ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Thread

This is just a way to deflect any criticism. Oh you think Trump shouldnt dismantle the Postal System? TDS. Oh you think his general temperment is unappealing? TDS. Oh you think he may be taking part in things that are antidemocratic? TDS.

Any accusation is ignored by putting the person who raises it on trial. It is an ad hominem attack.

If people actually had a leg to stand on in these instances they wouldnt resort to such tactics. Its awfully telling that no criticism is met with a rebuttle to the criticism, but instead its met with an ad hominem. This weakens your arguement.It doesnt strengthen it.
Anyone who can't admit some good/some bad whether it's Trump, Obama, Bush or Clinton isn't rational. So call being obsessed with everything Trump does what you want. Rational people can determine what's right and what's wrong on their own. When people are raised to throw a fit whenever they don't like something or someone it makes things tough. If everyone thinks everything Trump does is so bad he won't win in November. I think many believe he will win again, so I imagine the media will continue to make every non story bigger than what it is.

Anyone who can't admit some good/some bad whether it's Trump, Obama, Bush or Clinton isn't rational. So call being obsessed with everything Trump does what you want. Rational people can determine what's right and what's wrong on their own. When people are raised to throw a fit whenever they don't like something or someone it makes things tough. If everyone thinks everything Trump does is so bad he won't win in November. I think many believe he will win again, so I imagine the media will continue to make every non story bigger than what it is.
Regardless of what you personally believe, this isn't true at all. Pretty much everyone not employed by the Trump campaign considers him to be a huge underdog at this point, to the point of overconfidence. I'm certainly not counting him out though, as I have no confidence in the competence of the dems.

For the sake of the argument, if it is true that he is sabotaging to USPS to help his election chances (as he himself stated), do you think that's a legitimate thing to be upset about?

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Its you who are making everything black and white though. People can have nuanced beliefs while criticizing trump. You are saying people who only see it one way are irrational, yet anyone who criticizes trump has TDS. See the hypocrisy there?

Regardless of what you personally believe, this isn't true at all. Pretty much everyone not employed by the Trump campaign considers him to be a huge underdog at this point, to the point of overconfidence. I'm certainly not counting him out though, as I have no confidence in the competence of the dems.

For the sake of the argument, if it is true that he is sabotaging to USPS to help his election chances (as he himself stated), do you think that's a legitimate thing to be upset about?

The only people who consider him a huge underdog are listening to the same polls that claimed Hillary would win by a landslide. If you really look at some of the polling data it is a wonder how the people conducting them found work. One of them had a test base assuming a 50% jump in minority voting this year from 2016. Harris is an anchor to an already sinking biden. He can't form a sentence and she is nearly as unlikable as Hillary was.

The only people who consider him a huge underdog are listening to the same polls that claimed Hillary would win by a landslide. If you really look at some of the polling data it is a wonder how the people conducting them found work. One of them had a test base assuming a 50% jump in minority voting this year from 2016. Harris is an anchor to an already sinking biden. He can't form a sentence and she is nearly as unlikable as Hillary was.
....yep and there was nothing that has happened since '16 that would suggest a large increase in minority participation. Not one thing.

You can believe that, but it doesn't change the point that people aren't criticizing him because they "think he's winning," as Chopper said.

Also, the polls weren't actually that wrong in 2016, and they certainly didn't predict a landslide. The RCP national average had Hillary up 3 points on election day nationally. She won the popular vote by 2, within the margin of error. There were a few turnout model mistakes with the individual state polling that has now been accounted for (increase in voters w/o a degree and decrease in minority turnout, both huge in flipping MI an WI). Currently Biden sits at an 8 point lead nationally and that has been pretty stable for a while.

What was wrong, was the overconfidence by the pundits reading the polls who couldn't conceive of a possibility of him actually winning, even though the polls showed it was in reach.

In more covid news...

<<One of the largest public universities to try extensive on-campus teaching abandoned its efforts after just one week. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill rapidly pivoted to online learning Monday after three residence halls and a fraternity house reported clusters of coronavirus cases. “We have tried to make this work, but it is not working,” UNC Dean of Public Health Barbara K. Rimer said.>>

Its you who are making everything black and white though. People can have nuanced beliefs while criticizing trump. You are saying people who only see it one way are irrational, yet anyone who criticizes trump has TDS. See the hypocrisy there?
That's not what I said. I'll say it again, whether it's Trump, Obama, Bush or Clinton if you can't admit just one thing they did seems to be a good thing you aren't being rational. like I said if he's so bad for so many people he won't win in November, we shall see.

I'm old enough to remember the 2016 election odds. If you haven't severed or lived off your parents dime for at least 5 years I don't have time to read your media talking points. I'm sure just like the Russia hoax there will be a USPS or something else hoax. Its not cool to lose political races with grace anymore, so if Trump wins or loses the excuses will be flying. That I can guarantee. I wouldn't rely on polls though, I'm not sure I know one person left or right that does them.

There have been recent covid outbreaks at multiple universities, as they begin reopening for fall. Okla St and U Wash have had outbreaks at sorority/fraternity houses.

Several more universities announced suspension of in person classes, due to upticks in covid:

Notre Dame
Mich St
U Penn

A Temple Univ professor had this to say:

“Who is to blame? The primary fault here lies in the POTUS and Congress for not handling the pandemic properly,” Sara Goldrick-Rab, professor of sociology and medicine and founding director at the Hope Center for College, Community, and Justice at Temple University, told Yahoo Finance. “With a real lockdown in spring, we wouldn’t be here right now.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-college-classess-campus-211709998.html

I'm old enough to remember the 2016 election odds. If you haven't severed or lived off your parents dime for at least 5 years I don't have time to read your media talking points. I'm sure just like the Russia hoax there will be a USPS or something else hoax. Its not cool to lose political races with grace anymore, so if Trump wins or loses the excuses will be flying. That I can guarantee. I wouldn't rely on polls though, I'm not sure I know one person left or right that does them.
Election "odds" aren't polling. They're the subjective analysis by pundits (professional wrong people) and that's what gave the illusion that it was out of reach despite the poll numbers saying differently. 538 actually had more reasonable odds that put Hillary as a moderate favorite.

And I haven't lived off my parents dime since I was 18 and left for college (worked full time as a full time student the whole time), so I'm not sure why you keep taking cheap shots at the fact that I'm in my mid 20s. I've made my own way in the world just like everyone else.

There have been recent covid outbreaks at multiple universities, as they begin reopening for fall. Okla St and U Wash have had outbreaks at sorority/fraternity houses.

Several more universities announced suspension of in person classes, due to upticks in covid:

Notre Dame
Mich St
U Penn

A Temple Univ professor had this to say:

“Who is to blame? The primary fault here lies in the POTUS and Congress for not handling the pandemic properly,” Sara Goldrick-Rab, professor of sociology and medicine and founding director at the Hope Center for College, Community, and Justice at Temple University, told Yahoo Finance. “With a real lockdown in spring, we wouldn’t be here right now.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-college-classess-campus-211709998.html

Spain imposed one of the harsest lockdowns in the world and now they are experiencing a significant resurgence. That country is considering another lockdown. Same deal in Israel. You're overselling this.

That's not what I said. I'll say it again, whether it's Trump, Obama, Bush or Clinton if you can't admit just one thing they did seems to be a good thing you aren't being rational. like I said if he's so bad for so many people he won't win in November, we shall see.
And like I said, no one needs to clarify that they approve of something before a criticism is legitimate. You are the one putting people in the box.

Reactions: Trapper85
Agreed, trump has done more for minority citizens than any president in recent memory
How can you complain the poll is incorrectly favoring dems because of too many minorities accounted for, but say the minority turn out is because trump has been so good to them? How does that make any sense at all? Thats a really stupid thing to say.

Last edited:
In more covid news...

<<One of the largest public universities to try extensive on-campus teaching abandoned its efforts after just one week. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill rapidly pivoted to online learning Monday after three residence halls and a fraternity house reported clusters of coronavirus cases. “We have tried to make this work, but it is not working,” UNC Dean of Public Health Barbara K. Rimer said.>>

I don't disagree with this decision, but they're not sending them home from residence halls right? It seems that's where it's more being spread as opposed to in class...

I don't disagree with this decision, but they're not sending them home from residence halls right? It seems that's where it's more being spread as opposed to in class...

Kids are packing up and moving out.

Virus spread at off campus parties. Big suprise there...........:rolleyes:

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...-people-suicidal-ideation-wellness/index.html

It’s becoming increasingly clear that the cure is worse than the disease when it comes to COVID.

Seriously? Or just being silly?

I guess you are trying to be dismissive with an old phrase that doesn't really fit the situation. What is the cure that is worse than the disease?

The article you posted talks about people feeling stress from the pandemic and feeling suicidal. Are you putting them down? It doesn't mention masks, hand washing, lockdowns, etc. so can't be dismissing that are you. What is your point?

There are currently 171,000 fatalities and counting at around 1,000 deaths per day for most of August. Could possibly be 230,000-250,000 by the time of the Presidential election.

35% of people recovered from the virus are not back to normal 3 weeks later. And many of them have symptoms 3 and 4 months later. Some are in rehab, there have been amputations, lung transplants.

And you think the cure, whatever that may be, is worse than the disease???? Really?

Last edited:
I guess you are trying to be dismissive with an old phrase that doesn't really fit the situation. What is the cure that is worse than the disease?

The article you posted talks about people feeling stress from the pandemic and feeling suicidal. Are you putting them down? It doesn't mention masks, hand washing, lockdowns, etc. so can't be dismissing that are you. What is your point?

There are currently 171,000 fatalities and counting at around 1,000 deaths per day for most of August. Could possibly be 230,000-250,000 by the time of the Presidential election.

35% of people recovered from the virus are not back to normal 3 weeks later. And many of them have symptoms 3 and 4 months later. Some are in rehab, there have been amputations, lung transplants.

And you think the cure, whatever that may be, is worse than the disease????

Not to keep interjecting, but I am in week 8 (1st symptom appeared on June 29th). Thought I was home free two days ago, but had symptoms re-appear yesterday. Regardless of your political affiliation this virus is a real thing that is dangerous to lives and the economy. Even a mild case will make it difficult or impossible to work or attend school on certain days. The scariest thing is the unknown - will there be long-term repercussions. Please take this seriously.

Spain imposed one of the harsest lockdowns in the world and now they are experiencing a significant resurgence. That country is considering another lockdown. Same deal in Israel. You're overselling this.

Not sure what it is that you think I'm "overselling." That universities are suspending in person classes is simply factual information. Covid spread can be mitigated if recommended health guidelines are followed is not a sales pitch. All healthcare experts say that.

You can find other countries that are experiencing a covid resurgence. Spain is one of those, and they reopened the economy before the infections were not fully under control... just like many states in the U.S. - think FL and GE, as well as others.

New Zealand, which had one of the strictest lockdowns early on, effectively stopped covid. They had zero active cases by June 8th and 102 days after that, without a single new case.

But on Aug 11, 4 family members in NZ tested positive, and the origin is unknown. Since then 65 additional cases have popped up, all connected to the same family. So it's back to strict lockdown, testing, etc. Hopefully it will be contained.

How Spain and any other country handles their resurgence remains to be seen.

Not to keep interjecting, but I am in week 8 (1st symptom appeared on June 29th). Thought I was home free two days ago, but had symptoms re-appear yesterday. Regardless of your political affiliation this virus is a real thing that is dangerous to lives and the economy. Even a mild case will make it difficult or impossible to work or attend school on certain days. The scariest thing is the unknown - will there be long-term repercussions. Please take this seriously.

There is so much unknown about covid and that includes long term morbidity. Hopefully in time, you'll recover completely.

Reactions: darth vomitus
Many of you probably saw this in news a couple of weeks ago.

Regarding long term effects of covid.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...son-myocarditis-covid-19-recovery/5564760002/

So here was a 27 y.o. healthy, pro athlete who had covid, recovered and cleared to play baseball (Red Sox pitcher). ~2 weeks after that, he experienced shortness of breath in practice, and was found to have myocarditis, a finding seen in a number of covid patients. He is now out for the remainder of the season.

My symptoms started May 21, tested positive May 23, had body aches, very low grade fever, very lethargic, and loss sense of taste and smell. Symptoms went away around May 31 and I’ve felt fine since. I’m 46, overweight and have high blood pressure. My perception is based on my reality and not what CNN tells me. Wife also had it and same result, no lingering symptoms. None of our 3 kids age 16, 12, and 7 ever had symptoms.

I am really sorry to hear you are having trouble with continuing symptoms. Wishing you well and continuing recovery.

With your screen name and how few posts you have I think many here are not sure if you are serious or just trolling us.

I agree the virus is real and serious. People need to take precautions to stay safe and keep those around them safe.

Just saw an article today which said many have 20%-30% reduction in lung function which could impact their lives indefinitely. The article also stated that Doctors are estimating that up to 50% of patients may experience neurological problems. Not good.

There is so much unknown about covid and that includes long term morbidity. Hopefully in time, you'll recover completely.
Agree. It will be a long time before before the effects will be known, and as with every illness, even if there are 'average effects', there will be significant individual variability, including in effects of various treatments. Every illness is scary, but even more so when its new with a lot of unknowns. Be well.

Only incredibly ignorant white people believe that. No minority says that’s true.

Wow, did you just assume I must be white because I support Trump? How racist are you? More or less than your selected heros Joe "you ain't black" Biden or kamala harris who gets off locking up poor minorities for non violent Marijuana offenses and keeping them in prison past their sentences for cheap labor? I remember EVERY Democrat sitting down, arms crossed and sulking at Trump's state of the union a couple years ago when he mentioned record low minority unemployment and record high average wages. They couldn't stand it which is disgusting and really tells you how they feel about the people they lie and claim to stand up for. Let's also acknowledge that Trump has done more for gun control, prison reform and police reform than Obama and creepy uncle Joe ever even thought about doing, all of which are issues that disproportionately impact people of color. By the way, I'm not white, now go crawl back into your little hole and pretend to be the social justice warrior you play online. If you get tired of that maybe you can tune into the democratic convention and listen to Bill Clinton talk about the ethics one needs when working in the Oral Office. Oops, i meant to say oval, but oral works too I suppose. Remind me of the hypocritical left's proud stance of standing up for abused women again? #walkaway

I had a similar thought, but it went something like not trusting someone who inherited millions from family, filed numerous bankruptcies, and had lots of repetitive media talking points (like "fake news", "it's a hoax".......followed by numerous lies or conspiracy theories). I also agree polls should be interpreted very cautiously. I recall studies show that plenty of people are not honest in surveys, so even if a well designed survey, be careful. Finally, I agree there will be plenty of excuses regardless of who loses. Something tells me the nature of those excuses will be very different though.

Wow, did you just assume I must be white because I support Trump? How racist are you? More or less than your selected heros Joe "you ain't black" Biden or kamala harris who gets off locking up poor minorities for non violent Marijuana offenses and keeping them in prison past their sentences for cheap labor? I remember EVERY Democrat sitting down, arms crossed and sulking at Trump's state of the union a couple years ago when he mentioned record low minority unemployment and record high average wages. They couldn't stand it which is disgusting and really tells you how they feel about the people they lie and claim to stand up for. Let's also acknowledge that Trump has done more for gun control, prison reform and police reform than Obama and creepy uncle Joe ever even thought about doing, all of which are issues that disproportionately impact people of color. By the way, I'm not white, now go crawl back into your little hole and pretend to be the social justice warrior you play online. If you get tired of that maybe you can tune into the democratic convention and listen to Bill Clinton talk about the ethics one needs when working in the Oral Office. Oops, i meant to say oval, but oral works too I suppose. Remind me of the hypocritical left's proud stance of standing up for abused women again? #walkaway

I stopped reading at “did I assume you’re white”

no, I assumed that anyone stupid enough to think trump helped minorities has never spent all of 30 seconds living as one of us.

I get a kick out of white people thinking they know what’s best for minorities. You don’t. You never will. Imagine the arrogance of saying “not only do I know what’s best for you, you’re just too stupid to know it”

Just because Donald trump says it’s true doesn’t make it true.

Oh honey, you really think you served up everyone. Cute. You covered race, Kamala's DA experience, the economy, gun control, prison reform, police reform, and Clinton getting blowies in one paragraph. What are the chances that you may have glossed over these very nuanced issues with less context than they deserve? You didnt give clear examples for any of them; well except for the Clinton thing. You better walk away little one. You're going to hurt yourself if you try to expand on those things.

Last edited:
I stopped reading at “did I assume you’re white”

no, I assumed that anyone stupid enough to think trump helped minorities has never spent all of 30 seconds living as one of us.

I get a kick out of white people thinking they know what’s best for minorities. You don’t. You never will. Imagine the arrogance of saying “not only do I know what’s best for you, you’re just too stupid to know it”

Just because Donald trump says it’s true doesn’t make it true.

If your reading comprehension was even a hair better you may have read far enough in to realize how foolish your doubling down really makes you look

Reactions: MVPFAN
Oh honey, you really think you served up everyone. Cute. You covered race, Kamala's DA experience, the economy, gun control, prison reform, police reform, and Clinton getting blowies in one paragraph. What are the chances that you may have glossed over these very nuanced issues with less context than they deserve? You didnt give clear examples for any of them; well except for the Clinton thing. You better walk away little one. You're going to hurt yourself if you try to expand on those things.

Shh call it a night and go to bed, boomer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopper25
Shh I don't have any time for you, sweet child.
Why not?

All you did was muddy the water with so much crap its hard to handle. I can do the same just replacing the criticisms for dems to Republicans.

Wow, did you just assume Im white because Im a Biden supporter? How racist are you? More or less than your entitled billionaire candidate Donald "I have a great relationship with the blacks" Trump or Pence who cant even sit in a room with a woman who isnt his wife in fear that temptation could take over. I remember every single Republican sitting at the state of the union, upset because Obama had just claimed victory over the Great recession. They couldnt stand it despite the great impact for the American people. You could see they were going to jump at any chance to tear down such an achievement. Lets acknowledge that Obama has done more for the economy, gun control, prison reform, and police reform than Trump and Milquetoast Mike ever even thought of doing, all of which are issues that disproportionately impact people of color. By the way, I not white, so crawl back into your shack on the west side of town, with the unmowed grass, covered in confederate and trump flags. If you get tired you can tune into the Republican convention and listen to a Reagan worship session as they talk about ethics and law and order. One needs to be aware of such things when selling arms to Iran, illegal under international law at the time, to raise money to overthrow governments in Central American. Remind me of the hypocritical right's proud stance on law and order again? #walkaway

See. Any idiot can do that(dont worry, you're still a special kind of idiot). Mine is actually true though.

Last edited:
Haha not a boomer, find it interesting you would use it as a disparaging term while still giving trump, a boomer, the hero worship treatment.

You wanted to call me a child so I assumed you must be of that generation by default, no? I suppose throwing the formal "baby" in front of it may be more fitting for you considering, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT