ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines: Basically just a big version of the town in Footloose

Family values? Chance the Rapper has a bop about how much he loves his grandmother and why he needs to go to church more with her.

Conversely, DMX had a song that included the lines:

"I'm comin in the house and I'm gunnin' for your spouse
Tryin' to send the bitch back to her maker
And if you got a daughter older then 15, I'ma rape her
Take her on the living room floor, right there in front of you
Then ask you seriously, what you wanna do?"

Don't get me wrong, I like DMX and have a few of his CDs from back in the day. Just like I have most all of the Geto Boys CDs. I'm just saying that if you want to make a "family values" argument, it's easy to find examples from plenty of hip hop artists.

Don't get me wrong, I like DMX and have a few of his CDs from back in the day. Just like I have most all of the Geto Boys CDs. I'm just saying that if you want to make a "family values" argument, it's easy to find examples from plenty of hip hop artists.
Yep. Hip hop is the only genre with questionable lyrics.

Having recently been involved in selecting artists for a relatively large music fest, you can actually CHOOSE which artists to bring in and which to exclude.

Excluding an entire GENRE of music on a "family values" criteria is ludicrous. And in this particular case, clearly racist.

Des Moines gives me ass gas. It's got no charisma dawg.

As someone who was born in Des Moines, lives in the Iowa City area, has an office in Cedar Rapids, and covers Cedar Falls, Waterloo, Dubuque, QC, and Muscatine as my market, I can say that Des Moines is well ahead of all those cities in terms of things to do, places to live, and attractiveness of the opposite sex (giggity/giggity).

DM > Eastern Iowa >>>>>>>>>anything West of Waukee

"Lyrics that speak out against the police are a reason not to allow hip hop"

Seriously, have the elected officials just suspended the Bill of Rights in Des Moines?

As someone who was born in Des Moines, lives in the Iowa City area, has an office in Cedar Rapids, and covers Cedar Falls, Waterloo, Dubuque, QC, and Muscatine as my market, I can say that Des Moines is well ahead of all those cities in terms of things to do, places to live, and attractiveness of the opposite sex (giggity/giggity).

DM > Eastern Iowa >>>>>>>>>anything West of Waukee
You're wrong. And probably high.

Des Moines is yawn city.

And if you really think DSM has hotter women than Iowa City you should probably be committed to a mental institution. Unless the Joni Ernst look is your fetish.

Last edited:
Yep. Hip hop is the only genre with questionable lyrics.
I apologize if that's how it came across - I wasn't trying to imply it was the only genre that could be questionable, just commenting that not every hip hop artist/song is as good-natured as Chance the Rapper.

Just like Stryper and Winger ("She whispered sweet and brought me to the floor, she said / I'm only seventeen (seventeen) / But I'll show you love like you've never seen / She's only seventeen (seventeen) / Daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me") were not the same kind of band.

Having recently been involved in selecting artists for a relatively large music fest, you can actually CHOOSE which artists to bring in and which to exclude.

Excluding an entire GENRE of music on a "family values" criteria is ludicrous. And in this particular case, clearly racist.
I don't disagree at all. See above, just countering Chance the Rapper with DMX.

b377ece6913ab3ee39aa3161c5b0a1d4.jpg

Reactions: torbee
From the oldest of times, people rapped for a number of reasons. They rapped in prayer or so that their crops would be plentiful or so their hunt would be good. And they rapped to stay physically fit and show their community spirit. And they rapped to celebrate. And that, that is the rapping that we’re talking about. Aren’t we told in Psalm 149: ‘Praise ye the Lord. Rap unto the Lord a new song. Let them praise His name in the spitting of lyrics’?…It was King David. King David, who we read about in Samuel, and, and what did David do? What did David do? What did David do? ‘David rapped before the Lord with all his might, leaping, leaping and rapping before the Lord.’ Leaping and rapping! Ecclesiastes assures us that there is a time to every purpose under heaven. A time to laugh and a time to weep. A time to mourn and there is a time to spit those mady fire lyrics!. And there was a time for this law, but not anymore. See, this is our time to rap. It is our way of, of celebrating life. It’s the way it was in the beginning. It’s the way it’s always been. It’s the way it should be now.

LET'S RAP!!

The sexiest thing Des Moines has is Simon Conway.

simon_conway.jpg

Don't get me going on Simon. Piece of trash.

I like to poke the bear on all things QC, but I do it for fun. 2022 DSM is not 1992 DSM. It is actually a pretty damn fun place unless you want to spend time on Court Avenue. East of the river has already done well, but a billion dollar investment, about to be more hip.

Suck it Eastern Iowa and your smells ;)

Don't get me going on Simon. Piece of trash.

I like to poke the bear on all things QC, but I do it for fun. 2022 DSM is not 1992 DSM. It is actually a pretty damn fun place unless you want to spend time on Court Avenue. East of the river has already done well, but a billion dollar investment, about to be more hip.

Suck it Eastern Iowa and your smells ;)
I don't actually dislike Des Moines, and yes, it is the most "bigger metro area" feeling of the cities in Iowa.

My issue with it is that all the "hip" stuff there feels kind of gentrified and phony.

I feel like CR and the QC are more authentically urban whereas Des Moines has a weird holier-than-thou yuppie/hipster vibe. I prefer grittiness, personally.

I don't actually dislike Des Moines, and yes, it is the most "bigger metro area" feeling of the cities in Iowa.

My issue with it is that all the "hip" stuff there feels kind of gentrified and phony.

I feel like CR and the QC are more authentically urban whereas Des Moines has a weird holier-than-thou yuppie/hipster vibe. I prefer grittiness, personally.

I can't disagree with some of those sentiments. But even if it is gentrified, at least it slows the brain drain.

Seriously, there are skateboarders around the world that talk about DSM and it's park on the river.

And when you say "Authentically", I presume you mean PBR and catfish noodling.

Des Moines is yawn city.

And if you really think DSM has hotter women than Iowa City you should probably be committed to a mental institution. Unless the Joni Ernst look is your fetish.
And although far from perfect.....DSM has really done a great job of keeping itself relevant as most other parts of Ioway have been tripping over their dicks the past 25 years. Des Moines is........Des Moines. There is nothing wrong in understanding what/who you are and pursuing that image. In face, most would say it is "Iowa smart"..........DSM has been lucky in being run by some pretty smart folks who are not afraid to act in non-partisan ways to local issues......The next BIG problem in DSM is guns after dark around Court Avenue...police/security folks need some help here......

And although far from perfect.....DSM has really done a great job of keeping itself relevant as most other parts of Ioway have been tripping over their dicks the past 25 years. Des Moines is........Des Moines. There is nothing wrong in understanding what/who you are and pursuing that image. In face, most would say it is "Iowa smart"..........DSM has been lucky in being run by some pretty smart folks who are not afraid to act in non-partisan ways to local issues......The next BIG problem in DSM is guns after dark around Court Avenue...police/security folks need some help here......
Well yeah, when you hog all the economic development dollars for the capital while starving the rest of the state, it is pretty easy to do so :rolleyes:

Des Moines leaders are seeking the Chicago model --- one giant vacuum sucking up all the economic development juice while the rest of the state withers.

Not going to celebrate that bullshit.

Reactions: GOHOX69

Des Moines is yawn city.

Four years in QC. Dump central.

Holy shit! Did CR and QC just.....

will-ferrell-john-c-reilly.gif

Well yeah, when you hog all the economic development dollars for the capital while starving the rest of the state, it is pretty easy to do so :rolleyes:

Des Moines leaders are seeking the Chicago model --- one giant vacuum sucking up all the economic development juice while the rest of the state withers.

Not going to celebrate that bullshit.
Seems to me torbee that MOST of rural Iowa is moving to Polk and Dallas Counties....because this is where there are jobs, housing and education available....and affordable. DSM/Ames.....CR/IC are going to be the big winners.........as well as corporate farmers and large ag related industries.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Seems to me torbee that MOST of rural Iowa is moving to Polk and Dallas Counties....because this is where there are jobs, housing and education available....and affordable. DSM/Ames.....CR/IC are going to be the big winners.........as well as corporate farmers and large ag related industries.
It's a chicken-and-egg thing though, isn't it?

I've been in meetings with Debi Durham. I'm aware of how the sausage is made. I stand by my observations.

Reactions: GOHOX69
“David rapped before the Lord with all his might. Leaping and rapping before the Lord.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT