ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Signs w/ Kentucky. Iowa Claiming Tampering? Level II Violation when 3rd Party Contacts a School When Athlete Discussed Enrolled at Another School

It might be true Kentucky didn't reach out to him, but pretty sure Kentucky reached out to someone. Or someone reached out to Kentucky. There's no way he leaves Iowa without having a plan for where he was headed.

Why is this really an issue and why are people getting all spun up about it? There are legal ways for players to gauge potential interest from other programs in them. If Calipari was so stupid as to have direct contact with CJ prior to entering the portal, I guess there might be a case of tampering. But I doubt that happened.

He wanted to leave. So he did.

Why is this really an issue and why are people getting all spun up about it? There are legal ways for players to gauge potential interest from other programs in them. If Calipari was so stupid as to have direct contact with CJ prior to entering the portal, I guess there might be a case of tampering. But I doubt that happened.

I really don't care and I'm not "spun up about it". He left and that was his decision. But I don't have to accept his bs where he says he wasn't contacted when we all know there was some kind of contact. He's just trying to cover his butt (like most people would), but I can call bs on it.

I really don't care and I'm not "spun up about it". He left and that was his decision. But I don't have to accept his bs where he says he wasn't contacted when we all know there was some kind of contact. He's just trying to cover his butt (like most people would), but I can call bs on it.
If CJ would just shut up instead of trying deny this it might have gone away quietly. But with his denials after the fact and the stream of info from before he announced (some from family members) implying that there was contact, it seems like a lot of smoke for no fire. He should just shut up and live with the slime trail.

Me thinks that CJ doth protest too much.

Since he has gone "on the record" multiple times, I'm not sure why he feels compelled to keep "clarifying." Guilty consciences make people do weird things.

Do not look behind the curtain.

Because I believe contact with family members is also a no-no, which is what has been asserted since before he even entered the portal

Because I believe contact with family members is also a no-no, which is what has been asserted since before he even entered the portal
Who is having the contact? How connected to the program can the contact be? If CJ’s AAU coach(no KU connection) contacts someone in Iowa who he knows and can get the message to CJ indirectly then no harm, no foul. Cal through his sordid past isn’t going to get caught red handed on something like this. He pushes the envelope when it’s a far higher level and has walked every time.

Frankly, I don't care if there was 3rd party contact, family contact, or if CJ sat in Calipari's living room and discussed it face-to-face. All CJ had to do was enter the portal earlier and then all those things become legal anyway. And, I don't think anything would have changed if he entered the portal sooner. Fran would have simply re-recruited JBo sooner.

As far as an NCAA violation, the penalty for that is probably a scolding and a "please don't do that again".

CJ was a good Hawk. I hope he does well at Kentucky.

Frankly, I don't care if there was 3rd party contact, family contact, or if CJ sat in Calipari's living room and discussed it face-to-face. All CJ had to do was enter the portal earlier and then all those things become legal anyway. And, I don't think anything would have changed if he entered the portal sooner. Fran would have simply re-recruited JBo sooner.

As far as an NCAA violation, the penalty for that is probably a scolding and a "please don't do that again".

JoBo doesn't count against the schollie limit so losing CJ had nothing to it other than it might have given JoBo another reason to return. McC could still take a scorer if one expressed interest in Iowa.

JoBo doesn't count against the schollie limit so losing CJ had nothing to it other than it might have given JoBo another reason to return. McC could still take a scorer if one expressed interest in Iowa.
I don't think Fran was going to go after JBo if CJ had stayed.

He certainly could have gone after another SG, but I don't think he would have,

I don't think Fran was going to go after JBo if CJ had stayed.

He certainly could have gone after another SG, but I don't think he would have,
CJ was never what I would call a reliable player. He did the right things on the floor but he was always injured. Always. With that in mind, I think that McC wanted JoBo to come back from the start. That might be why CJ left, or maybe it was a coincidence, either way I am ok with him leaving. Glad he is no longer our worry.

What difference does it make? The NCAA doesn't have the stomach to take on Calipari, or any of the big boys really. Just like in real life, different rules for different people.
I would normally agree. But many people in the SEC and particularly the Big Ten do not like, in fact hate, Calipari. Is he vulnerable? Maybe.

You're an idiot. The foot fairy quit on his team. It would be different if he had played his ass off and left after the season ended. If you can't watch the last few games and see he wasn't into it than being an idiot is the least of your worries.

You're an idiot. The foot fairy quit on his team. It would be different if he had played his ass off and left after the season ended. If you can't watch the last few games and see he wasn't into it than being an idiot is the least of your worries.
Yes....absolutely. Now maybe his foot was still an issue but I posted this many times if you go back and see CJ's engagement and participation during Luka's jersey retirement vid after the Wisky game.....he did NOT have his head in the celebration. Standing in the back of the team while other team members were participating. Dude was out of IC for a while well before this game........................imo. And to add.....he is playing hoops somewhere else....it happens, best of luck to him and so what.....we will be OK.

• Haha
Reactions: TrianglePlace
just like most others are saying it sucks he transferred and I probably would been upset about him transferring anyway especially transferring to the slime ball of a coach he went to play for. The way it all went down makes it so much worse In my eyes.

There was probably communication with someone close to CJ before he hit the portal, that seems obvious. However, that doesn't mean he talked with teams before entering the portal which was the accusation.
<<There was probably communication with someone close to CJ>>

Uncle Joe. And it was STILL a violation. ANY family member=violation.

It would never be Calipari. The rule calls them an agent of the program and then defines all the possible scenarios that would classify someone as an agent.

Uncle Joe seems to be a fit for an agent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT