ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines storm (also some Iowa towns of less importance with worse pizza)

We've had blips like that every day since they got the generator power going. Runs fine for 10-12 hours, cuts out for 10 minutes of so, then comes back on. I don't know if it's because they have to cut the power to hook up other areas of town, but it's happened once or twice each day.
My little sis (no pics) lives on the east side of Marion. Got power back last night at like 6 and she texted me, just effin stoked about it. Just sent me a text about 20 mins ago saying they lost it again. Hopefully it won't be down for too long.

My little sis (no pics) lives on the east side of Marion. Got power back last night at like 6 and she texted me, just effin stoked about it. Just sent me a text about 20 mins ago saying they lost it again. Hopefully it won't be down for too long.

We've had two blips in the last 30 minutes. Ran into an Alliant dude at the store in town right after one of them. He said they have to shut off the generator to do hook ups, then turn it on and check the power, then shut down to make adjustments.

He said if it's a 10-15 minute long outage, with another 1 or 2 that are less than 5, they are hooking people up. I'm not going to get mad about getting people electricity.

Reactions: McLovin32
Look at all you uppity people with your power, and your electricity.

The same Alliant guy told me it could be another 2-3 weeks before we get full power back, so...at least it's supposed to be decent for sleeping.

They just got the whole town up on generator power yesterday afternoon. Still saying late in the week before we get normal power restored. At least it isn't going to be hot this week.

Went to Marshalltown on Saturday and Pella yesterday. It's kind of shocking the difference. The whole drive up to M-Town looked like a bomb range, fields flattened, trees partially or fully down, all kinds of building damage. Down to Newton was the same. Saw a roof to a Morton building lying in the middle of a soybean field about 3-400m off the road...with no Morton building anywhere that it might have come from.

South of Newton...little to no damage. Spotty corn damage north of the river along Hwy 14, no damage at all the rest of the way to Monroe.
God ain’t gonna let anything happen to Pella, SSG! You have been around long enough to know this. ;)

Reactions: SSG T
I got phone calls and texts from 4 different friends from halfway across the country tonight after seeing us on the news.

They are flabbergasted at the damage. The friend from Tampa said "that's hurricane damage right there". A gal from Tulsa said it reminded her of Oklahoma City/El Reno tornado damage.

I got phone calls and texts from 4 different friends from halfway across the country tonight after seeing us on the news.

They are flabbergasted at the damage. The friend from Tampa said "that's hurricane damage right there". A gal from Tulsa said it reminded her of Oklahoma City/El Reno tornado damage.
The amount of widespread damage is truly incredible. It really is like a hurricane in comparison to the large geographic area impacted by it.

Just an example of some of the destruction.

5cc101_c1ea0fd6f5144c1cb085850bc1f399ca~mv2.webp

7 1/2 days without power at this point. Hopefully soon. We're still confident that we'll get it tomorrow or Wednesday at latest. City cleared all of the debris today

Linn Mar just pushed back school opening to September 14th. I'm betting the rest of the metro can't be too far behind in doing something similar.

Didn't know he graduated from the Trump school of politics. "If you say something mean about me I won't talk to you"
The best part about it is that the article he’s referring to is about 80% direct quotes from him. It’s not like it was some hit piece.

No power yet at my sister’s on the SE side or my BIL’s store in Marion. Their house has been deemed uninhabitable.

A woman from Alliant was walking around my neighborhood this morning. She’s out of Dubuque helping. She’s checking and making notes on what needs to happen with each house. Then she makes sure the workers have the supplies they need. A tree company out of Wisconsin will be cutting the trees on the power lines. Then an electrical company out of Canada will put in the poles and hook up wires. There's a ton of trees in backyards so that's going to take quite a bit of time. So maybe Thursday but probably Friday for power she said.

@Menace Sockeyes I know you’re right by me, so it’s probably about the same for you.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
A woman from Alliant was walking around my neighborhood this morning. She’s out of Dubuque helping. She’s checking and making notes on what needs to happen with each house. Then she makes sure the workers have the supplies they need. A tree company out of Wisconsin will be cutting the trees on the power lines. Then an electrical company out of Canada will put in the poles and hook up wires. There's a ton of trees in backyards so that's going to take quite a bit of time. So maybe Thursday but probably Friday for power she said.

@Menace Sockeyes I know you’re right by me, so it’s probably about the same for you.

Are

Are you close to 30th Street on the SE side?

Reading all of your accounts of the process, the logistics of coordinating the repairs sounds like a daunting process for the power companies.

Best wishes to all.

Pardon my language but **** Brad Hart. CR needed the National Guard immediately after the storm.

That pretty much mirrors Reynold's response. "Look at how great I did"...yeah, you waited 5 freaking days after a massive event in your own state where damage information was getting shared almost immediately. I mean, if contact with mayors of major cities that got hit is iffy because of downed power lines/telephone/cell/etc...get in a car and go there or on a helicopter and fly there and talk to them. I mean, I don't expect the governor to hit every town of <1000 that got hit. However, IA City and Cedar Rapids are both pretty big cities within your state. Get there and check things out and do something.

Reading all of your accounts of the process, the logistics of coordinating the repairs sounds like a daunting process for the power companies.

Best wishes to all.
Yep, it’s great to complain about them but they really are doing a hell of a job right now. Some of the houses I was helping at last week have 10’ piles of trees where the power companies need to be working, so the trees are going to have to be removed first. Those are probably the neighborhoods that Alliant has been hedging on whether they could have power back on by today

Reactions: MitchLL
Still out as of 8AM this morning on the NW side. Day #8 at 12:30 today. Thankfully the nights have been cool and a fan has really helped so far. My exW got power on Saturday so my kids are doing good although I'm missing them like crazy.

The city did remove the debris from the side of my house yesterday so I'm glad all of that is gone. Roofing contractor that was assigned by my insurance company is coming out today. Maybe I'll get a new roof for the price of my deductible.

Obviously you want help ASAP, but why is it at all surprising that it takes leaders awhile to assess the damage before requesting assistance?

you don’t just get to call the guard or FEMA and they show up- there is a process that must be followed. I am guessing it was nearly impossible for anyone to travel around town and get a reasonable assessment of damage immediately after the storm. Why is the immediate reaction always to accuse people of being horrible? What incentive did he have to wait to help his own town?

That pretty much mirrors Reynold's response. "Look at how great I did"...yeah, you waited 5 freaking days after a massive event in your own state where damage information was getting shared almost immediately. I mean, if contact with mayors of major cities that got hit is iffy because of downed power lines/telephone/cell/etc...get in a car and go there or on a helicopter and fly there and talk to them. I mean, I don't expect the governor to hit every town of <1000 that got hit. However, IA City and Cedar Rapids are both pretty big cities within your state. Get there and check things out and do something.
I think part of the problem was Pence was coming to town. Reynolds had to get her marching orders and all.

But you make a good point. It was obvious from the onset that CR was a war zone. The concerning part was Kim not being aware that the process could be expedited. That's kind of what State leaders do.

Who knows how much longer things would have taken if not for Malicki and the KGAN reporter?

Obviously you want help ASAP, but why is it at all surprising that it takes leaders awhile to assess the damage before requesting assistance?

Me personally, I'm not asking for one iota of help. I own a pimpin' chain saw, and am off work until the 31st when school hopefully starts back up. I've already been out for two hours this morning clearing the peripheral branches to get at the big ass tree trunks.

My front yard is full of branch piles I've cut, hauled, and stacked 100% by myself. The peak is almost as high as my home's gutter heights are.

It is the poorest of the poor in those apartment building complexes across town that need fast and free unobstructed by government bureaucracy that I'm upset about.

I saw a blurb on ABC News' website this morning. There's some apartment complex here in town that almost all the people living there are from I believe the Central African Republic, with most speaking at most very limited English.

Get. Them. Help. Get them a place with a roof over their heads NOW. Don't give me any crap about assessing needs because all we need to see is the TV news to assess what they need right friggin' now.

you don’t just get to call the guard or FEMA and they show up- there is a process that must be followed. I am guessing it was nearly impossible for anyone to travel around town and get a reasonable assessment of damage immediately after the storm. Why is the immediate reaction always to accuse people of being horrible? What incentive did he have to wait to help his own town?

Actually, the Governor can activate the Guard within minutes of a disaster. The IAARNG was in Parkersburg the same day as their tornado.

FEMA is obviously a different story as it's national and the Governor has no influence/control over it.

I think part of the problem was Pence was coming to town. Reynolds had to get her marching orders and all.

But you make a good point. It was obvious from the onset that CR was a war zone. The concerning part was Kim not being aware that the process could be expedited. That's kind of what State leaders do.

Who knows how much longer things would have taken if not for Malicki and the KGAN reporter?

no, leaders do not know every law and section of iowa code. Now rob sand is blaming the governor for possibly not knowing this exception in the code when HE COULD HAVE JUST TOLD HER and moved the process along.

I don’t know everything, but I also know I don’t know everything. This is why I rely on my colleagues, counsel, and other SME’s to help me make decisions. It appears that our elected auditor, who I voted for, withheld potential advice from the governor so he could spike a political football in a time of crisis.

Actually, the Governor can activate the Guard within minutes of a disaster. The IAARNG was in Parkersburg the same day as their tornado.

FEMA is obviously a different story as it's national and the Governor has no influence/control over it.

true, but for several reasons the news of the extent of this storm damage took longer to spread.

Thanks for the update. Wife talked to someone just now. We were lucky and got only minor fence damage (where both a large branch and our grill flew into it), some shingles on the roof cap blown off, and another large branch that hit our driveway (lucky that we were out or one or both of our cars would have been smashed). Bummed but not surprised about the power. Generator it is for a while longer, I guess.

You've got to be freaking kidding me. It took all of minutes to know this was a huge disaster. Suggesting the Governor needed to wait for people to drive around assessing the damage is asinine. Reports, video, photos, calls, pleas... they were largely ignored. And Reynolds not knowing or finding out what the disaster aid options were for days is unforgivable. She has to know that she can request the National Guard right away - not doing so is simple neglect. It's incompetence. Pure and simple.

You've got to be freaking kidding me. It took all of minutes to know this was a huge disaster. Suggesting the Governor needed to wait for people to drive around assessing the damage is asinine. Reports, video, photos, calls, pleas... they were largely ignored. And Reynolds not knowing or finding out what the disaster aid options were for days is unforgivable. She has to know that she can request the National Guard right away - not doing so is simple neglect. It's incompetence. Pure and simple.

lol, it’s just so easy!

Also NE sider here by Kennedy/Twin Pines....still no power.

If this happened in Des Moines the National Guard would have been activated before the sirens quit blowing.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT