ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Staff Got Owned

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Players sucked but coaching staff had terrible game prep, terrible adjustments terrible overall affect on the game. You can see why Wisconsin can put together a complete full BIG season nearly every year and get to the B1G Championship no matter how easy or how hard their schedule is and why Iowa can only really do it maybe once out of every four years.

We are now 1-4 against Wisconsin in our last 5 meetings despite all their head coaching changes all their coordinator and postion coaching changes. Northwestern has caught us. Minnesota can compete with us. Our OC is learning on the go in the B1G. We are 0-5 in our last 5 bowls being outscored 172-71.

What direction is this program going in? They are treading water. Before you say give this young team time. Remember we said that about Beathards young team. His teams led us to 3 blow out bowl loses and 0 B1G Championships. Our D loses 3 LB's and likely our best overall player in Jackson.

The fans defending the coaching staff are the same ones that make fun of ISU for us being their Super Bowl. Is Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St our Super Bowl? We point to one game a year and pretend everything is ok. Or that embarrassing Rose Bowl trip 3 years ago. What other fanbase puts up with this crap? Whats our biggest highlight in the last 5 years? That we won the B1G West once, lost the B1G Championship and then went to the Rose Bowl to get embarresed?

Players sucked but coaching staff had terrible game prep, terrible adjustments terrible overall affect on the game. You can see why Wisconsin can put together a complete full BIG season nearly every year and get to the B1G Championship no matter how easy or how hard their schedule is and why Iowa can only really do it maybe once out of every four years.

We are now 1-4 against Wisconsin in our last 5 meetings despite all their head coaching changes all their coordinator and postion coaching changes. Northwestern has caught us. Minnesota can compete with us. Our OC is learning on the go in the B1G. We are 0-5 in our last 5 bowls being outscored 172-71.

What direction is this program going in? They are treading water. Before you say give this young team time. Remember we said that about Beathards young team. His teams led us to 3 blow out bowl loses and 0 B1G Championships. Our D loses 3 LB's and likely our best overall player in Jackson.

The fans defending the coaching staff are the same ones that make fun of ISU for us being their Super Bowl. Is Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St our Super Bowl? We point to one game a year and pretend everything is ok. Or that embarrassing Rose Bowl trip 3 years ago. What other fanbase puts up with this crap? Whats our biggest highlight in the last 5 years? That we won the B1G West once, lost the B1G Championship and then went to the Rose Bowl to get embarresed?
Over-react much? feel better now?

Nothing I have said is an overreaction. I have just given a review. Maybe you underreact? You must care because you respond to these type of posts. Maybe you would care to show how the program is on the right track and challenge my belief and statements? Shed posistive light on these last 5-6 seasons?

Nothing I have said is an overreaction. I have just given a review. Maybe you underreact? You must care because you respond to these type of posts. Maybe you would care to show how the program is on the right track and challenge my belief and statements? Shed posistive light on these last 5-6 seasons?
careful, don't ruffle too many feathers on here. They might tell you to, gasp, find another team. Not likely you'll find many capable of a rational discussion about this team on this board

Iowa and the majority of fans on this board are stuck in their ways were having a CHANCE at being pretty good every few years is ok. Kirk did so well in 02-04 and 08,09 that everyone seems to be still willing to give him a pass for anything. quite frankly I don't care how "young" we are anymore.

What sets a program like Wisconsin so far apart from Iowa? They are 70-22 over the last 7 years. What is the significant difference between the two programs that allows fans of Wisconsin to expect 10+ wins a year coupled with FIVE trips to the B1G champ game vs Iowa fans who seem content and happy with team that has 1 season with more than 8 wins (12-2 ... that schedule tho...) 5 straight bowl losses, 1 big ten champ game appearance, and a 4-8 season in those same 7 years.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the 3 HEAD COACHES Wisconsin has had during that same time frame. Weird. Listening to everyone on this board you'd think that you had to keep the guy who might win 8 games a year for life to make sure you could be competitive in CFB

careful, don't ruffle too many feathers on here. They might tell you to, gasp, find another team. Not likely you'll find many capable of a rational discussion about this team on this board

Iowa and the majority of fans on this board are stuck in their ways were having a CHANCE at being pretty good every few years is ok. Kirk did so well in 02-04 and 08,09 that everyone seems to be still willing to give him a pass for anything. quite frankly I don't care how "young" we are anymore.

What sets a program like Wisconsin so far apart from Iowa? They are 70-22 over the last 7 years. What is the significant difference between the two programs that allows fans of Wisconsin to expect 10+ wins a year coupled with FIVE trips to the B1G champ game vs Iowa fans who seem content and happy with team that has 1 season with more than 8 wins (12-2 ... that schedule tho...) 5 straight bowl losses, 1 big ten champ game appearance, and a 4-8 season in those same 7 years.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the 3 HEAD COACHES Wisconsin has had during that same time frame. Weird. Listening to everyone on this board you'd think that you had to keep the guy who might win 8 games a year for life to make sure you could be competitive in CFB

Good post but can we stop pointing to '08 as a great season? 4 regular season losses when you dont play michigan or OSU (debby wasnt even on schedule then) is a nice/okay season at best, even with the PSU upset. The pitt (JC gm) and illinois losses that yr were awful

only included it due to 9 wins, good point though.
Good post but can we stop pointing to '08 as a great season? 4 regular season losses when you dont play michigan or OSU (debby wasnt even on schedule then) is a nice/okay season at best, even with the PSU upset. The pitt (JC gm) and illinois losses that yr were awful

He's right, you know.
KF always manages to have that "magical" season once every 5-6 years and all is forgotten. While outside of those infrequent seasons, Iowa is very mediocre.
The AD is content with it since the B1G tv contracts keep the $$$ rolling in. So barring some major scandal, nothing ever will change.

I'll point to it as a good season and anyone that says it's not is wrong. That's not arguable, debatable or negotiable. Deal with it.

Sarcastic response, "Well I guess that settles it then."

Yeah it motherf***ing does.

Reactions: sob5
I'll point to it as a good season and anyone that says it's not is wrong. That's not arguable, debatable or negotiable. Deal with it.

Sarcastic response, "Well I guess that settles it then."

Yeah it motherf***ing does.

Just because you say something doesn't make it true clown. Playing nobody and still losing 4 fing games does not make it a great season no matter what s clown like you says

The issue here is that everything you just said is you venting.

Everyone has already heard every dissatisfaction there is to speak of about Iowa football.

But beyond venting, what are your words?

You want to see them do this. You want to see them do that. We need to change, change, change. And when it doesn't happen, you'll do what?

Complain some more, because that's all we have.

You think complaining is gonna convince the Cleveland Browns organization to finally see the light and suddenly they'll trade for and draft all the talent they need and hire the right coach to coach up their acquired talent to finally win that elusive Super Bowl?

F*** no. It ain't happening. That obviously doesn't mean Browns fans will stop complaining. That may not mean they'll stop being fans (same goes for Iowa fans btw).....

But beyond that, what can they do?

"So what you want us to just sit there and take it?"

Of course not. I'm asking you what you're gonna do about it. And sure someone could give me an answer to that, like "not go to games" or "write strongly worded letters to the AD or the President or the Board of Regents or your f***ing local congressman" or "refuse to buy merchandise and hope enough people all do the same for all those other things listed that CHANGE will finally take place"................but that's still not gonna be good enough.

So beyond that what are you gonna do about it?

"Fine, I'll just stick to venting....:rolleyes:"

Funny how that works, huh.....that that's all you guys who still want to be Iowa fans can come back to.

"At least we have our message boards to complain on, because dammit I want change! I want the coaching staff fired and I want better recruits and dammit I want a national championship because it's not too much to ask of the other 120 some teams/coaches in the FBS and the NCAA to allow that to happen and to allow Iowa, of all f***ing schools to actually get all the breaks needed to actually win a national title, because dammit that's what I demand because I have high expectations. I hold myself to higher expectations so the team I root for should do the same dammit!!!!!!"

All been heard before. Does anything change? F*** no.

So what else can you do besides vent?.............

Just sayin.

P.S. All of this is true, btw, regardless of if you don't like it. I'm not gonna play games with anyone this time. Everything I said is true. Enjoy! :)

Just because you say something doesn't make it true clown. Playing nobody and still losing 4 fing games does not make it a great season no matter what s clown like you says
So basically you just want to get the last word in.......

It's also funny (and predictable) that you tell me that what I say isn't true (even though it is), just because I said it........and then you turn around and say the opposite and try to pass it off as truth (when it's not).

Like I said, I already know what you're gonna say because it's all been said hundreds of times before.

And yes, in this case, you are wrong. And it is not debatable regardless of how hard you try to get the last word in on this.

Deal with it.

I was thinking back to adjustments Hayden’s teams made at halftime of some games. Iowa would look like a different team in the second half. It helped that iowa had bill Snyder as offensive coordinator Haven’t seen that in many years.

He's right, you know.
KF always manages to have that "magical" season once every 5-6 years and all is forgotten. While outside of those infrequent seasons, Iowa is very mediocre.
The AD is content with it since the B1G tv contracts keep the $$$ rolling in. So barring some major scandal, nothing ever will change.
Yup.Money runs iowa sports. And IOWA BRAND OR IMAGE.Cap and ad only have to bring gold in and maintain iowa way.Their boss "regent requires those 2 and with boosters approval.POWER AND MONEY.Me asks Pray for surf huh?

So is it “they” or “we”??? Remember you have zero connection to the football team. You don’t play, coach or have your day affected by their day. Cut bait...it is obviously too much for you to handle

BF is clearly in over his head. Zero experience calling plays before this year and expecting to learn on the fly in the Big10. An experienced OC can make adjustments against any defense, clearly not happening on this team! He is not dumb, but KF clearly did not prepare him for this position and we all know this was the plan the day he joined the coaching staff.

would this real Offensive Coordinator make our receivers catch a pass so we could keep drives going?

Exactly...two bad drops on third down, bad throw with not enough air to hit an open TE turns to an INT, and early snap leading to a TD. I don’t care who the coordinator is, this was on the players. For as good as they played last week it was the exact opposite yesterday.

I remember when Wisconsin had a very bad football program then Barry Alvarez came in as coach and now AD and has turned their entire sports programs into national powers in the sports that really matter. It's amazing what happens when you have the right leader in place to make the necessary and proper changes to be successful.

Congrats to Wisconsin for being so successful and unfortunately, kicking our Hawks butt up and down the field yesterday. It was a men vs boys show yesterday. The President of Iowa, Bruce Herald has some work to do with regards to the leadership of Iowa Athletics to find that person to take iowa to the next level on a more consistent basis.

Exactly...two bad drops on third down, bad throw with not enough air to hit an open TE turns to an INT, and early snap leading to a TD. I don’t care who the coordinator is, this was on the players. For as good as they played last week it was the exact opposite yesterday.
Good points.Things do balance out.Then you must play.Still not placing Mr.Akrum split wide to create space is a true HEAD SCRACTHER.He is a game changer.Don Patterson says same thing.Worked for Coach FRY how long?

I was thinking back to adjustments Hayden’s teams made at halftime of some games. Iowa would look like a different team in the second half. It helped that iowa had bill Snyder as offensive coordinator Haven’t seen that in many years.
Ah yes the ability to look back with foggy nostalgic glasses. Fry got his butt kicked more then a few times as well, including several big bowl games as well. In the end the fact that we beat OSU by 31 last week means no more then if we won by 3 points, and the same goes for this week. It will have no bearing on games going forward.

Brian Ferentz is showing to be the Todd Lickliter of football coordinators. His inability to make effective in game changes doesn't give a warm fuzzy feeling about the future.
To be fair, he finally made adjustments midway through the third quarter. Fant dropped a ball and Easley did the very next play. That's when the wheels fell off and the WRs dropped every pass. The offense was finally moving and then the shotgun snap that Stanley wasn't expecting happened.

But overall I agree, it was way too late to start calling an attack offense like last week.

Reactions: RogerKint
Good points.Things do balance out.Then you must play.Still not placing Mr.Akrum split wide to create space is a true HEAD SCRACTHER.He is a game changer.Don Patterson says same thing.Worked for Coach FRY how long?

Hayden Fry was great, but somehow he continues to get batter as time goes by. Same with Dr. Tom and KOK.

Fans were on Hayden during the Donnie Patterson years. The majority was very happy he retired so Iowa could move to the "next level". I swear, Tim Dwight only got to touch the ball 4 or 5 times a game, and fans would scream.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I remember when Wisconsin had a very bad football program then Barry Alvarez came in as coach and now AD and has turned their entire sports programs into national powers in the sports that really matter. It's amazing what happens when you have the right leader in place to make the necessary and proper changes to be successful.

Congrats to Wisconsin for being so successful and unfortunately, kicking our Hawks butt up and down the field yesterday. It was a men vs boys show yesterday. The President of Iowa, Bruce Herald has some work to do with regards to the leadership of Iowa Athletics to find that person to take iowa to the next level on a more consistent basis.
Thoughtfully stated.

It looked like Wisconsin had 20 guys playing defense. They were EVERYWHERE all game long. The total incompetence of Iowa's "offense" was reminiscent of the glory days of 0-11 Frank Lauterbur back in the early 1970s.
I mean that fiasco was a complete embarrassment.

Wisconsin is pretty predictable, but Iowa just had NO answer at all. And that's been true for about five years now. Five years and Iowa still can't develop a reasonably effective offensive game plan vs. Wisconsin. By that I mean, an offense that, when it is given the ball at midfield after a fumble recovery, can at least "drive" into FG range instead of gaining a couple yards and then launching a 25-yard punt....

The Josh Jackson-led defense did its best to keep Iowa in the game, but when you can't even generate an occasional first down, wow....

Finally, Iowa failed miserably to match Wisconsin's energy. The Badgers came in to send a message, and Iowa politely stepped aside and let them do it. Another sad day for Iowa football....

Ah yes the ability to look back with foggy nostalgic glasses. Fry got his butt kicked more then a few times as well, including several big bowl games as well. In the end the fact that we beat OSU by 31 last week means no more then if we won by 3 points, and the same goes for this week. It will have no bearing on games going forward.

Slice it however you need to, yesterday was the most brutal offensive performance by an Iowa team in a very long time.

Reactions: papabeef
Slice it however you need to, yesterday was the most brutal offensive performance by an Iowa team in a very long time.

And it had everything to do with a bad offensive line. Stanley wasn't very good either and there were some drops.

Ultimately, though, the offensive line couldn't open any holes in the running game and couldn't protect long enough in the passing game. That's why we had 66 total yards.

Call whatever plays you want as a coaching staff...they aren't going to work when you're getting steamrolled at the line.

So is it “they” or “we”??? Remember you have zero connection to the football team. You don’t play, coach or have your day affected by their day. Cut bait...it is obviously too much for you to handle

Your constant penchant of getting mad at anyone who says anything negative about the program shows YOU are the one whose too emotionally tied to the program and feels as if you are a part of the program. Sorry bud, you aren't. You are a F-A-N; nothing more nothing less. Typical scheme where you try cloaking your own feeling a part of the program by trying to claim others are. You're getting upset again at another here who you feel is trying to nudge you off the Hawkeye program bus you imagine yourself to be on; sitting right between Kirk and Brian.

Cut bait dude. Find other hobbies. Stop taking this stuff so seriously. Not everything you own needs to be black and gold and all your kids names don't need to be named in tribute of former Hawkeye greats. Most of the Christmas gifts you hand out to friends and family don't need to have a Hawkeye theme to them. You remind me of the guy who lives across the street from me--there's a certain portion of you that are wired like this. Kirk Ferentz doesn't even want glory worshipers like yourself.

Last edited:

Time to hire a real Offensive Coordinator.

Doesn't matter who you hire if you have KF mandating it has to be pro style offense and you have to stick with zone blocking. Clearly the Offensive line and the blocking scheme is broken. Once every 5 years, they get a O-line that has been together long enough that they can jell with the zone blocking in run game. However, if they do jell in run game, they probably suck at pass protection. Then there is thing called a blitz which should be outlawed....Iowa doesn't like to use it on defense, but it sure works wonders against Iowa's offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT