ADVERTISEMENT

Chicken wing ethics question.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I was at my local Hy-Vee and as I went into a checkout aisle the young man working told me I'd be his last customer and flipped off the light for the aisle. He was chatty and pleasant enough as he started ringing things through. He got to my chicken wings and lifted them off the belt and straight into my eco-friendly cloth bag without scanning them. He then grabbed seven more items and put them all in. He rang it up and the total was $13.75. A bit of a dilemma, because I was wondering if he was so chatty and carefree at the end of his shift he missed all of the stuff, or he just didn't give AF and figured he was fighting the system?
I suggested to him he'd missed the wings, and he voided the transaction and rang everything through again, and it was $38.00.
Take the free food, or be an upstanding person?
And, CSB.

Reactions: Torg and DFSNOLE
I was at my local Hy-Vee and as I went into a checkout aisle the young man working told me I'd be his last customer and flipped off the light for the aisle. He was chatty and pleasant enough as he started ringing things through. He got to my chicken wings and lifted them off the belt and straight into my eco-friendly cloth bag without scanning them. He then grabbed seven more items and put them all in. He rang it up and the total was $13.75. A bit of a dilemma, because I was wondering if he was so chatty and carefree at the end of his shift he missed all of the stuff, or he just didn't give AF and figured he was fighting the system?
I suggested to him he'd missed the wings, and he voided the transaction and rang everything through again, and it was $38.00.
And, CSB.
So shines a good dead in a weary world.... You passed the test Charlie! You Won! I believe you now get to be the Willy Wonka of Hy-vee and fly your magical elevator to deli department.

It was the end of his shift and he was trying to get out of there and give you a break at the same time. You just had to be good guy, but all you did was create more work for this poor guy having to void everything and ringing it all up again.

And, CSB.
disappointed oh no GIF

Saw the thread title and thought this was a question about if he should try Pelosi’s Chicken being that it’s only LEFT wings. Heyoooooo!!!!

Reactions: CaboKP
I'd do the same. I don't need the break and wouldn't want him to get in trouble later for a couple bucks.
Appreciate the sentiment if it was intentional, but I'm not starving.
This is the way I see it. At the end of life, will I look back and feel good that I saved $20 because the cashier either intentionally or, worse, unintentionally didn’t ring something up? Maybe it wasn’t intentional and then the dude gets shit-canned for letting inventory walk. Or can I look back in peace and say, “I did my best to be a good person?”

I wouldn’t hesitate to correct the young man in that scenario. He could lose his job for that mental error, and I’m not gonna knowingly steal. You did the right thing op, but, there never should have been a hesitation to do what you did.

Because there is no mention of your alerting the manager, you obviously accepted the "free" items and proceeded outside to do drugs with your new criminal friend so you could enjoy your ill-gotten gains doped up.
I hope your grocery store wings were delicious and the dope washes away what you did today.

Because there is no mention of your alerting the manager, you obviously accepted the "free" items and proceeded outside to do drugs with your new criminal friend so you could enjoy your ill-gotten gains doped up.
I hope your grocery store wings were delicious and the dope washes away what you did today.
They are basically taking food out of Jackson Mahomes' and Paul Wahlberg's mouths.

And, CSB.
You did the right thing. Did you ask him why he did not ring up the wings and other items? How did he react when you said he missed the wings? Missing one item is probably unintentional, missing 8 items is intentional. Since he didn't know you, It sounds like he was pissed at Hy-Vee. I worked at Publix when I was in high school. One of my fellow bag boys had a friend who was a cashier. One night near closing, he went through her line with a case of beer and a stick of gum. She only rang up the gum. They got caught and were both fired that night. I think they had done this before and were being monitored.

You know how to tell when someone has been married too long? OP missed out on some butt secks.

Good job OP.
Side note;
Has anyone here ever mentioned an error in your favor and the cashier gets angry and says you're wrong?
It has happened to me 3 times, each was a $10 mistake in my favor.

Good job OP.
Side note;
Has anyone here ever mentioned an error in your favor and the cashier gets angry and says you're wrong?
It has happened to me 3 times, each was a $10 mistake in my favor.
Yes! Once at Burger King. The lady was probably so used to people trying to scam she got angry and defensive and didn’t want to hear what we were saying. Finally we just pocketed it and left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT