ADVERTISEMENT

Convince Me that Brian Ferentz isn’t the Problem…

We’re not beating Penn State or Wisconsin with an offense stuck in neutral.

Kent State is a decent G5 team and the end results weren’t terrible. Obviously 30 points doesn’t scream “We Want Bama” but we scored four offensive touchdowns and I have seen visible progress both running and passing. I think we need to remain patient.
If you want to talk about a below average QB that would be Mertz. Iowa is going to roll Wisconsin on the road. WTF are you people watching?

I watch a lot of football and I think Brian does an ok job.
Their guy is supposed to be a hot commodity and besides a couple big plays their offense wasn’t overwhelming.
Its more about the Joe’s,,,,we don’t have receivers that seperate.

With that said, I am not an expert but I don’t know how sound our passing scheme is..I would assume with Brian being around New England as long has he has they have some solid concepts.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I watch a lot of football and I think Brian does an ok job.
Their guy is supposed to be a hot commodity and besides a couple big plays their offense wasn’t overwhelming.
Its more about the Joe’s,,,,we don’t have receivers that seperate.

With that said, I am not an expert but I don’t know how sound our passing scheme is..I would assume with Brian being around New England as long has he has they have some solid concepts.
Good post. I think receivers not getting separation is indeed problematic.

Big 10 looks very good this year but no super team. Incidently Nebraska looked excellent today. They missed 2 short field goals and had an extra point blocked that Ok. ran back for 2points.
I wouldn’t reward too much into it . We didn’t exactly come away thinking any different about Nebby. I did come away with ALOT less impression of OU. They stunk today . They play like that against Clown U and they’ll get beat down

Reactions: EagleHawk
Maybe the worst call I’ve seen in the last 5 years …that was horrible . He never lost the ball ! Ever . Even if bobbled the ball never touched the ground . Terrible terrible call
I couldn't believe it was reviewed in the first place. How did they over rule the call on the field. Replay is worthless when you have morons running it.

Push for the better guy. Or if there isn't one, successfully evaluate, recruit, and a develop a better one. Brian is a coordinator and second in command, he's not just a positional coach. He has had that job long enough that both Ferentz's own this.

Petras isn't garbage, but he's not a starter on a traditional top 10 team.
Petras problem is he isn’t consistent but he does have an arm. Misses too many wide open throws. With that said he had several drops every game. He actually threw some very good balls today too. My complaint in the first games was not getting outside the box to throw the ball away, especially when in field goal range. He’s getting better but side doesn’t go through progressions well. Lock on to one receiver too much.

Petras problem is he isn’t consistent but he does have an arm. Misses too many wide open throws. With that said he had several drops every game. He actually threw some very good balls today too. My complaint in the first games was not getting outside the box to throw the ball away, especially when in field goal range. He’s getting better but side doesn’t go through progressions well. Lock on to one receiver too much.
I don't remember him taking any sacks today, either. So that's improvement I guess. I just have a feeling he'd be more comfortable in an uptempo system built around quick-release passes on short routes to smaller guys with good speed, rather than a pro system where routes are often slow to develop and he has too much time to overthink things.

Rewatching the first half and I can't really fault anything other than Riley blowing his coverage twice. I was surprised at how efficient and effective we were. I can't blame anyone other than Riley blowing coverage twice and IKM fumbling twice. And I'm pretty harsh and critical. Haven't watched the second half yet but I give the first half a solid B.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Does Iowa have the shortest wr corps in the B1G? If they had multiple Tyreek Hills on the team that would be completely different. But it seems like they are a lot of slot receiver type guys.
I think the absence of a solid 6'2"+ guy to throw fades, jump balls and go over the top of a corner is a big hole in the offensive arsenal.

I had mixed emotions about the offense today.
The good:
* o-line showed some good push and opened up some massive lanes at times, would like to see more of that and think they will as the line continues to gel.
*Petras decent completion percentage and 0 interceptions against the team that was leading the country in INTs
*Arland Bruce & K. Johnson got some playing time early in the game, was kinda surprised how soon they got in given the game was not at all in hand, but shows me coaches are willing to go to the bench to find a spark
*T. Goodson broke out and we were able to get our backup RBs in for some meaningful snaps.

The Bad:
*lots of screen passes & swing passes - would love to see more bunch packages and crossing routes. Just seems like we run a lot of shallow underneath rather than stretching the field.
*was Lachey hurt? Didn’t see him in at all today. Really think we could utilize our TEs to stretch the field if our WRs can’t
*Fake punt…WTF was that? The 4th down, Goodson was visibly unhappy and B Ferentz didn’t appear pleased when Petras went to the sideline, curious if a play should have been run based on how the defense lined up?
I try to be an optimist though and will say we took a step forward and not back today, just was hoping for more. Next week we should see an even bigger step forward as CSU is not good

Reactions: yrunvs
Does Iowa have the shortest wr corps in the B1G? If they had multiple Tyreek Hills on the team that would be completely different. But it seems like they are a lot of slot receiver type guys.
I think the absence of a solid 6'2"+ guy to throw fades, jump balls and go over the top of a corner is a big hole in the offensive arsenal.
Slots who are small and not even particularly fast, in my opinion. Another positive we can take away from today is that Kent State was able to keep LaPorta quiet but we didn't need him to put points on the board.

LaPorta had 7 catches for 65 yards and a touchdown.
Wow, I was way off. 🤣 I guess it was just my sense that Petras wasn't quite as locked on LaPorta as he has been in past games. The willingness and ability to get more WRs and even RBs involved in the passing game today was a good sign.

• Haha
Reactions: sob5 and SDHawkDoc
Look at Iowa's scoring O last year ... it was quite efficient. However, it also benefited from having a bunch of veterans on the OL (Linderbaum, Jackson, Kallenberger, Banwart, and Schott) ... it had experienced guys at TE (LaPorta and Beyer) ... and experienced SRs at WR (in ISM and Smith). On top of that ... we also had an awesome RB duo in Goodson and Sargent.

With those ingredients ... once Brian made adjustments ... we ended up seeing Petras help the squad score points ... and the Hawks rattled off 6-straight wins.

Last year, if you look back at some of the plays ... short-yardage passes would often spring for much more yardage because of the quality of blocking ... and I'm not just talking about the blocking by the OL. I'm talking about how the blocking of guys like Beyer and Smith were helping to spring longer runs ... or more yardage after catch by the other WRs.

As we look to the current season ... notice one of the quick passes (in the 2nd half, I believe) ... where Charlie Jones blew his block ... and a quick pass to the outside that likely SHOULD HAVE resulted in a 1st down instead went for no-yardage! This is a microcosm of the hidden-yardage that is currently being missed in Iowa's offense. These are areas that guys need to improve upon if we ultimately hope to be a better ball-club on offense.

Anyhow, previously the Hawks had largely benefitted from short fields to tally its prior 20 offensive points per game ... averaging just 2 offensive TDs per game thru the first 2 games. Against Kent State ... obviously not a defensive juggernaut ... but certainly an opportunistic D ... the Hawks managed some long-sustained drives and managed to score 4 TDs on O.

I call that progress.

Do we need to improve more? Hell yeah!
Would it be preferable if we improved at a faster rate? Sure.
But aren't we still winning? Oh yeah ... we are, though the belly-aching of some fans almost makes it sound like we're not.

Lol, being too stupid to follow a football game or read a box score doesn’t absolve someone for a stupid take.

What was your last screen name here?
Uh huh. Can't say anything positive unless it's all 100% correct. That about right?

What was yours?

I'm not going to reach any conclusions after a win against a decent Kent State team, but ...

The OC is responsible for the offense, not just play calling. He is responsible for recruiting, strategy, game planning, line blocking, running back development, wide receiver routes, coaching the coaches and ..... play calling.

It seems like it has been forever since Iowa had an offense that made other teams worry. Sure, there is the USC game and some other examples of explosiveness, but usually it is pretty pedestrian, even when it's working ok.

They say defense wins championships, but I think that assumes the offense isn't last in the conference.

The O needs to pick it up if this team want to go somewhere special this year.

Look at Iowa's scoring O last year ... it was quite efficient. However, it also benefited from having a bunch of veterans on the OL (Linderbaum, Jackson, Kallenberger, Banwart, and Schott) ... it had experienced guys at TE (LaPorta and Beyer) ... and experienced SRs at WR (in ISM and Smith). On top of that ... we also had an awesome RB duo in Goodson and Sargent.

With those ingredients ... once Brian made adjustments ... we ended up seeing Petras help the squad score points ... and the Hawks rattled off 6-straight wins.

Last year, if you look back at some of the plays ... short-yardage passes would often spring for much more yardage because of the quality of blocking ... and I'm not just talking about the blocking by the OL. I'm talking about how the blocking of guys like Beyer and Smith were helping to spring longer runs ... or more yardage after catch by the other WRs.

As we look to the current season ... notice one of the quick passes (in the 2nd half, I believe) ... where Charlie Jones blew his block ... and a quick pass to the outside that likely SHOULD HAVE resulted in a 1st down instead went for no-yardage! This is a microcosm of the hidden-yardage that is currently being missed in Iowa's offense. These are areas that guys need to improve upon if we ultimately hope to be a better ball-club on offense.

Anyhow, previously the Hawks had largely benefitted from short fields to tally its prior 20 offensive points per game ... averaging just 2 offensive TDs per game thru the first 2 games. Against Kent State ... obviously not a defensive juggernaut ... but certainly an opportunistic D ... the Hawks managed some long-sustained drives and managed to score 4 TDs on O.

I call that progress.

Do we need to improve more? Hell yeah!
Would it be preferable if we improved at a faster rate? Sure.
But aren't we still winning? Oh yeah ... we are, though the belly-aching of some fans almost makes it sound like we're not.
Great assessment!

Reactions: hawkandroll
Uh huh. Can't say anything positive unless it's all 100% correct. That about right?

What was yours?
If you’re going to offer up hot takes it might be worth the effort to make sure they’re not laughingly stupid. Watching the game helps a lot. I’d try that next time.

My handle hasn’t changed. You going to answer it now?

If you’re going to offer up hot takes it might be worth the effort to make sure they’re not laughingly stupid. Watching the game helps a lot. I’d try that next time.

My handle hasn’t changed. You going to answer it now?
Watched the game, my memory was mistaken. So glad you're here to keep me in check. I eagerly await you swooping in to correct when another superfan says some dumb shit.

Before this handle I hadn't posted here in about 10 years. I don't believe for a minute you've only been here since 2016, unless you were in middle school or something then.

What was Goff doing at this point? That's the important comparison, you know since we all want a NFL qb to roll through someday.

Watched the game, my memory was mistaken. So glad you're here to keep me in check. I eagerly await you swooping in to correct when another superfan says some dumb shit.

Before this handle I hadn't posted here in about 10 years. I don't believe for a minute you've only been here since 2016, unless you were in middle school or something then.
jim-carrey.gif

Man I love this gif. So versatile.

Reactions: sob5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT