ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting the cable

Feb 9, 2018
I'm cutting the cable on TV. Looking for recommendations for internet TV (Hulu, Youtube, Sling, Amazon etc.). If you have any insight, I would appreciate if you would share it. Thanks in advance. 3-2-1 GO...

We had DTV for about 15 years, switched to Hulu Live TV in September, tried them first over YouTubeTV because Hulu has HGTV and Food Network which are big in our house.

I was able to DVR every Iowa Football game, had to watch one on the Fox Sports App (Illinois? it was on BTN overflow).

The DVR option isn't as intuitive as cable, and it has glitches...but we are saving over $100 a month, I've never regretted the switch.

Note I did run Cat6 cable to the 3 main tv's we watch so their is no connection issues.

Reactions: Rock_Star
YouTube TV. I've had it for several months now and I like it better than cable for 1/3 the price. Bought a Roku so I could watch local channels. You can use it on 3 devices at the same time, which will never happen in our household of two, so my son hooked it up and using it for free. DVR is simple. I've never missed anything I wanted to watch. Haven't found a downside yet. All for $40 a month.

You could utilize the search function and see the dozens of threads that have been started on this very subject.
Not everyone lives here...and most are actually contributing members of society...I get repeat threads are unacceptable (they are not, you didn't need to click on this and contribute, simply swipe or scroll past it). Posts trying to shame people for repeating topics are more annoying than redundant subject posts, as long as it isn't intentional or blatant.

Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
Not everyone lives here...and most are actually contributing members of society...I get repeat threads are unacceptable (they are not, you didn't need to click on this and contribute, simply swipe or scroll past it). Posts trying to shame people for repeating topics are more annoying than redundant subject posts, as long as it isn't intentional or blatant.
OK but it was the guy's first post. It's not like the information here is going to be any different than the other million post about the same thing on every other board.

But I do agree, ignore it if it bothers you that much.

I'm cutting the cable on TV. Looking for recommendations for internet TV (Hulu, Youtube, Sling, Amazon etc.). If you have any insight, I would appreciate if you would share it. Thanks in advance. 3-2-1 GO...
I’ve been w YouTube TV for six months.

We have a 40 MBPS WiFi serice and have had little to no issues w streaming several devices. It consumes 4 MBPS per WiFi stream from what I understand. I ran Ethernet cable to our three major TVs while we were remodeling so we don’t have to stream wirelessly to those larger TVs now.

I initially took the free one week test for YouTube TV six months back based on a recommendation and it exceeded my expectations. I cancelled our cable TV at the end of that week as our $110/month contract was long up.

There are other services that you can compare it to by Googling. I’m satisfied and not looking for a better service. My middle son had Sling, but is now freeloading off of me. You do have to have or establish a google account if you don’t already have a Gmail address. I don’t think those other services have local channels.

Some of the things I like:
- YouTube TV costs $40 month and you can share it w 5 additional “family members.” They are like separate free accounts with their own separate recording libraries. Check out the family sharing under tools. You send a link and once they accept they have full access and their own separate library. I have my whole immediate family and sister in law on my subscription.

- You can watch it on all your devices simultaneously with the app downloaded. I had to update to Apple TV’s 4th generation for each TV. ChromeCast is cheap and good alternative, but it ties up a device to stream it from. Some smart TVs can hook to the internet and download the app directly.

- It has 60 channels, News, Sports, including local channels. As you scroll through the channels it opens a window to show the title and what’s going on the channel live at the time. PBS is not on there which is available on a separate app in free YouTube which I also downloaded. It doesn’t have NFL red zone either, but I think you can get a separate app for that.

- The main menu has Library, Home, and Live. Home includes things recording and frequency watched. You can change the order of the channels to your preferences and delete channels never watched.

- It updates your local channels when you change locations if you want it to.

- The YouTube TV app is incredibly user friendly, easy to set up and intuitive.

- You can record all your favorite shows or subjects in the cloud. There is no limit to space or number recording at one time.

- Once set, it finds the game (if in their extensive channel lineup) automatically.

- The app has a Google-like search to find all things ISU coming up. You can have it alert you when a show is coming up.

- I watch a good share of financial news in CNBC and can watch...mostly listen to that on my iPhone or iPad wherever there is reasonably fast WiFi.

- Easy chat feature for help. Only needed it once when setting up the account.

- Very Reliable. Only had service interruptions once or twice.

That is all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rock_Star
OK but it was the guy's first post. It's not like the information here is going to be any different than the other million post about the same thing on every other board.

But I do agree, ignore it if it bothers you that much.
Many boards I sign up for have a lengthy disclosure about how to behave, search for existing topics...etc. Does this place have that, they didn't 20 years ago when I signed up, maybe it's changed...but the more annoying thing about this place is people act like db's/be snarky to people when in real life they wouldn't...which is why this place is a fraction of what it used to be.

Hence the search function @TylerJ76 mentioned

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/cord-cutting-help.244491/

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/cord-cutting-help.244491/

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/help-an-old-guy-cutting-the-cable-cord.236857/

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/cutting-the-cord.229458/

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/cutting-the-cord-revisited-i-finally-did-it.227393/

And that's just 2018 threads that use the word "cutting"

Many boards I sign up for have a lengthy disclosure about how to behave, search for existing topics...etc. Does this place have that, they didn't 20 years ago when I signed up, maybe it's changed...but the more annoying thing about this place is people act like db's/be snarky to people when in real life they wouldn't...which is why this place is a fraction of what it used to be.
I'm probably more polite here than at work. I must really like you guys.

YouTube TV. I've had it for several months now and I like it better than cable for 1/3 the price. Bought a Roku so I could watch local channels. You can use it on 3 devices at the same time, which will never happen in our household of two, so my son hooked it up and using it for free. DVR is simple. I've never missed anything I wanted to watch. Haven't found a downside yet. All for $40 a month.
Why did you think you need Roku to get local channels? I could watch local channels on my iPad or iPhone. You do need Apple TV, Roku, or ChromeCast to stream from a device to your tv, Or you can download the YouTube TV app to Apple TV or a smart tv. Check out my post above.

Also, there are 6 individual accounts that come with your subscription, so you don’t need to worry about sharing one account. Check out the family sharing under tools. You send a link and once they accept they have full access and their one library. I have my whole immediate family and sister in law on my subscription.

Last edited:
You tube TV dittos. Zero complaints. Has all I care to watch for very little cost. Streaming quality is head and shoulders better than Directv now. In my area locals are on it too.

Reactions: Gimmered
Is it a rule we don't post about topics already discussed here? I know it is on other boards and you sift through hundreds of pages of posts on some topics...or most likely stop after the first page.

I think we all have different expectations, and if someone posts a topic that seems familiar...maybe skip past it vs. feeling the urge to chime in being snarky about it being discussed already.

This topic in general, is pretty fluid, and I wouldn't expect anyone to sift through any of the previous topics in hopes they get the relevant answer they want and find that nothing has been added in awhile.

Plus most message board search features blow.

Reactions: haw-key
Is it a rule we don't post about topics already discussed here? I know it is on other boards and you sift through hundreds of pages of posts on some topics...or most likely stop after the first page.

I think we all have different expectations, and if someone posts a topic that seems familiar...maybe skip past it vs. feeling the urge to chime in being snarky about it being discussed already.

This topic in general, is pretty fluid, and I wouldn't expect anyone to sift through any of the previous topics in hopes they get the relevant answer they want.

Ok let's go over a few things here.

If you don't like how people respond, you know you could skip over those responses too. Right?

And you think its fluid enough that the six or so threads in the last 3 months (there is always a spike right before football season) have vastly different information? And its not sifting through. Most usually go a couple of pages and have the general same info.

It's avoiding clutter and redunceny. Its the same reason we don't like 10032839921301293 threads during the game. It makes it hard to follow or find the right discussion. It's also why we post "pepsi" when something has already been discussed. So we don't have to do it again.

Ok let's go over a few things here.

If you don't like how people respond, you know you could skip over those responses too. Right?

And you think its fluid enough that the six or so threads in the last 3 months (there is always a spike right before football season) have vastly different information? And its not sifting through. Most usually go a couple of pages and have the general same info.

It's avoiding clutter and redunceny. Its the same reason we don't like 10032839921301293 threads during the game. It makes it hard to follow or find the right discussion. It's also why we post "pepsi" when something has already been discussed. So we don't have to do it again.

Am I in the Lounge or the Off-topic board? because their are two very different expectations when posting. Again if this is an issue for the mods on the off topic board they need to put out the disclaimer to search for existing threads...similar to how they said post in the game-thread during games.

People will generally follow the rules, but if they don't exist, don't call out people for not following them. This board is a shit-show at best most the time, don't immediately turn people off on their first post because you were jilted by something they had no clue on.

Edit: if this place is really worried about redundancy then 85% of the posters need to stop posting because it's the same bs from them every day. The pepsi thing is stupid, and is only humorous for those of you that live here 24/7. The horror of 6 threads on the same topic in three months....ciggy posts 17 threads on same topic every weekday between 8:30 and 10:00 am.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Hey all...I come in peace. I am new to this site and did no know about the search feature. Thanks for all the replys from you that meant to help me out. A first post on a message board and I feel like I upset a bunch of you, not my intention. I will be more careful in the future, was just looking for guidance. My Bad.

We went with Hulu because it covers all the locals live. Too lazy to wire my house for OTA antenna. DVR is basically worthless with the on-demand stuff now and we paid the $4 extra for no commercials. No complaints, don’t miss cable/satellite.

Only issue I have is getting pissed when watching live sports and getting texts 40 seconds before the “big play” happens.

Suggesting the search function is shaming someone?

:rolleyes:

Reactions: HIWB and ANYCHawk
Hey all...I come in peace. I am new to this site and did no know about the search feature. Thanks for all the replys from you that meant to help me out. A first post on a message board and I feel like I upset a bunch of you, not my intention. I will be more careful in the future, was just looking for guidance. My Bad.

Don’t worry about it all.

Especially when it comes to ANYCHawk and Tyler. Two miserable posters that enjoy acting that way.

Still cannot get YouTube (or decent pizza) in the Quad Cities. If it is ever available, I plan to switch immediately. I can't think that they are losing sleep about adding the QC market, so I worry that it may never happen. I am more than willing to just get my local channels over the air, but they will not let me sign up.

You just have to understand HRot is filled with a bunch of snobby billionaires that have multiple supermodel women at their beck and call, That is why they are so angry all the time.

Am I in the Lounge or the Off-topic board? because their are two very different expectations when posting. Again if this is an issue for the mods on the off topic board they need to put out the disclaimer to search for existing threads...similar to how they said post in the game-thread during games.

People will generally follow the rules, but if they don't exist, don't call out people for not following them. This board is a shit-show at best most the time, don't immediately turn people off on their first post because you were jilted by something they had no clue on.

Edit: if this place is really worried about redundancy then 85% of the posters need to stop posting because it's the same bs from them every day. The pepsi thing is stupid, and is only humorous for those of you that live here 24/7. The horror of 6 threads on the same topic in three months....ciggy posts 17 threads on same topic every weekday between 8:30 and 10:00 am.

tenor.gif

Reactions: ANYCHawk
Why did you think you need Roku to get local channels? I could watch local channels on my iPad or iPhone. You do need Apple TV, Roku, or ChromeCast to stream from a device to your tv, Or you can download the YouTube TV app to Apple TV or a smart tv. Check out my post above.

Also, there are 6 individual accounts that come with your subscription, so you don’t need to worry about sharing one account. Check out the family sharing under tools. You send a link and once they accept they have full access and their one library. I have my whole immediate family and sister in law on my subscription.

I wanted the local channels on my TV, so I went with the Roku. I got the Rohu Ultra. It also had some other features that I liked, and its a one-time purchase, so I got one.

Tell me more about the family stuff - I knew I could add more people, but thought I was limited to 3 devices at the same time, even with more accounts. No?

I wanted the local channels on my TV, so I went with the Roku. I got the Rohu Ultra. It also had some other features that I liked, and its a one-time purchase, so I got one.

Tell me more about the family stuff - I knew I could add more people, but thought I was limited to 3 devices at the same time, even with more accounts. No?

How do you "get the locals" with a Roku Ultra? It doesn't have an ATSC OTA tuner.

My Cedar Rapids market ABC, NBC, ABC, and Fox locals come with YTTV no matter the device I use. The Roku doesn't supply them by itself. Now, the locals may have a Roku app I can download and access, but it's not like they supply all the alternative sub channels like a tuner would.

As for accounts and devices, this is from the website...

Phone:
Android L or later iPhone iOS 9.1 or later

Tablet:
iPad iOS 9.1 or later Android L or later Note: not currently available on Pixel C devices, but this is coming soon

Computer:
For the best YouTube TV viewing experience, download the latest version of Chrome.

TV:
Stream with Google Chromecast or download our app on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One and supported Samsung and LG TVs.

6 accounts per household
Your YouTube TV membership comes with 6 accounts to share with roommates or family members in your household. (Ages 13 and up.) Everyone gets their own login and personal DVR library. Up to 3 simultaneous streams are allowed per membership.

Its all good.
Nothing to be bothered/concerned about.
After getting set up with whatever company you decide to go with if you want suggestions on new shows to binge watch HROT has plenty of good suggestions. All you have to do is ask.

SINcerely,
THE_DEVIL

Still cannot get YouTube (or decent pizza) in the Quad Cities. If it is ever available, I plan to switch immediately. I can't think that they are losing sleep about adding the QC market, so I worry that it may never happen. I am more than willing to just get my local channels over the air, but they will not let me sign up.
I tried several times to sign up with an Omaha zip code and it told me need to be in that area to do it. I finally tried it with the Ashland zip code and it went through. That's the same zip code I use for my Google Fi phone, I don't know if that is why or not but I was able to do the trial. It gave me the Omaha locals. You might just try a different zip code and see if it will work.

There is another somewhat newer service through Silicone Dust Homerun OTA devices that is actually cheaper, and all the locals come through your antenna. The biggest drawbacks are it's not as sports channel friendly, and you need to buy a Homerun device to get it. I use a HD Homerun prime for cable but it requires a HD Connect or Extend. I have a DVR subscription with then that's about $35 a year. Their streaming service is still a work in progress as far as channels, but they will never have a problem with the rebroadcast fees that every other service will deal with.

How do you "get the locals" with a Roku Ultra? It doesn't have an ATSC OTA tuner.

My Cedar Rapids market ABC, NBC, ABC, and Fox locals come with YTTV no matter the device I use. The Roku doesn't supply them by itself. Now, the locals may have a Roku app I can download and access, but it's not like they supply all the alternative sub channels like a tuner would.

Ok. Got the set-up 6 months ago, so I may have forgotten the reasons why. o_O But I like the Roku - the remote is very simple to use and I think it streams 4k faster than my TV. Adding Apps is easy and well organized. I got one for each TV so they all work the same, and of course, the remote is the same. It has a voice remote and a button on the box to help you find the remote.

So, I'm sure you are correct - you don't need one. But, I like it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT