think he probably is happy. He also probably thinks he will win big at ISU. He probably won’t.

I am suggesting he’ll probably end up getting fired. Even ISU wants to win. When/if that happens, he’ll regret not leaving.

I’m not arguing he’s unhappy. You’re making points that I agree with. He’d be set for life staying at ISU, or taking a bigger job. I think he probably is happy. He also probably thinks he will win big at ISU. He probably won’t.

I am suggesting he’ll probably end up getting fired. Even ISU wants to win. When/if that happens, he’ll regret not leaving.
Fortunately for him the conference is much weaker now, so he should be able to rack up enough wins to keep the fans happy.

Maybe, but he could still get employment elsewhere, even is just as a coordinator role.

Maybe, but he could still get employment elsewhere, even is just as a coordinator role.
For sure, but I doubt that’s his plan/goal. Maybe it was to stay at ISU?

I suspect he wanted Michigan/OSU/ND. That ended when they shit the bed in 2021.

For sure, but I doubt that’s his plan/goal. Maybe it was to stay at ISU?

I suspect he wanted Michigan/OSU/ND. That ended when they shit the bed in 2021.
He and Fleck both were at their peak for marketability and turned down good jobs if I recall, both will probably never get those opportunities again.

ISU’s quarterback room is terrible right now and they don’t have a single skill player that scares anyone. They are overhauling the offensive and defensive lines too. As long as Cade is healthy we’re going to walk away with a double digit win in Jack Trice
Actually, the word from camp insiders is that both have looked outstanding....performing well beyond what would be expected from such young QB's. Young...but very talented in both cases. As for skill players, you are entirely incorrect. Happy to let you fellas believe what you'd like though. I'm looking forward to the game...and certainly consider Iowa the favorite...but anyone thinking this won't be a barnburner is operating on unicorn dreams and rainbow wishes.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
I still get worried when the Iowa D faces a third and long. I have seen too many converted by the opponent.
same here, dates back to the norm parker days when you'd rather see 3rd and 2 because you know they were gonna get off the field vs. 3rd and 10 where you weren't quite sure

Actually, the word from camp insiders is that both have looked outstanding....performing well beyond what would be expected from such young QB's. Young...but very talented in both cases. As for skill players, you are entirely incorrect. Happy to let you fellas believe what you'd like though. I'm looking forward to the game...and certainly consider Iowa the favorite...but anyone thinking this won't be a barnburner is operating on unicorn dreams and rainbow wishes.
Shock clone insiders would say this... Hear this type of stuff every year. As for playmakers a team lacking them last year is missing starting and best RB and one of top 2 TEs to gambling along with RT and Hutchison is gone to the pros. Besides Noel there isn't much for proven commodities but forgive us for not buying into the ISU hype about the new guys coming in.

we are 8 days from opening kickoff for college football...
they can't figure out punishment for Noah Shannon ?

what is the hold up ?

is it one guy sitting behind a desk with a pencil in his mouth trying to figure this out ?
what is going on ?

are these guys just not smart enough to come to a resolution ?
its the NCAA... I thought they were the smartest people in the world...
no?

Here’s the thing. Coaches that don’t leave ISU when they have a chance end up having an “end of the Rhoads era.”

Every. Single. Time.

Campbell probably should have gotten out a year or two ago. His saving grace is having a much weaker conference moving forward than any of the previous coaches.
Bingo. Of course when I was saying this three years ago clown fans refused to believe Matty boy was going to end up just like everything other savior of isu football. In the end it isn’t the coach as much as it is the institution. isu will always be isu so great success in football if it ever comes is always fleeting. As predictable as the sun rising in the east.

Farley has wood for Iowa State. He knows they should have won the last two games against them and blew it and he was devastated. The apple is ripe for the picking now.
UNI is going to be pretty good this year too. I don't follow ISU, at all, so didn't realize what kind of shape they were in coming into the season. I do follow UNI since they are a Valley opponent to USD, so I know what kind of team they have coming back and know some of the (positive) off-season changes they've made. If what you all are saying is true, I fully expect UNI to win that game against ISU. For perspective, I would put UNI on that level of SDSU that Iowa played last season. They'll be competing at the top of the Valley, which makes them one of the top FCS teams in the country by default.

Hey Mesa can you give us a link from any isu “camp insider” that has said “brace yourself for a 3-4 win season”? Plenty of 3-4 wins seasons to pick from so there should be plenty of options for you to give us. Otherwise it is a just another season where isu “insiders” are pumping sunshine.

Oh and while you are at it maybe you can answer a simple question that all other clown fans refuse. If the Big Ten West is as bad as clown fans insist then why did they win more Bowl games than the mighty Texas Ten this past season?

Must ignore, or time to run away and hide?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT