ADVERTISEMENT

CJ to Kentucky

Why do we blame Fran if CJ averages 18 points per game at Kentucky? CJ played a lot of minutes when healthy, which was less often than anyone would have liked. CJ had the opportunity to take numerous shots, but passed them up. Are you suggesting Fran told CJ not to shoot.
There are different offenses that teams can run and all I am saying is that if CJ averages a higher number of points at Kentucky, perhaps CJ wasnt a priority in the Iowa offense. You can blame the player, thats fine. But I can blame the coach. To answer your question, NO, i don't think Fran ever would tell a player not to shoot. If CJ is passing up 'numerous shots' at Iowa then he will do the same at Kentucky. So time will tell! The true comparison will be "minutes played vs scoring average per game. Kentucky vs Iowa".

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
I wish we could just hit the portal and bring a replacement in real quick.. CJ was a good ball player don’t get me wrong but he shouldn’t be irreplaceable like it seems.. It seems like Fran and co should be able to go out and find an upgrade actually.. smh
Too late to hit the portal for top players. Had we/Fran known 6 weeks earlier, we would have had a chance.

By the time CJF communicated with Calipari, and knew he was going to get a scholarship, ALL of the players in the portal had already established a relationship with multiple teams... Leaving Iowa Waaay behind the 8 ball.

Are there still decent players available in the portal...? Yep. But again, they all have already been talking to other teams for WEEKS.
THAT is what PO's me about CJF. Very not cool

I'm not going to hate on the guy, but I am not going to root for him either....

Now, Jack Nunge on the other hand, I hope he becomes an All-American, when he becomes mentally and physically healthy again. 🤞

CJ grew up about an hour from UK, and I suspect that played a role. I'm a little surprised that he would find it so easy to be interested, when he was not considered worth recruiting by UK coming out of HS in KY as the POY.

I don't wish bad things for CJ, but since I detest Big Blue and their in-bred fans, I hope any personal success does NOT translate into team success. Agree with BBHawk, Coach Cal is scum, and coaches like him have created a side of college BB that I wish did not exist.

Reactions: hawkandroll
There are different offenses that teams can run and all I am saying is that if CJ averages a higher number of points at Kentucky, perhaps CJ wasnt a priority in the Iowa offense. You can blame the player, thats fine. But I can blame the coach. To answer your question, NO, i don't think Fran ever would tell a player not to shoot. If CJ is passing up 'numerous shots' at Iowa then he will do the same at Kentucky. So time will tell! The true comparison will be "minutes played vs scoring average per game. Kentucky vs Iowa".

So how many here think that Iowa showcased Garza, and especially this year to win the Nesmith award. Garza was the main focus of Iowa's offense for the last 2 years and you're not going to convince me that it wasn't a coincidence that the picking order of Iowa's offensive was Garza, Weezy, JBo, and then C.J.
I'll bet that C.J.'s relatives felt that he should have been more instrumental in Iowa's offensive then he was and that precipitated the late season bailout.
There was defiantly something amiss during the final games of the season as C.J.'s production dropped off immeasurably.
We may never know the real truth of what happened that soured the romance of C.J. and Iowa but I'm sure that it had to do with he on court production and that he relatives thought that he was better then what his statistics showed.

That makes sense. Thank you for the additional detail! We know that CJ was not the focal point of Iowa’s offense with Luka and Joe being the first two options. I think we all would have liked to see CJ shoot more and expect that he would have been the focal point next year if he could stay healthy. Now we will not know.

Reactions: anon_qczsdwtnv6esw
Of course they are. Calling a kid a traitor is just too harsh. I don't care if you agree with me or not. Another poster said I have zero inside info from Iowa program. This is true. I would hope, however, that they would want the best for the young man regardless of what uniform he is wearing. Maybe not? I have no idea.
Did you see the press release when he left. It just announced that he was leaving...no thanks for your time here, no wishing him luck wherever he landed, etc. Basically juse "he's leaving". Given the content when others have transferred, that tells me that they are PO'd as hell about how he handled it. Throw in the Hawkeye sports tween about tampering and the picture is pretty clear.

What CJ apparently did was pretty low class and deserving of much of the negative feedback he is getting. But I ask you all this - how many of you would trade places with him if you could? A basketball player at Kentucky? I mean come on!
But, that really has NOTHING to do with this. Most people are not complaining on him going , its all the lies and cloak and dagger BS. It seems quite clear that days before he entered the portal, Fran was publicly saying how he was good to go and excited to be getting back to practice. Go for Christs sake, but at least be a man about it and tell the coach that your packing.......

Reactions: BDJHawk
I am bummed he left, he was a baller. But, not irreplaceable at all. Next man in.

So how many here think that Iowa showcased Garza, and especially this year to win the Nesmith award. Garza was the main focus of Iowa's offense for the last 2 years and you're not going to convince me that it wasn't a coincidence that the picking order of Iowa's offensive was Garza, Weezy, JBo, and then C.J.
I'll bet that C.J.'s relatives felt that he should have been more instrumental in Iowa's offensive then he was and that precipitated the late season bailout.
There was defiantly something amiss during the final games of the season as C.J.'s production dropped off immeasurably.
We may never know the real truth of what happened that soured the romance of C.J. and Iowa but I'm sure that it had to do with he on court production and that he relatives thought that he was better then what his statistics showed.

Iowa did showcase Garza. CJ still had plenty of opportunities to showcase his skills when healthy as Garza was an excellent passer out of the post. CJ passed up numerous opportunities to shoot when given the ball. He easily could have taken three or four additional shots a game and averaged double figures if he wanted.

I think he easily could have been the third option last year if he was more aggressive in taking shots and going to the basket. I have a hard time imagining that CJ is going to have anywhere near the opportunities to score at Kentucky next year as he had this year or would have had next year at Iowa as one of the main options.

images

I talked to 3 former D1 players (one was a teammate of yours) and one current D1 player last night and everyone agreed they would have done the same as CJ. When you are a starter you don't tell the coach you plan to leave until you are 100% out the door.
Or in his case, making sure the only other school you want has a spot open lol the list of schools that contacted him makes it pretty dam obvious he wasn’t going to have a problem finding a school to land at...the month of him telling Fran he wasn’t going anywhere was obviously just waiting for Cal to say theres a spot. I get not saying anything till you are for sure leaving, but this situation it is just so blatantly obvious there was tampering and cj waiting around for the thumbs up. That is what’s most frustrating, Cal is a f’n scumbag to the core, everyone knows it, ncaa won’t do a dam thing about it.

Or in his case, making sure the only other school you want has a spot open lol the list of schools that contacted him makes it pretty dam obvious he wasn’t going to have a problem finding a school to land at...the month of him telling Fran he wasn’t going anywhere was obviously just waiting for Cal to say theres a spot. I get not saying anything till you are for sure leaving, but this situation it is just so blatantly obvious there was tampering and cj waiting around for the thumbs up. That is what’s most frustrating, Cal is a f’n scumbag to the core, everyone knows it, ncaa won’t do a dam thing about it.

LOL

But, that really has NOTHING to do with this. Most people are not complaining on him going , its all the lies and cloak and dagger BS. It seems quite clear that days before he entered the portal, Fran was publicly saying how he was good to go and excited to be getting back to practice. Go for Christs sake, but at least be a man about it and tell the coach that your packing.......
I think you are missing the point of my post.

I was a big fan of CJ's and thought he would develop into a star here at Iowa, but the truth of the matter is he scored in double figures just twice in the last nineteen games and in eight of those games he scored 5 points or less. Not exactly an irreplaceable scoring juggernaut.

Well, you want to blame the coach, but we all watched the games and I don't remember how many times CJ got the ball in a perfect shooting situation and passed the ball, but it was a lot. Can't blame the coach for his hesitancy. We heard on several occasions that everyone on the team had the green light to shoot the ball.

And hell, for all we know CJ bid the Iowa program farewell via twitter or a call from his uncle. Might be why McCaffery's response was so terse.

I was a big fan of CJ's and thought he would develop into a star here at Iowa, but the truth of the matter is he scored in double figures just twice in the last nineteen games and in eight of those games he scored 5 points or less. Not exactly an irreplaceable scoring juggernaut.

Yet many think UK was so enamored with him that Calipari was calling him directly.

Best of luck to CJ. Not having both sides to the story, I hope he finds the success he’s looking for. Once a Hawkeye...

Well, you want to blame the coach, but we all watched the games and I don't remember how many times CJ got the ball in a perfect shooting situation and passed the ball, but it was a lot. Can't blame the coach for his hesitancy. We heard on several occasions that everyone on the team had the green light to shoot the ball.

And hell, for all we know CJ bid the Iowa program farewell via twitter or a call from his uncle. Might be why McCaffery's response was so terse.
My point was, that if CJ has the same stats and minutes played in Kentucky, then its a 'CJ issue'. If he goes to Kentucky and performs better, then perhaps it was a 'Fran game plan issue'. All I was saying was that it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If you have been following this thread since April 19, you would know that there was tampering involved. As you can see in the orig post, the Kentucky media was practically bragging about the fact that CJ was on his way to Kentucky.

And it is also 100% clear that CJ flat out lied to Fran and his teammates prior to announcing he would be transferring.

I hope karma hits CJ over the next 2 years.

I don't think any Hawk fans will be cheering him on, either.
1. I have been following that thread. However, I responded to this thread. No need to quote my posts in your threads just to bump them, especially with the hoops board as slow as it is. You don’t get monopolies on every topic

2. If there was tampering, that would be an indictment on Kentucky, not CJ

3. There are two sides to every story, and you seem to be conveniently picking Fran’s side without being privy to all conversations/information (I.e. CJ’s side to the story), which just makes it seem like you’re butthurt about CJ leaving. I’m not here to pick sides

4. I am an Iowa fan and am cheering for CJ, so you are wrong. He gave the program three years, and I actually believe in “Once a Hawkeye” (I’d think you would too, being that it was a former username of yours)... not just when it’s applied to players who make me feel warm fuzzies like Nunge

1. I have been following that thread. However, I responded to this thread. No need to quote my posts in your threads just to bump them, especially with the hoops board as slow as it is. You don’t get monopolies on every topic

3. There are two sides to every story, and you seem to be conveniently picking Fran’s side without being privy to all conversations/information (I.e. CJ’s side to the story), which just makes it seem like you’re butthurt about CJ leaving. I’m not here to pick sides

4. I am an Iowa fan and am cheering for CJ, so you are wrong. He gave the program three years, and I actually believe in “Once a Hawkeye” (I’d think you would too, being that it was a former username of yours)... not just when it’s applied to players who make me feel warm fuzzies like Nunge

None of us truly know what happened at this point. I have heard multiple reports that CJ and Fran spoke about the rumors of CJ entering the transfer portal and CJ assured Fran that he was committed to Iowa. I do find it hard to believe that Fran would talk up how excited CJ was to rejoin the team less than week before CJ entered the portal if Fran knew that this was a possibility. Uncle Joe has been given opportunities to talk about what happened and has decided against it so far. I do not wish CJ any ill will, but I will not be rooting for him either.

None of us truly know what happened at this point. I have heard multiple reports that CJ and Fran spoke about the rumors of CJ entering the transfer portal and CJ assured Fran that he was committed to Iowa. I do find it hard to believe that Fran would talk up how excited CJ was to rejoin the team less than week before CJ entered the portal if Fran knew that this was a possibility. Uncle Joe has been given opportunities to talk about what happened and has decided against it so far. I do not wish CJ any ill will, but I will not be rooting for him either.
I get it, and respect your stance since, of course, feelings here boil down to philosophical differences and differences in values/OPINIONS

That said, since I seem to be on the minority end of what is evidently a polarizing topic, I’ll keep further comments to myself and bow out of the conversation. Appreciate the thoughtful response though

So, you are for punishing the institution that tampers with another's roster, but not the player who agrees with the undercover communications?

And yes, I generally agree with your philosophy of "Once a Hawkeye, etc" and will cheer my ass off for a player like Nunge, but I will not cheer for a kid like CJ, given his deceptive handling of the same situation. I hope he finds that, as far as his basketball career goes, the grass is not greener (uh, bluer?) at his new home.

So, you are for punishing the institution that tampers with another's roster, but not the player who agrees with the undercover communications?

And yes, I generally agree with your philosophy of "Once a Hawkeye, etc" and will cheer my ass off for a player like Nunge, but I will not cheer for a kid like CJ, given his deceptive handling of the same situation. I hope he finds that, as far as his basketball career goes, the grass is not greener (uh, bluer?) at his new home.
You can agree or disagree with how the situation was handled by CJ, but tampering as it pertains to college sports is an institution reaching out illegally to a player, regardless of whether or not a player responds. It’s an institutional charge

That might be true what CJ told Fran. But CJ's uncle tells CJ what he's doing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT