ADVERTISEMENT

Clone board meltdown...

It's truly insane isn't it? I sure as hell wasn't cheering for Stanford when they played ISU women. Imagine being from a small state with two power 5 schools that split what little talent there is, and cheering for stacker coastal schools that constantly win titles.

It's truly insane isn't it? I sure as hell wasn't cheering for Stanford when they played ISU women. Imagine being from a small state with two power 5 schools that split what little talent there is, and cheering for stacker coastal schools that constantly win titles.
Jealousy is a really powerful emotion.

Maybe it all dates back to one of their lower tier bowl games a few years ago where the announcers kept referring to them as the Iowa State Hawkeyes? Not aware the State has two D1 programs.

Maybe it all dates back to one of their lower tier bowl games a few years ago where the announcers kept referring to them as the Iowa State Hawkeyes? Not aware the State has two D1 programs.
no=it goes back to the early 80's when Hayden got it going and they were going south, Mark Hansen wrote back then the loudest cheers of the day at Cyclone events would be when they announced the Iowa scores when Iowa was losing.....now the Dm Register kisses their ass every chance they get and it creates a lot of false narratives--
When listening to cyclone fans describing some event in their favor I always laugh and say you must read and believe that Peterson guy's BS

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
no=it goes back to the early 80's when Hayden got it going and they were going south, Mark Hansen wrote back then the loudest cheers of the day at Cyclone events would be when they announced the Iowa scores when Iowa was losing.....now the Dm Register kisses their ass every chance they get and it creates a lot of false narratives--
When listening to cyclone fans describing some event in their favor I always laugh and say you must read and believe that Peterson guy's BS
Mark Hanson
Ron Maly
Donald Kaul

Back when the Register and “The Big Peach”
was a must read.

It really does not make sense does it… I’m gonna tell you there have been many times in the past. I was very frustrated about an Iowa State loss in multiple sports….

Now it doesn’t eat me up and as I’ve said before I don’t live in the state and haven’t for 30 years. I know living in close proximity of a rival fan is a whole different deal, but I generally have nothing but respect and appreciation for them….

I don’t particularly understand our vitriol nor theirs. It’s one thing to not care for a team and believe me when I was 20, 25, 35 maybe even 40 I could still muster up some significant hate for a lot of teams but to me it’s an absolutely ridiculous emotion at this stage of my life. …

Each to their own however…🤷‍♂️

PS…. i’m not gonna list off all the teams in my life, I used to have a monster chip about. But ISU isn’t even in the top 10 to be perfectly honest with you.

This still might be my favorite thread in message board history

This still might be my favorite thread in message board history

307 pages to that thread????

I think the word is "OBSESSION".

Ridiculing lil bro never gets old.

Exactly. I turned away from the Iowa men to watch the ISU women and was rooting for them against Stanford. The head coach is from Davenport. The family owns a classic bar. Many Iowa girls. I can root for them. Their fanbase is hot garbage though.
Yep. He graduated from West 2 years before me. We had some pretty good Falcon basketball AND football teams back in the mid to late 70's. Coach Wessel was an ASS though.....

Reactions: cmhawks99
Yep. He graduated from West 2 years before me. We had some pretty good Falcon basketball AND football teams back in the mid to late 70's. Coach Wessel was an ASS though.....
One of the craziest state title runs I've ever heard of too. Losing record entering the playoffs to state champions. I can't remember the year though. I think Bill Seals and Jim Wessel played on that team but I could be off.

One of the craziest state title runs I've ever heard of too. Losing record entering the playoffs to state champions. I can't remember the year though. I think Bill Seals and Jim Wessel played on that team but I could be off.
Had to be before my time. was Jim related to Dave Wessel (the head coach)? Dude was an ASS. I played junior high at Wallace Wood, (which later became North high school). After our 9th grade season our coach talked to all the players who were heading to high school. Wood was a feeder for both Central and West, as it was on the boundry line. He told the guys going to Central that they'd be fine, but the guys going to West would have a hard time making the team at West. Wessel wanted all the junior highs running his programs and plays. Since Wood fed both high schools our coach would not play ball, so we started behind the 8 ball. I Made the soph team, but not the varsity, (because I was on the football team) supposedly. Come to think of it Roger Harrington (the varsity football coach) was an ASS also. Lolol. Really liked Cy Robinson though. He was a tough SOB, and was on the Washington Redskins roster for a couple of years as a center, I think..

Reactions: cmhawks99
Well lot of the dbag fans I knew beating their chest thinking they’d make final 4 and a dark horse to win it all. Only time I cheered for ILL to win all year was their sweet 16 game vs them. ISU is a women’s CC school. That’s all they have going for them. That and Matt campbells 5* culture.

I was pulling for ISU…🤷‍♂️

This my friends is why I’ never pull for ISU to win any game, any sport, mens or womens and am puzzled why anyone claiming to be an Iowa fan ever pulls for them.
Agreed…it totally confounds me that an Iowa fan would also cheer for trashy in-state rival like iswho. 😜

Reactions: shudaddy
I think the game at Ames is the only arena where Caitlin was booed. 8 pages of whining and hatred is not surprising. But I am surprised it's not a lot more.
I attended the Iowa vs ISU women’s game in Ames this year. Don’t recall CC getting booed, but suppose I maybe missed that? There were certainly a lot of Iowa fans there, so that prolly drowned out any booing.

The same fan bases crying over this were lauding and justifying the CDJ fair catch call. I'm not going to lose any sleep over something that by the book is probably an illegal screen.
Not “probably” it WAS an illegal screen. 😉

Reactions: VodkaSam

I know the cyclone fan base definitely does not like that Iowa nationally is known as the “Hawkeye State”. 😉

They don't care if it was illegal or not. They want us to fail. It will kill some of them if we were to pull the upset tomorrow.
If we pull the upset tomorrow and I was a bus driver in Ames, I'd keep my head on a swivel Monday morning.

Got a few of them at the office and they hate CC22 with a passion. Enjoy all the hate they push at the local sports radio shows on 1460 about the non stop coverage of Iowa and CC22. They are constantly complaining about it all. Andy Fales mentions it on his show about their disdain and all things Iowa. They just don’t understand why they are talking about CC22 and Iowa all the time right now. Final Four participant team and generational player that we will never see again in our lifetime, yet they can’t understand why they aren’t talking about the Cyclones too. Truly stupid fanbase with an inferiority complex.
You have to have actually won something to have a inferiority complex.

Due to location, I went to a lot of ISU fball games in my childhood. They might be down 50 points but if they announced a score of Iowa losing....standing ovation
If we win today, you do know that living in Ames, you will need to wear these tomorrow:

s801604254924252141_p447_i7_w600.png

If we win today, you do know that living in Ames, you will need to wear these tomorrow:

s801604254924252141_p447_i7_w600.png

I don't have a pair. But I'll be wearing hawkeye clothes randomly walking around campus town until some farm boy wants to fight me. Then I'll gladly take a punch to the face and then own his Ford F-250

This.... I hate all things ISU...wish all their fans stayed in Lames and in their lane
A few years ago, there was a campaign by some Clone fans to boycott the Kum and Go convenience stores in Ames because the Krause family are big Hawkeye boosters.

If you go to the women's basketball forum on Cyclone Fanatic, the discussions are (and always have been) reasonable.

I think every fan base has its fair share of insufferable fans. As an ISU alumnus and fan, I have taken a lot or crap over the years from Hawk fans. I think Hayden Fry had a lot to do with the animosity between fan bases.
He rubbed it in. Hawk fans loved it. Cyclone fans hated it, and things grew from there.

Most of it is good natured ribbing. Some of it is just sheer meanness + stupidity. I have seem the same from ISU fans to Iowa fans. The MOST I have seen or read) is on message boards. No one has ever called me a "Clown" or "Hillbilly Dork" to my face, but I see it all the time on message boards. I guess anonymity allows for that. It's weird.

As for Clark, I think most (not all) Cyclone fans dislike the attention she gets because a lot (not all) Hawk fans + especially the media seem to ignore her antics on the floor. My argument is "how would Hawk fans respond to her behavior if she played for another team (especially Iowa State)". It's all about perspective. Iowa State fans felt slighted by the media this year. Probably the 2nd best team in their basketball history, but there were times you would never know it. KCRG in CR was awful about it (again from my perspective). We understand WHY Clark + the Iowa women got so much attention, but the media is supposed to be objective. Oftentimes they were not. It will be interesting next year to see how much attention the Iowa women get without Clark.

I think people see what they want to see sometimes, and are blinded by their Fandom. Clark is a great player, but her behavior on the floor is "questionable". That is what I see. A Hawk fan maybe sees something different. Switch uniforms, and perspectives sometime change. A questionable illegal screen call might depend on what team you cheer for? Same goes for DeJeans fair catch call, and the "blarge call" on Paul Shirley in the 2000 Elite 8 game vs. Michigan State. The list goes on + on with every team at every level.

Anyway Hawk fans, enjoy the game today. Although I'm not a Hawk fan, I am pulling for Iowa because I am an Iowan. It's pretty cool to have a team down the road play in the Final Four + title game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT