ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis’s ‘Freedom Summer’ means no rainbow lights for Florida bridges

Oh wow. I was blessed to be fairly attractive in my younger days I guess (or so I’ve been told by my Mom) so thanks. And I suppose I could be dismissed by some who judge on a message board as a mean girl.

If that means I push back then heck yeah.
I plead guilty. I will always stand up for myself, cause sometimes that’s how you get through life. Again my parents brought all four of us up to take care of ourselves.

If you’re more accustomed to being around more passive women I’m sure you find me shocking. That’s okay.
Always the victim. I forgot that one for the bingo card. "Everyone is just so garsh darn mean to me and I didn't do nuttin'". Apologies. Lulz.

@goldmom why so passionate about defending this? Would you be offended by rainbow lights? I’m curious how many Floridians actually think this is necessary. It can’t be many, right? And of those that don’t find it necessary, but still love Ron Desantis, why are you ok with the Governor doing this? It seems like an unnecessary use of power, and Republicans are against this in theory, aren’t they?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Always the victim. I forgot that one for the bingo card. "Everyone is just so garsh darn mean to me and I didn't do nuttin'". Apologies. Lulz.
Wow. I don’t believe I put that forth at all and if you thought I was playing the victim I don’t know what to say.
I’m no one’s victim.

• Love
Reactions: KFsdisciple
Wow. I don’t believe I put that forth at all and if you thought I was playing the victim I don’t know what to say.
I’m no one’s victim.
Your self awareness is terrible. Should also be on the bingo card but you didn't realize that is what I was referring to. Which kinda proved the point.

Interestingly, this news clip from a few years ago seems to indicate that the rainbow lighting in St Pete started during the pandemic in 2020, when the parade & other functions had to be cancelled. They didn't light the Skyway Bridge that year, but in 2021 the FDOT approved it at the last minute. It was also lit in 22 and 23, but the new policy was pushed a few weeks ago. Everything I've seen indicates that it was done primarily because one of the Manatee County commissioners, Mike Rahm, pushed to eliminate the rainbow lights for Pride Week.

Interestingly, this news clip from a few years ago seems to indicate that the rainbow lighting in St Pete started during the pandemic in 2020, when the parade & other functions had to be cancelled. They didn't light the Skyway Bridge that year, but in 2021 the FDOT approved it at the last minute. It was also lit in 22 and 23, but the new policy was pushed a few weeks ago. Everything I've seen indicates that it was done primarily because one of the Manatee County commissioners, Mike Rahm, pushed to eliminate the rainbow lights for Pride Week.

This is what the article I found said about the 2020-2021 light controversy:

In 2020, FDOT denied St. Pete Pride’s request for a rainbow light display, along with other Pride requests for bridges across the state. It said at the time its light system was unable to display more than three colors at a time, and state policy limited the causes and holidays it could celebrate.

Statewide outrage caused the agency to reverse course and, in 2021, it began allowing rainbow displays on lighted bridges for Pride Month if the local county commissions approve them. St. Pete Pride has a month of activities and holds one of the country’s largest LGBTQ+ parades. Visit St. Pete/Clearwater, the local tourism promotion bureau and a major sponsor of St. Pete Pride, said the city’s largest event in 2023 had a total economic impact of more than $60.7 million, bringing in $3.5 million in tax revenue.

St. Pete Pride has twice paid the $700 needed to improve the Skyway computer program that controls the light show over the last three years. The theme runs over four minutes and is dynamic, switching from vibrant rainbow colors to the subdued light blue and pink colors of the transgender flag. The colors move and, at times, race across the bridge.

Reactions: goldmom
This is what the article I found said about the 2020-2021 light controversy:

In 2020, FDOT denied St. Pete Pride’s request for a rainbow light display, along with other Pride requests for bridges across the state. It said at the time its light system was unable to display more than three colors at a time, and state policy limited the causes and holidays it could celebrate.

Statewide outrage caused the agency to reverse course and, in 2021, it began allowing rainbow displays on lighted bridges for Pride Month if the local county commissions approve them. St. Pete Pride has a month of activities and holds one of the country’s largest LGBTQ+ parades. Visit St. Pete/Clearwater, the local tourism promotion bureau and a major sponsor of St. Pete Pride, said the city’s largest event in 2023 had a total economic impact of more than $60.7 million, bringing in $3.5 million in tax revenue.

St. Pete Pride has twice paid the $700 needed to improve the Skyway computer program that controls the light show over the last three years. The theme runs over four minutes and is dynamic, switching from vibrant rainbow colors to the subdued light blue and pink colors of the transgender flag. The colors move and, at times, race across the bridge.
our city council approved it and it went forward.

I know you don't know what that is. Kinda proved my point, actually. Bless your heart.
LOL I bet you think you got me on that one…seriously I don’t know what a smooth brain is; never heard the term. Is it important? I know you think so.
You have that “I’m a Doctor so I’m smarter than you” vibe.
It’s all you’ve got.

• Love
Proverbs 11:2: "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom"

Proverbs 16:18: "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall"

Ok and you are quibbling over the use of the term "pride"?

Is it a sin to take pride in your work? Take pride in who you are?

I'm guessing most of these people are not Christians anyways.

They want to have a celebrations a lot of local communities want to join into those celebrations. I think they should have that choice.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Being gay is an unnatural, sexual orientation that is seen very rarely in nature outside of humans, and is an outlier and rare amongst humans. Why in the world do we dedicate a month to gay people to celebrate their gayness?

Being gay is an unnatural, sexual orientation that is seen very rarely in nature outside of humans, and is an outlier and rare amongst humans. Why in the world do we dedicate a month to gay people to celebrate their gayness?
Does anyone force you to participate in any gay celebrations during that month? Just ignore it like the vast majority of heterosexual Americans. Trying to overthink it is obviously hurting your tiny bigoted brain.

Does anyone force you to participate in any gay celebrations during that month? Just ignore it like the vast majority of heterosexual Americans. Trying to overthink it is obviously hurting your tiny bigoted brain.
They know they can't force people to accept it, so instead, they force you to walk down the street with their rainbow banners on main street or drive across bridges with rainbow lights.

• Haha
Reactions: TC Nole OX
What makes Pride a political statement in your opinion?

This article encapsulates the position quite well.

I’m gay, but I’ll pass on Pride Month

June is nationally recognized as LGBT Pride Month, with events in major cities across the country planned to celebrate gay history and social progress, like last weekend’s Pride Parade in Washington, D.C.

But even though I’m proud to be gay, you won’t find me at any rallies this June. The Pride movement has been hijacked by a left-wing agenda, and some of its advocacy is actually setting gay people back.

A quick look at the national Pride website reveals not a neutral agenda advocating for all gay people, but a blatant endorsement of progressivism — even on issues that have little to do with gay rights. Advocate.com, a news website affiliated with the Pride movement, contains a glowing profile of gun-control advocate Emma Gonzalez on its homepage, even nominating her for their “Hall of Fame.” Another article openly calls on gay people to “fight for gun reform.”

The Pride rallies last year in New York, Boston, and Los Angeles could have easily been mistaken for the gun-control-oriented March for Our Lives, pro-choice Women’s March, or any other left-wing rally. Rainbow flags reading “Make America Gay Again” openly mock President Trump’s signature slogan, and ignore the obvious reality that America has never been more gay-friendly than it is in 2018. One anti-Trump chant at last year’s D.C. rally went viral — “We’re here, we’re queer, get that Cheeto out of here.”

Apparently, so-called advocates of LGBT equality don’t think that gay people are capable of supporting gun rights or President Trump, even though he won 15 percent of the LGBT vote. The 2017 Charlotte Pride rally even went so far as to bar a pro-Trump group, “Deplorable Pride,” from entering a float in the parade, because their version of pride was deemed “anti-LGBTQ.” For all their talk about gay rights, too many in the Pride movement don’t think gay people should have the right to think for themselves.

I may not personally support Trump, but I want no part of a movement that strips gay people of our individuality. By conflating gay pride with an anti-Trump attitude and support for progressivism, advocates insinuate that gay people must be liberal, and in doing so, they succumb to the same stereotyping they claim to be #resisting. An authentic approach to LGBT equality would treat gay people as individuals with different life experiences and values that shape our political views, not just shove us into a box with Bernie Sanders.

The sinister side effects of the modern Pride movement don’t stop there. It’s understandable that after decades of oppression and discrimination, gay people might want to let loose and celebrate their sexuality — but too often, these marches devolve into the same stereotypes of sexual deviancy that they’re supposed to be dispelling.

A 2015 Pride rally got national news coverage after an ISIS flag featuring dildos and butt plugs was mistaken for the real thing. At almost any Pride event, you’ll find scantily-clad marchers, rainbow-themed sex toys, and profane posters.

The hypersexualization of the Pride movement is so extreme that it’s reinforcing the biases some Americans still have against gay people. Attitudes toward gay rights are shifting in the right direction, but a portion of the country remains deeply opposed to homosexuality, and views it as a deviant, immoral lifestyle. How will we change their mind? This isn’t an easy question, but progress certainly won’t be promoted by streaking through the streets in the nude, as some men did at last year’s Pride rally in New York.

If anything, real societal acceptance comes through assimilation — after all, that’s how we won public support for same-sex marriage. Jonah Goldberg writes about this in his book Suicide of the West: “Why did the struggle for gay marriage succeed? Because it appealed not to radicalism but to bourgeois values about family formation.” At the Republican National Convention, tech entrepreneur Peter Thiel said “I am proud to be gay … but most of all I am proud to be an American.” A nervous moment passed, and then the conservative-filled stadium exploded in applause.

This modest approach might not be sexy, but it produces results. Fox News commentator Guy Benson made a splash with a viral video he did for Prager University: “I’m Gay … Conservative … So What?” In the video, he says “My values define me, while my sexual orientation sometimes feels more like a footnote.” His reserved approach to his sexuality outraged some on the left, but when Benson recently announced his engagement to a man, he was widely congratulated by conservatives, even by members of the religious right like Ben Shapiro. If Pride advocates really want to increase LGBT acceptance, they should embrace this approach.

Don’t get me wrong: The Pride marches aren’t all bad. They do place important emphasis on AIDS awareness, and gay love is worthy of recognition. But as long as the Pride movement puppets progressivism and engages in self-defeating hypersexualization, I won’t be joining in the celebration.

Brad Polumbo (@brad_polumbo) is a writer for Young Voices.

This article encapsulates the position quite well.

I’m gay, but I’ll pass on Pride Month

June is nationally recognized as LGBT Pride Month, with events in major cities across the country planned to celebrate gay history and social progress, like last weekend’s Pride Parade in Washington, D.C.

But even though I’m proud to be gay, you won’t find me at any rallies this June. The Pride movement has been hijacked by a left-wing agenda, and some of its advocacy is actually setting gay people back.

A quick look at the national Pride website reveals not a neutral agenda advocating for all gay people, but a blatant endorsement of progressivism — even on issues that have little to do with gay rights. Advocate.com, a news website affiliated with the Pride movement, contains a glowing profile of gun-control advocate Emma Gonzalez on its homepage, even nominating her for their “Hall of Fame.” Another article openly calls on gay people to “fight for gun reform.”

The Pride rallies last year in New York, Boston, and Los Angeles could have easily been mistaken for the gun-control-oriented March for Our Lives, pro-choice Women’s March, or any other left-wing rally. Rainbow flags reading “Make America Gay Again” openly mock President Trump’s signature slogan, and ignore the obvious reality that America has never been more gay-friendly than it is in 2018. One anti-Trump chant at last year’s D.C. rally went viral — “We’re here, we’re queer, get that Cheeto out of here.”

Apparently, so-called advocates of LGBT equality don’t think that gay people are capable of supporting gun rights or President Trump, even though he won 15 percent of the LGBT vote. The 2017 Charlotte Pride rally even went so far as to bar a pro-Trump group, “Deplorable Pride,” from entering a float in the parade, because their version of pride was deemed “anti-LGBTQ.” For all their talk about gay rights, too many in the Pride movement don’t think gay people should have the right to think for themselves.

I may not personally support Trump, but I want no part of a movement that strips gay people of our individuality. By conflating gay pride with an anti-Trump attitude and support for progressivism, advocates insinuate that gay people must be liberal, and in doing so, they succumb to the same stereotyping they claim to be #resisting. An authentic approach to LGBT equality would treat gay people as individuals with different life experiences and values that shape our political views, not just shove us into a box with Bernie Sanders.

The sinister side effects of the modern Pride movement don’t stop there. It’s understandable that after decades of oppression and discrimination, gay people might want to let loose and celebrate their sexuality — but too often, these marches devolve into the same stereotypes of sexual deviancy that they’re supposed to be dispelling.

A 2015 Pride rally got national news coverage after an ISIS flag featuring dildos and butt plugs was mistaken for the real thing. At almost any Pride event, you’ll find scantily-clad marchers, rainbow-themed sex toys, and profane posters.

The hypersexualization of the Pride movement is so extreme that it’s reinforcing the biases some Americans still have against gay people. Attitudes toward gay rights are shifting in the right direction, but a portion of the country remains deeply opposed to homosexuality, and views it as a deviant, immoral lifestyle. How will we change their mind? This isn’t an easy question, but progress certainly won’t be promoted by streaking through the streets in the nude, as some men did at last year’s Pride rally in New York.

If anything, real societal acceptance comes through assimilation — after all, that’s how we won public support for same-sex marriage. Jonah Goldberg writes about this in his book Suicide of the West: “Why did the struggle for gay marriage succeed? Because it appealed not to radicalism but to bourgeois values about family formation.” At the Republican National Convention, tech entrepreneur Peter Thiel said “I am proud to be gay … but most of all I am proud to be an American.” A nervous moment passed, and then the conservative-filled stadium exploded in applause.

This modest approach might not be sexy, but it produces results. Fox News commentator Guy Benson made a splash with a viral video he did for Prager University: “I’m Gay … Conservative … So What?” In the video, he says “My values define me, while my sexual orientation sometimes feels more like a footnote.” His reserved approach to his sexuality outraged some on the left, but when Benson recently announced his engagement to a man, he was widely congratulated by conservatives, even by members of the religious right like Ben Shapiro. If Pride advocates really want to increase LGBT acceptance, they should embrace this approach.

Don’t get me wrong: The Pride marches aren’t all bad. They do place important emphasis on AIDS awareness, and gay love is worthy of recognition. But as long as the Pride movement puppets progressivism and engages in self-defeating hypersexualization, I won’t be joining in the celebration.

Brad Polumbo (@brad_polumbo) is a writer for Young Voices.
Sound's like Brad needs to get involved with those that organize Pride celebrations. His own feelings prove that the LGBTQ community members are not all on the left. Being LGBTQ is not a political statement. Ever hear of the Log Cabin Republicans, they are definitely not leftists. There are plenty of conservative LGBTQ people. If they feel under represented at Pride, they need to participate not complain about being left out.

Sound's like Brad needs to get involved with those that organize Pride celebrations. His own feelings prove that the LGBTQ community members are not all on the left. Being LGBTQ is not a political statement. Ever hear of the Log Cabin Republicans, they are definitely not leftists. There are plenty of conservative LGBTQ people. If they feel under represented at Pride, they need to participate not complain about being left out.

He's not saying that LGBTQ is poltical. He's saying that the pride movement is poltical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT