ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines storm (also some Iowa towns of less importance with worse pizza)

GFY you POS. Maybe ask what you can do to help rather than try to win some internet wager with an anonymous person. People are already overwhelmed and your misinformation doesn't help the matter.

For your information, I have been working every night and some days to help others in multiple ways. You are the one that escalated things between us...so again, get bent! Take your misplaced anger out on someone else.

GFY you POS. Maybe ask what you can do to help rather than try to win some internet wager with an anonymous person. People are already overwhelmed and your misinformation doesn't help the matter.
I don't know how you know it's misinformation.

For your information, I have been working every night and some days to help others in multiple ways. You are the one that escalated things between us...so again, get bent! Take your misplaced anger out on someone else.

Hopefully you didn't offer them a wager on when their power would come back on. Douchebag.

I don't know how you know it's misinformation.

It's a guess. Pure and simple. Maybe he'll be correct.

Nobody else with Alliant is indicating it will be that long. I even posted an article from the press conference. I'll stick with what's being reported rather than a game of Telephone with some guy on the internet who claims to know some people.

All I'm asking is for actual information rather than guessing. I understand people like to take these things to the extreme, but people are already overwhelmed without having to stress about someone throwing darts at a calendar.

Huh. Funny that even the latest official announcement from Alliant gives indication that not everyone will have power by next Tuesday yet. Why do you think they worded their announcement that way?

I'm happy that makes you happy :confused:. Now please go away.

We’re still out in my neighborhood, but there are others within a few blocks that have power. I’ve had numerous neighbors ask me if I could call someone, I told them it doesn’t really work that way. Pretty much all of our utilities are buried.

If I had to guess, either a transmission line is down close by or a tree uprooted and broke a distribution line.

We slept in the cool basement last night. The first floor was like 80 degrees and the second floor was 87 degrees and extremely unpleasant. I’ve been taking cold showers in the morning and evening.

I love 74th St. Such a great time-saver to avoid the madness of Boyson Road.

Oh, T’s & P’s for @mstp1992 soon murdering you in your sleep. We’ll always speak fondly of you, especially @ANYCHawk .
@ANYCHawk will forever be jealous of me. I’m what he wishes he could be.

And it really is a hell of a time saver. When I came up here Tuesday to check on my place I got off 380 at the Boyson exit. Quickly made my way up to 74th because Boyson was backed wayyyyy the hell up.

We’re still out in my neighborhood, but there are others within a few blocks that have power. I’ve had numerous neighbors ask me if I could call someone, I told them it doesn’t really work that way. Pretty much all of our utilities are buried.

If I had to guess, either a transmission line is down close by or a tree uprooted and broke a distribution line.

We slept in the cool basement last night. The first floor was like 80 degrees and the second floor was 87 degrees and extremely unpleasant. I’ve been taking cold showers in the morning and evening.
I'm laughing so hard right now. You mean you can't just call in a favor and your street will have power? Well shit that guy from Alliant that I tried to bribe must of ripped me off!! LOL!

Reactions: Moral and McLovin32
I’ve been wondering if those nearby could just run extension cords across the road to those without power.

not sure how amperage a 100’ cord could handle though. Fridge and some fans?

I considered it when we got our power on the people across the street were out. But that only last a few hours.

I’ve been wondering if those nearby could just run extension cords across the road to those without power.

I considered it when we got our power on the people across the street were out. But that only last a few hours.
That's happening with several houses on my street.

Reactions: QChawks
I'm laughing so hard right now. You mean you can't just call in a favor and your street will have power? Well shit that guy from Alliant that I tried to bribe must of ripped me off!! LOL!

You’d be surprised. I’ve also had people ask numerous times if we get some type of deal on electricity (actually just last night in fact). Also, don’t compare us to Alliant. I don’t have anything against their employees at all however their prices are ridiculous.

Reactions: beanerhawk
Sigh. I am very tired, but in a "my gawd I needed today" tired.

First, the particulars...at home (near Kirkwood) per the Alliant outage map, no change whatsoever to the numbers that have been there since Wednesday. I must live in The Forgotten Land.

My brother, west side of Marion near Donnelly Park - same deal.

Today, I decided to seek out adventures. Had a blast.

My SUV/boat launcher died a couple weeks ago. Electrical gremlins the best German vehicle mechanic in town can't figure out. So, knowing The Best Month Of Fishing In Iowa is coming up...I decided to order and mount a trailer hitch for my 2002 BMW 325i (that's right, laugh it up fuzzballs...gotta do what you gotta do). Installed it last week...wiring, the whole shebang. But only a class I, 2,000 capacity, 200 tongue weight.

My boat/trailer I'm guessing is pretty close to that 2,000 pounds. I only have 2.5 miles one way to the public ramp, but my frontage road is rocky, uneven, rutted from heavy rains - and the owners never maintain it.

It's not for the timid.

Gotta find out sometime...and with today being glorious, I gave it all a whirl. The 325i - all 2.5L I6 RWD of it - handled it with aplomb. Tires never spun, never bottomed out once (had 10 inches of clearance fully loaded at the hitch), pulled the trailer like a champ, and yanked the boat out of the water just as easily as my SUV does.

When I pulled the boat out, the ramp was very busy. I drew some crazy looks when I backed in - yet got compliments from a couple old Mississippi River Rats after I pulled my boat out with nary an issue.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND...I caught 2 very nice chunky bulldozer largemouth twins around 17" plus a couple crappies too (for dinner) - plus I had myself a long ass boat ride lock to lock and back on pool 11.

A very cathartic 7 hours on the river...

First, the particulars...at home (near Kirkwood) per the Alliant outage map, no change whatsoever to the numbers that have been there since Wednesday. I must live in The Forgotten Land.

My SUV/boat launcher died a couple weeks ago. Electrical gremlins the best German vehicle mechanic in town can't figure out. So, knowing The Best Month Of Fishing In Iowa is coming up...I decided to order and mount a trailer hitch for my 2002 BMW 325i (that's right, laugh it up fuzzballs...gotta do what you gotta do). Installed it last week...wiring, the whole shebang. But only a class I, 2,000 capacity, 200 tongue weight.

My boat/trailer I'm guessing is pretty close to that 2,000 pounds. I only have 2.5 miles one way to the public ramp, but my frontage road is rocky, uneven, rutted from heavy rains - and the owners never maintain it.

It's not for the timid.

Gotta find out sometime...and with today being glorious, I gave it all a whirl. The 325i - all 2.5L I6 RWD of it - handled it with aplomb. Tires never spun, never bottomed out once (had 10 inches of clearance fully loaded at the hitch), pulled the trailer like a champ, and yanked the boat out of the water just as easily as my SUV does.

When I pulled the boat out, the ramp was very busy. I drew some crazy looks when I backed in - yet got compliments from a couple old Mississippi River Rats after I pulled my boat out with nary an issue.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND...I caught 2 very nice chunky bulldozer largemouth twins around 17" plus a couple crappies too (for dinner) - plus I had myself a long ass boat ride lock to lock and back on pool 11.

A day on the river is never a bad thing. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Reactions: bagdropper

You wouldn’t have any significant voltage drop in that 100’ cord. The bigger issue would be the draw on the generator.

Reactions: Moral

It's not for the timid.

I’m not a fisherman (a surprise given where I grew up and the fact that my grandfather was a commercial fisherman based in Clayton), but this story brought a big smile to my face.

You wouldn’t have any significant voltage drop in that 100’ cord. The bigger issue would be the draw on the generator.

no I was thinking the house with working electrical would supply the line. There are a number of areas where one side of the street and across the street is fine.

I’m not a fisherman (a surprise given where I grew up and the fact that my grandfather was a commercial fisherman based in Clayton), but this story brought a big smile to my face.

I thought about launching at the north Guttenberg ramp and heading up to a spot I know near Clayton. LOVE that pool, very scenic - though I don't know it as well for fishing and I wanted to catch fish, not search for them. Too damn hot for an all day ride.

Yeah...not proud of having to use an 18 year old German compact sedan to haul my boat around. I've been pickup/SUV searching and goddam they are expensive. If it starts and stops, it could be a complete rust bucket with 250,000 miles and people still want $5k for them.

Being the "job poorest bastard on this board" sucks. We all ain't millionaires. I just can't afford to put $25k into a pickup right now. Hell, $10k would be tough. So...$300 for the hitch/ball mount/harness sounded like a good fallback plan. Installed everything myself. It'll get me through until I find a truck.

The old codgers at the ramp came over to me after I pulled over to get everything ready for the trip home - one of them goes "that car pulled your boat out really nice, young man." I'm 58...they looked to be about 80. I could sense their disbelief.

I was the center of attention at the ramp. Everybody watching to see if I actually could do it. I felt like yelling "ANYBODY ELSE NEED THEIR BOAT PULLED OUT?"

Ya gotta do what you gotta do...hell, back in the early 90's I launched with a 1979 VW Rabbit for a couple summers.

Just wish it was about 10 degrees cooler...would have stayed out all day. Very glad I took sunscreen with me...brutal sun.

That's happening with several houses on my street.
Again, I hope that those "borrowing" power from other houses are shutting off their main breaker to as not to back feed the electrical lines where power is still down and people and working to restore/repair them.

I thought about launching at the north Guttenberg ramp and heading up to a spot I know near Clayton. LOVE that pool, very scenic - though I don't know it as well for fishing and I wanted to catch fish, not search for them. Too damn hot for an all day ride.

Yeah...not proud of having to use an 18 year old German compact sedan to haul my boat around. I've been pickup/SUV searching and goddam they are expensive. If it starts and stops, it could be a complete rust bucket with 250,000 miles and people still want $5k for them.

Being the "job poorest bastard on this board" sucks. We all ain't millionaires. I just can't afford to put $25k into a pickup right now. Hell, $10k would be tough. So...$300 for the hitch/ball mount/harness sounded like a good fallback plan. Installed everything myself. It'll get me through until I find a truck.

The old codgers at the ramp came over to me after I pulled over to get everything ready for the trip home - one of them goes "that car pulled your boat out really nice, young man." I'm 58...they looked to be about 80. I could sense their disbelief.

I was the center of attention at the ramp. Everybody watching to see if I actually could do it. I felt like yelling "ANYBODY ELSE NEED THEIR BOAT PULLED OUT?"

Ya gotta do what you gotta do...hell, back in the early 90's I launched with a 1979 VW Rabbit for a couple summers.

Just wish it was about 10 degrees cooler...would have stayed out all day. Very glad I took sunscreen with me...brutal sun.
A buddy of mine pulled his boat with a '98 Volvo sedan for years.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
no I was thinking the house with working electrical would supply the line. There are a number of areas where one side of the street and across the street is fine.
I’m not telling you to do this, but If someone was so inclined, the person with power could install or use a 30A breaker, use some 10/4 SO cord, run it across the street, land the wires on another 30A breaker in the panel without power and backfeed their house. Turn off the main on the house without power.

Good morning, friends. Let's talk about Alliant and their outage map details.
We know about the email they sent out, letting all current outages know that they hope to have most everybody back up by Tuesday.

So, now their outage map "pins" for specific details on specific areas have this "hope" updated. There's a whole lot of "Wednesday 12:00 AM" now.

So...color me skeptical I guess. It is almost like they threw us all a bone because if one wants to know specifics about their area - chances are they really have no clue on it.

I'll be heading home tomorrow afternoon. There's a very good chance I'll simply drop off dirty clothes, pick up clean clothes and mail plus anything else I may need for another entire week's time - and head right back out of town.

Good morning, friends. Let's talk about Alliant and their outage map details.
We know about the email they sent out, letting all current outages know that they hope to have most everybody back up by Tuesday.

So, now their outage map "pins" for specific details on specific areas have this "hope" updated. There's a whole lot of "Wednesday 12:00 AM" now.

So...color me skeptical I guess. It is almost like they threw us all a bone because if one wants to know specifics about their area - chances are they really have no clue on it.

I'll be heading home tomorrow afternoon. There's a very good chance I'll simply drop off dirty clothes, pick up clean clothes and mail plus anything else I may need for another entire week's time - and head right back out of town.
Uhoh, don’t show @fredjr82 that, it might set him off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT