ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Signs w/ Kentucky. Iowa Claiming Tampering? Level II Violation when 3rd Party Contacts a School When Athlete Discussed Enrolled at Another School

If you have been following this thread since April 19, you would know that there was tampering involved. As you can see in the orig post, the Kentucky media was practically bragging about the fact that CJ was on his way to Kentucky.

And it is also 100% clear that CJ flat out lied to Fran and his teammates prior to announcing he would be transferring.

I hope karma hits CJ over the next 2 years.

I don't think any Hawk fans will be cheering him on, either.
grow up

Reactions: Fox2monk
Everyone is looking at this from a perspective of what CJ should have done.
Like, “He lied.” Last winter obviously he was exploring transferring. I guess you all think a player should tell his coach, “I might stay, but I’m also thinking about transferring.“ That just isn’t gonna happen. It’s a situation where the player’s interest and the coach/institution’s interest are opposed. And CJ did what was best for him as he saw it, which was to explore transferring but also to keep his place at Iowa in case he didn’t like what he heard in pre-transfer talks.

The more important question, which I don’t see getting much attention is: Why did he choose to transfer? Wasn’t CJ the shining example of the idea that someone out there loved Fran as a coach?

It's ok in my mind if CJ transfers or not.
The accusation of tampering before hand is the issue at hand here.
Proof of the tampering is what the answer is here.
IF that is proved the case then Calpari should be attended to by the NCAA

Reactions: pmtdc
It's ok in my mind if CJ transfers or not.
The accusation of tampering before hand is the issue at hand here.
Proof of the tampering is what the answer is here.
IF that is proved the case then Calpari should be attended to by the NCAA
I would guess that there are enough people involved in carrying messages between the two parties that nothing is provable. This game ain't new and these coaches know the stakes

If there was tampering? You can't be serious.

You are wrong and ignorant. You are picking one side and ignoring what has been reported. Did you listen to the Chad Leistikow podcast I posted in this thread? Or do you just ignore the facts? It's pretty clear how this went down and that CJ lied to Fran and his teammates. I am not picking sides. I am simply going with what has been reported and using some logic, which you obviously don't possess. And try not to be so butt hurt when I point out your clear deficiencies.

And you are not only wrong and ignorant but a complete fool for cheering for CJ moving forward.
Fran, turn it down a notch or two. We're all entitled to an opinion.

Like, “He lied.” Last winter obviously he was exploring transferring. I guess you all think a player should tell his coach, “I might stay, but I’m also thinking about transferring.“ That just isn’t gonna happen. It’s a situation where the player’s interest and the coach/institution’s interest are opposed. And CJ did what was best for him as he saw it, which was to explore transferring but also to keep his place at Iowa in case he didn’t like what he heard in pre-transfer talks.

The more important question, which I don’t see getting much attention is: Why did he choose to transfer? Wasn’t CJ the shining example of the idea that someone out there loved Fran as a coach?
Except, if he was thinking about transferring, he owed it to his coach ad teammates to be honest. When one looks at the last two months of the season, in retrospect, I have to wonder if he was actually out there to help the Hawks win, or whether he was just biding time, or what he was thinking, exactly.

Except, if he was thinking about transferring, he owed it to his coach ad teammates to be honest. When one looks at the last two months of the season, in retrospect, I have to wonder if he was actually out there to help the Hawks win, or whether he was just biding time, or what he was thinking, exactly.

No way players are going to start telling their coaches they are thinking about leaving. Transferring is one of the few times the player will be empowered to do what he wants to do and CJ played it close to the vest...he only let certain friends and teammates know what he was going to do.

When Fran has interviewed or had conversations with other schools while he has been a coach do you think he should tell the players each time that happens?

No way players are going to start telling their coaches they are thinking about leaving. Transferring is one of the few times the player will be empowered to do what he wants to do and CJ played it close to the vest...he only let certain friends and teammates know what he was going to do.

When Fran has interviewed or had conversations with other schools while he has been a coach do you think he should tell the players each time that happens?
Yes. But I am an idealist.

🙂

Reactions: Legend12
None of us truly know what happened at this point. I have heard multiple reports that CJ and Fran spoke about the rumors of CJ entering the transfer portal and CJ assured Fran that he was committed to Iowa. I do find it hard to believe that Fran would talk up how excited CJ was to rejoin the team less than week before CJ entered the portal if Fran knew that this was a possibility. Uncle Joe has been given opportunities to talk about what happened and has decided against it so far. I do not wish CJ any ill will, but I will not be rooting for him either.

You nailed it.

Chad Leistikow (the Register's Hawkeye beat writer), on his HawkCentral radio show, said that CJ told everyone (Fran & teammates) he was coming back and then blindsided them with the news he wanted out.

Here is that HawkCentral podcast. The link to the entire thing is at the end of this post.

After you read this and hear for yourself, if I were you, I would go with what Chad Leistikow stated on air. He has legitimate sources and this is what he reported.

Go to the very middle, bottom of the web page for the timer. At the 13:20 mark Chad said the following: (1) Iowa hasn't even issued an official press release; instead they issued a 1 sentence statement on social media after his name went into the portal. (2) based on his sources, Chad said the team felt confident that CJ would be returning. The rumors were addressed within the team and by CJ. Chad stated that he does believe the decision CJ made on Sunday April 18 where he told Coach McCaffery and his teammates that he was leaving (and entering the transfer portal) did catch them ALL off guard.

Mark Emmert said he started hearing the rumors of CJ to Kentucky from more than 1 source as soon as the season ended (on March 22 Iowa lost to Oregon).

Mark reveals in this podcast that he is also Facebook friends with Joe Fredrick so Mark saw the same Joe Fredrick Facebook posts that have been posted in this thread. Mark concluded in March, based on the Joe Fredrick Facebook posts, that it was highly probable CJ was moving on.

Chad said CJ's exit has been very tense, where it's a relationship that ended really badly and really suddenly. Mark then wondered what was left of the relationship between Fran and Joe. Mark said CJ was going to Iowa games as a child; Joe would take him.

The entire podcast:

Last edited:

He shouldn't have been on the floor.

CJ played it so close to the vest that rumors started flying in Jan/Feb......

Don't you love how Legend pretends to be program insider with breaking news? He made a very general statement above that CJ told VERY few people about his desires and intentions. Well, duh, anybody could figure that out; the very few people included Joe and probably his parents. So, that's 3 people. It's not exactly earth shattering news.

What a bunch of irrelevant BS this guy posts.

cc: @Moral

Reactions: DewHawk

Total BS. If CJ and his uncle were conspiring to leave Iowa and had made a deal with Kentucky, he owed it to his coach, not a few friends, to let him know of his plans. You could tell by the terse send off the program gave CJ that they were unhappy about the way he handled his leaving the team and I don't blame them.

And how many of those rumors emanated from CJ and Iowa City? CJ's uncle is the one who was saying things and making social media posts that fueled the fire. CJ told VERY few people about his desires and intentions.
So are you implying that his uncle was working without CJ's knowledge? Of course CJ told very few people that he had been tampered with by Kentucky where he was planning on going. That would have acknowledge breaking the tampering rules as CJ was not yet in the portal. You act like CJ was an innocent in all this.

Total BS. If CJ and his uncle were conspiring to leave Iowa and had made a deal with Kentucky, he owed it to his coach, not a few friends, to let him know of his plans. You could tell by the terse send off the program gave CJ that they were unhappy about the way he handled his leaving the team and I don't blame them.

It's clear CJ lied to his teammates and coaches up until the day he told them he was leaving

Reactions: BDJHawk
It's clear CJ lied to his teammates and coaches up until the day he told them he was leaving

Does this bickering really matter? C.J.'s gone to another school. 10 pages and still going. He's gone, not a Hawkeye anymore. Does it really matter if C.J. stiffed Iowa? Nothing is going to change what is already done. Neither Franisdaman or Legend12 or anyone else posting in this tread is ever going to bring back C.J. He's gone, let it go!
You don't see coach Fran or any of his staff going to the media and still complaining about how this all went down do you? No, you don't, but all the butt hurt Iowa fans are still bitching about it because an off injured Iowa starter that averaged just over 7 points a game left to go to another school near his home town. Big fing deal!
I'll guarantee you that someone on the current roster will gladly take the departed players minutes and probably cover his lost stats too.
Did I mention that C.J. is gone? Yep, he's gone, gone, gone. Let's go another 10 or 20 pages to really show how we feel about how he left Iowa instead of talking about the players that are still on the roster and will be providing us Iowa fans will new threads to talk about. I'm excited about the upcoming season with a roster of players that want to be here and not about players that no longer are Hawkeyes.....

So are you implying that his uncle was working without CJ's knowledge? Of course CJ told very few people that he had been tampered with by Kentucky where he was planning on going. That would have acknowledge breaking the tampering rules as CJ was not yet in the portal. You act like CJ was an innocent in all this.

Ive never implied CJ was totally innocent, only that he did what he should have done and kept things between him, his family, and those teammates and friends he trusted the most.

You do realize there is no evidence of tampering, right? CJ was a starter on a top 10 team...Joe knew he’d pretty much get to pick and choose the school he wanted to go to, and that was backed up by the offers and interest he received when he entered the portal. Joe wanted him to go to KY where he’d be close to home and away from some of the issues CJ was dealing with at Iowa.

Ive never implied CJ was totally innocent, only that he did what he should have done and kept things between him, his family, and those teammates and friends he trusted the most.

You do realize there is no evidence of tampering, right? CJ was a starter on a top 10 team...Joe knew he’d pretty much get to pick and choose the school he wanted to go to, and that was backed up by the offers and interest he received when he entered the portal. Joe wanted him to go to KY where he’d be close to home and away from some of the issues CJ was dealing with at Iowa.

Another legendary take.

@Moral @TheTruthTheWholeTruth @DewHawk , I thought you would enjoy this one. No evidence of tampering he says. And feel free to go back to the orig post as a reminder of what actually went down (including UI Compliance's tweet).

Reactions: pmtdc

One other item of note that has not really been stated...this was not a case of CJ going to Kentucky so he left Iowa. This was a case of CJ leaving Iowa so he went to Kentucky.

Reactions: weeterkane
One other item of note that has not really been stated...this was not a case of CJ going to Kentucky so he left Iowa. This was a case of CJ leaving Iowa so he went to Kentucky.

Why do you say that? Genuinely curious.

IMO, CJ was leaving Iowa for one place and one place only, Kentucky. If Kentucky doesn’t show interest in CJ, he’s back in Iowa’s starting lineup next year.

If CJ was leaving Iowa, so he went to Kentucky, he doesn’t lie to his coach up until the very last minute. CJ doesn’t wait as long as he did to enter the portal if he’s leaving Iowa, just to leave Iowa.

edit. Fixed my WOB

Last edited:
Reactions: BDJHawk
Don't you love how Legend pretends to be program insider with breaking news? He made a very general statement above that CJ told VERY few people about his desires and intentions. Well, duh, anybody could figure that out; the very few people included Joe and probably his parents. So, that's 3 people. It's not exactly earth shattering news.

What a bunch of irrelevant BS this guy posts.

cc: @Moral
He's a ****ing moron.

I agree with you that there should be more consequences to tampering. Blocking CJ from Kentucky makes sense, because right now there is no incentive for anyone to play by the rules, which state that discussions between the new school and the athlete (or someone representing the athlete) can only happen AFTER the athlete enters the transfer portal.

UnoHawkeye wrote in the the duplicate thread that, and I quote, Kentucky maybe committed tampering. They maybe committed tampering??? Incredible. How anyone can be so blind is beyond me. It is NOT a coincidence that UI Compliance sent out that tampering tweet on April 20. That tweet is at the end of this post.

UNO then said, and I quote, it isn't an indictment on CJ, which is another laughable statement. CJ was not blind to what was going on as early as February and it was CJ who was lying to his teammates and his coaches up until the very day he told Fran he was leaving the program.

See post 375 above. As you can see, based on his sources, Chad Leistikow (the Register beat writer) said ON AIR that the team had felt confident that CJ would be returning. The rumors were addressed within the team and by CJ. Chad stated that he does believe the decision CJ made on Sunday April 18 where he told Coach McCaffery and his teammates that he was leaving (and entering the transfer portal) did catch them ALL off guard.

And as everyone can see in the timeline in the orig post, its interesting that all of the Kentucky sports people knew that CJ to Kentucky was, for the most part, a done deal since as early as February. And, as you can see, when Leistikow tweeted on April 18 that CJ was leaving Iowa, Matt Jones, the creator & host of Kentucky Sports Radio, tweeted "the first piece falls."

The first piece falls. Everything was in motion, as designed. Those Matt Jones tweets are also at the end of this post

And then UNO said not wishing CJ well, and I quote, doesn't make sense, even though again, CJ (1) was involved with the tampering as early as February and (2) lied to his teammates and coaches, to their faces, up until the very day he told Fran he was leaving the program.

Why would you wish SOMEONE LIKE that well?

Try not to let the decisions of 18-22 year old college kids impact you so much going forward. Either that or seek some type of help.

I agree with you that there should be more consequences to tampering. Blocking CJ from Kentucky makes sense, because right now there is no incentive for anyone to play by the rules, which state that discussions between the new school and the athlete (or someone representing the athlete) can only happen AFTER the athlete enters the transfer portal.

UnoHawkeye wrote in the the duplicate thread that, and I quote, Kentucky maybe committed tampering. They maybe committed tampering??? Incredible. How anyone can be so blind is beyond me. It is NOT a coincidence that UI Compliance sent out that tampering tweet on April 20. That tweet is at the end of this post.

UNO then said, and I quote, it isn't an indictment on CJ, which is another laughable statement. CJ was not blind to what was going on as early as February and it was CJ who was lying to his teammates and his coaches up until the very day he told Fran he was leaving the program.

See post 375 above. As you can see, based on his sources, Chad Leistikow (the Register beat writer) said ON AIR that the team had felt confident that CJ would be returning. The rumors were addressed within the team and by CJ. Chad stated that he does believe the decision CJ made on Sunday April 18 where he told Coach McCaffery and his teammates that he was leaving (and entering the transfer portal) did catch them ALL off guard.

And as everyone can see in the timeline in the orig post, its interesting that all of the Kentucky sports people knew that CJ to Kentucky was, for the most part, a done deal since as early as February. And, as you can see, when Leistikow tweeted on April 18 that CJ was leaving Iowa, Matt Jones, the creator & host of Kentucky Sports Radio, tweeted "the first piece falls."

The first piece falls. Everything was in motion, as designed. Those Matt Jones tweets are also at the end of this post

And then UNO said not wishing CJ well, and I quote, doesn't make sense, even though again, CJ (1) was involved with the tampering as early as February and (2) lied to his teammates and coaches, to their faces, up until the very day he told Fran he was leaving the program.

Why would you wish SOMEONE LIKE that well?

These plus the posts from Uncle Joe create a pretty solid paper trail of impropriety. Maybe not enough for a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard like in a criminal case, but certainly a preponderance.

It is pretty clear what happened. CJ wanted to play for hometown kentucky. Kentucky had interest but couldnt state for sure that there would be a spot open. Instead of communicating this to the hawks, CJ told the team that he wasn't planning to transfer. Once Kentucky saw how the transfer portal unfolded, they decided to offer CJ an official spot under the table, and CJ decided to transfer. Based on all of the comments from players and coaches and media and family members, I think most people would agree that this was how things shaked out.

All this was done behind closed doors and, because it was done without Iowa's knowledge, Fran and Co. were caught completely with their pants down and unable to make headway with other transfers. A kid can transfer to other schools, sure, but the way it was handled was poor and, on Kentucky's behalf, improper. Kentucky was able to have its cake and eat it too completely at Iowa's expense.

I have been disappointed that Fredrick is leaving, and I am frustrated with the way it seems to have gone down. That said, I think it's worth noting that Toussaint, Garza, Ogundele, Wieskamp, Nunge, Keegan Murray, and Perkins have all responded with words of encouragement on Instagram. (As well as Ryan Kriener, Riley Till, and Maishe Dailey, fwiw). (I might have missed a few others.)

Those are all guys who know CJ and the overall situation far better than any of us. If they can get over it and wish CJ the best, the rest of us probably can too.

Uncle Joe convinced him the grass was bluer at Kentucky

I don't hold it against guys like Nunge to transfer for the reason(s) he did. I get it. The CJF situations seems different. At least I haven't heard anything where there are good reasons why he left (family issues, etc.). It's not like he wasn't getting PT or something like that.

I guess everyone is titled to transfer if that's what they want, but in my mind, CJF is a turncoat and this doesn't endear him to me, so I won't be rooting for him. He's a Kentucky player now. No more, no less. Call it sour grapes if you want, but tell me why I should be a CJF fan the way he bolted for greener pastures.

As for Kentucky and Calipari.. Tampering wouldn't surprise me one bit. We all know Calipari's reputation as a squeaky clean recruiter. LOL.

I don't hold it against guys like Nunge to transfer for the reason(s) he did. I get it. The CJF situations seems different. At least I haven't heard anything where there are good reasons why he left (family issues, etc.). It's not like he wasn't getting PT or something like that.

I guess everyone is titled to transfer if that's what they want, but in my mind, CJF is a turncoat and this doesn't endear him to me, so I won't be rooting for him. He's a Kentucky player now. No more, no less. Call it sour grapes if you want, but tell me why I should be a CJF fan the way he bolted for greener pastures.

As for Kentucky and Calipari.. Tampering wouldn't surprise me one bit. We all know Calipari's reputation as a squeaky clean recruiter. LOL.

Disappointing you wont be rooting for Rebraca this season too if that is how you really feel.

Disappointing you wont be rooting for Rebraca this season too if that is how you really feel.

I'll be rooting for him because he's an IOWA player now. I wouldn't expect North Dakota fans to root for him since he left their program. You understand the difference between rooting for an incoming transfer and someone who left your program, right?

If you want to root for CJF in Kentucky games, go right ahead. I'll pass.

But why would you root for a turncoat?

Because he's a Hawkeye now. I'll root for anyone in an IOWA jersey. Players that leave, meh, whatever. I don't feel obligated to care much more about those who leave. I believe this is clear enough of an explanation.

Any more questions?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TrianglePlace

Nunge was honest from the very beginning about his intentions. CJ was not.

what bugs me the most is the Chad Leistikow reporting where CJ had addressed the Kentucky rumors and lied to this teammates and coaches when he said he was returning to Iowa. CJ had met with Fran at least 2 times after the season ended. That is why a few days prior to CJ announcing he was leaving, in a press conference, Fran stated CJ would not require foot surgery, was about to return to on court activities and was chomping at the bit.

And all other reports indicate the Fredricks were talking to Kentucky as early as February. So, CJ basically bailed on this team months before season's end.

And that is why it does not feel right to you. In addition, there was tampering involved, which is against NCAA rules. But Cal has never been a proponent of following the rules. The whole thing...CJ the liar, CJ the quitter, and slime ball Cal, is simply disgusting.

But I guess, bottom line, CJ has proven that he will lie to your face, so perhaps he and Cal are a perfect fit. I hope CJ, Cal and the Kentucky fans get all the karma they deserve.

Nunge was honest from the very beginning about his intentions. CJ was not.

what bugs me the most is the Chad Leistikow reporting where CJ had addressed the Kentucky rumors and lied to this teammates and coaches when he said he was returning to Iowa. CJ had met with Fran at least 2 times after the season ended. That is why a few days prior to CJ announcing he was leaving, in a press conference, Fran stated CJ would not require foot surgery, was about to return to on court activities and was chomping at the bit.

And all other reports indicate the Fredricks were talking to Kentucky as early as February. So, CJ basically bailed on this team months before season's end.

And that is why it does not feel right to you. In addition, there was tampering involved, which is against NCAA rules. But Cal has never been a proponent of following the rules. The whole thing...CJ the liar, CJ the quitter, and slime ball Cal, is simply disgusting.

But I guess, bottom line, CJ has proven that he will lie to your face, so perhaps he and Cal are a perfect fit. I hope CJ, Cal and the Kentucky fans get all the karma they deserve.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT