ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Miles was a great commentator

slipHawk

HR Heisman
Mar 21, 2003
Thought he was hilarious while still being informative. Saw there was another thread bashing him but I don’t agree.

He seems new to the biz but was quite pleasant in his delivery and I think will be a great addition to TV. Need more data but he projects above Dakitch for me.

I enjoyed Miles also,.. Ex coaches from the conference have tended to do well with commentary,.. I recall Tom Crean doing some exceptional work a couple seasons ago...

Miles is fine. Upbeat (which I like), finding good things to say, having a little fun. He did a good job.

But, he didn't finish the game well ...

1. Thought the Hawks had another foul to give when they had 6 fouls.

2. With Oturu on the line with seconds remaining for a one-and-one, was talking about a strategy where if he missed the first one, he could miss the second one on purpose.

3. Wondered if Connor should miss the 2nd FT on purpose, when a make would seal the tie. I suppose there is an argument to be made that it would prevent Minny from getting any kind of good look at the end.

It's picky, but these end of game comments made it seem like he was choking with the game on the line. ;)

Can't stand any of the big ten announcers. Shonn morris sucks bad miles not much better bardo shut the sound off. I hate announcer that try to talk over the play and analyze a 10 ft dribble and turnover

Miles is fine. Upbeat (which I like), finding good things to say, having a little fun. He did a good job.

2. With Oturu on the line with seconds remaining for a one-and-one, was talking about a strategy where if he missed the first one, he could miss the second one on purpose.

3. Wondered if Connor should miss the 2nd FT on purpose, when a make would seal the tie. I suppose there is an argument to be made that it would prevent Minny from getting any kind of good look at the end.

It's picky, but these end of game comments made it seem like he was choking with the game on the line. ;)

Good observations here about the end of the game comments which suddenly seemed rather incoherent. I chalk it up to inexperience and errors he won't likely make as he gets more seasoning. That game struck me as not an easy one to call with the wildly inconsistent officiating and the game getting as chippy as it did. At one point with a media timeout coming I thought he made a rather pertinent comment about everybody just needing a break.

I liked Miles as a coach and thought he got a rather raw deal in the way they handled his firing over in Lincoln. Engaging guy who may have found his niche. My guess we will see him around for awhile.

Yes, there is an argument for #3. I have seen coaches elect to do this but more like when there is less than 2-3 seconds. The other two you would think a seasoned coach would be second nature. Reminds me of listening to Bob Knight do a game some years ago. While Bobby was a pretty good commentator at the end of the game a player went to the line his team up 2 points and a couple second left. He made the first to put them up 3 and Bobby said he should miss the 2nd so the opposition didn’t have time to get a good tying shot. Bobby! A make puts you up 4! Head scratcher for someone who coached as long as he had.

Yes, there is an argument for #3. I have seen coaches elect to do this but more like when there is less than 2-3 seconds. The other two you would think a seasoned coach would be second nature. Reminds me of listening to Bob Knight do a game some years ago. While Bobby was a pretty good commentator at the end of the game a player went to the line his team up 2 points and a couple second left. He made the first to put them up 3 and Bobby said he should miss the 2nd so the opposition didn’t have time to get a good tying shot. Bobby! A make puts you up 4! Head scratcher for someone who coached as long as he had.

Agree. Except in Bob's case, he wasn't really watching the game anyway. ;)

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo

At least Bobby tried and Miles is trying. I live for Bill Waltons life advice during basketball games, its fantastic and has nothing to do with the games. Dude was howling at the moon on air last weekend. :)

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Hold on, people enjoyed him!? He was one of the worst broadcasters I’ve ever listened to. Sounded like what I’d imagine my childhood pastor.

Did nobody catch the “you should miss the free throw here” line when Connor missed the 1st and was trying to put us up 3? He was awful.

Miles is good, that was the second time we've had him I believe. Much better than I would have imagined based on his sideline antics. He has a little Tony Romo in him.

Reactions: DelmonteGriffith
I like Miles a lot but he seemed more interested in telling jokes than explaining what was happening in the game. He will get better with more experience.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Thought he was hilarious while still being informative. Saw there was another thread bashing him but I don’t agree.

He seems new to the biz but was quite pleasant in his delivery and I think will be a great addition to TV. Need more data but he projects above Dakitch for me.

A lot of people are going to say that he's bad, but Miles is growing into the role. He's lovable and entertaining. That's a combination that networks like. Being a good analyst is secondary, though as a former coach I think he offers some good insights.

I liked Miles ever since he was at Nebraska.... Kind of rambled a little and like stated above, made some weird calls about strategy but I like his commentary for the most part and he'll clean up those mistakes... he's kind of like a dryer version of Bill Walton lol

Did you catch when he said he talked to CJF and said he has a regular sprained ankle not a high ankle sprain?

He has a little Tony Romo in him.

That might explain the high pitched voice.

I didn’t mind Miles. I fast forwarded a lot of it having already watched it once. I thought he was solid, but it kind of turned into a two hour comedy routine towards the end.

I agree with others who said they’d rather have Miles commentate than a lot of others.

Reactions: Hawksfor3

I was also wondering what he was talking about for all 3 of these as I heard them.

I agree , he was excellent . He gave a coaches perspective, and was funny too.

I was surprised that I enjoyed his commentary. His jokes were sometimes corny, but at least he has a self-deprecating sense of humor. He's not a big ego guy or anything. His analysis wasn't always on point, but I'm a little more forgiving to a guy who genuinely seems to be a good person who also really enjoys the game. I'll take him over plenty of other announcers, that's for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT