ADVERTISEMENT

Defending National Champs

UndercoverHawk

HR All-American
Dec 16, 2015
Just an off-season conversation starter.
Rank the defending champs on the likelihood of bringing home another championship this year.
1- most likely
7- least likely

For me it’s
1- Nolf
2- Spencer
3- Zahid
4- Bo
5- Cenzo
6- Yianni
7- Gross

Reactions: slushhead
Spencer not being even or ahead of Nolf hinges on whether or not Fix goes 125. As good as Spencer is, Fix is still right there.

1. Nolf has no one remotely at his level unless Hidlay makes that big 2nd year jump.
2a-2b. Nickal-Zahid If they stay away from each other they are still a clear step ahead of Martin/Hall.
4. Yianni
5. Spencer-Assuming Fix is at 125. If not, he is 1a or 1b with Nolf.
6. Gross-Assuming Fix is at 125. If not, he is a clear last on this list.
7. Joseph-It depends on how committed he is to keeping position and using those immovable hips. Plus, 165 is the most top heavy weight there is.

Top five are heavy favorites:
1- Nolf, no one close to him at 157.
2- Spencer, only Fix has a chance.
3- Cenzo, hate to say it but I am done doubting him. He rolled through IMar and now there isn't an IMar.
4- Bo, could be higher but if he's changing weights maybe some of his funk gets neutralized a little.
5- Yianni, could be higher but is injury prone.

The last two are 50/50 chances:
6- Gross, toss up with Suriano.
7- Zahid, toss up with Hall.

Top five are heavy favorites:
1- Nolf, no one close to him at 157.
2- Spencer, only Fix has a chance.
3- Cenzo, hate to say it but I am done doubting him. He rolled through IMar and now there isn't an IMar.
4- Bo, could be higher but if he's changing weights maybe some of his funk gets neutralized a little.
5- Yianni, could be higher but is injury prone.

The last two are 50/50 chances:
6- Gross, toss up with Suriano.
7- Zahid, toss up with Hall.

I agree with most of this, though I'd add the following comments:

1. Nolf just got married. I'm hoping the stork isn't flying around dealing hands to people the next 7 months.

2. See #1.

3. See #4.

4. Bo will be Bo at whatever weight he goes and wrestle the style he needs to, lest we forget about Dean. No one will score a TD on Joseph @ Nattys, except maybe White in SV2 if Joseph doesn't stay focused and disciplined. Greater chance of that happening than Bo not adjusting to weight. See Quentin Wright vs. Dustin Kilgore.

5. I'll take your word for it.

6. Micic gave Gross a good match with his speed and craftiness. But Suriano has the strength to neutralize Gross's game. With 133 being so stacked, you almost have to go against the incumbent.

7. I have posted this in another forum previously, but I believe Hall needs to make an adjustment in strategy if he is to ever beat Valencia again. Unless weight becomes an issue for Z.

Yeah Im not sure why everyone has Suriano and Fix above Gross. Until one of them dethrone him, Gross is the man to beat and it will not be a walk in the park for Either one of them.
Especially for Fix, I’d say, because he hasn’t traditionally been great on the bottom, and he’s much shorter than Gross. I think Gross would take it to him on top.

Reactions: Grip220
so many interesting stories coming into this year, will fix step up like spencer did is one of them.i hate winter, the older i get the more i hate it, but i am really looking forward to wrestling season.it can't get here fast enough as far as i'm concerned, even if it means that i am shoveling snow that is up to my waist.

So the chances of Spencer winning another NCAA Championship depends on what Fix does? Bullshit.

I know your hate is strong, but please read a little closer. The fact that I still put him over Gross and Joseph makes it pretty clear that I still consider him a favorite. It's just Fix is no joke. If Gable can lose to Owings or LMac can lose to Marianetti or Metcalf to Caldwell then it is more than fair to say Fix lowers Spencer's chances more so than anyone lowers Nolf's or Martin lowers Nickal's, or Hall lowers Valencia's or even anyone at 141 over Yianni without a knee injury.

To be clear, I think Lee will prove to be in the Top 3 lb for lb this year with Nolf and Zahid, followed closely by Nickal and Yianni. It is just that Fix belongs very close to that 2nd group.

I know your hate is strong, but please read a little closer. The fact that I still put him over Gross and Joseph makes it pretty clear that I still consider him a favorite. It's just Fix is no joke. If Gable can lose to Owings or LMac can lose to Marianetti or Metcalf to Caldwell then it is more than fair to say Fix lowers Spencer's chances more so than anyone lowers Nolf's or Martin lowers Nickal's, or Hall lowers Valencia's or even anyone at 141 over Yianni without a knee injury.

To be clear, I think Lee will prove to be in the Top 3 lb for lb this year with Nolf and Zahid, followed closely by Nickal and Yianni. It is just that Fix belongs very close to that 2nd group.
Can we let him compete this season before we write him in as a top p4p guy

Reactions: Gobblin
Piccinini could be a top 3 contender at 125.
Fix is top 3 at 133.

Fix is 2nd at 125. (Not beating Lee in folk)
Piccinini might not AA at 133.
Brock for sure going up?

But, I am really really hoping Fix goes 125. Makes things more exciting and I want Lee to take it to him. Fix can be the new Tomasello as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: Grip220
This is how I look at: when it is all said and done if we were to make a Mt. Rushmore of college wrestlers Spencer Lee will be one of the 4 faces on that. Carl would be on there too, hate the dude but he is/was the best ever.

Current Mt. Rushmore
Carl
Stiebler
Dake
Pat Smith

Last edited:
Can we let him compete this season before we write him in as a top p4p guy

Sometimes you can just see someone is really good. He did have a couple nice wins over Bresser and Fausz. Also, I know Freestyle doesn't automatically transfer, but his results were beyond impressive at the Senior level as a freshman.

Sometimes you can just see someone is really good. He did have a couple nice wins over Bresser and Fausz. Also, I know Freestyle doesn't automatically transfer, but his results were beyond impressive at the Senior level as a freshman.
I agree with his results in free I just dont think his best moves transfer as well to colllege level folk. He will be a force I just think he is 3-5 guy at 133 this year and SL majors him every time if they meet this season

Reactions: Gobblin
I’m looking at his match against Wilson and Micic at NCAAs last year. If they don’t get turned they both win against Gross because they are better on their feet. I’d pick Micic to win the weight next year.

If Lincoln Mac doesn't get taken down 17 times in the finals no way he loses right?

I guess dudes better learn to avoid getting turned lest they get a Seth Gross beat down!

Reactions: Gobblin and Mattski
This is how I look at: when it is all said and done if we were to make a Mt. Rushmore of college wrestlers Spencer Lee will be one of the 4 faces on that. Carl would be on there too, hate the dude but he is/was the best ever.

Current Mt. Rushmore
Carl
Stiebler
Dake
Pat Smith

No Gable?!?!? Not sure I agree with that!

Reactions: HawkeyeEmpire
No Gable?!?!? Not sure I agree with that!
I know it was difficult for me to not put him on there, but these are the only 4 time national champions and he lost his final match ever. An argument could be made that he should be on there I would be fine with that 100%. But who would you replace- I would probably say Dake but damn not putting a four time champion on there would be difficult to do.
If I said who had the biggest impact or who is the best wrestler and not NCAA wrestler I think it would be obvious to have Gable on there

I don't hate. I just have a strong dislike.

Reactions: Notsure75
There are others that went undefeated through college and a couple undefeated there whole scholastic careers just because there was not a chance to win 4 titles does not erase them from the best all time and MT Rushmore. Do some history research try Dan Hodge,Yojiri Uetake and the one they all say was the best of the best Buddy Arndt. Not that I have witnessed them wrestle but to just exclude guys because era in history would be wrong

Reactions: TNHAWK79
Personally, I don't think Suriano has enough offense to beat Gross. Fix' best chance to be a multi timer is definitely going @ 133.

True enough. But he can start at 25 this year and move to 33 and have three years left to that multi timer you mentioned

Just a reminder. Hall is a two time finalist with one title. Valencia has looked great wrestling in this year's finals and post season competition, but that is two posts where you belittle the capability of a recent champion to compete for another championship.
Spencer does not have to beat any recent champs, nor does Gross, Yianni, Nolf or Cenzo. I have no idea where Martin may go, but if he were at Bo's weight Bo would have to beat a recent champ, but Bo is 7-2 against Martin. Valencia and Hall are 1 - 1.

Just saying you seem to be a bit dismissive of Hall.

Just a reminder. Hall is a two time finalist with one title. Valencia has looked great wrestling in this year's finals and post season competition, but that is two posts where you belittle the capability of a recent champion to compete for another championship.
Spencer does not have to beat any recent champs, nor does Gross, Yianni, Nolf or Cenzo. I have no idea where Martin may go, but if he were at Bo's weight Bo would have to beat a recent champ, but Bo is 7-2 against Martin. Valencia and Hall are 1 - 1.

Just saying you seem to be a bit dismissive of Hall.
Hall will never beat Zahid in folk style again.

1. Nolf
2. Spencer
3. Valencia- I see him as a heavy favorite at 174 or 184
4. Bo
5. Yianni
6. Joseph
7. Gross

All 7 guys are good enough to repeat. I see the top 6 as substantial favorites at their weights.

Gross is a substantial favorite. He was conceding takedowns to Micic in the 3rd period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT