ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Thread

I have a fun game for you guys to play,

Google ANY number between say 1 and let’s say 1,000 followed by new cases and hit send.

If you have the time, hit as many numbers between 1-1000 before tying in new cases as you can.

Amazing isn’t it? What you just witnessed was with one of the more giant coincidences I’ve ever seen or taken part of.

What you also just witnessed is the very powerful combination of a social media giant (who doesn’t even attempt to hide its narratives and beliefs), using one of their more powerful marketing tools in Google AdWords and search engine optimization tool to control EXACTLY what they want you and their Google users to read when searching for new Coronavirus cases.

This control enables Google to keep any rogue article from being read before a person reads what they want you too first.

All you can do is laugh at this point.

He who controls the media controls the masses.

Since the beginning of time this holds true.

media = what color is this dress.

journalism = watergate.

let’s not confuse the desire to get clicks vs journalism. We need journalism now more than ever.

and I hate the media. I like journalism.

Can you explain to me what I'm supposed to be seeing here?
It's pretty simple. Pick a random number between 1 and 1,000 and add the words "new cases". For example, Google "698 new cases" (completely random number I just picked) and see what appears. Try that for any number you wish.

It's pretty simple. Pick a random number between 1 and 1,000 and add the words "new cases". For example, Google "698 new cases" (completely random number I just picked) and see what appears. Try that for any number you wish.

So there was a vast conspiracy to report consecutive numbers across multiple sites in multiple states?

or, that with 50 states, countless counties, and unlimited websites, the odds of multiple headlines over a long time period in the aggregate will mention each number between 0-1000?

Not everything is a conspiracy.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
So is the point that the search should instead be expected to return links to stories about 698 new court cases somewhere, 698 polio deaths somewhere back in 1950??

I also tried googling "middle east peace deals". Nothing about Jimmy Carter and the Egypt-Israel deal except some vague reference buried in a Wikipedia page. Damned media bias....Things were so much better when our parents, church leaders, friends, and preferred community groups gave us the objective information for which we all searched.

I have Covid. Monday will be the start of 8 weeks since my symptoms appeared. While I never felt the need to go to an emergency room - not having insurance at the moment I wouldn't have regardless - I had some really bad days and a lot of unpleasant ones. During the first two weeks I had three days with a multitude of intense symptoms; the worst being the headaches. Two of those days were together, and the worst day was separated from the by 4 days were I thought I was better. The rest of the time I would have one intense symptom on certain days; although, an occasional cough of varying degrees has always been present, with some days I almost felt normal in between.

Week 6 was probably my scariest time as I developed shortness of breath and chest pressure. My breathing was so labored that while speaking - from a distance - to my neighbor, I would have to stop every third word to catch my breath. I woke up in the middle of the night one day thinking I was suffocating. Took a while to breathe as freely as I could and was not able to go back to sleep.

I never lost my sense of taste, but had three "weird" symptoms that suggest some brief neurological problems during weeks four and five. For two days I had bad memory issues. Couldn't call on some basic vocabulary when speaking, forgot names, and worst of all forgot wrestling and wrestlers I had coached. For four days the bottom of my right foot, where my toes meet the foot proper, hurt. I don't remember a specific injury to have caused this. On the fifth day the pain was gone.

The strangest symptom during that period (week five) was three days in the morning when I awakened from a night's sleep. My right eye would open, but my left eye would remain shut. I would "tell" it to open, but it would not respond. I had to use my finger to push my eyelid up. There was no discharge gluing my eye shut - it just would not open on its own. Once I opened it, my eyelid would function as normal.

All things considered I feel fortunate I never required medical assistance (knock-on-wood as I am feeling like I am truly recovering as I write this), but I would not wish this experience on anyone... er, maybe Donald Trump; however, I am a little anxious about long-term repercussions as it will be years before we fully understand this disease. In the meantime, I hope it is not like herpes or malaria where I will have symptoms appear without warning over a long period of time.

Cool story, bro. Hope you feel better soon but you left out the part about you being old and/or fat and/or having pre-existing health conditions which is kind of an important part of your cool story.

Wow. You are either an idiot, or you suffer from a severe case of TDS. I have plenty of friends that hate Trump but I am very fortunate to say they have yet to be infected by the most dangerous virus sweeping this country. They can still think rationally for the most part. I have heard a lot about TDS but since it hasn’t had any effect on my life I wasn’t sure it was real. I hope you can get some treatment.
I will happily give credit where credit is due, but I won't be able to reach a rational conclusion about whether this "peace deal" means squat for me, this country, or the middle east for perhaps 5, 10, or more years. The history books are littered with meaningless peace deals. Time will tell. Also have no clue from what I've read what it is that the US even did to make the deal happen.

So there was a vast conspiracy to report consecutive numbers across multiple sites in multiple states?

or, that with 50 states, countless counties, and unlimited websites, the odds of multiple headlines over a long time period in the aggregate will mention each number between 0-1000?

He asked what it meant and I explained it. Thanks for the conspiracy lesson though.

If it wasn't for the taxpayer subsidy, it would be in the garbage dump with those other entities.
Even if this were true (others seem to have refuted this), to be fair the same could be said for a lot of private companies/industries. Subsidies, bailouts, disaster relief, and bankruptcy protections. When the government check is in my mailbox (or the company I work for), it's a well deserved honorable program. When it's in the neighbor's mailbox, its a damned welfare program for lazy people or inefficient companies that we should let fail.

I have a fun game for you guys to play,

Google ANY number between say 1 and let’s say 1,000 followed by new cases and hit send.

If you have the time, hit as many numbers between 1-1000 before tying in new cases as you can.

Amazing isn’t it? What you just witnessed was with one of the more giant coincidences I’ve ever seen or taken part of.

What you also just witnessed is the very powerful combination of a social media giant (who doesn’t even attempt to hide its narratives and beliefs), using one of their more powerful marketing tools in Google AdWords and search engine optimization tool to control EXACTLY what they want you and their Google users to read when searching for new Coronavirus cases.

This control enables Google to keep any rogue article from being read before a person reads what they want you too first.

All you can do is laugh at this point.

He who controls the media controls the masses.

Since the beginning of time this holds true.

Another fun game... type in any number between 1 and say 50, followed by "killed" and hit send.

Equally amazing, no?

Even if this were true (others seem to have refuted this), ...
LOL. Opinions can not refute opinions. The USPS using any measurable is in big trouble and it’s getting worse not better. The argument you and others make is that privatizing mail will lead to higher prices and worse service. What is actually happening is that mail is being replaced by email. I don’t get bills any longer by mail. Do you? All I get is junk mail. Junk mail props up the USPS. Force companies into other forms of advertising and the USPS has no need to exist. I know older people still get bills by mail but we would be better off as a country to wean them off mail and onto email.

A real test of a company’s viability is to ask whether you can survive without it. Electronics became cheap enough that I didn’t need repair shops. Streaming channels mean I don’t need Blockbuster. Email and the internet means I don’t need the USPS. That’s how the real world works.

Cool story, bro. Hope you feel better soon but you left out the part about you being old and/or fat and/or having pre-existing health conditions which is kind of an important part of your cool story.
Wow, thanks for the empathy. I am 51 years old, do not have any pre-existing health conditions other than a minor leaking heart valve I have had since childhood. While not being in my competition shape and carrying a few extra pounds around the midsection that I am trying to get rid of (5'11" with waist size 38) I still remain active on a daily basis - most days while dealing with this virus I still managed to walk a couple miles - and coach high school wrestling. This past season I wrestled with my 160 and HWT on a daily basis as they got ready for the end of the season tournaments. Point being, anyone could get this.

You are kind of an ass, aren't you Boogaloo? I don't know you, as you don't know me, so I am just guessing. But thanks for the well-wishes.

LOL. Opinions can not refute opinions. The USPS using any measurable is in big trouble and it’s getting worse not better. The argument you and others make is that privatizing mail will lead to higher prices and worse service. What is actually happening is that mail is being replaced by email. I don’t get bills any longer by mail. Do you? All I get is junk mail. Junk mail props up the USPS. Force companies into other forms of advertising and the USPS has no need to exist. I know older people still get bills by mail but we would be better off as a country to wean them off mail and onto email.

A real test of a company’s viability is to ask whether you can survive without it. Electronics became cheap enough that I didn’t need repair shops. Streaming channels mean I don’t need Blockbuster. Email and the internet means I don’t need the USPS. That’s how the real world works.
Convenient that you've never addressed the posters who immediately debunked your opinion based on nothing other than platitudes and "what makes sense" in your mind with actual facts and material causes for the post office's struggles.

Throw out the idea that the private companies will be an inferior service, and the argument doesn't change.The "struggles" you're pointing at have been completely artificially created by that 2006 bill. Without it, the post office has no problems funding itself completely with stamps (no tax payer dollars). You point to email and the internet as removing the need for the post office while ignoring that the internet, specifically online shopping, is actually increasing demand for it. An estimated 2/3rds of amazon's shipping is through the USPS. I may not get paper bills once a month anymore, but I get a ton of products through the USPS off amazon and other sites.

This isn't hard to understand if you don't view the world through a rigid "public bad/private good" lens.

Convenient that you've never addressed the posters who immediately debunked your opinion based on nothing other than platitudes and "what makes sense" in your mind with actual facts and material causes for the post office's struggles.

Throw out the idea that the private companies will be an inferior service, and the argument doesn't change.The "struggles" you're pointing at have been completely artificially created by that 2006 bill. Without it, the post office has no problems funding itself completely with stamps (no tax payer dollars). You point to email and the internet as removing the need for the post office while ignoring that the internet, specifically online shopping, is actually increasing demand for it. An estimated 2/3rds of amazon's shipping is through the USPS. I may not get paper bills once a month anymore, but I get a ton of products through the USPS off amazon and other sites.

This isn't hard to understand if you don't view the world through a rigid "public bad/private good" lens.
They didn't debunk anything and neither are you. Maybe you're the one with the bad lens. The USPS has been struggling since the 1980s. Well before 2006. Why do you think Amazon uses the USPS so much? The answer is because they are cheaper than any other form of shipping. Why is that? Because they can just charge more for stamps in their little mail monopoly. It props up the rest of their business. Snail mail is dying. In 10 years that slice of the "mail" business will be significantly less than it is now as email and online grows. Why should anyone want to keep a dinosaur (snail mail) alive? You point to the growing need for USPS online shopping shipping business. Great!! Then shed the losing business like daily mail and concentrate on what you do well. Deliver packages if you're so efficient at it. But keeping the USPS the same entity it always was when the landscape is changing drastically is putting your head in the sand. Private business could never survive by not adapting. Just ask Blockbuster. Neither can the USPS. It isn't about public/private. It's about the best use of resources.

They didn't debunk anything and neither are you. Maybe you're the one with the bad lens. The USPS has been struggling since the 1980s. Well before 2006. Why do you think Amazon uses the USPS so much? The answer is because they are cheaper than any other form of shipping. Why is that? Because they can just charge more for stamps in their little mail monopoly. It props up the rest of their business. Snail mail is dying. In 10 years that slice of the "mail" business will be significantly less than it is now as email and online grows. Why should anyone want to keep a dinosaur (snail mail) alive? You point to the growing need for USPS online shopping shipping business. Great!! Then shed the losing business like daily mail and concentrate on what you do well. Deliver packages if you're so efficient at it. But keeping the USPS the same entity it always was when the landscape is changing drastically is putting your head in the sand. Private business could never survive by not adapting. Just ask Blockbuster. Neither can the USPS. It isn't about public/private. It's about the best use of resources.

What govt services should be profitable?

Police? Fire departments? Schools? The military?

why is the post office the first cut?

and again, the president openly said its about vote suppression and not in fact about the money. Why are you framing the argument this way when that wasn’t the stated motive?

Cuts to the USPS are compromising health of millions.

80% of VA outpt prescriptions are sent through USPS. Over 300,000 per day!

Mail order prescription services increased by 21% over last year. CVS, Walgreens and others have seen their mail business increase, especially with covid.

The attack on the USPS is going to affect the health of many Americans who rely on mailed prescriptions.

And there is no reason for it, other than Trump wants to cripple mail in voting (except in FL, where he uses it). He has even said that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/denise...retching-the-usps-to-its-limits/#12cacf3a375a

As usual you are wrong! If not for the 2006 bill requiring huge expense for retirement fund, the post office would not lose money. It is not that difficult to understand unless you are a PSU grad. The post office would require no tax payer funds otherwise. The stamps sold would fund all post office expenses. If YOU do not want to fund the post office, do not buy stamps. It is that simple. Yes email is great, but many older people, rural people, and poor people do not have good internet service for which they can get their mail. It would also be difficult to get your prescriptions and your government( and other) checks via email. I can not understand why it is so difficult for you to understand this.

I didn't realize we had so many postal service employees and related bots on a wrestling forum. Good show.

Snail mail is dying. Look around you for the truth in that.

Reactions: rcamp67
I didn't realize we had so many postal service employees and related bots on a wrestling forum. Good show.

Snail mail is dying. Look around you for the truth in that.

I'm not a postal service employee or a bot. Have been on this board for 16 years. A friend of mine does rely on USPS to get prescription medication... recently it came a week later than usual. Not good.

If you read the Forbes article I linked above, you can see that prescription meds are being mailed more frequently nowadays, and it's through the USPS. Veterans use it for meds.

Washington, Oregon, and Colorado have used mail in for all voting... for years, and with no problems.

USPS clearly serves a useful purpose and has for 200 years. Why the attack on it a few months before a big election? The answer is obvious.

I'm not a postal service employee or a bot. Have been on this board for 16 years. A friend of mine does rely on USPS to get prescription medication... recently it came a week later than usual. Not good.

If you read the Forbes article I linked above, you can see that prescription meds are being mailed more frequently nowadays, and it's through the USPS. Veterans use it for meds.

Washington, Oregon, and Colorado have used mail in for all voting... for years, and with no problems.

USPS clearly serves a useful purpose and has for 200 years. Why the attack on it a few months before a big election? The answer is obvious.
What does the election have to do with a dinosaur that people have wanted to euthanize for decades? You can come up with all the heart clutching examples you want but each can be done swiftly by others.

What does the election have to do with a dinosaur that people have wanted to euthanize for decades? You can come up with all the heart clutching examples you want but each can be done swiftly by others.
What people want to get rid of the postal service? Except you and a few others. The latest surveys show that 91% of our citizens have a favorable opinion of the postal service!
I guess the big question is: why do you want to euthanize the postal service? Does it affect you in some manner? If it pays for itself, why do you care? If you do not like it, do not use it by buying no stamps and not sending any packages via the postal service.

Reactions: js8793
You're willfully missing the point because you don't want to admit you're wrong about something you didn't know anything about before spouting off.

The USPS is not a dinosaur; it is one of the great marvels of public infrastructure in the entire world. It is completely self-funding, efficient, and helpful to the overwhelming majority of Americans. As a conservative that doesn't like government spending, you should LOVE the USPS because it doesn't use any of your tax dollars while still providing you with an essential service.

"People" haven't been trying to euthanize it. Politicians taking corporate cash have tried to euthanize it so they can sell it off to private enterprises who want to make money off its infrastructure at the cost of the citizens. As another poster pointed out, you are in the extreme minority here. The USPS has 90+% approval.

As for the election, Trump's explicit admission that he wants to kill the USPS to kill mail in voting (or delegitimize it for a post-election court battle) is secondary to the long standing attempt to destroy it for corporate interests, but still important and unavoidable. I mean the man said it out loud. It's not really defensible. And I'm certainly not one who has "TDS" or whatever.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

wait a second, trump openly said its about voter suppression and not money. Are you denying he said it? Or saying that’s irrelevant if we can save a nickel?

The USPS is not a dinosaur; it is one of the great marvels of public infrastructure in the entire world. It is completely self-funding, efficient, and helpful to the overwhelming majority of Americans. As a conservative that doesn't like government spending, you should LOVE the USPS because it doesn't use any of your tax dollars while still providing you with an essential service.

Wait...what? Last April, officials from the USPS were on Capitol Hill begging for $75 Billion to remain solvent.

https://www.politico.com/news/agenda/2020/04/16/the-right-way-to-bail-out-the-post-office-190271

Reactions: pablow and Gobblin
Wait...what? Last April, officials from the USPS were on Capitol Hill begging for $75 Billion to remain solvent.

https://www.politico.com/news/agenda/2020/04/16/the-right-way-to-bail-out-the-post-office-190271
Because the 2006 bill forces them to prefund 75 years of pensions which accounts for 90% of the losses since its passing.

It was done on purpose with the intent of creating the current situation where people can say "see, it doesn't work. we should privatize it." It's like me shooting Usain Bolt in both knees and saying "see, I told you I'm faster."

Before August 2020, I don’t believe five people had anything good to say about the USPS. Wonder what has changed?
https://news.gallup.com/poll/257510/postal-service-americans-favorite-federal-agency.aspx

"This conforms with its No. 1 status in all prior years Gallup measured it, including 2014, 2017 and 2018."

It's literally been the favorite public agency of Americans for years.

Stop lazily projecting your own opinions onto the rest of the country. You are in the overwhelming minority on this issue.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/257510/postal-service-americans-favorite-federal-agency.aspx

"This conforms with its No. 1 status in all prior years Gallup measured it, including 2014, 2017 and 2018."

It's literally been the favorite public agency of Americans for years.

Stop lazily projecting your own opinions onto the rest of the country. You are in the overwhelming minority on this issue.
Ah, so we should keep the USPS because people like them. I liked Blockbuster too but dinosaurs need to die. The USPS is bleeding money and not because of the 2006 law. They’ve been bleeding money for years. If you put a price tag with the question asked by Gallup, I bet the numbers would go down substantially.

Ah, so we should keep the USPS because people like them. I liked Blockbuster too but dinosaurs need to die. The USPS is bleeding money and not because of the 2006 law. They’ve been bleeding money for years. If you put a price tag with the question asked by Gallup, I bet the numbers would go down substantially.
Repeating something false a bunch of times won't make it true. I don't know how many times I have to tell you the post office doesn't use tax dollars before you get it through your head.

Even the $75 billion bailout to solve the problem artificially created by the 2006 bill that Chief linked would only represent 1.5% of the yearly fiscal budget for 2020 or the equivalent of me buying a soda out of the vending machine at work in terms of my yearly budget. And again, they wouldn't need it if not for that bill.

Take the L. Nobody knows everything about every issue (myself included) and this just happens to be an issue where all of your preconceived notions are easily demonstrably false. You're not dumb for not knowing anything about the USPS.

Because the 2006 bill forces them to prefund 75 years of pensions which accounts for 90% of the losses since its passing.

It was done on purpose with the intent of creating the current situation where people can say "see, it doesn't work. we should privatize it." It's like me shooting Usain Bolt in both knees and saying "see, I told you I'm faster."

Well it was unanimous in the Senate and nearly unanimous in the House; 20 Republicans voted against it. Also, it didn't prefund pensions, that's already mandatory...nobody (private or public) is allowed to pay as you go for pensions.

It required them to prefund healthcare benefits (which USPS has defaulted on) which is likely why all Democrats jumped on board...or maybe they wanted it to fail too. Private corporations do not have to do this...they can drop those benefits at any time but it takes an act of Congress for the USPS to do it which is protection for postal workers.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ebook-post-blames-2006-law-us-postal/#sources

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer...sions--some-key-myths-and-facts/#67f351eb47f5

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr22

Last edited:
What does the election have to do with a dinosaur that people have wanted to euthanize for decades?

According to Pew research center survey the USPS has the highest rating of any government agency - 91% favorable.

Your claim is way off. Where are you getting your information.....are you a Russian troll or bot?

AnaT7It.png

According to Pew research center survey the USPS has the highest rating of any government agency - 91% favorable.

Your claim is way off. Where are you getting your information.....are you a Russian troll or bot?

AnaT7It.png
It was NASA before Obama turned it into an outreach center to the Muslim cmty.

Before August 2020, I don’t believe five people had anything good to say about the USPS. Wonder what has changed?
Do you listen to anyone about anything. Recent surveys(before August 2020) show that over 90% of Americans like the postal service. Do we have to repeat that to you again and again?

Do you listen to anyone about anything. Recent surveys(before August 2020) show that over 90% of Americans like the postal service. Do we have to repeat that to you again and again?
Yeah, yeah and a 120% of the country backed your pathectic socialist platorms in 2016.

The USPS has not been profitable since 2006. Before that, it was generally profitable.

1LwQ3Ng.png

But the larger point is, the USPS is widely used, and delivers to places that Fed Ex or UPS can't and still keep prices down. American people overwhelmingly support keeping the USPS.

The USPS has a favorable rating of 91%, highest of all federal agencies (CDC, VA, Justice, etc). Far higher than Trump's dismal approval rating, btw.

I like getting Birthday cards and letters from my grandchildren, therefore, let the dinosaurs die before you get rid of the postal service. It's an elementary post and was intended to be.

The majority. A couple scattered at various things around town, but mostly service industry. I’m a recent grad and hang around the local music scene mostly. Probably a lot different social scene than most on this board.
Well it was unanimous in the Senate and nearly unanimous in the House; 20 Republicans voted against it. Also, it didn't prefund pensions, that's already mandatory...nobody (private or public) is allowed to pay as you go for pensions.

It required them to prefund healthcare benefits (which USPS has defaulted on) which is likely why all Democrats jumped on board...or maybe they wanted it to fail too. Private corporations do not have to do this...they can drop those benefits at any time but it takes an act of Congress for the USPS to do it which is protection for postal workers.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ebook-post-blames-2006-law-us-postal/#sources

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer...sions--some-key-myths-and-facts/#67f351eb47f5

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr22
It won't matter.

TDS is real.
This is just a way to deflect any criticism. Oh you think Trump shouldnt dismantle the Postal System? TDS. Oh you think his general temperment is unappealing? TDS. Oh you think he may be taking part in things that are antidemocratic? TDS.

Any accusation is ignored by putting the person who raises it on trial. It is an ad hominem attack.

If people actually had a leg to stand on in these instances they wouldnt resort to such tactics. Its awfully telling that no criticism is met with a rebuttle to the criticism, but instead its met with an ad hominem. This weakens your arguement.It doesnt strengthen it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
This is just a way to deflect any criticism. Oh you think Trump shouldnt dismantle the Postal System? TDS. Oh you think his general temperment is unappealing? TDS. Oh you think he may be taking part in things that are antidemocratic? TDS.

Any accusation is ignored by putting the person who raises it on trial. It is an ad hominem attack.

If people actually had a leg to stand on in these instances they wouldnt resort to such tactics. Its awfully telling that no criticism is met with a rebuttle to the criticism, but instead its met with an ad hominem. This weakens your arguement.It doesnt strengthen it.
Wow, back to long hair, infested 60s

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitt Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT