ADVERTISEMENT

Convicted felon and known gang member murders Omaha police officer

She (the cop) was just back from maternity leave; the premature baby was supposed to go home tomorrow. My dad worked with her dad; her mom works at our credit union.

The felon is dead too.

CFerAyzUEAATaPO.jpg

Seven-year veteran officer Kerrie Orozco, 29, died after being shot in the line of duty, Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer announced Wednesday.

Authorities said the suspect, identified as gang member Marcus D. Wheeler, also died from his injuries.

Marcus was wanted in connection with a shooting last fall.

She (the cop) was just back from maternity leave; the premature baby was supposed to go home tomorrow. My dad worked with her dad; her mom works at our credit union.

The felon is dead too.

She died trying to take the trash off the street. Yes, officer Orozco was expecting to bring her premature baby home from the hospital tomorrow.

What a sad thing to happen to the officer.

Last edited:
Honestly? Whether she is a police officer or not, doesn't matter much to me, other than it being in the line of duty. It is a tragedy, an absolute tragedy.

Yes I agree it is a tragedy the officer died.

See, that is the important distinction for you...that an officer died.

You said she died taking trash off of the street. If she had died literally doing so, as a sanitation worker, it would be just as much as a tragedy. At least to me, it is sad that it wouldn't to you.

See, that is the important distinction for you...that an officer died.

You said she died taking trash off of the street. If she had died literally doing so, as a sanitation worker, it would be just as much as a tragedy. At least to me, it is sad that it wouldn't to you.
Yes I would be saddened by a sanitation worker being killed in the line of duty, so come out with it what is your point?

Kerrie Orozco, 29, a gang unit officer, was serving a warrant on the Metro Fugitive Task Force when she was shot.

Orozco is the 25th officer – and first female – in the department killed in the line of duty. Orozco had been taken to Creighton University Medical Center in extremely critical condition after being shot about 1 p.m. near Read Street and Martin Avenue.

555d0f352b14c.image.jpg

a press conference at Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said, "This is a somber day for the city of Omaha, Omaha police officers especially, and the entire law enforcement community." He said Orozco was a seven-year veteran of the department and had worked in the gang unit since March 2012.

Orozco, he said, was "a tremendous officer and an even better person." She had coached baseball since 2009 at the North Omaha Boys and Girls Club, volunteered with the Special Olympics, took in rescue dogs, mentored Girl Scouts and frequently spoke at Girls Inc. "She was a friend, popular officer, top-notch person and I just can't imagine that this has even happened." Orozco, he said, was "a top-notch individual, and the city of Omaha owes her a debt of gratitude and her family like no other."

Orozco was sworn in as an Omaha police officer in May 2008 in a class of 36. The former Kerrie Holtz married Hector Orozco Lopez in April 2011.

Kerrie Orozco had two stepchildren, 8-year-old Natalia and a stepson, Santiago, who is 6. Kerrie had a newborn baby who was born Feb. 17, Olivia Ruth. She was set to be released Thursday from the intensive care unit at the Nebraska Medical Center.

Kerrie Orozco was the daughter of Ellen and the late Kevin Holtz of Walnut, Iowa. Kerrie attended Walnut High School, where she played basketball and volleyball.

In a statement, Mayor Jean Stothert, who was out of town, said: "Officer Orozco gave her life for all of us. ... She will be remembered and missed as a loving wife, mother, officer."

Schmaderer said he didn't think the shooting would strain the relationship between the police and community members.

"We're the protector for the community. We are the community," the chief said. "That's why I don't feel that this will cause any negative police-community relations. I think you'll see the city of Omaha band together ... and support the Omaha Police Department and certainly support Officer Orozco for her sacrifice in what is taking place."

Last edited:
When do the protests start? What about the riots and how long until the media outrage? Why is it only when a career drug dealing, waste of a human being, dies in police custody is there mass histeria driven by the left?
Yet when a mother serving her community in so many ways is killed by the exact same type of career criminal, most barely bat an eye. Politics... one helluva drug.

When do the protests start? What about the riots and how long until the media outrage? Why is it only when a career drug dealing, waste of a human being, dies in police custody is there mass histeria driven by the left?
Yet when a mother serving her community in so many ways is killed by the exact same type of career criminal, most barely bat an eye. Politics... one helluva drug.

Marcus was a real piece of work.

Police: Man wanted in September shooting killed in shootout

Wheeler, who was wanted in a September shooting, was the suspect shot and killed Wednesday in a shootout with the Metro Area Task Force, law enforcement officials said.

Police had been unable to find Wheeler for months and told the public last year to consider Wheeler armed and dangerous.

Omaha police had been seeking Wheeler in connection with the Sept. 5 shooting of Antonio Martin near 60th Street and Curtis Avenue.

Martin told police Wheeler had threatened him on Facebook several days before he shot him, according to Douglas County Court documents.

Wheeler had also been charged in connection to two earlier shootings, but the charges were later dropped, according to court records.

In 2013, Wheeler was charged as an accessory to a June 2007 murder. Wheeler was also accused of shooting at an inhabited home in March 2013, attempting to cause serious bodily injury to Ashley Bordeaux. The Douglas County attorney dismissed charges in both cases.

In 2008, Wheeler was sentenced to five years in federal prison for possession with intent to distribute cocaine. Wheeler got out on supervised release, but that was revoked in 2013. He return to prison and was released in February 2014.

On Wednesday, police handcuffed a woman at the shooting scene and took her into custody for questioning.

At the scene, Anthony Williams identified the woman as his daughter, Erica Coppage, 24. She recently moved into a house on Martin Avenue, he said. Wheeler and Coppage had a child in 2009, court records show.

Coppage appeared distraught in her front yard and occasionally let out tearful screams as police talked to her.

Williams paced outside the crime tape and was agitated that he couldn’t be with his daughter. He said his family is worried about Coppage and her children’s safety, but police wouldn’t let him or his family members go into Coppage’s home.

I'm sure she provoked him.

Clearly you did. Two things that are not comparable, yet you compare them by saying they both involve the "same type of career criminal."
No, that just happens to be a fact in both cases.
You're ignoring the point like much of society is ignoring the epidemic of killings like this, of truly innocent people. Murders like this happen exponentially more often than unjustified shootings of blacks by cops, yet the left would rather focus on the rare instances when a human pos like Mike Brown decides to assault and charge a cop and ends up dead, bc it furthers a political advantage. And it's disgusting.

No, that just happens to be a fact in both cases.
You're ignoring the point like much of society is ignoring the epidemic of killings like this, of truly innocent people. Murders like this happen exponentially more often than unjustified shootings of blacks by cops, yet the left would rather focus on the rare instances when a human pos like Mike Brown decides to assault and charge a cop and ends up dead, bc it furthers a political advantage. And it's disgusting.

Murders of police officers happen "exponentially more"? Excellent time to post your statistics.

Also, you are the one bringing up the comparison, which is what is disgusting. Again, this is a tragedy, good job trying to politically exploit it....to complain about political exploitation.

Edit to add: I know he won't post statistics backing up his hyperbole, so I thought I'd waste a few minutes. Per Officer Down Memorial: 47 officers killed in non-accidental gunfire in 2014. If that is exponentially more, wonder what the rate of death while in police custody (your first comparison), or death by ....... oh wait, you can qualify it by "unjustified", and allow the justification to be by the agency itself.

There are a lot of black men that need to be put in a concentration camp. If they are not productive citizens that is where they need to be. No job equals concentration camp

There are a lot of black men that need to be put in a concentration camp. If they are not productive citizens that is where they need to be. No job equals concentration camp
I don't have a job. Point me to this concentration camp, please. Wait, I'm white. Nevermind, I'm good.

If putting up and laughing at unflattering photos, especially of those people that we shouldn't do it about publicly, is now off-limits on HROT....what the hell are we still doing here?

If putting up and laughing at unflattering photos, especially of those people that we shouldn't do it about publicly, is now off-limits on HROT....what the hell are we still doing here?
Other examples where we've laughed at pictures of dead innocent people?

Keep letting the diversity in north O breed. We need a plague
Brotha Clarinda, if this plague that you so wished was brought upon by our lord, and it affected you and your family as well, would you still wish this plague upon the world, or would you prefer it only affect those different from yourself?

Brotha Clarinda, if this plague that you so wished was brought upon by our lord, and it affected you and your family as well, would you still wish this plague upon the world, or would you prefer it only affect those different from yourself?
Different is fine, diverse is fine....trash is trash though. I'm good with some of all races being taken out. Regardless of color if skin, the type of activity, culture, and people who act that way......basically do nothing for the good of society, in fact damage society.

Reactions: HRiscool
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT