ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer leaves Washington for Bama

I guess I've seen it far too many times where everyone makes some solid coordinator out to be the next star head coach only to have them not work out to say the least. I get that feeling with Grubb. I also think he gets a lot of unnecessary hype on Iowa boards due to his NW Iowa background. If you gave me a thousand dollars I'd bet it on not working out. Just my thoughts. Like I said though, I know a lot won't agree. I'll also say he wouldn't be my top five phone calls for an Iowa opening.
Look at the NFL. Most successful coaches right now are offensive coaches. Andy Reid, McVey, McDaniel, even John Harbaugh has been very creative in the way he’s used Lamar. Defense will get you so far but innovative offensive coaches are leading the way. Grubb will get his chance soon somewhere. I like his chances.

So more of a gut feel than anything. That's fine, I thought it was something to do with Grubb specifically. Grubb's had success everywhere he's been. He has experience coaching basically every offensive position group in addition to coordinator, and was also a top strength and conditioning coach.

Although I don't think your hypothetical wager is that crazy, because it's true most coaches don't end up working out. I think Grubb has to be up there as the best realistic candidate we could hope for to replace KF. I'd be curious to hear your five names that you'd rather have (realistic options).
I think the problem now is some of our fans think the only way we can ever win now is 13-10 or 10-7. And that there’s just no way we can recruit skill players to Iowa. I mean as long as Kirk is here for the rest of his career that’s probably true. Kirk was the head coach at Maine for goodness sakes when we got him and a o line guy at Iowa. Grubb has been successful everywhere he’s been.

Reactions: pocha444444
I think the problem now is some of our fans think the only way we can ever win now is 13-10 or 10-7. And that there’s just no way we can recruit skill players to Iowa. I mean as long as Kirk is here for the rest of his career that’s probably true. Kirk was the head coach at Maine for goodness sakes when we got him and a o line guy at Iowa. Grubb has been successful everywhere he’s been.
Not to mention the folks who seem convinced Iowa can either have a good offense, or good defense.....it's not possible to have both. That if the offense is improved the defense will get worse.

So when you’ve been the running joke of college football for 3 years it’s not important to get a new guy in pretty quick to get acclimated and moving forward?
You are one of those dudes who cares what other people think I see. Everyday on national media I see them talking about how Iowa hasn’t picked an OC yet. So you saying when we get one they will say Iowa is cool again?

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Not to mention the folks who seem convinced Iowa can either have a good offense, or good defense.....it's not possible to have both. That if the offense is improved the defense will get worse.
Why didn’t Mike Leach just get a good defense? Natty every year if he did right?

Grubb has been successful everywhere he’s been because he’s basically followed Deboer almost his entire career. I think skepticism is warranted on how good he’d be if offered HC job. Not every good coordinator is a good HC and as we saw with our last OC not every good position coach makes for a good coordinated.

Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised with their SRs, guys to nfl and portal like incoming qb rogers if they pulled a tcu next whoever their coach is. Have a 7-5 type of season.

As has been mentioned numerous times....even an "average" offense would be good. Nothing wrong with placing emphasis on tough defense, that's a winning model. But you have to have at least a serviceable scoring unit to go with it.

Kirk hasn't over the last 4 years. (BTW, out of curiosity I looked it up. Would you believe Iowa averaged 31 pts/game in 2019?)

Reactions: ClarindaA's
You are one of those dudes who cares what other people think I see. Everyday on national media I see them talking about how Iowa hasn’t picked an OC yet. So you saying when we get one they will say Iowa is cool again?
Lol yes let's not care how our offense is perceived nationally. I'm sure that won't affect recruiting at all. Man you're making some bad arguments here.

U of Arizona coach’s name surfaces in connection with Washington job, could affect Grubb. Also supposedly been contacted about Tennessee Titans job.

While Jedd Fisch has done a great job of turning around the Wildcats, this seems rather speculative and his buddies could be planting rumors to try to pressure Arizona to get a new, much better contract done quickly. (See Kirk Ferentz.)

I could care less what other people think. What I want and care about is that we make an out of the box hire. I absolutely don’t want Kirk to be allowed to make another comfortable hire.

I could care less what other people think. What I want and care about is that we make an out of the box hire. I absolutely don’t want Kirk to be allowed to make another comfortable hire.

Um, how much less?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT