ADVERTISEMENT

Davenport coach alleges racist comments by basketball refs

Do you ever get tired of trying to gender reassign children? Move on man stay away of schools.
insane-bradpitt.gif

I’m not going to look for it Abby. Everyone who read it knows it’s out there and you do too.
If it's out there as you claim, than prove it. You know you made it up and you aren't even man enough to admit it. You are so disgusting that you don't even know when to stop.

Let's make a deal, if you can't show us one single example where I said what you claim, then never bring it up again. Do you even have that much class to admit you're wrong?

Sooooo did these refs actually use racial slurs at the Dav. North staff?

It appears this thread has derailed - shocker-

Any new revelations?

Reactions: QChawks
Sooooo did these refs actually use racial slurs at the Dav. North staff?

It appears this thread has derailed - shocker-

Any new revelations?
No. This story will just drift away like the July 4th parade story

If it's out there as you claim, than prove it. You know you made it up and you aren't even man enough to admit it. You are so disgusting that you don't even know when to stop.

Let's make a deal, if you can't show us one single example where I said what you claim, then never bring it up again. Do you even have that much class to admit you're wrong?
I’m not wrong Abby, and I’m not going to waste my time with you. You’re a terrible person and you outed yourself at that. Carry on with yourself.

No. This story will just drift away like the July 4th parade story
It would be editorial malfeasance for the Quad City Times to not do a follow up story, regardless of outcome.

Unfortunately, that has never stopped that publication before.

I would absolutely require the reporter who wrote the initial story to follow up on it and keep digging to find out whether the claims were legit or bullshit.

Sure I do. You think because you are liberal and a teacher that you can't be racist. You are a racist.
You would be wrong. You can't find one piece of evidence to that. What I KNOW, is that you vote with the racists. You support racist people by your vote. Your whole style of arguing reads the way a man falling out of a tree looks.

There is also a lot of incompetent fans.

Are you saying officiating is better in the club circuit?

There are horrible refs in AAU ball.

I have to explain this to my girls all the time. AAU refs have games scheduled back to back to back. They are on the clock and have to keep games moving so there isn't a log jam. They won't call so many fouls. Despite calling two timeouts and every speech between quarters about moving your feet and not reaching (especially 30+ feet from the basket) I ended with one girl fouling out and 3 others with 4 fouls in a school ball game.

That said, there are terrible refs everywhere. Very few are really good or consistent but that's all you can find. Thank them no matter what because the game is close to being in trouble due to official shortages.

Reactions: WSC72
Happy to answer but I don’t see the relevance as I’ve not made a single comment regarding the veracity of the accusations.

1. We moved when my oldest was a senior at PV. I’d wanted them to go to Dav Central, but Mrs. Torbee is a PV grad and wanted her kids to go to the same school she did, so I lost that argument 🙂

2. I wasn’t there and the coach didn’t agree to give details to the local media, so I am withholding any judgment until more details emerge. In my years with kids playing sports around here, I’ve never seen officials be racist. I have seen plenty of parents, in particular PV and North Scott parents, be racist though. I’d be more worried about deplorable parents than officials personally.

@torbee

Sorry I missed this -- I am always genuinely curious as to the decisions people make around schools given that my oldest of 3 is just a kindergartener this year.

One more question -- what was the reasoning for preferring your kids go to Davenport Central as opposed to PV?

I have no dog in the fight (never lived in the QC), but I've been told PV is the best school district in Iowa. Curious as to whether that's not really the case, or whether you had other considerations.

@torbee

Sorry I missed this -- I am always genuinely curious as to the decisions people make around schools given that my oldest of 3 is just a kindergartener this year.

One more question -- what was the reasoning for preferring your kids go to Davenport Central as opposed to PV?

I have no dog in the fight (never lived in the QC), but I've been told PV is the best school district in Iowa. Curious as to whether that's not really the case, or whether you had other considerations.
Knowing a few PV teachers...that district has its own issues. It's far from perfect. Not Torbee but Central is a very good school. Both my kids graduated from North and their dual enrollment program saved us thousands of college dollars.

@torbee

His kids didn't go to Central.

They moved back to the Dirty D after their kids graduated, I believe.

My daughter(no pics)is currently a Freshman at Central and it has, so far, been great.

Boy #3(no pics) graduated from Central last year and it was less great for him, but he has always been one to learn lessons via mistake rather than just taking good advice in the first place.

Overall, a positive experience.

That said, a coworker's daughter(no pics) is in her first year at PV after being in Davenport schools her whole life and they have been blown away by the resources afforded to the students and the overall attitude towards learning in the building.

Reactions: torbee
@torbee

I went to a more diverse school district in Madison for two years and then transferred to Bettendorf for my final two years. Dated a girl from Central my junior and senior year and just liked the vibe of Central more than Bettendorf, which felt like a country club type school to me compared to my school in Madison. That said, it was 25 or so years ago now. My kids got a good education at PV, but I’m still not a fan of the overall Bettendorf/PV vibe.

His kids didn't go to Central.

They moved back to the Dirty D after their kids graduated, I believe.

My daughter(no pics)is currently a Freshman at Central and it has, so far, been great.

Boy #3(no pics) graduated from Central last year and it was less great for him, but he has always been one to learn lessons via mistake rather than just taking good advice in the first place.

Overall, a positive experience.

That said, a coworker's daughter(no pics) is in her first year at PV after being in Davenport schools her whole life and they have been blown away by the resources afforded to the students and the overall attitude towards learning in the building.
good to hear, our kids go to a private K-8 school so we'll need to be picking HS here in a few years. Right now I would learn towards Central I think unless we move to Bett/PV district, which I'm trying to talk Mrs QC out of doing.

Reactions: HawCory and torbee
The issues with PV are the incredible amount of Karens. Been like that forever. The others stigmas around PV are pretty much false and honestly people just love to hate on PV imo

• Love
The issues with PV are the incredible amount of Karens. Been like that forever. The others stigmas around PV are pretty much false and honestly people just love to hate on PV imo
Eh, the ridiculous importance put on sports is not false. Now, PV also has excellent music, drama and arts education, but I find the jock culture over there to be eye-rolling.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I went to a more diverse school district in Madison for two years and then transferred to Bettendorf for my final two years. Dated a girl from Central my junior and senior year and just liked the vibe of Central more than Bettendorf, which felt like a country club type school to me compared to my school in Madison. That said, it was 25 or so years ago now. My kids got a good education at PV, but I’m still not a fan of the overall Bettendorf/PV vibe.

Uh, Bettendorf has its own issues now. That district isn't having the most success right now.

I see what you are getting at. While PV is probably the "best" in terms of programs, resources, and overall academic rigor, sounds like you were interested in a different cultural experience than PV. It's tough to thread the needle between academic excellence, resources, safety, and culture/spirit of the school. No place gets an "A" for everything.

Yeah, I’m going to need proof of this. You can’t call it out, state there’s proof, then decline to share said proof.
I don’t give a shit if you didn’t see it either. I’ve been calling Abby out on it since the day it happened and plenty of others saw it too. If you’re worried about it look through their profile.

I don’t give a shit if you didn’t see it either. I’ve been calling Abby out on it since the day it happened and plenty of others saw it too. If you’re worried about it look through their profile.
Then link it. You can’t call someone out and your only back up is “it’s there and others saw it too”. Saw what? What was said?

Then link it. You can’t call someone out and your only back up is “it’s there and others saw it too”. Saw what? What was said?
Torbee linked the thread to you twice In here. The thread is about a gop member wanting interracial marriage legality to be decided by each state, Abby compared it to immigration being controlled on a federal level. We had had previous discussions where Abby was calling immigration a disaster of course.Abby was saying Alabama and California have different priorities of what is right and should be able to decide. You can decide what Abby is saying for yourself but I don’t give a shit what you think I know abby is a cretin.

Start at post #12 and keep reading. The dude is disgusting:

I believe I read through all of @abby97 posts in that thread, all 4 pages, and no where does he say he supports any ban on interracial marriages. what post number are you referring to?
His entire argument appears to be states rights over federal, the constitution is what it is, the left throws out the term racist quite callously when others have different viewpoints.

I believe I read through all of @abby97 posts in that thread, all 4 pages, and no where does he say he supports any ban on interracial marriages. what post number are you referring to?
His entire argument appears to be states rights over federal, the constitution is what it is, the left throws out the term racist quite callously when others have different viewpoints.
Lol

Gee what state right is he arguing for in that thread?

Not much of an update, but this story has two more sources that allege they heard the same thing the coach did, of course they are also part of the Davenport North contingent. Supposedly the district continues to investigate:

Little confused about if the n word was used, any clarity on that

I have to explain this to my girls all the time. AAU refs have games scheduled back to back to back. They are on the clock and have to keep games moving so there isn't a log jam. They won't call so many fouls. Despite calling two timeouts and every speech between quarters about moving your feet and not reaching (especially 30+ feet from the basket) I ended with one girl fouling out and 3 others with 4 fouls in a school ball game.

That said, there are terrible refs everywhere. Very few are really good or consistent but that's all you can find. Thank them no matter what because the game is close to being in trouble due to official shortages.

One thing I've seen multiple times...

Generally speaking (meaning there are exceptions), the bigger, wealthier the school and the closer to suburbs/big cities, the better the reffing. The further away from those areas and the smaller the schools, the worse the reffing.

TBF, I don't expect the same from HS/Jr High refs that I do from college/pro refs. But not everyone can say that with honesty. As long as they are somewhat consistent and call the major things properly, while missing a questionable travel or foul, I'm good.

Also, I can't tell you the number of times I've tried explaining to other fans what a travel is, a reach is, that over the back isn't and basic rules that people tend to yell (incorrectly) at refs about.

The article doesn’t indicate that word was used or any other racial slur.
He said “we aren’t the n word” so wasn’t sure if he is implying that they used it or is he referring to himself. I agree the other words weren’t racist at all, inappropriate sure but would want to get the whole perspective. I have sworn at a coach before but that was after all other means were done to get the game under control

One thing I've seen multiple times...

Generally speaking (meaning there are exceptions), the bigger, wealthier the school and the closer to suburbs/big cities, the better the reffing. The further away from those areas and the smaller the schools, the worse the reffing.

TBF, I don't expect the same from HS/Jr High refs that I do from college/pro refs. But not everyone can say that with honesty. As long as they are somewhat consistent and call the major things properly, while missing a questionable travel or foul, I'm good.

Also, I can't tell you the number of times I've tried explaining to other fans what a travel is, a reach is, that over the back isn't and basic rules that people tend to yell (incorrectly) at refs about.

Agree on all of that. And explaining to the players as well.

Reactions: SSG T
Little confused about if the n word was used, any clarity on that
This source, Aticia Coney, said she heard it:

Coney has a son on Davenport North’s basketball team and was at the game that night.

“It was disgusting, to say the least. If you have those words in your vocabulary, we never had a chance at the beginning of the game. You already had your mind made up about us,” Coney says. “And we aren’t the n-word. So, you saying that, that’s ridiculous.”

Aticia Coney says the referees need to be held accountable. As a witness who was at the game, she can attest to the words that were said to Coach Davis.

“Nobody’s making this up. This is happening. And they need to have refs that will hold each other accountable.”

I would be very interested to hear from a non-player parent or an equally unbiased observer though before drawing any definitive conclusions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT