ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart for Illinois State. Cade QB1. Moulton Top RB. TJ Hall starting at CB. Jacob Gill & Jarriett Buie starting at WR. Three WR sets

Has there been a bunch of Kamari Moulton talk?

I guess I wasn't expecting to see this at all.

Great group of guys he jumped so I take this as hella good news for him and the offense.
He's been rising steadily. Seems we have an embarassment of riches at HB and I hope we can take advantage of it.

We seem to have a great problem at RB. Think all four of them will play and will play a lot. I was always super impressed with how Patterson played and he seems to be the forgotten man in all of this. Moulton must have really popped over this last year.
I love Jazzy's running style and think it's a great asset. I hope he's not dropped off and the rest of the room is just that good. Maybe we'll see a four-headed attack. Or get some of those guys out wide sometimes. Make use of the talent we have.

This is probably old news but I was doing some digging and found out that Kamari's mom passed away in 2021.

She was 38.

Many great athletes have a traumatic life event such as losing a loved one that really propels them. Dan Gable is the first to come to mind.

You better believe every time this kid touches the ball, he's doing it for his mom.

8 of 11 starters on D are seniors. And 2 of the juniors (Graves and Nwanpka) have some potential for leaving early. Holy cow, better get it done this year.
Yep. It's kind of this year or bust. As long as Phil is around the D will be good, but he won't have a group as good as this with this much experience returning in a long time if ever. Next year will be a ton of new faces.

This is probably old news but I was doing some digging and found out that Kamari's mom passed away in 2021.

She was 38.

Many great athletes have a traumatic life event such as losing a loved one that really propels them. Dan Gable is the first to come to mind.

You better believe every time this kid touches the ball, he's doing it for his mom.
Thats really a tough one. I can't speak for athletic prowess, because my career ended in high school, but my twin brother's passing at a young age drove me for a long time. For awhile it's a gut punch that makes it difficult to breathe and see beyond today, but slowly that fades. I felt like I needed to accomplish things that he wasn't afforded the opportunity to do. Kamari might feel the need to be what he knew his mother wanted him to be. Hopefully his memories of her are positive and those in turn drive him in a positive direction.

So it looks like Brown is injured to start the season and Iowa has a completely new set of starting wide receivers for a game 1 where the wide receiver coach will be eating Pancheros take out at Kirk's house for this game.
I hear the vehicle he was driving while intoxicated was injured badly.

Moulton is the biggest surprise. Seeing him jump both Williams and Johnson must mean Lester really likes what he saw.

It's good to see TJ Hall back in the lineup. I fully trust Phil on choosing him as a starter.

With Brown out, we'll get to see what Wetjen is capable of. I really hope his speed is utilized. I also want to see Reece VanderZee in action too.
Williams has been hurt in camp. Missed practices.

Thought Jazz looked better than Moulton, also KJ needs to get more snaps.
I keep waiting for KJ to be more consistent. When he gets a good hole he's a long strider, and can go the distance, but he runs too upright at the line of scrimmage, and doesn't get through contact as well as you'd expect for a big back. Interested to see if Xavier Williams gets any run. A freshman at 5'10" 230lbs he's a load all ready and probably runs with lower pads the KJ

hard to find obvious weak links. on D, if there is a weakness for opponents to exploit weirdly it may be at cb, and on on O, wr. that said, on paper it feels like we are loaded.

I keep waiting for KJ to be more consistent. When he gets a good hole he's a long strider, and can go the distance, but he runs too upright at the line of scrimmage, and doesn't get through contact as well as you'd expect for a big back. Interested to see if Xavier Williams gets any run. A freshman at 5'10" 230lbs he's a load all ready and probably runs with lower pads the KJ
I have the exact same analysis.

Two RB sets, please.
This would be scratching where it itches. You have four good RBs, play two at a time often. Misdirection is easy with two RBs. You can put 'em in a T, an I, you can put one in motion . . . there are SO many things you can do with two RBs on the field together. I have to believe Lester understands that and will deploy this formation often.

This would be scratching where it itches. You have four good RBs, play two at a time often. Misdirection is easy with two RBs. You can put 'em in a T, an I, you can put one in motion . . . there are SO many things you can do with two RBs on the field together. I have to believe Lester understands that and will deploy this formation often.
We will be running quite a bit of 12 formation I would guess with Lachey and Addison and then 11 with a solo TE and 3 WR.

We will be running quite a bit of 12 formation I would guess with Lachey and Addison and then 11 with a solo TE and 3 WR.
I also like some 3 WR sets. I just think it would be most advantageous to mix the formations among 2 TEs, 2 RBs, and 3 WRs. What a thrill it would be to see a mix of sets, motion, misdirection . . . you know, stuff that keeps the defense guessing and on its heels rather than taking the Iowa prep week off because they know the Hawkeye offense as well as Iowa does.

Interesting depth chart! It's possible that some players who demand big NIL $$ don't realize they have to still earn their spot in the lineup.

Ever since they have allowed freshmen to play 4 games and not burn a red shirt, I decided to not pay much attention to the first few games roster. Besides that, some of the guys you know are going to be starters after the first few games might be a little banged up from fall camp. So it gives the younger guys a chance to show what they can do in non conference games. But yeah, we seem to be tight at RB. I think the QB and WR rooms are going to do nothing but get better day after day and year after tear now. Thinking Marco could be really good when his number is called next year or the year after. It just feels like we have legit competition on offense now. Iron sharpens iron and the guys we have now seem intent on leaving this offense better then they found it.

Last edited:
I also like some 3 WR sets. I just think it would be most advantageous to mix the formations among 2 TEs, 2 RBs, and 3 WRs. What a thrill it would be to see a mix of sets, motion, misdirection . . . you know, stuff that keeps the defense guessing and on its heels rather than taking the Iowa prep week off because they know the Hawkeye offense as well as Iowa does.
I have always thought the same thing. We like to have thunder and lightning, but never put them out there at the same time. That could be something interesting. One thing about it, we have many different formations we can do now and that alone should be something different then we or opposing defenses have seen us do before.

Some names on those 2 deeps we haven't seen in a while. Myslinski was rumored to medically retire, Pieper as backup C is interesting as well rather than Elsbury.
I agree it was surprising to see Myslinski's name listed on the depth chart. I know he was a pretty sought-after recruit coming out of high school, I believe originally committed to texas, but injuries have done their part. Good to see his name up there and hopefully he gets to see some action and is healthy

I like the 2 RB idea but that's not "scratch where it itches". It means "take what the defense gives you".

Last edited:
Regarding Moulton, I'm wondering if he is better at catching the ball on swing routes. I believe that is a pretty big component of the West Coast offense.

Reactions: CaboKP
Happy with Moulton as #1! Hard runner!

I envisioned KJ descending down the depth chart - too slow-footed and didn’t do sh*t unless there was a wide-open hole.
Would disagree. KJ is by far our best big play back and has a chance to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. He appeared to be hitting the hole quicker in the open practice on Kids Day. I like Moulton too but so far haven’t seen anything to suggest he is better than Leshun or KJ.

Would disagree. KJ is by far our best big play back and has a chance to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. He appeared to be hitting the hole quicker in the open practice on Kids Day. I like Moulton too but so far haven’t seen anything to suggest he is better than Leshun or KJ.
This, recall the Illinois gave

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT