ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Daraun McKinney in the transfer portal

He was a CB.

Still, behind Castro, Belton, Harris, and Bracy.

Hopefully he finds what he's looking for elsewhere. You only get one time in college and totally understand guys wanting to play in whatever time they have.

In terms of what this does for Iowa, the transfers of the recent weeks are going to do nothing but hurt Iowa's grad rate for black players. I want all players to graduate, and one of the big findings from the internal investigation was that the grad rate for the Black players was abysmal. I am not blaming either the players or the school, but the fact of the matter is no matter the color, if a player from a long ways away from Iowa does not see the playing time they are wanting, they are more likely to transfer than a player from closer to Iowa City. Host of reasons for that, most notably that the player's support system is close by.

Best of luck to the young man.

Hopefully he finds what he's looking for elsewhere. You only get one time in college and totally understand guys wanting to play in whatever time they have.

In terms of what this does for Iowa, the transfers of the recent weeks are going to do nothing but hurt Iowa's grad rate for black players. I want all players to graduate, and one of the big findings from the internal investigation was that the grad rate for the Black players was abysmal. I am not blaming either the players or the school, but the fact of the matter is no matter the color, if a player from a long ways away from Iowa does not see the playing time they are wanting, they are more likely to transfer than a player from closer to Iowa City. Host of reasons for that, most notably that the player's support system is close by.

Because these guys were definitely going to graduate if they stayed? And if they don't attend the school, how does that calculate into the schools grad rate?

Which is why that stat is, well.......kinda bull sh**, in all honesty.

Because these guys were definitely going to graduate if they stayed? And if they don't attend the school, how does that calculate into the schools grad rate?
Pretty sure players that transfer or go pro early count against the graduation rate for their class.

Which is why that stat is, well.......kinda bull sh**, in all honesty.

Is there a “I’m not playing so I’m taking my ball and going home” stat? I totally get the concept of having a limited amount of time and only one college career but why this “counts” against a school is silly. And why it should matter the race or anything else of the kids is silly.

Kids have always transfered and even more so now with the portal and immediate eligibility, etc...

Here is our 2017 recruiting class 10 of 22 on roster this year

NAME
1Brandon SmithCurrent1
2Coy KirkpatrickCurrent2
3Daviyon NixonCurrent3
4Henry MarcheseCurrent4
5Ihmir Smith-MarsetteCurrent5
6Ivory Kelly-MartinCurrent6
7Mark KallenbergerCurrent7
8Matt HankinsCurrent8
9Max CooperCurrent9
10Ryan GersondeCurrent10
11Camron HarrellGone1
12Jacob CoonsGone2
13Josh TurnerGone3
14Kyshaun BryanGone4
15Levi DuwaGone5
16Nate WielandGone6
17Peyton MansellGone7
18Trey CreamerGone8
19Djimon ColbertOpt out1
20A.J. EpenesaPro1
21Geno StonePro2
22Tristan WirfsPro3

There will be more, especially this year. For any variety of reasons.

Not exactly earth shattering news.

But the depth chart at DB is getting alarming.

It's a cultural thing, but it's not limited to a single program or a single demographic or anything like that. Kids today have a "what can you do for me' attitude as opposed to "what can I do for you". Many of these kids overestimate their own skillsets and falsely believe that they are awarded playing time simply by showing up in practice.

Iowa doesn't get a ton of blue-chip recruits, but it gets plenty of high 3-star recruits that were often times the best player on the field, but maybe due to limited film footage, minimal competition, or lack of size they didn't get the P5 offers they were coveting. Iowa is often times the one and only P5 program that offers these kids, and Iowa has a reputation for taking marginal recruits and putting them in the NFL.

And one thing that works against Iowa is that the starters on both sides of the ball see the vast majority of the snaps. Very often, unless there's an injury, the starters remain on the field from start to finish because Iowa very rarely bludgeons its opponents (and in return, very rarely gets bludgeoned itself). This has to be frustrating for the backups because they're relegated to little more than cheerleaders most of the time.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Kids have always transfered and even more so now with the portal and immediate eligibility, etc...

Here is our 2017 recruiting class 10 of 22 on roster this year

NAME
1Brandon SmithCurrent1
2Coy KirkpatrickCurrent2
3Daviyon NixonCurrent3
4Henry MarcheseCurrent4
5Ihmir Smith-MarsetteCurrent5
6Ivory Kelly-MartinCurrent6
7Mark KallenbergerCurrent7
8Matt HankinsCurrent8
9Max CooperCurrent9
10Ryan GersondeCurrent10
11Camron HarrellGone1
12Jacob CoonsGone2
13Josh TurnerGone3
14Kyshaun BryanGone4
15Levi DuwaGone5
16Nate WielandGone6
17Peyton MansellGone7
18Trey CreamerGone8
19Djimon ColbertOpt out1
20A.J. EpenesaPro1
21Geno StonePro2
22Tristan WirfsPro3
Well, as far as we know, Colbert should be coming back next year, right?.........

Reactions: WSC72
Well, as far as we know, Colbert should be coming back next year, right?.........
I thought if he played this year he might go pro after the season. I think a large percentage of the upperclassmen that opted out were protecting themselves for the combine and draft. Linderbaum might be the only other guy that might leave early off the current roster

So that makes eight gone from the 2017 class and four from the 2018 class. Attrition isn't abating.

mediocre player wants to go someplace mediocre so he can play what's the big deal?

The really telling statistic would be to track how many of Iowa's transfers graduated from the school(s) to which they transferred.

If that number is significantly better, then Iowa definitely needs to "clean some things up" to use KF's own vernacular.

But if that grad rate is equally abysmal, then what we will have learned is that those individuals...absolutely regardless of race...effectively accepted a scholarship to Iowa and then to subsequent institution(s) to essentially "major" in football. And in that case none of the schools should be blamed for that person's individual choice not to take the "student" part of "student athlete" even the slightest bit seriously.

But why would the player not take responsibility for their own graduation? I was not a football player but struggled in my first semester. Did a SWAT team from the university show up at my dorm room to help me? No.
I realize that the player has to give a lot of his time for football, but why would the player not be responsible for graduating? One of the issues with where our society is headed. No accountability. Blame someone else.

I think Iowa will start to be more of a player in the transfer portal world as well. I will be ok with guys down in the depth charts transferring to G5 schools if we in return take some transfers from P5 schools.

Reactions: IAROY
It's a cultural thing, but it's not limited to a single program or a single demographic or anything like that. Kids today have a "what can you do for me' attitude as opposed to "what can I do for you". Many of these kids overestimate their own skillsets and falsely believe that they are awarded playing time simply by showing up in practice.

Iowa doesn't get a ton of blue-chip recruits, but it gets plenty of high 3-star recruits that were often times the best player on the field, but maybe due to limited film footage, minimal competition, or lack of size they didn't get the P5 offers they were coveting. Iowa is often times the one and only P5 program that offers these kids, and Iowa has a reputation for taking marginal recruits and putting them in the NFL.

And one thing that works against Iowa is that the starters on both sides of the ball see the vast majority of the snaps. Very often, unless there's an injury, the starters remain on the field from start to finish because Iowa very rarely bludgeons its opponents (and in return, very rarely gets bludgeoned itself). This has to be frustrating for the backups because they're relegated to little more than cheerleaders most of the time.
Very good post. I missed the 2nd half...did guys like Jestin Jacobs and Sebastian Castro get a good chunk of playing time on D in the 4th quarter?

My understanding is this year doesn’t count as a year of eligibility so this would open doors to keep players who would otherwise be gone, one extra year.

Players on the move is likely to be on the increase all over, not just at Iowa.

A smart staff would look at this as something that could be taken advantage of if managed properly.

Reactions: RomanHawk
These kids want to play now or transfer to a school that has a spot for them. Add in Iowa is recruiting better talent so these things happen.

Players on the move is likely to be on the increase all over, not just at Iowa.

A smart staff would look at this as something that could be taken advantage of if managed properly.

From a pure roster management standpoint, guys not on the two-deep leaving are not huge issues. It happens at Iowa, it happens most everywhere. From the standpoint of raising the grad rate for black players, it's not good. 4 players already since the season started.

Reactions: hawkosx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT