ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Wannstedt says he has heard ISU and Kansas to Big Ten

Yeah I just can’t believe it either. Like how could every other source on this be so wrong. I don’t know much about Wannstedt but I also can’t believe he would just make up the story. Like some meeting must have taken place where they were talking about the merits of the different schools and which ones would fit where. I don’t think anyone disagrees that if you had to find homes for the Big8 schools something like what he describes makes geographic sense. But are all of the other schools OK making less money just so teams don’t get orphaned?
Its like someone coming here and reading our hot takes. And then going home and telling people what they heard.

charity. do the "right" thing. Its wrong but I could totally see U Prezs coming to that decision. We are all united kind of thing with 56 teams or whatever it would be.
This. This would be the only reason. That they somehow see it as a higher calling to rescue these orphans.

Reactions: hawkfeever
Obviously this would be counter to what every other source out there is saying so it surprises me how much conviction he seems to have about this. Here is a link to the audio clip, it’s about 30 seconds long but he basically says he was in a meeting recently with conference people there that were talking about splitting up the Big 8 leftovers and it’s going to be OSU and KSU to Pac12, WV to the ACC, and ISU and KU to the Big Ten.

Boo!!!!

interesting.

so, maybe the PAC 12 stays put, too.

I guess that means the remaining 8 of the Big 12 have some decisions to make. Wait this thing out for the next 4 years or bail for a Group of 5 conference.
They can do adds right? They could add to the conference but just can't depart or disband? If they were adding do Texas and Oklahoma still get votes, lol?

Notice how many times in the press release they mention "current" scheduling arrangements. Once those "current" contracts are up they will be done and we're scheduling ACC/PAC teams. Love it. Once this takes effect there is no reason to schedule ISU unless it's a one off game every 4-5 years or so at Kinnick.

If Barta re-ups a contract sending Iowa to Ames for a game he's going to hear about it from a lot of angry Iowa fans.
There will be revolt. Once every 4 years or so in Kinnick would be fine.

Tell us where the clones rank in contributions from their loyal fans in the B12.

I expect crickets as a response back from you.
Have no clue and really don’t care as that’s one of many components of the equation.

And frankly I doubt that your contribution is any more than a hot dog off a free ticket you get once every four years.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Have no clue and really don’t care as that’s one of many components of the equation.

And frankly I doubt that your contribution is any more than a hot dog off a free ticket you get once every four years.
C'mon you have a clue!!! You know the answer.

Reactions: doughuddl2
But isu isn't just a stray, it is a three legged mutt.
ISU is hardly anybody's crown jewel, but the remnants of the B12 really bring a whole bunch of nothing.

OK State has a solid athletic department, but cannot escape OU's shadow. It's not like Alabama-Auburn where Aubie fans make up 40% of the state. Cowboy fans are lucky to make up 20.

Texas Tech is a complete afterthought in its own state, let alone in the conference. Lubbock is located in the middle of nowhere, and people only talk about them because of Mike Leach and Bobby Knight. It's #3 in the pecking order, but really it might as well be Wyoming because it doesn't have a lot of "sidewalk" fans - the bulk of its fans are alumni, and even then a lot of them probably pull for UT or A&M first.

Baylor is a private school in one of the worst cities in the country. Only good thing to come out of Waco is one Hayden Fry. Maybe the smallest fan base (along with TCU) in the Big 12.

TCU - see Baylor. Gary Patterson's magic must be wearing off because they haven't been as successful lately. It's clear that the school has pretty limited resources since now they have to directly compete with Texas, OU, A&M, and other big boys. It's very tough for a small private school with limited resources.

West Virginia - kind of an outlier. Like oSu, it's usually at least decent in the money sports, and is the only P5 program in a very small state. It has access to East Coast recruits that other B12 schools might not get, but going from the old Big East to the Big 12 was certainly a jump in weight class as they struggle to be anything other than mid-tier. They do have a decent sized fan base but probably not big enough to attract the attention of the ACC, unless they're desperate.

Kansas and K-State - these two have been tied to the hip for a good long while. Kansas just saw one rival depart, could it throw away another big game? Obviously these schools are fueled by hoops more than football (particularly KU), but K-State has at least put forth the effort to field a competitive team. They have had their ups and downs lately, but haven't been truly awful since before Wild Bill came around. Kansas doesn't even try at football. They may get people to watch their basketball games, but football is what drives expansion and I don't think either will be serious targets for the B1G. KU is one of just two schools (the other being ISU) that carries the prestigious AAU status, but might be better suited for the PAC where they don't feel obligated to try and one-up the SEC. The PAC is hampered geographically as it can't expand further west, only east, and there just aren't a lot of schools in the western 1/3rd of the country. They can't be as choosy as the B1G or the ACC.

And finally ISU. They are legitimately trying at football and that can't be understated. They have the AAU status. They likely even have some Hawk and Husker fans that moonlight as Clone fans when their main team isn't playing. But they just don't have the 'it' factor that drives conference expansion. They aren't Texas and Oklahoma. They're not Notre Dame. They're not even a 'sleeping giant' like North Carolina or Virginia. They are severely hampered by demographics, geography, and history. They could just as easily be on KU's level right now, but they're not. All I can say is keep being a factor until the fat lady sings, and maybe something good will happen. B1G isn't a likely destination, even though it makes the most sense geographically. But it's not a zero percent chance. The PAC might come calling, or perhaps the AAC with all of P5 benefits.

The Pac 12 will have a decision to make on if they want to add 2 teams that are closer regionally, such as a Boise State and BYU, or reach for one of the Texas schools or Oklahoma State.

Kansas, K-State, and ISU have no chance at the Pac 12 and it's pointless to speculate otherwise.

West Virginia is probably more in trouble than people think if neither the ACC nor the Big Ten choose to expand. Their only bet if the Big 12 folds is to go to the AAC, which would actually be a boost for the AAC, but it's not a needle mover nationally.....

The easiest (and SMARTEST) decision would be for the Big 12 to convince teams like Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and a UCF or an SMU etc to join and boost the conference back to 12 teams.

Lost in all this is the fact that the Big 12 still has its Power 5 charter and won't even lose it when Texas and Oklahoma leave. The conference HAS to dissolve/fold from within. So adding those teams would actually, technically, be a step up for those programs, that (let's be honest) are no lesser programs than say Rutgers or Vanderbilt or Boston College or Oregon State.

The problem with that is that on the surface, it would seem the AAC wants to stay together and they seem to think they hold some power here (remember the accusations by Bowlsby about ESPN colluding with the AAC).

I think those teams (arguably outside of UCF just because of the travel logistics) would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to join the Big 12 while its still a Power 5 conference. But we're living in times where a lot of people in power are making really f***ing stupid decisions just for the sake of change and then spending all their time trying to justify those stupid decisions as if they're still even trying to convince themselves that what they're doing is right (when common sense tells anyone with a f***ing brain that it's not)...........

The other aspect that hurts the Big 12 is the nonsensical issue of TV contracts. Why these TV execs would choose to act like they hold some power over an athletic conference is just asinine to me. I can't wrap my head around how hard it would be for the Big 12 to simply say "to hell with ESPN, we'll make a deal with CBS and Fox Sports/FS1 to showcase our games. Maybe even break into the streaming services like a Hulu or an Amazon Prime."

They may not get as much money as they once did from ESPN, but it would be a better option than completely folding and sending the 8 Big 12 teams to the wind.

And lastly, the Big 12 needs to start thinking about highlighting some of the sports they are the strongest in.

When basketball rolls around, if say the Big 12 adds Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and whoever else to get to 12, is ESPN really gonna be so petty to just completely ignore them.........because of what happened with football?

Those 3 schools have VERY strong basketball backgrounds, and you add them to one of the strongest conferences from top to bottom in the country (not to mention being the home to the defending national champion), that is essentially the midwest version of the Big East, which ESPN fell in love with and pushed as a basketball power despite not having a strong football conference, and eventually no conference at all.

The answers are right there in front of these people in power, but pettiness and stupidity are the current trends for those that make the decisions...........

Last edited:
Yes, adding a top ten football team coming off a previous Fiesta Bowl Championship season….weakens” the West Division.

You can argue the money…but you lose any argument on the topics of on field competiveness, cultural fit, and academics. Adding ISU makes the West much better in football than in its current configuration. Which current West Div teams are currently in the Top Ten?

Please......

Your whole season last year was pretty fluky. ISU caught a lot of breaks that went their way. OU without their best players 1st go around. Fiesta Bowl was weak sauce against 4-3 Oregon team.

The Pac 12 will have a decision to make on if they want to add 2 teams that are closer regionally, such as a Boise State and BYU, or reach for one of the Texas schools or Oklahoma State.

Kansas, K-State, and ISU have no chance at the Pac 12 and it's pointless to speculate otherwise.

West Virginia is probably more in trouble than people think if neither the ACC nor the Big Ten choose to expand. Their only bet if the Big 12 folds is to go to the AAC, which would actually be a boost for the AAC, but it's not a needle mover nationally.....

The easiest (and SMARTEST) decision would be for the Big 12 to convince teams like Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and a UCF or an SMU etc to join and boost the conference back to 12 teams.

Lost in all this is the fact that the Big 12 still has its Power 5 charter and won't even lose it when Texas and Oklahoma leave. The conference HAS to dissolve/fold from within. So adding those teams would actually, technically, be a step up for those programs, that (let's be honest) are no lesser programs than say Rutgers or Vanderbilt or Boston College or Oregon State.

The problem with that is that on the surface, it would seem the AAC wants to stay together and they seem to think they hold some power here (remember the accusations by Barta about ESPN colluding with the AAC).

I think those teams (arguably outside of UCF just because of the travel logistics) would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to join the Big 12 while its still a Power 5 conference. But we're living in times where a lot of people in power are making really f***ing stupid decisions just for the sake of change and then spending all their time trying to justify those stupid decisions as if they're still even trying to convince themselves that what they're doing is right (when common sense tells anyone with a f***ing brain that it's not)...........

The other aspect that hurts the Big 12 is the nonsensical issue of TV contracts. Why these TV execs would choose to act like they hold some power over an athletic conference is just asinine to me. I can't wrap my head around how hard it would be for the Big 12 to simply say "to hell with ESPN, we'll make a deal with CBS and Fox Sports/FS1 to showcase our games. Maybe even break into the streaming services like a Hulu or an Amazon Prime."

They may not get as much money as they once did from ESPN, but it would be a better option than completely folding and sending the 8 Big 12 teams to the wind.

And lastly, the Big 12 needs to start thinking about highlighting some of the sports they are the strongest in.

When basketball rolls around, if say the Big 12 adds Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and whoever else to get to 12, is ESPN really gonna be so petty to just completely ignore them.........because of what happened with football?

Those 3 schools have VERY strong basketball backgrounds, and you add them to one of the strongest conferences from top to bottom in the country (not to mention being the home to the defending national champion), that is essentially the midwest version of the Big East, which ESPN fell in love with and pushed as a basketball power despite not having a strong football conference, and eventually no conference at all.

The answers are right there in front of these people in power, but pettiness and stupid are the current trends for those that make the decisions...........
I am a bit concerned about your post and Fezzador's post. I don't agree with everything in either of them, but they appear to be written by grownups. I think I have stumbled on a board that I didn't know existed.

I am a bit concerned about your post and Fezzador's post. I don't agree with everything in either of them, but they appear to be written by grownups. I think I have stumbled on a board that I didn't know existed.
Well, I did turn 35 today so I suppose I should start acting like a grown-up at some point....... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u

The problem with that is that on the surface, it would seem the AAC wants to stay together and they seem to think they hold some power here (remember the accusations by Barta about ESPN colluding with the AAC).

The answers are right there in front of these people in power, but pettiness and stupid are the current trends for those that make the decisions...........

This is a solid post.

Well, I did turn 35 today so I suppose I should start acting like a grown-up at some point....... ;)
Don't rush into anything. I don't always act like a grownup where sports is concerned and I'm a little past 35.

By the way, happy birthday. And don't put off doing today what you might not be physically capable of doing later. Trust me on this. At 75, I have accepted the fact that I'll never scale Mt. Everest.

The problem with that is that on the surface, it would seem the AAC wants to stay together and they seem to think they hold some power here (remember the accusations by Bowlsby about ESPN colluding with the AAC).

The answers are right there in front of these people in power, but pettiness and stupidity are the current trends for those that make the decisions...........
What the heck is a "Power 5 charter?" The only thing that makes a conference a "Power" conference is the huge size of it's tv contracts compared to the G5. The B12 has them through '25, but won't afterwards, regardless of who they add.

Not an NCAA term

Happy birthday.

Hope your day was filled with delicious bananas!

YT_THUMB.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT