ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Christie Sides,

Christie Sides was never a head coach until last year. This is her second year. Some claim she didn't even want the job, and that she had to be convinced. I definitely have not been impressed, and it's looking like the Fever franchise may have a tough decision to make rather soon. Some people just aren't meant to be head coaches.
A better coach was sitting outside watching the game yesterday.

I don't understand the criticism of this Coach. She is a professional basketball coach who has forgot more about basketball than any of us know.

Give it a rest...
Obviously we are reacting hastily but in two games she has managed to come off annoyed on any questions directed to her about Clark, publicly said Clark needs to break habbits that made her a star, she sat her on the bench to start the 4th Q in their first game once their best defender went out hurt, she has her camping in the corner instead of bringing the ball down the court.

Hopefully they get better and the stuff she forgot comes back to her otherwise she won't last long

I'm not serious about calling for her to be fired (yet) because it is way too soon for that. I'm just shocked at how poorly coached they seem to be right now and I am quickly losing any confidence that she is going to be able to turn it around. You'd think the players that were on the team last year would look like they know what they are trying to accomplish out there but I haven't seen that yet. I'm not convinced that she even knows what she wants these players to be doing out there so of course they can't execute it.

I have a pretty defined rep as someone who doesn’t call out the coaches constantly, but this is a baffling scenario to me. I don’t get what they are doing. In some instances a team is so dynamic on defense that they force you out of what you’re trying to do offensively but I have no freaking clue what Indiana is even trying to do offensively. Nor do I think they do…

And I even get playing Clark off the ball from time to time. Hell Bluder did it at Iowa. But you either signed this girl, CC to run your team… In which case she needs the ball in her hands most of the time and she needs to be in charge of learning how to set her teammates up and get her own offense from there…..

OR

you signed her because she is instant offense and you’re playing her off the ball to run her through screens and do everything you can to get her the ball in space.

Neither, is a coaching problem?

OMG you can't be this damn stupid? over rated CC the best college player ever?

Dude get your head out of your rear and get a clue...the more you post the easier it is to see you have no CLUE about the game of bball...maybe until you do STFU and just go away!!!
The overrated player is top 5 in the league in scoring and assists, top 20 rebounding and only one other player has hit more threes.

The team stinks, can't finish (a few lost assists) can't seem to handle half their passes (made by anybody), does not block out defensively and doesn't push the ball
Is CC, at this point, the greatest women's basketball player of all-time? No.

Have a ton of people said that she is? Yes.

This equates to overrating. This isn't hard

the lakers also ran a lot--showtime right? that offense should be what the fever want to emulate..
I agree.

But for clarification, the showtime Lakers were in the 80's. Phil's teams ran the very disciplined and detailed triangle offense

Some of you people are kinda stupid, IMHO. The Fever is a horrible team coached by an even worse coach. Most of the time, even the greatest players take some time to get established at the next level. And when their own organization does everything to make that transition as difficult as possible, you have CC and the Indiana Fever.

And anyone who thinks two games is plenty of time to draw conclusions about CC's pro career is obviously a moron, IMHO of course. LOL
The only conclusion drawn was that, at this point, CC is not the greatest women's basketball player of all-time

Just stop? Sigh. Let me guess- you used to be a drill sergeant? ? Anyway, the reason that I can see she's not overrated is exactly as you said: I haven't been under a rock for two years, as you apparently have. And you very obviously don't know the game, When a player jumps to the next level, no matter how great they were on college, there is a major adjustment and learning curve. She's two games into that adjustment phase. Judging a player based on two games of her career at the next level makes no sense whatsoever.
Read better

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
The only conclusion drawn was that, at this point, CC is not the greatest women's basketball player of all-time

Dude, I mostly get you, and I think we typically track pretty well. You are solid poster and you get tired of the stupidity from shortsighted people I get it…

I also get the constant bitching about the coaches. I think you and I share an opinion on that and it’s not just our coaches it’s any coach, right? It’s exhausting…

With that said CC could be struggling, she is, and there could be continued growing pains, and they’re likely will be… But it could also be true that an organization that have had plenty of time to ramp up for her coming out party, looks woefully inept and out of sync, in “what?!” They are trying to do.

I also didn’t expect the rest of the team to be that disorganized. Can you honestly tell
Me what they are trying to do?

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Dude, I mostly get you, and I think we typically track pretty well. You are solid poster and you get tired of the stupidity from shortsighted people I get it…

I also get the constant bitching about the coaches. I think you and I share an opinion on that and it’s not just our coaches it’s any coach, right? It’s exhausting…

With that said CC could be struggling, she is, and there could be continued growing pains, and they’re likely will be… But it could also be true that an organization that have had plenty of time to ramp up for her coming out party, looks woefully inept and out of sync, in “what?!” They are trying to do.

I also didn’t expect the rest of the team to be that disorganized. Can you honestly tell
Could be. Time will tell

You weren't asking me, but I have been trying to figure that out and still have no clue. Even when CC is on the bench, it seems like the players on the floor don't have a clear understanding of the offense they are supposed to be trying to run. There is a lot of standing around. Not much team effort at rebounding. It is really an odd offense to watch.

The Fever have CC's rights for 4 seasons (thru the 2027 season). She then becomes a restricted free agent.

After the 2027 season: once a restricted qualifying offer is extended by the Fever, it makes Caitlin a restricted free agent unless the Fever decides to revoke it. Caitlin could sign that deal. However, restricted free agents are allowed to negotiate freely with any team in the WNBA including their previous team, but their previous team has what is called the 'right of first refusal.' This means that the Fever will be given the opportunity to match a contract that the restricted free agent has agreed to in principle with another team. That agreement is known as an offer sheet in the CBA. If the Fever matches the offer sheet, then Caitlin signs with the Fever at the terms offered by the other team.

Reactions: cmhawks99
You weren't asking me, but I have been trying to figure that out and still have no clue. Even when CC is on the bench, it seems like the players on the floor don't have a clear understanding of the offense they are supposed to be trying to run. There is a lot of standing around. Not much team effort at rebounding. It is really an odd offense to watch.

Yes…you would expect it to be at least as fluid without the Rookie PG. But if anything there is even more confusion & stagnation

I don't understand the criticism of this Coach. She is a professional basketball coach who has forgot more about basketball than any of us know.

Give it a rest...
Here is her coaching history. This is her first HC job ever.

2000–2002Ruston High School (assistant)
2002–2004Louisiana Tech(assistant)
2004–2007LSU (assistant)
2007–2013Spartak Moscow(assistant)
2011–2016Chicago Sky (assistant)
2016–2017Northwestern (ass. HC)
2017–2019Indiana Fever(assistant)
2019–2022Louisiana–Monroe (ass. HC)
2022Atlanta Dream(assistant)
2023–presentIndiana Fever

Reactions: spiderland
Communicate better. What does your lecturing having to do with Sides doing a shitty job?
Your mischaracterizations of my posts aside, am I obligated to share the opinions of others? You make your contributions to the thread, I make mine.

I'd like to think my contributions add some much needed perspective. Caitlin's adjustment period to the league was completely predictable. We would be seeing it, to some degree, no matter who her coach and teammates were.

Also completely predictable was the fan overreaction to this adjustment period. Much of what these fans are saying may have its truth. But it's early, and for the reasons I've stated, overall it has been an overreaction.

Caitlin's start hasn't been what a lot of you have expected. But much of that is because these expectations come from a place of these fans having a limited idea of what they're talking about. I've used the example of the many who have thought CC is the greatest women's basketball player of all-time (yes, including pros and Olympians). So naturally, there's going to be an intense reaction when they realize that CC is not that player, at least yet. And of course, they aren't going to chalk up the difference to their own wrong ranking and wrong expectations.

Pretty much every day on this board there's some goof calling for some coach's job. Although sometimes these fans make good points, overall they have zero inside information that allows them to understand why coaches go about certain things in certain ways. And the leap they make to call for these coaches' jobs is simply ridiculous. Shoot, how many people on this board want KF gone? Beyond laughable.

And I think it's important enough to repeat that basketball is a team game. And the fact that CC isn't on a very good team is going to make it very hard for her to sustain efficient play

Is CC, at this point, the greatest women's basketball player of all-time? No.

Have a ton of people said that she is? Yes.

This equates to overrating. This isn't hard
see I do not think a ton of people have been saying she is the goat---I think a whole lot of young girls were showing up at games with the goat signs and the media just took off with it--I laugh when I hear supposed knowledgeable pundits debating this as it shows just how transparent they really are and what they do to fill air/print time...
Here is what I think has happened--Taurasi and those are great players and have been playing a long time but really no one cares--then Clark began doing the logo 3's and Curry took notice--James took notice--because now she is doing the same thing that the men are doing and they loved it.
It all took off from there--she is a better floor general than shooter in my book as well..she is also in fantastic shape and seems to be able to run at a high level for most of a game hence the Fever maybe should try and up tempo things as this half court NBA thing is not working so far...

Your mischaracterizations of my posts aside, am I obligated to share the opinions of others? You make your contributions to the thread, I make mine.

I'd like to think my contributions add some much needed perspective. Caitlin's adjustment period to the league was completely predictable. We would be seeing it, to some degree, no matter who her coach and teammates were.

Also completely predictable was the fan overreaction to this adjustment period. Much of what these fans are saying may have its truth. But it's early, and for the reasons I've stated, overall it has been an overreaction.

Caitlin's start hasn't been what a lot of you have expected. But much of that is because these expectations come from a place of these fans having a limited idea of what they're talking about. I've used the example of the many who have thought CC is the greatest women's basketball player of all-time (yes, including pros and Olympians). So naturally, there's going to be an intense reaction when they realize that CC is not that player, at least yet. And of course, they aren't going to chalk up the difference to their own wrong ranking and wrong expectations.

Pretty much every day on this board there's some goof calling for some coach's job. Although sometimes these fans make good points, overall they have zero inside information that allows them to understand why coaches go about certain things in certain ways. And the leap they make to call for these coaches' jobs is simply ridiculous. Shoot, how many people on this board want KF gone? Beyond laughable.

And I think it's important enough to repeat that basketball is a team game. And the fact that CC isn't on a very good team is going to make it very hard for her to sustain efficient play

I agree with all of this, and although I’ll confess the struggles are a little more pronounced than I expected them to be, I’m not down on CC, I’m not surprised and I’m in the camp that actually thinks she has clearly shown she can and will compete….

As far as Coach Sides goes. It is entirely possible, She’s a fine coach and I totally agree with your sentiment that we have a big section of people on here that leap to “fire the coach” incessantly!!!

But this team is lost and not that good and I don’t see at all what their offense is. So at the very best, they aren’t getting the message and/or can’t execute it yet?!

Because that is some gross basketball.

Last edited:
see I do not think a ton of people have been saying she is the goat---I think a whole lot of young girls were showing up at games with the goat signs and the media just took off with it--I laugh when I hear supposed knowledgeable pundits debating this as it shows just how transparent they really are and what they do to fill air/print time...
Here is what I think has happened--Taurasi and those are great players and have been playing a long time but really no one cares--then Clark began doing the logo 3's and Curry took notice--James took notice--because now she is doing the same thing that the men are doing and they loved it.
It all took off from there--she is a better floor general than shooter in my book as well..she is also in fantastic shape and seems to be able to run at a high level for most of a game hence the Fever maybe should try and up tempo things as this half court NBA thing is not working so far...

Yes, let her have the ball and 8 shots, hmmmmmm…..not sure about that

You are correct that CC is a great floor general. I also share the opinion that, most likely, it would help the Fever to increase their pace. But that's easier said than done. In pro ball, much of pace is generated from defense.

I also agree that it's the distance of 3's CC makes that has mesmerized people and led to most of the overrating, if that's what you're saying. It's like the many great dunkers over time that have been overrated. Their dunks are mesmerizing, but in the end only worth 2 points. Just like CC's long 3's are only worth 3 points.

But the awareness of the GOAT crowning of CC is an experience thing, not an opinion thing. I have certainly seen and heard it on a huge scale. I'm surprised to hear you say otherwise, but I won't question your experience. It also seems that WNBA players have experienced the mass GOAT crowning of CC. Unless I misinterpreted, I'll again use the example of Alyssa Thomas' teammate motioning an imaginary crown on top of her head after having beat the Fever

I
You are correct that CC is a great floor general. I also share the opinion that, most likely, it would help the Fever to increase their pace. But that's easier said than done. In pro ball, much of pace is generated from defense.

I also agree that it's the distance of 3's CC makes that has mesmerized people and led to most of the overrating, if that's what you're saying. It's like the many great dunkers over time that have been overrated. Their dunks are mesmerizing, but in the end only worth 2 points. Just like CC's long 3's are only worth 3 points.

But the awareness of the GOAT crowning of CC is an experience thing, not an opinion thing. I have certainly seen and heard it on a huge scale. I'm surprised to hear you say otherwise, but I won't question your experience. It also seems that WNBA players have experienced the mass GOAT crowning of CC. Unless I misinterpreted, I'll again use the example of Alyssa Thomas' teammate motioning an imaginary crown on top of her head after having beat the Fever

Oh I think for sure it has affected the rest of the league if that’s what you’re saying.

Here’s the deal and I’ve already said this before… We’re talking about a girl that we honestly didn’t know 100% for sure if she could compete but apparently the WNBA did and still does. They are committing double teams and constant defensive pressure on her 94 foot. This is a rookie that some of these other players have “poo - poohed and yet they are giving her literally the full court press …..

I’ll say this, yes, she has struggled but more than anything. I am more than convinced she will eventually take over the WNBA.

Michael Jordan didn’t draw this much defensive focus when he came into the league nor did LeBron James, but they are literally on top of this girl everywhere she moves on the floor, holding her, pushing her, pulling on her shirt, etc.

They wanted to make good and damn sure that she didn’t come in and take over the league right off the bat.

It’s pretty impressive. For those of you disappointed, you don’t need to look at anything more than that to understand the league most assuredly think she’s “real”!!!

Let them back off and see what happens. That’s what’s so disheartening about the rest of her team, she is already creating looks for other players and they are so out of sync. It’s gross basketball to watch.

Just stop. You haven't been under a rock for two years.

CC has been called the GOAT on an enormous level. People haven't made the distinction of calling her the college GOAT. Even if college GOAT is what they're referring to, they've simply called her the GOAT, which is wreckless usage of a term that's meant for the most selective of assignment.

And yes, many people have in fact insisted that she is the GOAT, including pro and Olympic players.

The WNBA players have certainly heard it. Why do think Alyssa Thomas' teammate made the motion of putting an imaginary crown on her head after beating the Fever? That was in response to the masses having crowned CC the GOAT.

And no, two games is not too early to conclude CC isn't the greatest women's basketball player of all-time
Dear lord. I can’t recall anyone saying she’s the best to ever play. There has never been a need to put a caveat “for their entire career” because everyone was referring to college.

I

Oh I think for sure it has affected the rest of the league if that’s what you’re saying.

Here’s the deal and I’ve already said this before… We’re talking about a girl that we honestly didn’t know 100% for sure if she could compete but apparently the WNBA did and still does. They are committing double teams and constant defensive pressure on her 94 foot. This is a rookie that some of these other players have “poo - poohed and yet they are giving her literally the full court press …..

I’ll say this, yes, she has struggled but more than anything. I am more than convinced she will eventually take over the WNBA.

Michael Jordan didn’t draw this much defensive focus when he came into the league nor did LeBron James, but they are literally on top of this girl everywhere she moves on the floor, holding her, pushing her, pulling on her shirt, etc.

They wanted to make good and damn sure that she didn’t come in and take over the league right off the bat.

It’s pretty impressive. For those of you disappointed, you don’t need to look at anything more than that to understand the league most assuredly think she’s “real”!!!

Let them back off and see what happens. That’s what’s so disheartening about the rest of her team, she is already creating looks for other players and they are so out of sync. It’s gross basketball to watch.
I've never questioned that CC can compete in the league. I think she will do very well.

Good point about the respect the league is giving her with all of the defensive attention. It's more than respect though. They are out to get CC because of all the GOAT talk, which I think is the only thing they've "pooh-poohed".

Hopefully the Fever can get going a little better sooner than later. Getting Boston going will help a lot. She is a lot better than she's shown, but has had some tough matchups against some taller players that can give her trouble. Unfortunately that will continue in the early season as they will play Vegas and Connecticut and NY again.

As Monkey has pointed out, the league probably hasn't done themselves any favors giving the Fever such a tough early schedule. I think their intention was to showcase their best teams while people were tuning in to watch Caitlin. But it's seeming they probably would have been better off showcasing what people are actually tuning in to watch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT