ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Signs w/ Kentucky. Iowa Claiming Tampering? Level II Violation when 3rd Party Contacts a School When Athlete Discussed Enrolled at Another School

I didn't catch that he unfollowed him. Damn.
Guess I didn’t look to make sure, because im not on that hell hole that is twitter, but someone else posted it in another thread so taking their word for it I guess. Either way the optics look bad for cj

Reactions: GRT2B1 and Moral
Yeah, I agree. There definitely seems to be some animosity there. Without knowing the full story, I'm not willing to put all of it on CJ.
Don’t go from being family friends, signing without a scholarship, to where they are today, without some animosity. We don’t know what has gone down, but cj waiting a month to announce he’s transferring doesn’t show great character regardless of what transpired

Don’t go from being family friends, signing without a scholarship, to where they are today, without some animosity. We don’t know what has gone down, but cj waiting a month to announce he’s transferring doesn’t show great character regardless of what transpired

After the statement CJ just released, I'm not so certain he was for sure planning to transfer, especially with PMac's tweet about what's done in darkness being eventually brought to light.

I'm wondering if CJ wasn't on the fence and shopping around for other schools. Perhaps Fran found out about it and made the decision for CJ.

After the statement CJ just released, I'm not so certain he was for sure planning to transfer, especially with PMac's tweet about what's done in darkness being eventually brought to light.

I'm wondering if CJ wasn't on the fence and shopping around for other schools. Perhaps Fran found out about it and made the decision for CJ.
I literally just posted that in one of the other threads lol I think the way cj’s announcement was worded says this is probably the case. Fran is extremely loyal, guessing he expects that from his players. Or at least honesty. And especially from someone like cj who he has family ties to. Pretty shitty situation

I literally just posted that in one of the other threads lol I think the way cj’s announcement was worded says this is probably the case. Fran is extremely loyal, guessing he expects that from his players. Or at least honesty. And especially from someone like cj who he has family ties to. Pretty shitty situation

I completely understand why Fran would be upset.

Mere speculation, but I really wonder how many players were put off by CMac starting at the 4. In the end, it's about winning.

Just thinking out loud:

With the deadline to announce transfer not being until 7/1 this year (will usually be 5/1 for CBB), is it considered OK for players to take time up until that deadline to make a decision? Are we mad at CJ for taking time he is explicitly given by the NCAA to make that decision?

Obviously, if tampering can be proven that changes the equation here, I am treating that as an unknown for now

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Bingo. The kid is leaving a dead on the vine program for his home state blue blood. We would have all made the same choice.
Probably sooner than he did. That’s the issue here. Sounds like he shopped around, but was telling Fran he was staying and ready to get back to work. It’s a bridge burned that will never be rebuilt.

That's the thing that people should have issue with, if true. It's not meathead sports fans being mad about a player transferring to another school. If CJ wanted to transfer all along, that should have been vocalized to Fran earlier than it seems it was. Most of us here assume Fran is not a magic man when it comes to the transfer portal. How much further behind is Iowa now? Fran is weeks behind developing relationships to find a portal guy to replace CJ's production. Not great!

Players are mature enough to decide their future and many are upset when they're denied opportunities, justifiably so, but then it can't be ignored when they act unprofessional (I know they're not 'professional'/paid, not the point). But the same goes with coaches... when a coach brings in a class of recruits and jumps to a high major program right after, he should receive some criticism too. I'm just annoyed that Iowa is now even less prepared to field a competitive roster.

Bingo! 5 days ago, on April 14, Fran was still talking about CJ as if everything was fine (he won't need surgery; he will be cleared to practice very soon).

And it appears CJ to Kentucky was a done deal in February. So, CJ could have at least told Fran he wanted to transfer right after the season ended.

Instead, now Fran has to scramble to find a shooting guard to replace CJ.

Not a good look for CJ. At all. And that's why you see his teammates upset with him.

I would bet the info exchanged was through a former AAU or Highschool Coach not a family member.

Well, guess what? When Kentucky begins having discussions in February with the Fredrick camp about CJ, who is enrolled at another school, it is still tampering and it's still a Level II NCAA violation.

Those discussions are not supposed to happen in February; they are only supposed to happen when the athlete officially has entered the transfer portal.

Oh if you want to tell me there was tampering going on, I would 100% guarantee there has been.

Proving it is something totally different. Again, there are more than breadcrumbs there. It's pretty dang obvious this has been going on for a long time. My point is simply that it wasn't the dad or uncle working it out behind the scenes, it would have been the AAU coach or something like that.

good point. but Kentucky is not supposed to be in discussions with the Fredrick camp in February about CJ, who is enrolled at another school. That is a Level II violation. Kentucky should know better.

Those discussions between the Fredrick camp and Kentucky can happen only when CJ's name appears in the transfer portal.

Reactions: WadeWilson
From a pretty good source I heard Calipari called Fredrick and talked to him just days after the Oregon game (Shocking I know).

Reactions: Mohawkeye

I am guessing the Fredricks and McCaffery's won't be exchanging Xmas cards this year

It's a pretty Im - @Moral situation, if you ask me

Reactions: hawkosx and Slim45
good point. but Kentucky is not supposed to be in discussions with the Fredrick camp in February about CJ, who is enrolled at another school. That is a Level II violation. Kentucky should know better.

Those discussions between the Fredrick camp and Kentucky can happen only when CJ's name appears in the transfer portal.

Of course... but it happens all the time. You can get bent out of shape about it but it honestly doesn't matter. Huggins went OFF about a player of his transferring to UK earlier this year. You think there wasn't tampering there? Of course there was.

I completely understand why Fran would be upset.

Mere speculation, but I really wonder how many players were put off by CMac starting at the 4. In the end, it's about winning.

Yeah, Fran wants you to be honest with him, if nothing else, because Fran will always be honest with his players.

Man, CJ has messed things up.

And heck, in all sports, people look at who's playing and question the coach's decisions. On my softball team, there is a guy who can hit the shit out of the ball, but all the runs he helps to score is negated by all the errors he makes in the field. We discuss that this player should be a DH or the catcher, and nothing else!!! Damn idiot coach!!!! LOL ;)

100% correct. When you have your kids on the team, problems can ensue. Unless they are just head and shoulders better than everyone else. This is true in youth sports, and is dialed up 100x at the college level. Players have options now. And if their perception (whether or not it is real) is that they won't get a fair shake at playing time, then they are are going to look around.
Certainly when you have sons on the team, there will be crying of nepotism if things don't go well. Unfortunately, I think losing Nunge and CJ himself's injury had more to do with not meeting those expectations, but water under the bridge at this point. Here's the really bad scenario, I can almost bet will happen in about three or four years. Young Jack will be a 4 star high recruited stretch 4, playing at 6'9" and very skilled. Mom is going to win this one and think its time for a change of scenery for her offspring. Jack ends up at Notre Dame, and he ends up a consensus AA. This board rakes Fran over the coals for not being able to keep Jack in the fold and playing for Iowa. Wouldn't surprise me at all.......

• Wow
Reactions: Slim45
Just thinking out loud:

With the deadline to announce transfer not being until 7/1 this year (will usually be 5/1 for CBB), is it considered OK for players to take time up until that deadline to make a decision? Are we mad at CJ for taking time he is explicitly given by the NCAA to make that decision?

Obviously, if tampering can be proven that changes the equation here, I am treating that as an unknown for now

Look at my orig post. Those tweets are all from Kentucky sports media people.

The Kentucky media knew the Fredrick camp and Kentucky were talking in February; that's a Level II NCAA violation. So, it's pretty clear the tampering has been going on for over 2 months, which I am sure Fran is now fully aware and fully pissed off about.

Reactions: hawkosx and Slim45
Just thinking out loud:

They'll never be able to PROVE tampering, or at least we know they won't do anything about it, as they basically never do. But there's no question with the amount of smoke about this move going back before the NCAA tourney that there was contact by some parties back and forth.

Probably sooner than he did. That’s the issue here. Sounds like he shopped around, but was telling Fran he was staying and ready to get back to work. It’s a bridge burned that will never be rebuilt.

Correct. On Wed, Apr 14, Fran had a press conference. He said that CJ was chompin' at the bit to get back in the gym.

Of course... but it happens all the time. You can get bent out of shape about it but it honestly doesn't matter. Huggins went OFF about a player of his transferring to UK earlier this year. You think there wasn't tampering there? Of course there was.

The FBI / Adidas investigation made it very clear that there are all kinds of shit going on where the head coach and school are untouchable if they get caught.

Sure, there may be NCAA rules, but nobody is following them because the NCAA is not enforcing them.

If he wanted to leave IA so bad, why did he wait a month to decide to transfer? There’s 2 possible explanations i can think of 1)tampering, in that he was waiting to know he for sure had a spot on another team before entering portal (this one seems pretty obvious)
2) he was trying to f over fran by waiting to announce so fran couldn’t go to the portal and replace him. My guess, both things occurred.
If kentucky is where he lands he’ll fit in well with what kind of character he showed on his exit. Patricks tweet and unfollowing of cj tells me all i need to know.
CJ probably wasn't happy with his role this year, moving down to the 4th scoring option with JBo's return, so maybe he met with Fran to verify that he'd have a major scoring role or else he wanted to transfer. And in typical Fran fashion, a temper tantrum ensued and the rest is history.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
No other major school wanted him. Rumors apparently did exist linking him to Kentucky. Family history tossed out the door. McCs never previously showed such obvious personal anger over a transfer nor has the University been so unfriendly about a transfer.

Obviously something unique. Knowing something about leopards and spots I'd say there was tampering and CJ lied about it, in addition to the ingratitude. When someone/something deviates from its pattern you can be assured something is driving the deviation. Is it dishonesty or ingratitude or both?

They'll never be able to PROVE tampering, or at least we know they won't do anything about it, as they basically never do. But there's no question with the amount of smoke about this move going back before the NCAA tourney that there was contact by some parties back and forth.
In most cases of transferring the player has an idea where they want to go. Third parties be it high school coach's, neighbors or whoever check for interest from school. It happened for Utoff and likely for CJ and the ISU Fuerbach to Iowa

No other major school wanted him. Rumors apparently did exist linking him to Kentucky. Family history tossed out the door. McCs never previously showed such obvious personal anger over a transfer not has the University been so unfriendly about a transfer.

Obviously something unique. Knowing something about leopards and spots I'd say their was tampering and CJ lied about it, in addition to the ingratitude. When someone/something deviates from its pattern you can be assured something is driving the deviation. Is it dishonesty or ingratitude or both?
He got offers from Penn State, Indiana, and Xavier. He committed to Iowa in August before his senior year, so was off the market. I'm sure that after winning the Kentucky state championship and named MVP (in Rupp Arena, probably right in front of Coach Cal) he would have gotten plenty of offers if he were still available.

EVERY school Cal has coached at has had something come out either after he left or it chased him out the door, resulting in NCAA punishment for the school. He has boosters do his dirty work. KY has the boosters for it. I thought that CJ was above this. Maybe I was wrong?

Reactions: WadeWilson
CJ probably wasn't happy with his role this year, moving down to the 4th scoring option with JBo's return, so maybe he met with Fran to verify that he'd have a major scoring role or else he wanted to transfer. And in typical Fran fashion, a temper tantrum ensued and the rest is history.

Totally went down this way.....JFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT