ADVERTISEMENT

Defending the 3 point goal ????

BUCKSNDUCKS

HR MVP
Mar 15, 2004
Is Iowa not athletic, quick or aggressive enough to guard the 3 point line?? Way too many easy looks. Is it the 3 /2 or 2/3 zone??

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Iowa is not athletic, quick or aggressive enough to be able to play lock down simultaneous defense on both the three point line and the interior,.. With a team like Michigan State, I think we were correct to concentrate our efforts on the interior...
It should be fun watching Michigan State shoot even better from 3 against us in East Lansing because reasons............

Henry was 4 for 5, and he killed the Hawks. The rest of the team shot 33%, which I guess you can live with.
I think they started 6-6, which they couldn't do again guarded or unguarded. They had twelve made 3's with 10 minutes left that tied their season high, not sure how many they ended up with.

I think we can see a clear trend in how our opponents want to play on the Offensive end against Iowa.

Iowa has to work like hell to get an open 3 pointer. What gets me is how easily our opponents get open 3 pointers against us.
That’s because they actually have guards who can penetrate and kick. Without JT, or maybe even AU..we do not possess that particular skill. Against good defensive teams this glaring problem becomes much more obvious

Starters were getting screened or going under screens. Backups came in and said watch how it’s done, they either switched or went over screens.

Yep, the starters lack athleticism, but they also lack toughness and determination.

I think they are generally ok with the idea of giving up open shots assuming they will get the ball back enough to outscore the opponent. They are focused on not picking up fouls.

The bench players are not ok with giving up open shots and don't allow themselves to be taken out by screens or lose track of their man following the ball around.

Hopefully sitting so much of that second half will be a motivator to try harder and be locked in mentally.

Henry was 4 for 5, and he killed the Hawks. The rest of the team shot 33%, which I guess you can live with.

So you are suggesting Fran design a Zone that puts emphasis on one guy, follows him everywhere, maybe putting the best defender on him and and never helps off him? That would be man-to-man.

I'm no bb coach, but it looks to me like we are more capable of better 3pt defense than we manage. We have seen this for years with Fran's teams. The late 'oh put my hand up' half-assed defense gesture. Feels like coaching, not talent, that's just a gut though.

So you are suggesting Fran design a Zone that puts emphasis on one guy, follows him everywhere, maybe putting the best defender on him and and never helps off him? That would be man-to-man.

Uh, no. I suggested nothing. Only presented some stats.

Iowa does ok when teams are running a set half court offense but not many teams do that these days. Iowa's problems start with their inability to play man. The zone is easy to defeat with dribble penetration and that gets Iowa caught in rotations where a guy basically has to run from the lane to the baseline to contest a shot. From Fran's reactions it seems that somebody is out of position, but hard to believe that can go on for 10 years. Also say it's a biproduct of being a step + slow. Other teams seem to get to Iowa's shooters to crowd them off their spot while we get there after the shot has been released.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Watch the middle of the MSU game again. End first half.

Toussaint and mostly starters + Nunge.

The defense gets so much better just because Toussaint is communicating to everyone else where to move to as the ball moves. Hes never stops talking.

The starters biggest problem is they don't understand defense. They don't see it and they don't communicate.

The last 3 games if an opponent just stands in the corner we don't know he's there half the time. We'll end up with three guys above the foul line watching the ball and no one with 10 feet of the man in the corner.

You can get by with average communication in man because all you really have to do is yell switch or help.

Zone has to have much better understanding and communication to work.

The defense gets so much better just because Toussaint is communicating to everyone else where to move to as the ball moves. Hes never stops talking.

The starters biggest problem is they don't understand defense. They don't see it and they don't communicate.

The last 3 games if an opponent just stands in the corner we don't know he's there half the time. We'll end up with three guys above the foul line watching the ball and no one with 10 feet of the man in the corner.

You can get by with average communication in man because all you really have to do is yell switch or help.

This was probably the biggest impact Woodbury made. People complain about his scoring/offense and completely ignore the affect on the other end of the court.

I think it is a University rule that we are not allowed to guard the 3 point shot, since the Hawks have not done it going back to the Dr. Tom days.

My dad used to yell "how can you be that damn dumb?!!!" allll the time when I was growing up during Dr. Tom days.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
This was probably the biggest impact Woodbury made. People complain about his scoring/offense and completely ignore the affect on the other end of the court.

Was just going to post this. Woodbury was always talking on defense

Was just going to post this. Woodbury was always talking on defense

And pointing ... :)

giphy.gif

• Haha
That’s because they actually have guards who can penetrate and kick. Without JT, or maybe even AU..we do not possess that particular skill. Against good defensive teams this glaring problem becomes much more obvious
Soooooo, you do the best that you can with the players that you have.
Thus Iowa gives up way more open shots than a person would like to see but they get the job done on most nights.

Even more critical when the players don't have the make up quickness/speed to cover errors in their positioning and hedging. That's what kills Iowa. If they get out of position and a guy is free for a three, then Jbo especially is toast as he lacks recovery speed or length to close out.
I love how vocal JT is at the top of the zone. He's always harassing the opposing big as well when he tries to set up in that hole around the free throw line.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Serious question, why no man D? Have we played at all this year? Simple math tells me a 2 point shot is better than reigning in 3's all game however I know we aren't that athletically gifted. Are protecting for fouls? I think man D would really throw off teams looking at us to come out in 2/3, 1/2/2, 1/2/1/1 etc.

Yes, you have to have someone talking. No body really does that effectively with the starters.

Serious question, why no man D? Have we played at all this year? Simple math tells me a 2 point shot is better than reigning in 3's all game however I know we aren't that athletically gifted. Are protecting for fouls? I think man D would really throw off teams looking at us to come out in 2/3, 1/2/2, 1/2/1/1 etc.

They do play man D.

We usually play man for the first couple minutes.

The reason we don't play man is to protect Luka from being put in ball screens.

He really struggles to help on screens and he picks up fouls. So its a two fold problem.

I don't understand why Fran doesn't switch to man with the second unit with Luka on the bench.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Iowa does ok when teams are running a set half court offense but not many teams do that these days.

LOL, um no, they absolutely don’t do ok due to extremely poor athleticism. Halfcourt sets that use simple pick and rolls eat them alive. Why do you think they can’t play man in the first place?

I see a lot of our guys try to race to the corners to contest an open 3. So, yeah, I totally agree. 😩 Hate to see it.

The corner 3 is the most efficient shot in all of basketball, it’s absolutely crazy how many wide open looks Iowa gives up from there.

I think it is a University rule that we are not allowed to guard the 3 point shot, since the Hawks have not done it going back to the Dr. Tom days.

That covers the entire history of the 3-point shot (it began in the 86-87 season). Iowa's had four head coaches since the inception of the three pointer and none of them have been able to defend the 3.

The corner 3 is the most efficient shot in all of basketball, it’s absolutely crazy how many wide open looks Iowa gives up from there.

Its even crazier that Illinois only managed to squeak by by 5 at home while getting so many corner 3s.

Soooooo, you do the best that you can with the players that you have.
Thus Iowa gives up way more open shots than a person would like to see but they get the job done on most nights.
Well that depends on your definition of getting it done . They still leave wayyyyyy to many guys wide open for the corner 3 ball. Been a problem for years . MSU came into the game with 12 3s in their last 3 GAMES!! We allowed them like 8 or 10 in the first half! That’s a problem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT