ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Neighborhood Ranked Among Most Popular in the US

My coworker's husband grew up in a suburb of Chicago and they used to go to Chicago all the time (his sister lives in Naperville). 5 or 6 years ago he forbid her and the kids to venture into Chicago without him and his BIL as it had gotten far to dangerous even on the Magnificent Mile. 2 or 3 years ago he banned all trips into Chicago for the family as someone likely wouldn't make it back alive. They now "go to Chicago" but it is just to Naperville. Sometimes catch the Joliet minor league team and often eat at Giordano's and shop at the Nape shopping area, do the riverwalk, all the tourist stuff. But she says to this day, don't ever go into Chicago.

My coworker's husband grew up in a suburb of Chicago and they used to go to Chicago all the time (his sister lives in Naperville). 5 or 6 years ago he forbid her and the kids to venture into Chicago without him and his BIL as it had gotten far to dangerous even on the Magnificent Mile. 2 or 3 years ago he banned all trips into Chicago for the family as someone likely wouldn't make it back alive. They now "go to Chicago" but it is just to Naperville. Sometimes catch the Joliet minor league team and often eat at Giordano's and shop at the Nape shopping area, do the riverwalk, all the tourist stuff. But she says to this day, don't ever go into Chicago.
Pretty funny that your coworker's husband is such a pussy. My 24-year-old lives in Logan Square and loves it.

Theft is driving the overall increase in crime. Car theft is up 114% since 2018, and other thefts increased by 32% since 2018. Just last year, motor vehicle theft increased by 102% and theft by 56%.

Pretty funny that your coworker's husband is such a pussy. My 24-year-old lives in Logan Square and loves it.
You shouldn’t be calling anyone a pussy. Considering you wouldn’t last one second in area of Chicago or anywhere without a overpriced craft beer Marxist brewery. You live in the biggest liberal bubble it’s absolutely pathetic.

Theft is driving the overall increase in crime. Car theft is up 114% since 2018, and other thefts increased by 32% since 2018. Just last year, motor vehicle theft increased by 102% and theft by 56%.
Nationwide trend. It really started to take off during the pandemic and hasn't stopped. The Quad Cities has seen a massive increase in vehicle thefts too. To such an extent the area police departments launched a public service campaign:

img-0611.JPG

This is so effing stupid. My wife has worked at one of the countries best hospitals right off the Mag Mile (NMH) and I’ve worked in the loop for over 15 years. And we live in Lakeview. Somehow both of us are still alive. And somehow have never even been mugged.

Is crime worse than it was 15 years ago. Sure. Was there a time I avoided downtown. Sure, during the George Floyd rioting. But to be worried, today, that someone “wouldn’t make it back alive” tells me all I need to know about this person.

Lol, meant more figuratively than literally. Just emphasizing I love where I live. I do understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I had to adjust a bit moving from Iowa too. But some people’s preconceived ideas of what Chicago really is are so far off base.
Nisei Lounge would be an excellent locale for GIAOT's Fight Bar.

Lol, meant more figuratively than literally. Just emphasizing I love where I live. I do understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I had to adjust a bit moving from Iowa too. But some people’s preconceived ideas of what Chicago really is are so far off base.
I know dude. was just messing around. I have family in Glenview by way of Lakeview. Love visiting them.

Reactions: WrigleyHawkeye20
That's also a pleasant trip - well as pleasant as can be expected - especially before/after Sox games. Further south is the South Side that people are weary of.
You’d have lost Northern, IMCC, Ryan McMahon, Sixers, Coffland14, and a few others at the stairs to the Red Line. Or, at anything past changing planes at O’Hara, for that matter.

That's also a pleasant trip - well as pleasant as can be expected - especially before/after Sox games. Further south is the South Side that people are weary of.
My wife worked as a nurse at U of C Medical Center on 59th St. for a brief period of time. I suggested when her contract ended that she not renew. She didn't.

That's a bit over the top. I've never considered Naperville or Joliet as a tourist destination, but I did live in Naperville for 2.5 years, very nice town, but stay out of Aurora, it's super scary there! :D

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk
My wife worked as a nurse at U of C Medical Center on 59th St. for a brief period of time. I suggested when her contract ended that she not renew. She didn't.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, Hyde Park and esp. 55th and 57th Streets are very nice, I'd argue much better than Lakeview unless you're a 20-something drunk. I'm sure that your wife knew that nobody's taking the red line down to UofC when the Metra is right there........

Different strokes for different folks I guess, Hyde Park and esp. 55th and 57th Streets are very nice, I'd argue much better than Lakeview unless you're a 20-something drunk. I'm sure that your wife knew that nobody's taking the red line down to UofC when the Metra is right there........
She always drove in and parked at the hospital and she worked days. I wasn't super concerned with that area during the day honestly, probably just overly cautious. This was over 20 years ago as well.

My son is moving to Wrigleyville next month, can see Wrigley from his porch. Just so much to do. He looked at a lot of places in Lakeview and would have been really to be there, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT