ADVERTISEMENT

Connor officially redshirting

Mark-Wahlberg-Shock-and-Confused-Look.gif

Reactions: CP84 and Ycusi
I'm actually not surprised since it has been suggested he might be interested in a) spending some time focusing on baseball and b) getting an extra year to play with his brother.

Reactions: Ronman
Sorry if already discussed but I assume he loses a year of college eligibility by playing baseball full-time even though he stated that under this plan he is "redshirting the first year for basketball"...... or not ... it wouldn't make sense to specifically mention a basketball redshirt unless he is able to retain the 4 year basketball scholarship.

Last edited:
Sorry if already discussed but I assume he looses a year of college eligibility by playing baseball full-time even though he stated that under this plan he is "redshirting the first year for basketball".

No, 5 to play 4. He'd be allowed to do the following...

FR - baseball, RS basketball
RS FR - both
RS So - both
RS Jr - both
RS Sr - basketball

It would be no different than a football player RS his Fr year, but still doing T&F. He'd lose his eligibility in T&F after his RS Jr year, but retain a year of football eligibility for his RS Sr year. The only affect it "might" have would be scholarship distribution, but CM won't be on scholarship for either for at least one year, so even that isn't a big deal. In the football example, he'd count against football all 5 years, even though he wasn't "technically" playing his Fr year.

Reactions: nu2u
If he takes off in baseball, I imagine he won't ever be putting on the basketball uniform. Kid is already a good baseball prospect without focusing full time on baseball.

That may be the plan. If he blows up in baseball, he may go that direction. Pretty talented kid to have the kind of option.

That may be the plan. If he blows up in baseball, he may go that direction. Pretty talented kid to have the kind of option.
He would have to make that decision after this summer though correct? Then he has to go to school for 3 years before being drafted again. So at minimum basketball should get him for 2 after his RS year.

Reactions: HeRKeYHoPeFuL
Yes I agree, happy for CM, but would have liked to see him on the court this winter.

He would have to make that decision after this summer though correct? Then he has to go to school for 3 years before being drafted again. So at minimum basketball should get him for 2 after his RS year.

This matches my understanding (having just recently read through MLB draft rules a couple weeks ago).

Dang it. I think Conner would have contributed on the court this year. But them's the breaks I guess.

I'm curious if the redshirt would stay on in the event of a Bohannon injury... would they pull the redshirt mid-season and try to RS again next year before Patrick arrives?

Reactions: ironmen39

If he attends classes at Iowa, he would have to wait until after his junior year to enter the MLB draft. All in all, this seems like a good option. He's going to give baseball a full-go for his first year and get a better indication as to what his ultimate ability might be there. He's been an impressive baseball player at West without ever not having basketball take up a big chunk of time.

If it looks like he has a future in baseball, he can focus on that. Still would have basketball and would be a year closer to his brother in classes.

Guys, This is Fran's decision too. I'd say that Fran doesn't think the team needs Conner for next season or that he would contribute enough to warrant burning a red shirt.
This is a great decision. So now, can you guys move on and quit trying to insert Connor into every scenario for next years basketball team.
The coach has spoken and I trust his talent evaluation.

Would be nice if Dailey would step up his game as well. He and Williams will be called on to provide more productive minutes next season.

Like DougHawk has said.......Fran has spoken and no doubt has thought of more scenarios than any of us could have. Good for Connor!!

Would be nice if Dailey would step up his game as well. He and Williams will be called on to provide more productive minutes next season.

I think Dailey is the answer to the PG question. Fran has to feel a certain level of comfort with what he has. And Maishe is the one with a sample size that we do not know enough about. But Fran does... Whoever we will rely on next year, I put my trust in Fran.

If he takes off in baseball, I imagine he won't ever be putting on the basketball uniform. Kid is already a good baseball prospect without focusing full time on baseball.

i still don't think this is the case (full time focus on baseball). from his statement, he says he is going to practice with both teams, so not focusing entirely on baseball.

is that how others are interpreting it? i think it has more to do with playing basketball with his brother longer, than it does on developing baseball skills. jmo

Seems like a very rational decision. If Iowa bb is decimated by injuries or something I suppose he could pull the redshirt this year.

Puts more pressure on getting some other ball handling options improved to take some of the load off Bohannon.
But, he's got to do what's right for him and who is going to know that better than his father who also happens to be his future coach.

i still don't think this is the case (full time focus on baseball). from his statement, he says he is going to practice with both teams, so not focusing entirely on baseball.

is that how others are interpreting it? i think it has more to do with playing basketball with his brother longer, than it does on developing baseball skills. jmo

Of course he'll practice with both teams but will put top priority into baseball. This isn't about playing with his brother. This is about baseball. There's no way the baseball coach would allow him to be part of the team and not put 100% into it. If Connor just wanted to play with his brother, all he has to do is redshirt and not play baseball and accomplish the same thing. There's no way Fran would allow him to "play around" on the baseball team. My guess is, Fran wants his kids to put everything into whatever they're doing.

I think Dailey is the answer to the PG question. Fran has to feel a certain level of comfort with what he has. And Maishe is the one with a sample size that we do not know enough about. But Fran does... Whoever we will rely on next year, I put my trust in Fran.

I believe that Daily has been quoted to the effect that he is not a pg. He didn't see any action last year, don't think that's really an option. I thought Ellingson was the answer last season but he didn't play any meaningful minutes at pg either. I think we are going in with the same 2 pg's as last year, hope it works.

One thing I rarely see mentioned... A redshirt would theoretically let Connor start 2 years at PG, rather than just 1 if he doesn't redshirt.

Of course, you know what happens with projections.

This decision allows him both to give his full shot at baseball, where he has a higher ceiling, and maximize his basketball playing time.

I believe that Daily has been quoted to the effect that he is not a pg. He didn't see any action last year, don't think that's really an option. I thought Ellingson was the answer last season but he didn't play any meaningful minutes at pg either. I think we are going in with the same 2 pg's as last year, hope it works.

He has said he could play the 1, 2 or 3. So, take that for what it is worth. Fran wanted him to redshirt so he could have another year, but he choose his own course. I think we have something in Maishe. That is my hunch...
Regardless, Fran has said we have more ball handlers and shooters than we ever have had. I think that is true and we will be fine.

He has said he could play the 1, 2 or 3. So, take that for what it is worth. Fran wanted him to redshirt so he could have another year, but he choose his own course. I think we have something in Maishe. That is my hunch...
Regardless, Fran has said we have more ball handlers and shooters than we ever have had. I think that is true and we will be fine.

I hope you're right. I am always a little skeptical of things that didn't play themselves out the year before. I was wrong about Woody his final year, thought he would be a foul machine but he proved me wrong. I hope Fran is correct about the ball handlers and shooters, we are going to need them.

Good thoughts. I was initially disappointed, but then I'm the dolt who thinks redshirting Happ might have cost Wisconsin a national championship.

If Fran thinks we're going to be fine at the guard spots...the move starts to make more sense to me. Besides which, I'm still not ready to give up on Williams. Clemmons had a tough sophomore year, so did Basabe. Maybe Christian still has a few surprises in store for us.

Maishe Dailey was #13 last year for a reason. To count on him for close to major minutes this year seems premature. He may contribute and he may not. Moss and Williams are the guys that really need to step up this year as well as Brady.

Nothing bad about this at all...though I do believe this was known a long time prior and why we didn't see any xfrs.

Does this mean there's an open scholarship for next season?
Of course not. We had only one scholly. It went to either Garza or Nunge, and the other would get Jones scholly. There would only have been an opening if someone else left and Connor still went this route.
Time to see what Mr. Dailey has to offer!

Fran, like any good father, told Connor to do what he wanted. Together they worked out the best possible situation so Connor could test himself in baseball and keep his basketball career moving forward at the same time. No matter how it all turns out, Connor knows his dad gave him the freedom to make his own path. It's one of the most admirable things Fran has ever done, IMHO.

Aristotle, can you enlighten the rest of us about all the other admirable things Fran has done. You seem to be pretty close to the family. Thanks.

Next step is to bring in Don Nelson as a consultant for the point forward offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT