ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Signs w/ Kentucky. Iowa Claiming Tampering? Level II Violation when 3rd Party Contacts a School When Athlete Discussed Enrolled at Another School

Why do you assume it was only the bench players who had issue with Connor starting? Players want to win.
So who was unhappy Connor was plugging minutes? It wasn't Kenyon, so that take out his boys. Nunge was done, unless he felt he could play with crutches. Garza, Joe, and Jabo were getting all his assists, and we know damn well it wasn't them. Pat mad at his own brother? Joe wasn't getting minutes because of Jabo. Perkins because of CJ. Both are staying, so who? Basically it leaves Austin Ash. Are you implying our starters were upset with a 2 seed and a top ranking all year because of Connor's minutes? We got blown out in the second round in a game in which Connor played 13 minutes, it wasn't his minutes that cost us that game. Have you ever stopped to think, maybe it just doesn't make sense to blame Connor? I know it's hard for many on this board, but maybe CJ was just done with Iowa.

Reactions: 3boysmom
For those who don't know, Uncle Joe put out a facebook post yesterday. His post is tantamount to saying "with all due respect" before insulting someone. He said he wouldn't "stoop" to Iowa's level then called the school, the fans, and coach Mccaffery childish. Conveniently also forgets to mention that he posted on Kentucky message boards months ago that "help is on the way."

Iowa hasn't been super classy about this whole thing, but Uncle Joe seems to be a piece of work himself.

Obviously, if CJ were completely happy at Iowa, he would not be leaving. I don't think playing time was the issue. Iowa had very high expectations coming into last season. Needless to say, those expectations weren't met. The aforementioned poster stated in vague terms there was some discontent about a certain player's playing time. You can interpret that however you want. Human nature being what it is, it shouldn't be surprising if players and others close to the Iowa team didn't have similar views as the ones many of us have expressed on here.

Connor McCaffery is not a 4. He's just not. On top of that, he provides nothing offensively (outside the stellar post feeds of course) and is very limited athletically (especially on defense). If Iowa had no better options on the bench, then I'd get it. The problem is Iowa did have a better option on the bench. A much, much better option. A kid who could not only score, but who was also your most versatile defender. You don't think the players and family members took notice?
I get why people are upset about Connor's minutes. He played too much for a guy who couldn't score. But we did not get blown out by Oregon because of Connor Mccaffery's minutes. We lose that game whether he gets 30 minutes or 5 minutes. We weren't exactly shutting Oregon down in the second half when Connor sat out.

The fact of the matter is, our defense was putrid. Connor was to blame for that, but also CJ. I don't know if you are implying that CJ was the "versatile defender" or Keegan, but I did not think CJ was any sort of lock down defender while he was on the floor ESPECIALLY after he started dealing with the injury bug.

You want to say Fran recruited poorly and is totally inept at scheming defense? That's fair. You want to criticize Connor's minutes? That's also fair, but to an extent. It seems incredibly short cited to boil the season's flaws down to Connor's minutes.

If Uncle Joe really made CJ transfer solely because of Connor's minutes, then he is either a moron or using it as a scapegoat to justify his nephew dumping his commitment at Iowa to go to greener pastures. I really truly think its the latter.

Reactions: Franisdaman
For those who don't know, Uncle Joe put out a facebook post yesterday. His post is tantamount to saying "with all due respect" before insulting someone. He said he wouldn't "stoop" to Iowa's level then called the school, the fans, and coach Mccaffery childish. Conveniently also forgets to mention that he posted on Kentucky message boards months ago that "help is on the way."

Iowa hasn't been super classy about this whole thing, but Uncle Joe seems to be a piece of work himself.

Bye Joe. GTFO

Yep and it is really fuggin sad that Fran recruited that bitch ass to Notre Dame and then recruited his bitch Nephew to Iowa. Phuck the Frederick’s. They are a bunch of scum bags.

I get why people are upset about Connor's minutes. He played too much for a guy who couldn't score. But we did not get blown out by Oregon because of Connor Mccaffery's minutes. We lose that game whether he gets 30 minutes or 5 minutes. We weren't exactly shutting Oregon down in the second half when Connor sat out.

The fact of the matter is, our defense was putrid. Connor was to blame for that, but also CJ. I don't know if you are implying that CJ was the "versatile defender" or Keegan, but I did not think CJ was any sort of lock down defender while he was on the floor ESPECIALLY after he started dealing with the injury bug.

You want to say Fran recruited poorly and is totally inept at scheming defense? That's fair. You want to criticize Connor's minutes? That's also fair, but to an extent. It seems incredibly short cited to boil the season's flaws down to Connor's minutes.

If Uncle Joe really made CJ transfer solely because of Connor's minutes, then he is either a moron or using it as a scapegoat to justify his nephew dumping his commitment at Iowa to go to greener pastures. I really truly think its the latter.

As I've pointed out many times, it's all speculation. I agree 100% Iowa's failures aren't all on Connor. Iowa would have gotten blown out against Oregon regardless of his minutes. You're right.

IMO, the young kids should have been playing more throughout the year. It's amazing Perkins and Ulis looked as good as they did at the end of the season given the limited minutes they saw most of the year. I think Joe T would have been better had Fran instilled more confidence in him and not had him on such a short leash (Joe T also could have benefited from popping a Xanax a half an hour before tip).

Regardless, IMO Fran mismanaged the lineup all season. He relied too much on veteran guys who are known for shooting and not much else. The younger guys, like Ulis and Perkins, should have been part of the regular rotation so they could not only develop but provide the athleticism Iowa was sorely lacking (especially defensively). It's pretty unfair and unrealistic to expect guys who have been riding the pine all year to come in at the end of the season and make significant contributions.

Yes, it is and probably always will be a mystery why Connor started at the 4 the entire season. I don't get it and the defenses that have been offered for it aren't exactly cogent. As a result, Iowa played four on five on offense for about 25 minutes a game. It's amazing the offense did as well as it did (major kudos to Luka and Weezy).

Oh, and I was talking about Keegan. IMO, he was Iowa's most versatile defender.

It's funny that posters on here think the NBA is not popular just because nobody in Iowa cares.
However, haven’t the overall NBA ratings gone down? From being a former MN resident, I saw firsthand how much interest had waned for the T-Wolves.

However, haven’t the overall NBA ratings gone down? From being a former MN resident, I saw firsthand how much interest had waned for the T-Wolves.
Ratings for sports are down across the board. And when Glen Taylor puts a terrible product on the floor year in & year out, interest will go down. David Kahn certainly left his mark.

I find it interesting that Joe does not mention Fran once in his post. CJ came to Iowa because of Fran. His criticism is about Iowa though. I do not think Iowa is releasing statements without Fran’s knowledge.

Correct. Like it or not this is all about perception. It's fairly obvious that people aren't happy with how playing time was getting doled out.

Yep, perception is everything. This is not a good look for Fran and the program. Recruiting is hard enough as it is.

For the record, why is everyone assuming it's the Fredericks who are ultimately at fault here?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yep, perception is everything. This is not a good look for Fran and the program. Recruiting is hard enough as it is.

For the record, why is everyone assuming it's the Fredericks who are ultimately at fault here?
It wasn’t handled well, as has been reported CJF blindsided Fran with his announcement

• Haha
Reactions: weeterkane
It wasn’t handled well, as has been reported CJF blindsided Fran with his announcement

There have been conflicting reports. I've read CJ wasn't planning on transferring and it was Fran who cut ties. I would like to wait for the full story, if we ever get it, before branding the Fredericks as pieces of shit.

Reactions: weeterkane
There have been conflicting reports. I've read CJ wasn't planning on transferring and it was Fran who cut ties. I would like to wait for the full story, if we ever get it, before branding the Fredericks as pieces of shit.
We probably will never get the full story. But as has been noted, there was a hell of a lot of smoke before we knew about the fire. I think the tweet earlier this year from CJ's uncle says it all. He's just in full CYA mode right now.

I believe a lot of it has to do with timing. Fran has his faults, but he is usually painfully honest in what he says. Last week, he said CJ was looking forward to getting out in the court. While Fran did not specify it would be at Iowa, that was the assumption. I do not think Fran would have said that if he knew CJ was going to be entering the portal.

Also, the rumor about CJ heading to Kentucky has been out there for over a month, so I would have expected there to have been multiple conversations between Fran and CJ during this time period. It does not appear that Fran has been looking for a replacement for CJ in the portal, which would indicate he expected CJ to return.

It could just be that Fran has been stubborn and ignored the messages from CJ. I could believe the first, but not the latter. Ultimately, I hate how this has gone down and would like to get the true scoop. We will see if that happens.

Bingo. The kid is leaving a dead on the vine program for his home state blue blood. We would have all made the same choice.
So abandoning the coach and teammates that you've worked so hard with for three years just because a shiny new program wiggles their finger at you is an honorable thing now? Glad I've never been in a foxhole with you.

So abandoning the coach and teammates that you've worked so hard with for three years just because a shiny new program wiggles their finger at you is an honorable thing now? Glad I've never been in a foxhole with you.
Honorable, no, understandable, yes. This guy is making the best choice for him and his future playing athletics. Take your histrionics about war some other place, the guy saw the writing on the wall and has worked his ass off for the small chance to put something on film.

So . . . it appears that "Uncle Joe" admits to being in contact with Iowa's staff about "concerns" that he had about the team. And his communications to Iowa's staff were "clear."

Reminds me of an answer Kirk Ferentz once gave to this question: Q: "What's the worst thing about quarterback controversies?" A: "Parents."

Don't get me wrong. I think that CJ Fredrick is a really good basketball player. When he became unavailable again this year because of plantar fasciitis (or whatever was ailing him), I thought that his absence was devastating to the team's chances of success. Very good defender, great shooter, heady ballplayer, etc. Iowa was far more equipped to "absorb" losing Nunge than it was equipped to lose what Fredrick brought to the table.

I was incredibly hopeful after Fredrick came back from the injury and we saw some glimpses but anyone who knows anything about the game knows full well that Fredrick was gun-shy as the season came to a close. He passed up open shots. He was far more reluctant to drive to the basket. My last memory of Fredrick is him driving into the lane against Oregon, having a short 5-6 foot shot available to him and, instead, he passed to CMac who was standing outside the 3 point line near the baseline. Total head scratcher. CJ's injury either sapped any confidence that he may have had or prevented him from being able to adequately shoot the ball.

Earlier in the season, Fran commented to the press that he'd like for CJ to be more aggressive shooting the ball and driving to the hoop.

Sounds to me like "Uncle Joe" took it upon himself to contact Iowa's staff and complain about who was getting playing time and how much playing time was being doled out. There is zero question in my mind that "Uncle Joe's" beliefs would have been shared with CJ as well. And if you don't believe that a comment something to the effect of "If you don't like how playing time is being doled out, there is always the transfer portal. I bet Coach Cal would give you a long hard look" by "Uncle Joe" to CJ took place, I've got some swamp land in Florida that I'm willing to sell you.

Being a hard and true Iowa fan who absolutely loved that Iowa basketball was exciting again, it sucks that the season ended in such a fashion. It is difficult to absorb losing what might be a once-in-a-lifetime player like Garza. But, when you include Joe Wieskamp likely entering the NBA draft early and losing Jack Nunge after his tragic year, having one of the best (if not the best) returning player enter the portal is particularly tough to swallow.

That written, reading between the lines, I'm far from certain that having CJ on next year's team would have been a positive. If his uncle is trying to influence playing time by calling Iowa's staff, that's the kind of shit that not only rubs coaches the wrong way but other players. "Uncle Joe" may not like it that CJ didn't get the fond farewell sent Nunge's way and felt it necessary to take some "pot shots" at the Iowa Compliance Department and PMac but . . . glaringly absent from "Uncle Joe" is any criticism of CJ's other teammates who, based upon Leistikow's article, have not shared any well wished on social media. Completely opposite of how they responded to Nunge's decision. IMO, that speaks volumes about what CJ's now "ex" teammates feel about the situation and the way he handled it.

Sayonara CJ and "Uncle Joe." The Iowa staff doesn't need a high school assistant coach injecting himself into playing time decisions. Iowa's remaining players don't need a teammate whose uncle will be in his ear about what he thinks is wrong with the program and badmouthing those who are on the floor. They can take that crap to Lexington.

CJ's dumb ass uncle can fire back all he wants but we are not stupid.

Jack Pilgrim is a Kentucky basketball beat writer and he even admits there was tampering.

Matt Jones is the creator & host of Kentucky Sports Radio. He has known for a while that there was plenty of smoke to the rumors. Drew Franklin, by the way is also part of Kentucky Sports Radio.

How did Drew know about CJ to Kentucky for weeks????

There's a rule against tampering and it's a Level II Violation when you do it.

Just read these 4 tweets and connect the dots.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT