ADVERTISEMENT

CrowdStrike crashing computers worldwide

Reminds me of when a windows update that made computers crash that printed to Kyocera/Ricoh/Lanier printers. Of the update that made a handful of HP Elitedesk PCs not boot and run their fans 100mph.

Of course this has a touch more impact.

There's some engineer at CrowdStrike that zigged when he should have zagged. The zig then got pushed out to everybody.

The Russians are probably in the clear on this one.
eo3_df.gif

Reactions: Moral
There's some engineer at CrowdStrike that zigged when he should have zagged. The zig then got pushed out to everybody.

The Russians are probably in the clear on this one.

...unless that "engineer" is named Igor, Ivan or Dimitri....

This is limited to CrowdStrike customers. If you are running the CrowdStrike Falcon agent (endpoint protection/antivirus) and you apply windows updates, your computer will blue screen (crash) when it tries to start.

If organizations have a good patching strategy in place, they would catch this issue before it hit their production servers.
Good patching strategies that are run properly and regularly are terrifyingly rare.

This is limited to CrowdStrike customers. If you are running the CrowdStrike Falcon agent (endpoint protection/antivirus) and you apply windows updates, your computer will blue screen (crash) when it tries to start.

If organizations have a good patching strategy in place, they would catch this issue before it hit their production servers.

It’s honestly scary how many don’t. Too many software guys with the “iterative development” strategy.

I have some clients with 5 NON-PROD environments.

Reactions: hawkifann
I can only imagine. Some day, when all this crap goes down world wide, me with a safe full of guns, a mod'd Jeep, and a folding map won't look so stupid. :cool:
My daughter, my sister and my sister in law are always playing this silly text game about building our survival supplies and what we have in our family “stash”. My sister had ammo made by this retired gun hobbyist privately so she’s not on some record somewhere that “the authorities” can access.
Yeah, she’s a little obsessed. 😏

Wouldn’t want to be their cyber carrier.

A buddy is ceo of an it company that he is turning around. They were not affected but their customers are all coming to them for help. Huge upselling opportunity for him.
Cyber insurance won't cover an employee mistake. Heck most of they time they'll work their hardest to not cover a cyber attack also.

it was a CrowdStrike software update to Microsoft operating systems, correct?
Not an update to the Windows OS. This was an update to the CrowdStrike Falcon software that runs on Windows OS. The fix removes a CrowdStrike file from a CrowdStrike directory. Microsoft's only fault in this is that they built an OS that allows other companies to take it down.(I hate defending Microsoft)

On WallStreetBets, a person posted a long rant about how CrowdStrike was significantly overvalued, less than 12 hours before all of this went down. The comments on it are a pretty good read as everyone rips into him to start with before calling him a genius.

I saw a good comment elsewhere that I'll paraphrase. Crowdstrike managed to get the government and many of the largest companies in the world to pay them for doing the damage to the free world that Russia, Iran, and North Korea could only hope to do.

Nothing sinister. CrowdStrike was simply doing a software security update for its customers who use Microsoft operating systems; there was something wrong with the software update, causing the crash.
If like to say this just showed some of these hacker nuts something new to exploit but honestly I think they already know it.

It’s honestly scary how many don’t. Too many software guys with the “iterative development” strategy.

I have some clients with 5 NON-PROD environments.
Everyone has at least one test environment. Only a select few can afford to have a true production environment. I guess CrowdStrike wasn't one of those.

Early weekend I guess, I can't imagine that our IT Department is going to get this fixed today. Looks like the Cubs play this afternoon

I still keep a Rand McNally Road Atlas in the car that I replace every few years, even though I haven't opened one in at least 15 years.
Me too. Plus I have an ability to find my way around with a good sense of direction- and if I’ve been somewhere once I recall how to get back there and to find my way.
I get a kick out of that Geico ad showing the couple who ended up sitting in a desolate spot after following their GPS into the desert.
Scary!

Reactions: HawCory
Early weekend I guess, I can't imagine that our IT Department is going to get this fixed today. Looks like the Cubs play this afternoon
Seems like it's a universal fix. You've got to go in through file explorer and delete one file, then restart. Once they put together the instructional email, you'll have to resume your workday. :(

I’m going to England next month. Hope this doesn’t happen again. I only have the guest room for two nights at Buckingham Palace…😜

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT