ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Signs w/ Kentucky. Iowa Claiming Tampering? Level II Violation when 3rd Party Contacts a School When Athlete Discussed Enrolled at Another School

I'll be rooting for him because he's an IOWA player now. I wouldn't expect North Dakota fans to root for him since he left their program. You understand the difference between rooting for an incoming transfer and someone who left your program, right?

If you want to root for CJF in Kentucky games, go right ahead. I'll pass.

Also, Rebracca graduated from ND. CJ hasn't.

And there's a BIG difference between CJ and Filip.

Filip:

* Has graduated from UND

* Was honest about this intentions where his UND coaches tweeted out their BEST WISHES to him as he moved on to his new school

* Was not shopping around for a new team in February

* Followed the rules and did not start talking to new schools until AFTER he entered the transfer portal

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
And there's a BIG difference between CJ and Filip.

Filip:

* Has graduated from UND

* Was honest about this intentions where his UND coaches tweeted out their BEST WISHES to him as he moved on to his new school

* Was not shopping around for a new team in February

* Followed the rules and did not start talking to new schools until AFTER he entered the transfer portal

Proof that CJ was talking to any school before he entered the portal?

Also, who cares if he hasn't graduated. Why does that matter?

That says nothing about CJ talking to schools before he entered the portal which is what you are accusing him of. Where is the proof?

I already answered your question by stating that you are clearly not very bright or simply have your head buried in the sand.

I feel bad for people in the Lounge who pay money to deal with and respond to you nonsense.

I already answered your question by stating that you are clearly not very bright or simply have your head buried in the sand.

I feel bad for people in the Lounge who pay money to deal with and respond to you nonsense.

Asking you for proof of an accusation you are making is nonsense?

Just provide the link, it shouldn't be that hard.

If anyone wants a smoking gun that this was going on, I doubt there is one. But it is blatantly obvious to everyone (well, almost everyone) that CJF to Kentucky wasn't something where he up and decided on a whim that he was going to leave after the season ended, and Calipari just happened to be along to scoop him up.

Don't be naive.

If anyone wants a smoking gun that this was going on, I doubt there is one. But it is blatantly obvious to everyone (well, almost everyone) that CJF to Kentucky wasn't something where he up and decided on a whim that he was going to leave after the season ended, and Calipari just happened to be along to scoop him up.

Don't be naive.

And UI Compliance sent this tweet out for the obvious reasons.

Don't be naive.

There was probably communication with someone close to CJ before he hit the portal, that seems obvious. However, that doesn't mean he talked with teams before entering the portal which was the accusation.

LOL

Uncle Joe is in everyone's ear......CJ's, Fran's...........now Fran doesn't have to deal with his complaints any more

After Kentucky lost its last game of the season, some guy on Facebook posted:

"Sarr takes a 3 up 1 with 30 seconds left? That’s a really smart move from one of our only Seniors. Then a 3 to win when down 1? Good riddance 20-21 Ky basketball."

He's referring to Oliver Sarr, a 7-foot center. The poster's point here was that in neither case did they need a 3-pointer. I think that's pretty clear. They certainly didn't need their 7-foot center taking one.

You'd have to be a real bonehead to think the answer to this problem is CJ Fredrick. No, the answer would be a really strong big man who could take it up strong and, even with a lot of contact and no foul called, make a bucket.

Somebody like, oh, I don't know, West Virginia's 6'9", 260 lb. Oscar Tshiebwe? Whose FG% at West Virginia was 54.5%, and who never shot a single 3 pointer.

At West Virginia, Tsiebwe played with a guy named Miles McBride, who happened to be their leading scorer. Miles graduated from Archbishop Moeller High in Cincinnati.

Guess who played them Miles's senior year? Covington Catholic.

The guy who posted the complaint on Facebook? That was Hunter Kuykendall, who years before was Joe's neighbor a few doors down and Joe's older son's best friend. Hunter also went to Covington Catholic, by the way.

If this was ever posted on some "Kentucky board", as it's usually presented, it wasn't by Joe. Maybe the screenshot that leaves out the original subject of the discussion, which completely changes the context, was posted by somebody wanting to suggest CJ was coming.

But "help is coming" had nothing to do with CJ, even though that's how Hunter interpreted it. And I'm sure you still believe it did.

And you've got Joe Fredrick's relationship with Fran all wrong. Joe was little more than a go-between between Fran and CJ's dad. Those calls Joe made to Fran? They were to tell Fran to call Chuck. You want to know why?

Because Chuck was very concerned about Fran's lack of any incoming big men after Nunge got hurt. With Garza gone and no guarantee that Nunge would fully recover from his knee injury, Chuck was concerned that with no real inside presence, CJ would have a really tough season next year. Heck, what if Nunge blew out a knee again? So yeah, Joe made several calls to Fran asking him to call Chuck. He never did.

And CJ didn't want to leave Iowa. He loved his team and his teammates. He didn't sit around waiting to announce his transfer, he sat around waiting for Fran to get some bigs. How many posts were there on these boards asking "when is Fran going to get some bigs from the transfer portal?"

After Nunge entered the portal, it made it that much tougher to stick around knowing there were no bigs coming in. Keegan Murray is a great player and a great athlete, but even his dad doesn't really want him to play the 4. What other bigs did Iowa have? Josh? Patrick?

Maybe if Iowa was in a different conference. One where the refs don't let you grab and hold guys trying to get open running off screens. But in the B1G CJ would have really struggled next year without a solid inside presence to keep the defense honest.

So yeah, CJ waited and waited and waited for Fran to get some bigs, and stuck around with the best of intentions, hoping Fran would get somebody from the portal, but it didn't happen and CJ was running out of time to find a better situation. Kentucky was never a given. There was no tampering. I think the tampering rumors started after people began discussing CJ going to Kentucky after this article:

But that's ok, keep on bashing CJ and his family. Call them names, insult them. Call them pieces of shit, scumbags. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong - it will make you feel better.

Does this bickering really matter? C.J.'s gone to another school. 10 pages and still going. He's gone, not a Hawkeye anymore. Does it really matter if C.J. stiffed Iowa? Nothing is going to change what is already done. Neither Franisdaman or Legend12 or anyone else posting in this tread is ever going to bring back C.J. He's gone, let it go!
You don't see coach Fran or any of his staff going to the media and still complaining about how this all went down do you? No, you don't, but all the butt hurt Iowa fans are still bitching about it because an off injured Iowa starter that averaged just over 7 points a game left to go to another school near his home town. Big fing deal!
I'll guarantee you that someone on the current roster will gladly take the departed players minutes and probably cover his lost stats too.
Did I mention that C.J. is gone? Yep, he's gone, gone, gone. Let's go another 10 or 20 pages to really show how we feel about how he left Iowa instead of talking about the players that are still on the roster and will be providing us Iowa fans will new threads to talk about. I'm excited about the upcoming season with a roster of players that want to be here and not about players that no longer are Hawkeyes.....
The problem is the idiot Iowa fans want to wish the buck tooth bastard well. Most don't care if CJ transfers or not. The problem is CJ quit on his team. He quit and Fran was too stubborn to adjust his rotation when it was obvious CJ and Connor shouldn't be out there. Quitting on your team is one of the worst things a player could do. Pathetic of any player that wished that quitting foot princess good luck. He quit on your team during the season and you want to wish him luck. They should grow a pair and straighten CJ's teeth.

The problem is the idiot Iowa fans want to wish the buck tooth bastard well. Most don't care if CJ transfers or not. The problem is CJ quit on his team. He quit and Fran was too stubborn to adjust his rotation when it was obvious CJ and Connor shouldn't be out there. Quitting on your team is one of the worst things a player could do. Pathetic of any player that wished that quitting foot princess good luck. He quit on your team during the season and you want to wish him luck. They should grow a pair and straighten CJ's teeth.

Great analysis. Expect a call from ESPN any day now.

"Sarr takes a 3 up 1 with 30 seconds left? That’s a really smart move from one of our only Seniors. Then a 3 to win when down 1? Good riddance 20-21 Ky basketball."

He's referring to Oliver Sarr, a 7-foot center. The poster's point here was that in neither case did they need a 3-pointer. I think that's pretty clear. They certainly didn't need their 7-foot center taking one.

You'd have to be a real bonehead to think the answer to this problem is CJ Fredrick. No, the answer would be a really strong big man who could take it up strong and, even with a lot of contact and no foul called, make a bucket.

Somebody like, oh, I don't know, West Virginia's 6'9", 260 lb. Oscar Tshiebwe? Whose FG% at West Virginia was 54.5%, and who never shot a single 3 pointer.

At West Virginia, Tsiebwe played with a guy named Miles McBride, who happened to be their leading scorer. Miles graduated from Archbishop Moeller High in Cincinnati.

The guy who posted the complaint on Facebook? That was Hunter Kuykendall, who years before was Joe's neighbor a few doors down and Joe's older son's best friend. Hunter also went to Covington Catholic, by the way.

If this was ever posted on some "Kentucky board", as it's usually presented, it wasn't by Joe. Maybe the screenshot that leaves out the original subject of the discussion, which completely changes the context, was posted by somebody wanting to suggest CJ was coming.

But "help is coming" had nothing to do with CJ, even though that's how Hunter interpreted it. And I'm sure you still believe it did.

And you've got Joe Fredrick's relationship with Fran all wrong. Joe was little more than a go-between between Fran and CJ's dad. Those calls Joe made to Fran? They were to tell Fran to call Chuck. You want to know why?

Because Chuck was very concerned about Fran's lack of any incoming big men after Nunge got hurt. With Garza gone and no guarantee that Nunge would fully recover from his knee injury, Chuck was concerned that with no real inside presence, CJ would have a really tough season next year. Heck, what if Nunge blew out a knee again? So yeah, Joe made several calls to Fran asking him to call Chuck. He never did.

And CJ didn't want to leave Iowa. He loved his team and his teammates. He didn't sit around waiting to announce his transfer, he sat around waiting for Fran to get some bigs. How many posts were there on these boards asking "when is Fran going to get some bigs from the transfer portal?"

After Nunge entered the portal, it made it that much tougher to stick around knowing there were no bigs coming in. Keegan Murray is a great player and a great athlete, but even his dad doesn't really want him to play the 4. What other bigs did Iowa have? Josh? Patrick?

Maybe if Iowa was in a different conference. One where the refs don't let you grab and hold guys trying to get open running off screens. But in the B1G CJ would have really struggled next year without a solid inside presence to keep the defense honest.

So yeah, CJ waited and waited and waited for Fran to get some bigs, and stuck around with the best of intentions, hoping Fran would get somebody from the portal, but it didn't happen and CJ was running out of time to find a better situation. Kentucky was never a given. There was no tampering. I think the tampering rumors started after people began discussing CJ going to Kentucky after this article:

But that's ok, keep on bashing CJ and his family. Call them names, insult them. Call them pieces of shit, scumbags. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong - it will make you feel better.

Ok whatever you say Coach Cal or is it Uncle Joe?

Last edited:
Everyone is looking at this from a perspective of what CJ should have done.
Like, “He lied.” Last winter obviously he was exploring transferring. I guess you all think a player should tell his coach, “I might stay, but I’m also thinking about transferring.“ That just isn’t gonna happen. It’s a situation where the player’s interest and the coach/institution’s interest are opposed. And CJ did what was best for him as he saw it, which was to explore transferring but also to keep his place at Iowa in case he didn’t like what he heard in pre-transfer talks.

The more important question, which I don’t see getting much attention is: Why did he choose to transfer? Wasn’t CJ the shining example of the idea that someone out there loved Fran as a coach?
What are "pre-transfer talks"?

One other item of note that has not really been stated...this was not a case of CJ going to Kentucky so he left Iowa. This was a case of CJ leaving Iowa so he went to Kentucky.

I don't buy this. There's too much that says otherwise. Also, players enter the portal all the time w/o knowing where they're going. The most likely reason, by far, for CJ to lie to the staff 48 hours before entering the portal was because he was waiting to ensure he had a landing spot. Is it possible he was so unsure on Friday that he denied it, but then decided over the next 48 hours? I might buy that if there wasn't so much other smoke. In this case, the pieces, when put together, paint a pretty clear picture. IMO, he entered the portal so he could go to Kentucky. It was a done deal before he notified the Iowa staff.

Tell me genius, what do you know about Uncle Joe? What kind of player was he when Fran coached him at Notre Dame?

I could care less what type of player he was 30 years ago at ND. Fact is he's just as bad as one of those overly involved high school parents but even worse because he's the kid's freaking uncle who is in college now.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I could care less what type of player he was 30 years ago at ND. Fact is he's just as bad as one of those overly involved high school parents but even worse because he's the kid's freaking uncle who is in college now.

You must really hate how involved Frank Garza was in promoting Luka.

Reactions: Fox2monk

You could care less because you're clueless. You're like a flat-earther. Completely out of touch with reality, but positive you know everything, even though you know nothing.

You must really hate how involved Frank Garza was in promoting Luka.

Was Frank Garza ever interfering with Iowa coaches during the season? Complaining about anything online or in public. Fine line between over bearing negative ones conspiring behind the scenes vs the majority of them that are supportive of their kids and the team not causing any friction.

Last edited:
You could care less because you're clueless. You're like a flat-earther. Completely out of touch with reality, but positive you know everything, even though you know nothing.

Because I'm not a fan of Joe Fredrick or think CJ wasn't a man and handled his transfer right? Ok whatever you say boss nice deflection. I didn't say I know anything all I said is you're full of BS and I could care less about Joe Fredrick's past as player in college, as if that matters one iota. But I'm not the Kentucky fan on an Iowa site desperately trying make it sound like CJ and Joe are innocent victims in him transferring.

So CJ left because Fran wouldn't call his Dad back about what big guys he was getting in the portal? Even though Fran tried to get Atkinson who went to ND or Robbins who went to Vandy. If that was the case why didn't he pull his name out of the portal once they got Rebraca from UND? If he loved Iowa so much you'd think not having one proven big would be a reason to leave let alone a reason to be as impactful on team? If so that's a pretty sad and pathetic excuse.

"Because Chuck was very concerned about Fran's lack of any incoming big men after Nunge got hurt. With Garza gone and no guarantee that Nunge would fully recover from his knee injury, Chuck was concerned that with no real inside presence, CJ would have a really tough season next year. Heck, what if Nunge blew out a knee again? So yeah, Joe made several calls to Fran asking him to call Chuck. He never did.

So CJ left because Fran wouldn't call his Dad back about what big guys he was getting in the portal? Even though Fran tried to get Atkinson who went to ND or Robbins who went to Vandy. If that was the case why didn't he pull his name out of the portal once they got Rebraca from UND? If he loved Iowa so much you'd think not having one proven big would be a reason to leave let alone a reason to be as impactful on team? If so that's a pretty sad and pathetic excuse.

"Because Chuck was very concerned about Fran's lack of any incoming big men after Nunge got hurt. With Garza gone and no guarantee that Nunge would fully recover from his knee injury, Chuck was concerned that with no real inside presence, CJ would have a really tough season next year. Heck, what if Nunge blew out a knee again? So yeah, Joe made several calls to Fran asking him to call Chuck. He never did.

Rebraca? Oh yeah, he's gonna dominate in the B1G. Rebraca's conference was so weak, instead of playing home and away games against each opponent, they played 2 back-to-back away games against the same school, and then 2 back-to-back home games against the same school, etc. I guess those buses were just too expensive!

Maybe Connor can play the 5.

Rebraca? Oh yeah, he's gonna dominate in the B1G. Rebraca's conference was so weak, instead of playing home and away games against each opponent, they played 2 back-to-back away games against the same school, and then 2 back-to-back home games against the same school, etc. I guess those buses were just too expensive!

Well the got a transfer big reason why you said he left. So he left because he wasn't up to level of satisfaction? Granted not Fran or Iowa's first choice but he's should be a contributor not a star. So if Iowa would have gotten Robbins he would have stayed? But pretty pathetic a 2 year starter in Big 10 leaves because he doesn't have a dominate post player. You'd think he'd want to embrace the fact of him being the guy with their departures no matter who they have in the post or not especially when you claim him loving Iowa and his teammates....

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Do they do that scheduling every year? Or only during a global pandemic?

Do they do that scheduling every year? Or only during a global pandemic?

It was pandemic related and most of the FCS schools did it,.. Has nothing to do with the strength or quality of the conference,.. the guy, (kelzer), is an ass hat...

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
It was pandemic related and most of the FCS schools did it,.. Has nothing to do with the strength or quality of the conference,.. the guy, (kelzer), is an ass hat...

It was a rhetorical question..

Kelzer is obviously a friend or family member of CJ’s so his emotional engagement on this topic is understandable.

Reactions: Rifler
I don't buy this. There's too much that says otherwise. Also, players enter the portal all the time w/o knowing where they're going. The most likely reason, by far, for CJ to lie to the staff 48 hours before entering the portal was because he was waiting to ensure he had a landing spot. Is it possible he was so unsure on Friday that he denied it, but then decided over the next 48 hours? I might buy that if there wasn't so much other smoke. In this case, the pieces, when put together, paint a pretty clear picture. IMO, he entered the portal so he could go to Kentucky. It was a done deal before he notified the Iowa staff.

nailed it.

• Haha
Reactions: TrianglePlace
Disappointing you wont be rooting for Rebraca this season too if that is how you really feel.
I'm going to assume you didn't see the glowing farewell that Rebaca's coach posted about his departure. When you compare it to McCaffery's post about CJ, it was more like a proposal for canonization for sainthood.

I'm going to assume you didn't see the glowing farewell that Rebaca's coach posted about his departure. When you compare it to McCaffery's post about CJ, it was more like a proposal for canonization for sainthood.

Agreed that Fran was extremely thin skinned about CJ's departure.

Reactions: weeterkane

There's the ole arrogance Wildcat fans are famous for. Obviously you are so special that the state of Kentucky was spared the virus.

• Haha
Reactions: kconnell10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT