ADVERTISEMENT

Connor officially redshirting

This is not a redshirt....call it anything you want but even if he's walking on to coach Heller's team, he's using up 1 year of his 4 years at Iowa....if he redshirts next year in both baseball and basketball then yes he will have 3 years left to play either baseball or basketball or both....prove me wrong.....

We have room for Joe next year. I assume we may 1 or two transfers with the front court depth sorting itself out and the guard court playing time defined a bit more.

Joe, Conner, and one more solid recruit would make us a serious threat in two years and leave us well positioned (knowing Patrick is coming) until they graduate.

This is not a redshirt....call it anything you want but even if he's walking on to coach Heller's team, he's using up 1 year of his 4 years at Iowa....if he redshirts next year in both baseball and basketball then yes he will have 3 years left to play either baseball or basketball or both....prove me wrong.....
He'll still have 4 years to play basketball I'm pretty sure. I doubt they would have done this if wasn't able to do all four.

Reactions: easy2
Fran thinks he will still have four years to play BB. Seems like a very thoughtful decision that maximizes everything Connor could want. Only downside is that it leaves the basketball team a little thin at PG, especially if JB got hurt.

Last edited:
He'll still have 4 years to play basketball I'm pretty sure. I doubt they would have done this if wasn't able to do all four.

I get it, doubt he plays 4 years in both sports but I'm sure the family is doing wants best for Connor....

Why don't you prove yourself right?

Don't we think Fran knows the eligibility requirements for college athletics ?
If he doesn't he should be removed from coaching permanently out of sheer stupidity. Fran's not stupid. Some on this site are though.

No, he's not. As soon as he enrolls in college, he has 5 years to complete 4 years of competition in any sport. If he played 3 sports, he'd have 5 years to complete 4 years of competition in each. In CM's case...

He can -
1st year - RS in basketball, play baseball
2nd year - Play both
3rd year - play both
4th year - play both (now out of eligibility in baseball)
5th year - play basketball

-or-

1st year - Play basketball, RS baseball
2nd year - Play both
3rd year - Play both
4th year - play both (out of eligibility in basketball)
5th year - Play baseball

-or-

1st year - Play both
2nd year - RS basketball, play baseball
3rd year - play both
4th year - play basketball, RS baseball
5th year - play both

-or-

(you get the idea) You have 5 years to participate 4 years. His clock starts when he starts classes as a student. it ends at the end of his 5th year or the end of the 4th season in which he participates. He could play 4 sports, it doesn't matter, he has 5 years to complete 4 years of competition in any or all 4.

Go to Bylaw 12.8 of the link
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D117.pdf

Yes, you can play one sport while redshirting another. Tim Dwight played four years of football, and used his fifth on track.

My niece ran cross country at a P5 in the fall, and is redshirting track in the spring due to an injury.

Reactions: SSG T
I love this decision. It will allow Conner to measure himself with the baseball thing all the while maximizing his time playing with his brother (which will benefit the whole family, as would Conner going pro in baseball if he proves good enough), and with Joe Wieskamp...that's a bonus. I'm probably one of the few here that have played two sports in college, with one of those being baseball (football scholly), and can tell that while I had a Legion coach tell me I could play pro ball if I dedicated myself to baseball, I was quickly humbled during that baseball stint in college by throwing strength from the outfield compared to another guy. I'm anxious to see how Conner stacks up in baseball, he sure does have a great frame.

Last edited:
If he attends classes at Iowa, he would have to wait until after his junior year to enter the MLB draft. All in all, this seems like a good option. He's going to give baseball a full-go for his first year and get a better indication as to what his ultimate ability might be there. He's been an impressive baseball player at West without ever not having basketball take up a big chunk of time.

If it looks like he has a future in baseball, he can focus on that. Still would have basketball and would be a year closer to his brother in classes.
I am here to say i was completely wrong last winter on CM playing baseball. I didnt realize he bad the kind of potential he has shown in baseball. I predicted long long ago he wouldnt be playing baseball

This will be very interesting to see how this shakes out. I will probably come just to see him take BP next spring.

I assume he projects as an outfielder? Anyone?

Of course he'll practice with both teams but will put top priority into baseball. This isn't about playing with his brother. This is about baseball. There's no way the baseball coach would allow him to be part of the team and not put 100% into it. If Connor just wanted to play with his brother, all he has to do is redshirt and not play baseball and accomplish the same thing. There's no way Fran would allow him to "play around" on the baseball team. My guess is, Fran wants his kids to put everything into whatever they're doing.
Agreed. With the (ridiculous) 35 man roster limitation placed on baseball, Heller cannot afford for any player to not be completely focused on baseball

One thing I rarely see mentioned... A redshirt would theoretically let Connor start 2 years at PG, rather than just 1 if he doesn't redshirt.

Of course, you know what happens with projections.

This decision allows him both to give his full shot at baseball, where he has a higher ceiling, and maximize his basketball playing time.
Hasnt fran offered 3 or 4 pretty high level PGs the last week or so for the 18 and 19 classes? That is curious

Yes, you can play one sport while redshirting another. Tim Dwight played four years of football, and used his fifth on track.

My niece ran cross country at a P5 in the fall, and is redshirting track in the spring due to an injury.
This was the example I was thinking about. TD was also a professional athlete that 5th year.

I believe that Daily has been quoted to the effect that he is not a pg. He didn't see any action last year, don't think that's really an option. I thought Ellingson was the answer last season but he didn't play any meaningful minutes at pg either. I think we are going in with the same 2 pg's as last year, hope it works.
I don't believe Brady was recruited as a PG and do not see him contributing in that role.

Reactions: Vbeachawk

Was this supposed to be funny?

I'm very pleased with this news. I'm sure it was Connor's decision to make if there was mutual interest from both coaches obviously to work out a way for him. I'm stoked he's a Hawkeye baseball and basketball player. Looking forward to following both of his college stints.

Will he be done with baseball in time to make the overseas trip and can he travel as a RS?

You are wrong and it isn't this boards responsibility to educate you. However, consider that eligibility for each sport is a separate consideration. If he walks on to the baseball team, he'll use up 1 year of baseball eligibility, but he'll still have 4 years to play 4 seasons of basketball. You are forgetting that the rule of having 5 years to play 4 seasons is always in effect for each sport.

Fran thinks he will still have four years to play BB. Seems like a very thoughtful decision that maximizes everything Connor could want. Only downside is that it leaves the basketball team a little thin at PG, especially if JB got hurt.
More than a little thin at pg, imo. I have to admit that I thought CW would be good at pg and unfortunately, from what I've seen this past season, he is not on the offensive end and Iowa has no other pg than JB.

This may be the best option for Connor the person and the baseball player but it obviously hurts next season's basketball team. This is a very calculated decision and I don't think Fran would admit to it but he is sacrificing next season for the next 2-3-4, IMHO. Uhl is the only senior and probably is not going to even play all that much, if last season is any indication. I think next years team can still be good, but lack of a true backup pg keeps us from being great. I think the great teams for Fran are 2-3-4 years away.

I think some of us are missing the point. Connor isn't going away as a recruit, he is coming to campus and redshirting. We aren't "thin" at PG, we are actually in a great spot. I assume Connor will be practicing with the basketball team, will be sitting on the bench, has been studying Hawk basketball with his father for a few years.

The redshirt can be removed at any point. That means another decision will likely have to be made if:

1. Jbo gets injured...
2. CW doesn't progress as backup...
3. One of the other guys can't step in and help...

It is the best possible of all situations. Redshirts don't take players out of the picture for the season, they simply extending the decision making timeframe.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
I think some of us are missing the point. Connor isn't going away as a recruit, he is coming to campus and redshirting. We aren't "thin" at PG, we are actually in a great spot. I assume Connor will be practicing with the basketball team, will be sitting on the bench, has been studying Hawk basketball with his father for a few years.

The redshirt can be removed at any point. That means another decision will likely have to be made if:

1. Jbo gets injured...
2. CW doesn't progress as backup...
3. One of the other guys can't step in and help...

It is the best possible of all situations. Redshirts don't take players out of the picture for the season, they simply extending the decision making timeframe.

Go Hawks!

Fran must think it is a good move, otherwise Connor redshirting would not happen. I think it is a good thing, as we do not even know if Connor is capable of playing PG at the college level as a true freshman, or at all.

We need to remember that most, including Fran, were not sure if JBo was capable of playing PG at this level. Turns out he is not all that bad at it.

Coach thinks we have some ball handlers, as he has stated he has more ball handlers(and shooters) than he has ever had. He knows what he has more than anyone here. Add another year to Dailey, CW, Brady, Moss, and even guys like Baer & Pemsl, who is capable of a little point forward, and we have some players that can move the ball.

I believe we are going to be fine, as does Fran. If there is an emergency, then we do what CentralHawk said, and pull the redshirt. But I think we have to lose several players for that emergency to happen...IMHO.

I am here to say i was completely wrong last winter on CM playing baseball. I didnt realize he bad the kind of potential he has shown in baseball. I predicted long long ago he wouldnt be playing baseball

This will be very interesting to see how this shakes out. I will probably come just to see him take BP next spring.

I assume he projects as an outfielder? Anyone?

Since you have no idea whether he projects as an outfielder, I'm assuming you've never even seen him play baseball. That is probably why you were totally wrong in your prediction. Typical of people making bold predictions on this board without any knowledge of the facts.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Sorry if already discussed but I assume he loses a year of college eligibility by playing baseball full-time even though he stated that under this plan he is "redshirting the first year for basketball"...... or not ... it wouldn't make sense to specifically mention a basketball redshirt unless he is able to retain the 4 year basketball scholarship.
Nope. 5 years to play 4 in either/both sport.

Is it just me or is there a Trey Dickerson factor going on? He said he had no idea why Iowa recruited him in the first place. I assume this means that if he wasn't going to unseat Gesell or even Clemmons for his backup PG role, then what's the point? Please set aside all of the 3,628 things wrong with that statement for a moment and try to note the similarities.

There are none. Mike was at best average at face value, Anthony regressed SEVERELY from his freshman to sophomore year. Yet we still struggled to find minutes for a recruit that Wichita St and Arkansas went hard after. The guy we have now bested Gesell's best season in every reliable statistic average and matched Mike's entire CAREER for 3-pt baskets - all in his freshman season. The next guy draws favorable comparisons to Val Barnes. After that is Christian Williams, who has an intriguing argument to actually start over the latter player. After that is either MacCausland or Oglesby, depending on which one Ellingson chooses to mimic.

Two things: 1. Yes, I lied about the Gesell thing- he averaged more APG his Sr year than Bohannon did and made 5 more threes during his career, but it was close enough that most reading believed it. 2. I don't have to tell anyone our backcourt is crowded. But I'm trying to put it into context here. Not only does he have to leapfrog two gifted players only to become the backup *anything* guard, but all players in question have two years or more left. Could Connor have surpassed all 3 to start alongside Bohannon THIS YEAR? If so it means Moss not only failed to become Val Barnes,but even Rod Griffin was too much to ask Ellingson never becomes that 3-pt marksman, Williams remains stagnant. In other words, things that would kill our season if they came to a fruition.C-Mac or no C-Mac, we need some luck here. Perhaps beyond. Whatever folks making predictions for the 2018-2019 squad are drooling over they will have to X out a 2-guard and a sharpshooter.

All that, three paragraphs, still haven't even alluded to Mac's skill-set. For context, it's pretty bad when how good you are doesn't factor into your role. But that's where we stand. Connor's ability doesn't concern me nearly as much as Moss' ability or Ellingson's 3-point shooting ability. The sheer amount of misfortunes this team would have to endure before he can flash his game would cripple us. Even this year we lost 5 games to the likes of Omaha and Memphis during the transition from Williams to Bohannon. Whatever the speculation is, the best case scenario doesn't change the fact that one year of eligibility separates three fantastic guards.

Until now, that is. C-Mac is going to have to sit no matter what's going on ahead of him so it might as well be behind two established guards next year rather the alternative, being a hilarious game of musical chairs between them all this season that ends with...no standout 2-guard. We've had logjams before involving recruits and they tend to turn out like Duez-Worley-Thompson and Basabe-McCabe-Uthoff, One player out of *SIX* listed experienced any tangible success after this, and that was the five star transfer who entered the fray as a sophomore transfer. Even more hilarious, we ended both seasons without a SF, lol. Nobody developed, nobody benefited from the competition. Lose, Lose, Lose. Especially that 2001 team with Worley, right? Well, actually that was the last time we gave ANY nationally-ranked freshman significant PT and end with a tournament bid. Pierre was next, followed by Horner-Brunner, followed by Smith, then Gatens, then Gesell-Woody. He sits, we lose. He plays regularly, we lose.

Long story short, nothing upon nothing about this indicates bad news for Hawkeyes fans. Not logic, nor history, nor his actual specific situation. Whether him individually or the team, whether short term or long term or any term combined with him or the team - ALL combinations fail under a system involving three guards battling for time. I chose until now to mention the fact we're already doing this exact same thing at C because I'm kinda a prick. If Garza redshirted instead I make this same post only with Wagner and Pemsl. The most popular solution here is to start two and allow Baer to continue 6th man duties.

I repeat, reasonable, intelligent, and reasonably intelligent sports fans believe in keeping our BEST OVERALL PLAYER on the pine as a way out of the mess. As many paragraphs as it took to hit on every point I've seen made in this thread, at least none of them required me to dream up THAT precedent. Our Guard situation leveled itself out and keeps a great talent in-house a year longer. Great news. Also I'm suddenly extremely thrilled that our baseball program sucks annually.

Last edited:
Essentially all I said was don't worry about this, we'll be fine. Heck this probably HELPS.

If that's wrong side of the bed cranky then I'd HATE to see what you'd consider really aggressive.

Is it just me or is there a Trey Dickerson factor going on? He said he had no idea why Iowa recruited him in the first place. I assume this means that if he wasn't going to unseat Gesell or even Clemmons for his backup PG role, then what's the point? Please set aside all of the 3,628 things wrong with that statement for a moment and try to note the similarities.

There are none. Mike was at best average at face value, Anthony regressed SEVERELY from his freshman to sophomore year. Yet we still struggled to find minutes for a recruit that Wichita St and Arkansas went hard after. The guy we have now bested Gesell's best season in every reliable statistic average and matched Mike's entire CAREER for 3-pt baskets - all in his freshman season. The next guy draws favorable comparisons to Val Barnes. After that is Christian Williams, who has an intriguing argument to actually start over the latter player. After that is either MacCausland or Oglesby, depending on which one Ellingson chooses to mimic.

Two things: 1. Yes, I lied about the Gesell thing- he averaged more APG his Sr year than Bohannon did and made 5 more threes during his career, but it was close enough that most reading believed it. 2. I don't have to tell anyone our backcourt is crowded. But I'm trying to put it into context here. Not only does he have to leapfrog two gifted players only to become the backup *anything* guard, but all players in question have two years or more left. Could Connor have surpassed all 3 to start alongside Bohannon THIS YEAR? If so it means Moss not only failed to become Val Barnes,but even Rod Griffin was too much to ask Ellingson never becomes that 3-pt marksman, Williams remains stagnant. In other words, things that would kill our season if they came to a fruition.C-Mac or no C-Mac, we need some luck here. Perhaps beyond. Whatever folks making predictions for the 2018-2019 squad are drooling over they will have to X out a 2-guard and a sharpshooter.

All that, three paragraphs, still haven't even alluded to Mac's skill-set. For context, it's pretty bad when how good you are doesn't factor into your role. But that's where we stand. Connor's ability doesn't concern me nearly as much as Moss' ability or Ellingson's 3-point shooting ability. The sheer amount of misfortunes this team would have to endure before he can flash his game would cripple us. Even this year we lost 5 games to the likes of Omaha and Memphis during the transition from Williams to Bohannon. Whatever the speculation is, the best case scenario doesn't change the fact that one year of eligibility separates three fantastic guards.

Until now, that is. C-Mac is going to have to sit no matter what's going on ahead of him so it might as well be behind two established guards next year rather the alternative, being a hilarious game of musical chairs between them all this season that ends with...no standout 2-guard. We've had logjams before involving recruits and they tend to turn out like Duez-Worley-Thompson and Basabe-McCabe-Uthoff, One player out of *SIX* listed experienced any tangible success after this, and that was the five star transfer who entered the fray as a sophomore transfer. Even more hilarious, we ended both seasons without a SF, lol. Nobody developed, nobody benefited from the competition. Lose, Lose, Lose. Especially that 2001 team with Worley, right? Well, actually that was the last time we gave ANY nationally-ranked freshman significant PT and end with a tournament bid. Pierre was next, followed by Horner-Brunner, followed by Smith, then Gatens, then Gesell-Woody. He sits, we lose. He plays regularly, we lose.

Long story short, nothing upon nothing about this indicates bad news for Hawkeyes fans. Not logic, nor history, nor his actual specific situation. Whether him individually or the team, whether short term or long term or any term combined with him or the team - ALL combinations fail under a system involving three guards battling for time. I chose until now to mention the fact we're already doing this exact same thing at C because I'm kinda a prick. If Garza redshirted instead I make this same post only with Wagner and Pemsl. The most popular solution here is to start two and allow Baer to continue 6th man duties.

I repeat, reasonable, intelligent, and reasonably intelligent sports fans believe in keeping our BEST OVERALL PLAYER on the pine as a way out of the mess. As many paragraphs as it took to hit on every point I've seen made in this thread, at least none of them required me to dream up THAT precedent. Our Guard situation leveled itself out and keeps a great talent in-house a year longer. Great news. Also I'm suddenly extremely thrilled that our baseball program sucks annually.

What does the history lesson have anything to do with next season? Answer is, nothing. The Hawks are less of a team, all things being equal, without Connor, a 4 star rated 1 or 2 guard, then with him. To question that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Our highest rated guard, out of high school, isn't playing this year. I'm all about silver lining and go Connor, but, he was likely, at worst, the 3rd best guard we have. It's a cliff after JBo and Moss....it is what it is. Since I couldn't get my Trevon DuVal voodoo doll to work and have him walk on at Iowa out of the blue, I'll continue to ask Santa and Jesus for a little better recruiting success at the guard position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT