ADVERTISEMENT

Couldn’t watch today. Am I right to assume...

I actually think the zone defense has potential, At times they were pretty active and looked solid, Figuring out the correct lineup is going to be a work in progress.
I also think they will develop more of an inside out attack, Connor and Joe both understand angles and feeding the post, Something that has been sorely missing, Luka is a force and as he figures out passing out of double teams it will lead to open 3 looks and driving options.
Count me as one who is not ready to write the season off after 2 games.

Last year's team loses this game today. Not saying this team is good yet by any stretch but Joe W. and McCaffrey can play. Those 2 and Garza give some good hope going forward. Bohannon being able to play the 2 will help his game and Dailey looks like he put some good work in the weight room this off season. He at least looks like a big 10 athlete now. He didn't score but played a decent floor game until he got hit in the face and needed stitches. Baer able to play hard in spurts rather than trying to have him log extended minutes is also a good thing for this team. Pemsl is the odd man out. Moss too. Green bay was pretty athletic. These 1st 2 opponents were good for the hawks to play against- not great shooters but athletic and quick defenders.

Last year's team loses this game today. Not saying this team is good yet by any stretch but Joe W. and McCaffrey can play. Those 2 and Garza give some good hope going forward. Bohannon being able to play the 2 will help his game and Dailey looks like he put some good work in the weight room this off season. He at least looks like a big 10 athlete now. He didn't score but played a decent floor game until he got hit in the face and needed stitches. Baer able to play hard in spurts rather than trying to have him log extended minutes is also a good thing for this team. Pemsl is the odd man out. Moss too. Green bay was pretty athletic. These 1st 2 opponents were good for the hawks to play against- not great shooters but athletic and quick defenders.

I agree. We lose this game last year. The addition of Wieskamp and Connor makes a real big difference in this team. There is hope for this season, we will know a lot more this time next week.

Last edited:
I am watching the replay right now since I was in the field this afternoon. This game wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected based on comments here and on twitter. GB made a whole bunch of garbage shots. There are a couple very weak links in the rotation right now and they will get weeded out.

Appears to me that this team listens to coaching. Fran is doing a LOT of experimenting.

Reactions: Scott559
I was at the game, and one of the above posters was right, GB hit a lot of garbage shots/putbacks/etc. When Iowa was in a zone, they played their best defense. When in man to man, they gave up way too many baseline shots/drives.

One thing that really jumped out at me was Luka Garza. Every time he got the ball, he ended up making some type of post move towards the basket. He was really aggressive, and it was fun to watch. I think Cook will garner a lot of attention, so Luka will get some really good looks down low.

I really think some people don't understand, there is a lot of parity in college basketball, more than in the past. Teams are getting good players, even some in lower level conferences. Green Bay played pretty well today, and gave the Hawks a challenge.

I was at the game, and one of the above posters was right, GB hit a lot of garbage shots/putbacks/etc. When Iowa was in a zone, they played their best defense. When in man to man, they gave up way too many baseline shots/drives.

One thing that really jumped out at me was Luka Garza. Every time he got the ball, he ended up making some type of post move towards the basket. He was really aggressive, and it was fun to watch. I think Cook will garner a lot of attention, so Luka will get some really good looks down low.

I really think some people don't understand, there is a lot of parity in college basketball, more than in the past. Teams are getting good players, even some in lower level conferences. Green Bay played pretty well today, and gave the Hawks a challenge.

I would agree there is parity. With that said, it's not great when UMKC is 0-3 and they got bombed by 30 by Loyola of Chicago and UConn. And then played a semi-competitive game against Iowa. Green Bay is 1-2 with their other loss at Indiana State. Indiana State also got beat by 17 at Ball State. From what I've seen in 2 games, Iowa is nowhere near ready to compete against Oregon, UConn or Syracuse. But that's why they play the games.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I would agree there is parity. With that said, it's not great when UMKC is 0-3 and they got bombed by 30 by Loyola of Chicago and UConn. And then played a semi-competitive game against Iowa. Green Bay is 1-2 with their other loss at Indiana State. Indiana State also got beat by 17 at Ball State. From what I've seen in 2 games, Iowa is nowhere near ready to compete against Oregon, UConn or Syracuse. But that's why they play the games.

Oh I agree with you. The game against Oregon will tell us a lot about this team. There have been times where Iowa is a deer in the headlights against a highly rated team. There are other times where they play very well in the spotlight. The way the team played last year in Madison Square Garden, I think they enjoy that venue and will play well.

Appears to me that this team listens to coaching. Fran is doing a LOT of experimenting.

I agree with you here. He is definitely seems to be mixing it up... Lots of outside shots the first game(which should start falling @ a better %). Different players taking it up the court. And then more feeding the post in the latter game.

While I am nervous because of the outcomes of the first few games, I am hopefully that this experimenting will lead to some much better results when it really matters. I.E. OREGON

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT