ADVERTISEMENT

Convince Me that Brian Ferentz isn’t the Problem…

Who’s saying that? The Iowa offensive woes have been discussed ad nauseam on here and by national pundits. Obviously, it’s a point of interest.
I get that. This is not a great offense but everyone oveeracts to everything. The QB sucks, the oline sucks, fire the offensive coordinator.... Your first post after Iowa dominates a 9th straight opponent with probably their best offensive showing this year is to bitch about Brian's offense. This offense can and will do more but right now the defense and special teams are running things. Everyone downplays the significance of zero interceptions. Iowa won their first 2 games this year primarily because of better ball security than their opponents. Petras has turned the ball over 2 times in the last 9 games and zero times in the last 5. Combine that with dominant defense and that's called winning football.

Maybe the worst call I’ve seen in the last 5 years …that was horrible . He never lost the ball ! Ever . Even if bobbled the ball never touched the ground . Terrible terrible call
There was an angle that clearly showed the ball floating above his body as he was on his back. What it didn't show, however, was whether the ground knocked the football out of his hands or whether he just bobbled it.

We were 6-2 last year and ranked 5th this year ad hin being offensive coordinator. Thank God he is with us

• Haha
Reactions: Ignored
There was an angle that clearly showed the ball floating above his body as he was on his back. What it didn't show, however, was whether the ground knocked the football out of his hands or whether he just bobbled it.
Well then u go with the call on the field correct!?! It was a called a catch . Blown big time by that crew!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
212 passing and just under 70% completion with a couple drops. 206 rushing and 418 total yards. That's not too bad. Anxious to see how Kent State does next week against Maryland. We did get beat deep twice on defense too so they didn't bring their "A" game for the entire game either.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
We’re not beating Penn State or Wisconsin with an offense stuck in neutral.

Kent State is a decent G5 team and the end results weren’t terrible. Obviously 30 points doesn’t scream “We Want Bama” but we scored four offensive touchdowns and I have seen visible progress both running and passing. I think we need to remain patient.
Better, yes. But still a long way from "good". We have one more week to get it rolling. Things get real starting @Maryland

3-0 soon to be 4-0, #5 in the country.

Convince Me that I'm not the Problem…​

FIFY

Well then u go with the. All on the field correct!?! It was a called a catch . Blown big time by that crew!!
Agreed, but I just want to clear it up for folks that it wasn't "clearly" a catch (if you agree with their "hadn't completed the process call") -- it should have been called "stands" regardless of what was called on the field.
OFoTirR.png

This offense is a problem if we’re wanting to win our division.
i can’t say for sure that you are wrong. there is a chance the o lets us down but i’m still happy with bf in that he comes into games with a wider variety of gameplans than many reputable ocs. the offense we see against psu or wi will have some differences from what we’ve shown. again doesn’t mean we will definitely win but he is the oc that inspires most confidence in me compared to all past ocs ive seen at iowa.

I get that. This is not a great offense but everyone oveeracts to everything. The QB sucks, the oline sucks, fire the offensive coordinator.... Your first post after Iowa dominates a 9th straight opponent with probably their best offensive showing this year is to bitch about Brian's offense. This offense can and will do more but right now the defense and special teams are running things. Everyone downplays the significance of zero interceptions. Iowa won their first 2 games this year primarily because of better ball security than their opponents. Petras has turned the ball over 2 times in the last 9 games and zero times in the last 5. Combine that with dominant defense and that's called winning football.
I like these points, especially the part of Petras not throwing picks.

i can’t say for sure that you are wrong. there is a chance the o lets us down but i’m still happy with bf in that he comes into games with a wider variety of gameplans than many reputable ocs. the offense we see against psu or wi will have some differences from what we’ve shown. again doesn’t mean we will definitely win but he is the oc that inspires most confidence in me compared to all past ocs ive seen at iowa.
Waaaaaaay too many lateral passes (especially on 3rd and long) and runs to the short side.

It’s almost unbelievable how often we pass to the flat.

3-0 soon to be 4-0, #5 in the country.

Convince Me that I'm not the Problem…​

FIFY
This is all well and good until Iowa loses a game and the usual suspects come unglued. Which always happens.

Why can’t we have these caliber of discussions after a win? That’s usually the best time IMO.

Look, the offense has been much maligned after every win so far this season. Why not broaden the discussion beyond quarterback play?

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Big 10 looks very good this year but no super team. Incidently Nebraska looked excellent today. They missed 2 short field goals and had an extra point blocked that Ok. ran back for 2points.

Agreed, but I just want to clear it up for folks that it wasn't "clearly" a catch (if you agree with their "hadn't completed the process call") -- it should have been called "stands" regardless of what was called on the field.
OFoTirR.png
The ball never touched the ground though. It doesn’t matter. Completing the process of the catch only matters if you fumble or go out of bounds. As the announcers said, the booth was conflating two different things.

I’d have to rewatch it, but the only thing that would make sense is, they thought the ball was still being bobbled while he was rolling over and the leg touched out, but watching the replays live, that didn’t appear to be the case.

When I see the fantastic success the Hawkeye's are having and think back to Nebraska fans unhappy winning 8-9 games a season and bitching and complaining and firing coaches yearly I think....yeah I'll take our offence imperfections all the way to the bank.

When I see the fantastic success the Hawkeye's are having and think back to Nebraska fans unhappy winning 8-9 games a season and bitching and complaining and firing coaches yearly I think....yeah I'll take our offence imperfections all the way to the bank.
Dude, no one is calling for anyone to get fired. Just stop.

The ball never touched the ground though. It doesn’t matter. Completing the process of the catch only matters if you fumble or go out of bounds. As the announcers said, the booth was conflating two different things.

I’d have to rewatch it, but the only thing that would make sense is, they thought the ball was still being bobbled while he was rolling over and the leg touched out, but watching the replays live, that didn’t appear to be the case.
I thought there was one view where for a split second, he wasn't covering the ball up and it might have hit the ground. Only saw that one view though, and it probably shouldn't have been enough to downgrade the call from "confirmed" to "stands" - much less overturn it entirely.

I was surprised at how that review didn't seem to take much time, nor did they take much time to talk over the "false start" where the O wasn't even set.

Petras is his starting QB
Push for the better guy. Or if there isn't one, successfully evaluate, recruit, and a develop a better one. Brian is a coordinator and second in command, he's not just a positional coach. He has had that job long enough that both Ferentz's own this.

Petras isn't garbage, but he's not a starter on a traditional top 10 team.

All well and good until the other shoe drops, and lack of offensive production blows up in the team's faces.

I fear for what defenses like Wisconsin and PSU may do to the offense.

And lose the apostrophe.

Also, it’s offense. Not offence. 🙄

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT