ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart for Illinois State. Cade QB1. Moulton Top RB. TJ Hall starting at CB. Jacob Gill & Jarriett Buie starting at WR. Three WR sets

Would disagree. KJ is by far our best big play back and has a chance to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. He appeared to be hitting the hole quicker in the open practice on Kids Day. I like Moulton too but so far haven’t seen anything to suggest he is better than Leshun or KJ.
Well…according to the week 1 depth chart, KJ isn’t bringing enough to the ‘table’ to be in the top 2 🤷🏼‍♂️

Moulton is the biggest surprise. Seeing him jump both Williams and Johnson must mean Lester really likes what he saw.

It's good to see TJ Hall back in the lineup. I fully trust Phil on choosing him as a starter.

With Brown out, we'll get to see what Wetjen is capable of. I really hope his speed is utilized. I also want to see Reece VanderZee in action too.
Really hope we get to see VanderZee… would be really nice to have a WR that can play as a freshman!

I like Moulton but Kaleb Johnson looked much better at the Kids Day practice. Is Kaleb J banged up like Leshun has been ?
Kaleb does seem to get dinged up. But Lester likes to throw to the running backs and maybe Moulton is the best at that

Has there been a bunch of Kamari Moulton talk?

I guess I wasn't expecting to see this at all.

Great group of guys he jumped so I take this as hella good news for him and the offense.
This is crazy to me. I mean, Kaleb Johnson was a starter his freshman year. Leshon Williams beat out Johnson last year and started. Jaziun Patterson has seen a ton of time running the ball, and Moulton beat all three of them out for a starting job? I mean, Moulton must be something special because that just doesn't happen at Iowa. He has beaten out two previous starters to win the spot.

This is crazy to me. I mean, Kaleb Johnson was a starter his freshman year. Leshon Williams beat out Johnson last year and started. Jaziun Patterson has seen a ton of time running the ball, and Moulton beat all three of them out for a starting job? I mean, Moulton must be something special because that just doesn't happen at Iowa. He has beaten out two previous starters to win the spot.
I hate to say it but l thought he kind reminded me Wadley. If he keeps the wiggle with the weight he’s added he could indeed be special.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
From the interwebs...

"Lester's offensive scheme has been described as a West Coast passing scheme with an emphasis on downhill running."

I have also heard him reference what he learned about that offense while at Green Bay
Ok. This is the first I've heard of the West Coast elements.

I've just heard it's pretty much a version of Shanahan's offense.

Doesn't mean it can't be both, as "West Coast" primarily refers to passing concepts and "Shanahan" primarily refers to the running game

Sounds like both Lester and Betts see something in Moulton. I trust their observations. We wanted a more dynamic offense. If the guy installing it sees certain players are picking it up...play 'em. Making plays versus risk aversion. What a concept.

no union cards, either (which KF has been accused of)

play your best play makers

Leshon is nursing an injury. Moulton was praised for his ability to get positive yards. So he is our first down back. We have 2 different sty;es of RB, and have for years. We almost always list thunder as the number one back.

We know Leshon is hurt and KJ ALWAYS seems to be dinged up and I suspect that is the case again (as usual). I've always been of the opinion that if a starter isn't close to 100%, depth should always mean the player at 100% is far better than the banged up injured player. In high school that doesn't work because of age but for college teams... but that rule has never worked at Iowa for whatever reason. I do believe if all 4 of our guys are at 100%, they will ALL be fun to watch.

Reactions: thunderstruck1
This was my thought as well when I saw him in limited action.
Yep, Wadley had that 'running skinny' down to a science with a jump cut and spin too. He could fit through the creases very well (check the 2015 Maryland game on his TD run) and some of that athleticism isn't lost on the coaches.

Speaking of the def back 7, in one of the mic'd up segments Lutmer had a ridiculous pick 6 and Nestor was all over the place as well, a great problem to have thus we have some solid depth there. Bowie was the one now confirmed in a boot so will miss some time, was finally moving up the ladder.
Damn.

Explains why he’s not on the depth chart. I was looking forward to him getting a shot.

I'm wondering a little bit about KM being listed at #1, perhaps being indicative of a new "quicker to the hole" type of running scheme? I thought I noticed it from the open practice.

I'm wondering a little bit about KM being listed at #1, perhaps being indicative of a new "quicker to the hole" type of running scheme? I thought I noticed it from the open practice.
I think its clear that everyone got at least a fighting chance at a fresh start under a new set of eyes. Very welcome development..

Moulton runs hard but in the limited action last season he didn’t really display much elusiveness, not nearly as elusive as Leshun is and certainly not as elusive as Wadley was.

it will be interesting to see how many reps all the RBs get in the first 4 games.

then comes the bye week

then Ohio State

Iowa's 2024 schedule:

• vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
  • vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
  • vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
  • at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
............................Sep 28 BYE.............................................
  • at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
  • vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
  • at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
  • vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
  • vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
  • at UCLA, November 8, 2024
............................Nov 16 BYE.............................................
  • at Maryland, November 23, 2024
  • vs. Nebraska, November 29, 2024

More on Kamari Moulton:

I’m not a packer fan but after watching Moulton’s highlights again I believe Tim Lester is referring to the inside zone and it being fundamental to running the RPO. It seems Kamari ran a lot inside zone plays in high school so he just may be that much better or familiar with running it/ going north and south than Williams and Johnson. Comparing him to Aaron Jones is exciting can’t wait until Saturday!

Reactions: Franisdaman
I’m not a packer fan but after watching Moulton’s highlights again I believe Tim Lester is referring to the inside zone and it being fundamental to running the RPO. It seems Kamari ran a lot inside zone plays in high school so he just may be that much better or familiar with running it/ going north and south than Williams and Johnson. Comparing him to Aaron Jones is exciting can’t wait until Saturday!

Lester really seems like he knows what he's doing, unlike the previous guy. ;)

• Love
Reactions: cm8124
Moulton runs hard but in the limited action last season he didn’t really display much elusiveness, not nearly as elusive as Leshun is and certainly not as elusive as Wadley was.
We get it - you’re a big Kaleb Johnson fan.

He clearly doesn’t have the attributes Lester is looking for in his scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT