ADVERTISEMENT

Cops Shamelessly Laugh at Army Vet Who Wet Himself After Security Officers Deny Him Access to Bathroom

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002

‘I Had Higher Expectations’: Cops Shamelessly Laugh at Army Vet with Medical Condition Who Wet Himself After Security Officers Deny Him Access to Restaurant Bathroom​

Yasmeen Freightman
Wed, August 23, 2023 at 8:26 AM CDT·3 min read

An Army veteran with a medical condition was left to urinate on himself after two off-duty Dallas officers denied him access to a pizza restaurant’s facilities and then laughed about the fact that he soiled himself with two other police officers.
Those officers are now under investigation after Dynell Lane went before the Community Police Oversight Board in Dallas, Texas to report what happened to him.
Dallas police officers laughed at retired Army Sergeant Dynell Lane (center) who was denied access to a restaurant bathroom by two off-duty cops, then was left to soil himself due to a medical condition that stems from his time in the army. (Photos: YouTube/WFAA)

Dallas police officers laughed at retired Army Sergeant Dynell Lane (center) who was denied access to a restaurant bathroom by two off-duty cops, then was left to soil himself due to a medical condition that stems from his time in the army. (Photos: YouTube/WFAA)
It was sometime in June when Lane was out in the Deep Ellum part of town and found he needed to use the bathroom. He approached two off-duty security officers at Serious Pizza at 2 a.m. to ask if he could use the restaurant’s bathroom. He told them about his disability, but they still denied him access.

He was left to soil himself but called police for help. Two on-duty officers arrived at the restaurant just before 3 a.m. when the restaurant was beginning to close. Their body camera footage captured the exchange they had with the officers working security about the vet, which was shown to the Community Police Oversight Board.
The footage shows one officer telling the two off-duty officers, “Somebody called saying they just pissed themselves because of you two guys.”

Another female officer chimed in to say, “You just made a guy pee himself?”
One of the off-duty officers then said, “He called on us?” and began laughing.
The female officer continued, “He said you wouldn’t let him use the restroom, and then he called and said it’s okay, he doesn’t need to use the restroom anymore because he soiled himself.”

In his testimony to the board, Lane explained to board members that he was formerly an Army sergeant who had served in Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Iraq before he suffered a life-threatening injury to his lower extremities.
Subsequent surgeries left him with a disability that requires potential emergency use of a restroom.
“The Dallas Police Department failed me. They declined to assist me by not giving me the courtesy of checking my ID or medical documents,” Lane said. “I had to endure urine and bowel leakage while inside the restaurant. As a retired sergeant, I had higher expectations for the city. Please hear me when I ask for change so no one with a disability has to endure what I endured.”
A Dallas Police Department spokesperson said, “The department is looking into the complaint, and the Internal Affairs Division will conduct an administrative investigation.”

Serious Pizza released a statement to local news outlet WFAA about the incident. They told the station that employees are conditioned to close their bathrooms to the public as they begin closing up shop for the night. However, they also said that “none of the employees were presented any documentation indictating that Mr. Lane was disabled” and are “disheartened” to not have the opportunity to resolve the situation as it was happening.
“We are disappointed by the conduct of the officers involved in this incident, the extent to which we were not aware of until the bodycam footage was released yesterday [Wednesday, Aug. 16]. We have requested that the contracted off-duty officers who were on duty that night not be assigned to our restaurant moving forward, as their actions were not representative of how we treat our guests and the general public.”

Full disclosure, I peed myself in OSUT (so did most of my company). Of course, it was 47 degrees, raining and I was doing front/back/go's (push ups, immediately to flutter kicks, into run in place, rinse/repeat) in the grass after drinking about a liter of water in the previous hour.

Being freezing cold and wet, the pee felt pretty good for about 10 seconds.

A friend’s kid has similar issues due to a number of surgeries he had when he was an infant. School has been a nightmare.

Bathroom issues can be traumatic and they can end up controlling your life. Constantly having to explain your situation in order to receive accommodation is humiliating.

Of course you should back the blue; with over 60mil officer/civilian interactions each year, the majority are positive. This is a case of simply not being a decent human being. Who the frack laughs at causing an adult to wet themselves?
My theory is that quite a few folks that were bullies/jerks as adolescents are attracted to LEO jobs because it gives them power and prestige that they crave and/or lack in the rest of their lives (after all, bullying is typically low self esteem masked as aggression.)

It's a real problem and I don't know what the solution is.

My theory is that quite a few folks that were bullies/jerks as adolescents are attracted to LEO jobs because it gives them power and prestige that they crave and/or lack in the rest of their lives (after all, bullying is typically low self esteem masked as aggression.)

The solution is to screen these psychotic fk's and not make the police academy into one trimester of junior high.

I've had similar thoughts...those Principal Strickland-types. I'd like to believe we could do a better job at screening, but I also have a feeling with police and teacher shortages we've implemented an "anyone breathing and willing" hiring process.

Marty Mcfly Jennifer GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Reactions: torbee
The solution is to screen these psychotic fk's and not make the police academy into one trimester of junior high.
Every area police department in the Quad Cities is already struggling to fill open positions. I believe this is a national trend.

I agree with you 100% in theory. In practice, it will further deplete the number of officers on forces, which is not a good thing.

A holistic, longer term solution must be found.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Every area police department in the Quad Cities is already struggling to fill open positions. I believe this is a national trend.

I agree with you 100% in theory. In practice, it will further deplete the number of officers on forces, which is not a good thing.

I wonder if stricter punishments would result in less criminals which would result in less policing? Of course there are other areas of reform we've discussed too; like trained professionals who are first responders to domestic issues (with a cop on stand-bye in known conflict situations).

It's amazing how many people, not just cops, don't understand mental health issues--which can be a link to many issues where cops are called.

Reactions: torbee

The one thing I will say is dick cops are increasing world wide. In places like India and even Australia, extra judicial killing or maiming by police has gone up exponentially. Seems to be a world wide phenomenon. Sad.

Completely agree. There are some really good LEOs, and I can point you to the ones I know. There are some really bad ones though. Ego trip, narcissistic assholes. I'm a firm believer in a 4 year degree requirement for all law enforcement. Psych evals, sociology classes, constitutional law x2, and mediation courses. There are way too many people that go into it for the wrong reasons, good pay, backed by unions, rarely held accountable, and have the power control of folks not in uniform.

It happens all over the country. A bad cop is put on paid suspension and then given a letter or recommendation to go another towns LEO. Small towns are the worst at this. Look at what happened down in Kansas. He left KC to go to a rural town and do whatever he wanted.

I wonder if stricter punishments would result in less criminals which would result in less policing? Of course there are other areas of reform we've discussed too; like trained professionals who are first responders to domestic issues (with a cop on stand-bye in known conflict situations).

It's amazing how many people, not just cops, don't understand mental health issues--which can be a link to many issues where cops are called.
Keeping people in jail would be a nice start. Nearly every single time I read a story about someone arrested for violence around here, the story includes a LONG list of previous offenses that the criminal was allegedly put in jail for, but has inexplicably been let out after a ludicrously short amount of time. It's sickening.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Keeping people in jail would be a nice start. Nearly every single time I read a story about someone arrested for violence around here, the story includes a LONG list of previous offenses that the criminal was allegedly put in jail for, but has inexplicably been let out after a ludicrously short amount of time. It's sickening.

Jails don't want them. Probation Officers don't want to do their jobs, and prisons only make things worse.

I'm with you though, violent criminals should be treated differently than some other criminals.

Another point I would make, is that if substance abuse is the underlying cause of actions, jail is no place for them. We need to rehabilitate, not punish.

Last edited:
For gits and shiggles, I'm going to try to find some examples of the asinine catch-and-release performance of our shitty judicary:

Hall had been out of federal prison for only nine months when he became a suspect in the death of Roe, having been released from custody of the Bureau of Prisons on Oct. 5, 2021.
Hall was sentenced to federal prison in 2015.

Lewis Vaughn currently is on probation in Clinton County until Aug. 18, 2024. He was sentenced Aug. 18 to serve two years on probation after pleading guilty in April to a charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

A Davenport man on parole nine months after serving a prison term for selling meth and heroin was arrested Thursday by Davenport Police for allegedly again trafficking in meth and heroin.

I've always thought it was the opposite: that it was those kids who were bullied growing up and saw this as an opportunity to get a gun and a badge and finally turn the tables - to become the tough-guy badass, rather than the kid who gets picked on by everyone.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Oh look, a thread Northern, Biggrey, IMCC, Phenomenally/Franisdaman. are all sitting out.
Biggrey may pop in if Charlie Kirk tells him this was Biden's fault.

What do you want me to say? We have one side of the story as to why he wasn't allowed in. Does the restaurant restrict such?

There are simply too many cops like this who don’t know the law, don’t care what the law is, escalate constantly, have horrendous people skills, are violent at the drop of a hat and have no business wearing a badge

Or......actually rehabilitate people. Like they do in the rest of the 1st world.

I've been told that it's Biden's fault.

Not sticking up for the cops, but is there bodycam footage of the initial encounter and him explaining his condition?

What was the outcome of this?

He left. The internet proceeded to blow up the switchboard in that town and another nearby town that also gave him trouble. Both departments are currently investigating themselves.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
This is another example of the blurring of lines with 'on-duty and off-duty' cops.
These weren't cops at the time, they were private security guards. Although apparently 'assigned' to this job by the police department.
That system needs to be fixed. What other government job lets people use their government uniform, resources and training, to moonlight for overtime hours in some quasi official state?
That's usually called a conflict of interest and is not allowed.

And as usual, you'd be hilariously wrong.

JFC Whiskey, try a little harder to not say stupid shit!
Alright, I'm listening. What in that says alcohol wasn't involved? How many people do you know that are up at 2 am trying to piss in pizza places that haven't had a few brews?

Just because he had a medical condition didn't mean he wasn't drinking also.

Change your pants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT