ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick Highlights

Bohannon is not necessarily the problem, it is the talent (or lack thereof) surrounding him. This obsession some have with landing a “true PG” is misguided. Iowa needs an athletic, slashing guard who can get to the rim and create shots. It doesn’t matter if that player is a PG or a wing.

Bohannon isn’t the right fit at PG for this team, but Fran could just as easily address that by bringing in more athletic wings to help Bohannon out. He would be a really good PG for the right team/roster.

That is somewhat true...given where we are, an athletic 2 or 3 with dribble drive skills would be a big help. However, your PG has the ball the most in his hands, so you are better off with
Gesell didn't have to fight just to get the offense started, because he is a lot more athletic. The difference on the defensive end is night and day. While the players around Gesell were better all-round players, JBo can't feed Cook or find Moss/Ellingson in their sweet spots, because he can't lose his defender. JBo is a much better shooter. Iowa's movement away from the ball is awful, so it isn't only JBo.

Gesell didn't get picked up at 3pt line because he wasn't a good 3pt shooter. He got to rack and got his shot swatted, especially at crunch time. The Airball he threw up in Temple game pretty much sums up his career for crunch time play.

I think most would agree that we are very fortunate to have Bohannon. He is the closest thing we have to Jok; someone who, with 0 help from offensive ball movement can score points by hitting deep 3's. Can you imagine this roster without him? My biggest disappointment is that he doesn't have a back court partner to set him up. Kid works his butt off to get the looks he does.

Reactions: Mcbooger
That is somewhat true...given where we are, an athletic 2 or 3 with dribble drive skills would be a big help. However, your PG has the ball the most in his hands, so you are better off with

Gesell didn't get picked up at 3pt line because he wasn't a good 3pt shooter. He got to rack and got his shot swatted, especially at crunch time. The Airball he threw up in Temple game pretty much sums up his career for crunch time play.
Don't disagree about the end of games, although that was as much a coaching problem as anything. I believe that overall, Gesell was an above average PG, and we don't have one of those right now, although Connor could become one.

I love reading old threads.....
I’m with you. With so much uncertainty surrounding this season and nothing to talk about, these old threads are priceless. So very difficult to project players from HS highlights, but I felt it was obvious CF was gonna be so much more than AF or BE. Kid’s a flat out baller. Maybe never all B1g, but a guy you can win with and sometimes win because of.

On the plus side, so many of the posters in this thread that were negative about not only Fredrick, but pretty much all our players, have seem to disappeared or been renamed.

On the plus side, so many of the posters in this thread that were negative about not only Fredrick, but pretty much all our players, have seem to disappeared or been renamed.

"Fredrick was a 3-star recruit from Kentucky who couldn't get an offer from Calipari!"

Yes, they are idiots

Yeah but Fleming was playing at a top prep school. Little different competition.

Better competition limits what you can do.

I dont think they project much different at all, other than Fleming being more athletic.

Same guy offered both players.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT