ADVERTISEMENT

Convince Me that Brian Ferentz isn’t the Problem…

They're both the problem. Dump off after dump off after dump off. Then finally go to play action with 4 minutes left.
“Dump offs” are preferable to sacks and interceptions. The offense is not served well by its outside receivers. Petra’s is doing exactly what KF wants him to do.
I do believe Kent State has exposed a weakness in the Iowa secondary...and their “up tempo” had Iowa on its heels a few times. Iowa will play teams more skilled offensively than Kent ST .

Some people are just miserable sum bitches.
Lol, I’m not the one bitching about the offense after a 23 point win with a top 5 ranked team. I just love listening to the dumbassss on here bitch about things they have no idea about. Hell, some posters can watch a game here and forgot who led the team in catches, yards, and touchdowns. It’s laughable, but pretty good entertainment.

I’m guessing 95% of the posters here didn’t play past middle school or were academic all conference back in ‘98 for a 1A team in western Iowa and think that makes them think they know what they’re talking about.

Reactions: sob5
Lol, I’m not the one bitching about the offense after a 23 point win with a top 5 ranked team. I just love listening to the dumbassss on here bitch about things they have no idea about. Hell, some posters can watch a game here and forgot who led the team in catches, yards, and touchdowns. It’s laughable, but pretty good entertainment.

I’m guessing 95% of the posters here didn’t play past middle school or were academic all conference back in ‘98 for a 1A team in western Iowa and think that makes them think they know what they’re talking about.
How am I bitching?

And, well, yeah, it’s a message board. You don’t need to take it so seriously. You’re coming across as an arrogant, know-it-all douche, and frankly your opinions aren’t much better than the average fan’s here.

Reactions: Ignored
I would encourage you all to not overthink this one. Iowa is 3-0, a Top 5 team and we still don’t know whether or not Spencer Petras is the man.

That gives you much to think about. But also consider how imperfect this team is on paper and realize it’s the MOST Kirk Ferentz-esque team in the Kirk Ferentz era. Just enjoy it.

Nebraska looked excellent today. They missed 2 short field goals and had an extra point blocked that Ok. ran back for 2points.
They scored 16 on a Big XII defense. They’re .500 with a loss to Illinois. At no point today did they look “excellent.” My god man, get a grip.

Nebraska is the unwiped asshole of the Big Ten.

The O line was already young and then have to adjust to a new position coach. They've been rocky and that's been the biggest single problem this season. Petras throws better when he was time, and he's looking a lot better today (watching replay) than when the line was giving him an average of 2.6 seconds per throw.

Better line play and less IKM will make the offense much better and look much better.

I like to wait until members of the team actually play bad before complaining. Stanley at PSU a couple years ago would be an example.

I agree with others that the line is still trying to get some things figured out. They were starting to move people around yesterday and getting 4-5-6 yard chunks which was a welcome sight after the first few games. Hopefully once Schott is full-go things will continue to develop.

To OP's point, one thing BF will do that drives me nuts is call stretch plays to the short side of the field. Goodson clearly has big play ability if he can get out in space, so I'm not sure why we run plays where space is limited.

As for Petras, I don't think his ceiling is incredibly high, but at least his floor is going up. I'm as frustrated as anyone that he'll short hop a ball on a timing route or put the ball where the receiver can't do much with it, but to date he's not turning it over. When you have a weapon like Taylor and our defense, we don't need him to put up gaudy numbers. But it would be cool as hell if he did.

All in all, it's hard to be mad at 3-0 while still trying to figure things out and 2 wins over ranked teams in our pocket. I'll finish off with giving props to Terry Roberts. Normally a great special team guy, but showed out on defense and showed he belonged.

Tl;Dr - go hawks

I agree with others that the line is still trying to get some things figured out. They were starting to move people around yesterday and getting 4-5-6 yard chunks which was a welcome sight after the first few games. Hopefully once Schott is full-go things will continue to develop.

To OP's point, one thing BF will do that drives me nuts is call stretch plays to the short side of the field. Goodson clearly has big play ability if he can get out in space, so I'm not sure why we run plays where space is limited.

As for Petras, I don't think his ceiling is incredibly high, but at least his floor is going up. I'm as frustrated as anyone that he'll short hop a ball on a timing route or put the ball where the receiver can't do much with it, but to date he's not turning it over. When you have a weapon like Taylor and our defense, we don't need him to put up gaudy numbers. But it would be cool as hell if he did.

All in all, it's hard to be mad at 3-0 while still trying to figure things out and 2 wins over ranked teams in our pocket. I'll finish off with giving props to Terry Roberts. Normally a great special team guy, but showed out on defense and showed he belonged.

Tl;Dr - go hawks
Great post!

Reactions: The Governator
Big 10 looks very good this year but no super team. Incidently Nebraska looked excellent today. They missed 2 short field goals and had an extra point blocked that Ok. ran back for 2points.
One was from 50 yards?

Happy with W had feeling Iowa would come out little sluggish. Still I think it is warranted for fans to have some concerns with the O especially the passing game. First 2 weeks we played some tough Ds. I hate ISU but their DC is great and they are a veteran team with some talent on that side of the ball. So I get after getting the leads we played the "don't screw it up and give them a chance to get back in it" offensive game plan with conservative 2nd halves. To me today seemed like BF almost trying to force the passing game a bit much to get Petras some confidence. 20+ passes in first half seemed a bit high. Felt like with Kent St D would be a team where we run it down their throat early and often then get them through the air later. Their TD and IKM fumble maybe didn't help with that idea.

Things I have some questions about were lack of targets to WR down field and lot of short throws mainly to the sidelines, we weren't attacking the middle of the field and lot of check downs. Was Petras going to check down too early? Seemed like unlike first 2 weeks Petras had more time to throw. Not sure if it was way Kent St D was being played? Or as others alluded to maybe there was no separation? I don't know but things that I'm curious about with how the O played today. Maybe the loss of ISM and Brandon are playing larger then we thought. I for one thought Tracy could take on that deep threat role that ISM played. Or is Petras just playing little too conservative because that is what BF and KOK are engraving into his head. I was hoping to see him let some throws rip earlier in the game until the last drive. Because to play devils advocate after last week when clown fans were playing the "look at the total yards" card I'd say look at all the garbage yards they got at the end. If you take out the last TD drive Petras only had 140-50 yards (20-30 in 2nd half) until the last 5 min of the game until he threw for 60+. However they were 2 of his best throws all day to Tracy and Ragini which wish would've come earlier. Think this team will win a lot of games but especially the 2 big ones (WI and PSU) against great Ds we will need more from the O to do so. Still have time to figure it out. But to answer question of the thread I don't always think BF puts Petras and the offense in the best spot with his play calls being sometimes bit too conservative and predictable and feel criticism he receives is warranted.

because you know zero about coaching football or even much about how things go
🙄

Okay, moron. Thanks for stopping by. Great post. Yeah, I know nothing. And I’m sure you’re the font of genius when it comes to football. You and BBHawk are two peas in a pod.

Yawn and ignore. Buh bye, douche.

What was Goff doing at this point? That's the important comparison, you know since we all want a NFL qb to roll through someday.
Goff started at Cal for 3 seasons before jumping pro. I believe Cal was 14-23 during his tenure, including 1-11 his freshman year.

• The counter TD run by Goodson was a great call
  • There was a good mix on the 20-play, 95 yd drive
  • Play to your strengths, or to avoid your weaknesses. The O-line struggles with protections on longer pass plays, which was the reason for more dump offs. And there was some good YAC on some of those dump offs.
There is nothing wrong with the play-caling. The drives today were stalled due to poor execution and the fumble turnover.

• Play to your strengths, or to avoid your weaknesses. The O-line struggles with protections on longer pass plays, which was the reason for more dump offs. And there was some good YAC on some of those dump offs.
There is nothing wrong with the play-caling. The drives today were stalled due to poor execution and the fumble turnover.
Good post. I mostly agree.

Oh, and we had the # 2 offense in the Big Ten just last season. For Christ’s sake.

I don't remember getting to Indy last year. I do remember another loss to NW and miserable offense.

I think BF has been big help on recruiting and getting KF to take a more modern approach. I don't think
BF has proven himself as a play caller/offensive strategist and the OL/run game has really been spotty during the years he's been back at Iowa, first as OL coach on to Offensive coordinator.. THis despite KF/BF "strength" is supposedly OL coaching. The lawsuit against Iowa is also not a great look for BF.

Phil Parker on the other hand has proven himself to be outstanding and really the key coach.

I think that we could have a more wide open style offense but everything in Brian's experience goes the other way. When I get upset and yell at the TV I try and remember Greg Davis. Nice guy but that was a painful time. Even his time at the patriots was about shorter passes. Tom Brady averages about 2.7 seconds per throw. I think he us still improving as is our offense. I really think in 3 weeks that we'll be impressed with how far our o has come. If I'm wrong I'm willing to put a bet with anyone that we win over Penn state. I'd even shave my beard if I'm wrong. That's how confident I am. I have info that makes me confident and I'm sure I'm going to be proven right. I could list a bunch of stuff but I don't want to type anymore.

Tl;Dr - go hawks

The short side run has always been a staple of Ferentz ball. The theory is Iowa will overload that part of the field, properly execute the blocks and either get the corner or the cut back to an open field. That's one of those things that looks great when it works but it does require a high level of execution by everyone involved.

Reactions: WadeWilson
The short side run has always been a staple of Ferentz ball. The theory is Iowa will overload that part of the field, properly execute the blocks and either get the corner or the cut back to an open field. That's one of those things that looks great when it works but it does require a high level of execution by everyone involved.
I agree. It is beautiful when it works and I think with our right guard back we may be getting better faster than most expect.

The short side runs are also a main reason why Iowa is so effective on the QB bootleg.

The reality is this is the youngest offense Iowa has had in years.. maybe ever under KF. So far, Charlie Jones has been the only senior seeing significant minutes. That's unheard of... I'm hopeful the young o-line continues to develop with more experience. Getting Schott back helps.

Reactions: WadeWilson

The short side runs are also a main reason why Iowa is so effective on the QB bootleg.
I’m a little upset you guys pointed this out. I’ve always secretly loved when our fans bitch about running to the short side, like they think the coaches just don’t realize there’s more space on the wide side.

On the plus side, I’m guessing even if they read this they probably won’t understand it anyway and I’ll still get to see it repeated week, after week, after week.

Slots who are small and not even particularly fast, in my opinion. Another positive we can take away from today is that Kent State was able to keep LaPorta quiet but we didn't need him to put points on the board.
Wow. Laporta was huge. What game did you watch? His TD was big and his fumble recovery was bigger. His blocking was better too.

This is the correct answer ... I just got done re-watching game. SP had about 5 bad throws, maybe 6 but overall a good day and progress was made. Lot of little things derailed the O today (some days it happens). An example was on the first drive a nice pass to #3 on a tunnel screen and he slipped or would have been a first down. Next drive an OL got flagged for a false start on 1st down so behind the chains already. On 3rd down on that drive it looked like Goodson wasn't in the right spot on the screen pass (or the OL were in the way ... great call, it looked like it was going to work, but somehow SP couldn't get the ball to TG). Another strange screw-up ... that wasn't a bad call by BF. So it goes ....

I suggest to the OP to re-watching the games so you can take emotion out of the equation ... you'll see so much more and understand what they may have been trying to do in a better light. BF generally has a good plan in place to complement what the defense will do ... he isn't perfect by any stretch, but he is solid and has had some great game plans (USC Bowl game, MN in 2019, OSU in 2017, etc. - 2020 all year was pretty damn good). It's easy to have 20/20 hind site as a fan but BF doesn't have that luxury, some of his stuff just doesn't work, he has to move on and try again ... overall I'm pretty happy with BF, obviously the OP is not. Maybe the OP can list the things he doesn't like???

Reactions: sob5 and sbhawk64
🙄

Okay, moron. Thanks for stopping by. Great post. Yeah, I know nothing. And I’m sure you’re the font of genius when it comes to football. You and BBHawk are two peas in a pod.

Yawn and ignore. Buh bye, douche.
I have more knowledge of the game than you little man. Keep telling yourself how smart you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT