ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis to assist man charged with beheading Satanic Temple statue

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis says he will support the legal defense of a Mississippi man charged with vandalizing The Satanic Temple's display inside the Iowa State Capitol building.

Michael Cassidy, 35, a former congressional candidate from Lauderdale, Miss., was charged on Thursday with fourth-degree criminal mischief, according to the Iowa Department of Public Safety. The charge carries a penalty of up to a year in jail and a $2,560 fine.

Cassidy, a Christian and former military officer, said in an interview with The Republic Sentinel that he tore down and beheaded a statue of Baphomet, a ram-headed figure often used to represent Satan, that was part of an altar erected by the temple inside the Capitol.

A display installed by the Satanic Temple Iowa is seen at the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023. A man seated in front of the display prays in Latin. (Caleb McCullough/Gazette-Lee Des Moines Bureau)

The Satanic Temple of Iowa issued a statement on Facebook Thursday saying its display had been “destroyed beyond repair.”

The display, which was permitted for two weeks under state rules that permit religious installations, has sparked outrage and national debate and calls from Republicans for its removal. Others have argued the display is religious expression protected by the First Amendment.

In a statement Tuesday, Iowa Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds said she disagrees with the display but implored opponents to engage in speech and prayer, rather than remove the display.

DeSantis posted on social media platform X, formerly Twitter: “Satan has no place in our society and should not be recognized as a ‘religion’ by the federal government. I'll chip in to contribute to this veteran's legal defense fund. Good prevails over evil — that's the American spirit.”

Satan has no place in our society and should not be recognized as a "religion" by the federal government. I'll chip in to contribute to this veteran's legal defense fund.

Good prevails over evil -- that's the American spirit. https://t.co/p1vmTcl8c9
— Ron DeSantis (@RonDeSantis) December 15, 2023

A crowdfunding campaign was launched for Cassidy's legal fund, which raised more than $20,000 in less than three hours before being paused, and included a $10,000 pledge from conservative activist group Turning Point USA.

Michael Cassidy just beheaded a monument to Satan inside the Iowa State Capitol building. The Satanic Temple of Iowa is pressing charges and Cassidy is facing fourth-degree criminal mischief.

Turning Point USA is proud to pledge $10,000 to his legal defense fund.

We stand with… pic.twitter.com/eqbnNGAzfh
— Charlie Kirk (@charliekirk11) December 14, 2023

Cassidy posted on X that he had reopened the fund after being “notified of more potential legal charges.”

I’ve been notified of more potential legal charges unfortunately, so I’ve opened the legal fund donation back up.

All donations in excess of what is directly related to my defense shall be donated to a Christian legal fund.

Thank you again.

https://t.co/RnWk1c1Rrh
— Michael Cassidy 🇺🇸 (@VoteCassidy) December 15, 2023

Subscribe now and receive a roundup of Iowa politics news sent directly to your inbox.​

Cassidy, in his interview with The Sentinel, which said it sponsored the crowdfunding campaign, said he destroyed the satanic altar to "awaken Christians to the anti-Christian acts promoted by our government."

"Anti-Christian values have steadily been mainstreamed more and more in recent decades, and Christians have largely acted like the proverbial frog in the boiling pot of water,“ he told the publication.

Cassidy previously ran for a Mississippi congressional seat in 2022, losing by a wide margin to Rep. Michael Guest, R-Miss., in the primary.

The non-theistic religious organization does not believe in or worship Satan but uses satanic imagery to promote skepticism and curiosity and as a symbol representing "the eternal rebel" against arbitrary authority and social norms, according to its website.

The Satanic Temple says it’s members “believe in reason, empathy, the pursuit of knowledge.”

The tenets portrayed on the statue, the group said, advocate “for bodily autonomy, a rejection of arbitrary authority, recognizing our own fallibility, and inspiring nobility in thought and action, which we hope enlightens the viewer to our beliefs and inspires one to reflect upon their own approach to the world.”

The Iowa Atheists and Freethinkers condemned the vandalism in a news release and accused Republican elected officials, including Reynolds, of encouraging it.

“Despite First Amendment protections and a clear-cut case of equal access and protection under the law, the Satanic Temple display was destroyed this week,” Jason Benell, president of the Iowa Atheists and Freethinkers, wrote in a statement. “Not only was that display targeted, but it was also targeted specifically by Christians, for sectarian religious reasons. This targeting was encouraged by legislators and even had the Iowa Governor, Kim Reynolds, calling it ‘evil.’ This is unacceptable.”

Benell added: “When our leaders make it permissible to destroy religious — or non-religious- displays they find religiously objectionable, they are abdicating their responsibility to safeguard the freedom of expression of the citizens they represent.”

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis says he will support the legal defense of a Mississippi man charged with vandalizing The Satanic Temple's display inside the Iowa State Capitol building.

Michael Cassidy, 35, a former congressional candidate from Lauderdale, Miss., was charged on Thursday with fourth-degree criminal mischief, according to the Iowa Department of Public Safety. The charge carries a penalty of up to a year in jail and a $2,560 fine.

Cassidy, a Christian and former military officer, said in an interview with The Republic Sentinel that he tore down and beheaded a statue of Baphomet, a ram-headed figure often used to represent Satan, that was part of an altar erected by the temple inside the Capitol.

A display installed by the Satanic Temple Iowa is seen at the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023. A man seated in front of the display prays in Latin. (Caleb McCullough/Gazette-Lee Des Moines Bureau)

The Satanic Temple of Iowa issued a statement on Facebook Thursday saying its display had been “destroyed beyond repair.”

The display, which was permitted for two weeks under state rules that permit religious installations, has sparked outrage and national debate and calls from Republicans for its removal. Others have argued the display is religious expression protected by the First Amendment.

In a statement Tuesday, Iowa Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds said she disagrees with the display but implored opponents to engage in speech and prayer, rather than remove the display.

DeSantis posted on social media platform X, formerly Twitter: “Satan has no place in our society and should not be recognized as a ‘religion’ by the federal government. I'll chip in to contribute to this veteran's legal defense fund. Good prevails over evil — that's the American spirit.”

A crowdfunding campaign was launched for Cassidy's legal fund, which raised more than $20,000 in less than three hours before being paused, and included a $10,000 pledge from conservative activist group Turning Point USA.

Cassidy posted on X that he had reopened the fund after being “notified of more potential legal charges.”

Subscribe now and receive a roundup of Iowa politics news sent directly to your inbox.​

Cassidy, in his interview with The Sentinel, which said it sponsored the crowdfunding campaign, said he destroyed the satanic altar to "awaken Christians to the anti-Christian acts promoted by our government."

"Anti-Christian values have steadily been mainstreamed more and more in recent decades, and Christians have largely acted like the proverbial frog in the boiling pot of water,“ he told the publication.

Cassidy previously ran for a Mississippi congressional seat in 2022, losing by a wide margin to Rep. Michael Guest, R-Miss., in the primary.

The non-theistic religious organization does not believe in or worship Satan but uses satanic imagery to promote skepticism and curiosity and as a symbol representing "the eternal rebel" against arbitrary authority and social norms, according to its website.

The Satanic Temple says it’s members “believe in reason, empathy, the pursuit of knowledge.”

The tenets portrayed on the statue, the group said, advocate “for bodily autonomy, a rejection of arbitrary authority, recognizing our own fallibility, and inspiring nobility in thought and action, which we hope enlightens the viewer to our beliefs and inspires one to reflect upon their own approach to the world.”

The Iowa Atheists and Freethinkers condemned the vandalism in a news release and accused Republican elected officials, including Reynolds, of encouraging it.

“Despite First Amendment protections and a clear-cut case of equal access and protection under the law, the Satanic Temple display was destroyed this week,” Jason Benell, president of the Iowa Atheists and Freethinkers, wrote in a statement. “Not only was that display targeted, but it was also targeted specifically by Christians, for sectarian religious reasons. This targeting was encouraged by legislators and even had the Iowa Governor, Kim Reynolds, calling it ‘evil.’ This is unacceptable.”

Benell added: “When our leaders make it permissible to destroy religious — or non-religious- displays they find religiously objectionable, they are abdicating their responsibility to safeguard the freedom of expression of the citizens they represent.”
Stay in Florida, Pudding Fingers.

I remember when Republicans believed in law and order.
If he'd blocked a street as a protest against the display would DeSantis have offered to run him over with his car?
Yup!!! Florida has the play stupid games win stupid prizes law. I'm looking forward to the day when I get to run over an idiot.

All of a sudden the left no longer wants a separation of church and state...hmmm
No. The left is telling the right that if they don't want a separation of church and state and attempt to impose the BS their preferred views on the rest of us, the right will have to suffer the BS of their non-preferred views as well. But I'm not surprised that you don't get it.

No. The left is telling the right that if they don't want a separation of church and state and attempt to impose the BS their preferred views on the rest of us, the right will have to suffer the BS of their non-preferred views as well. But I'm not surprised that you don't get it.
You don't get to cry like babies about it for years, and now cheer this on because now you're trolling the right. It just means you don't really want a separation of church and state, you just don't like Christianity.

At least we're all being honest now.

You don't get to cry like babies about it for years, and now cheer this on because now you're trolling the right. It just means you don't really want a separation of church and state, you just don't like Christianity.

While "we're being honest," take a minute to explain why, if the First Amendment means anything at all, any particular religious display belongs in our capital, and if so, how one should be favored over others.

All leftists are cheering for is the notion of equal protection under the law, and what appears to be the empty hope that those on the right will someday develop the capacity to imagine a conception of freedom that doesn't include the freedom to impose their beliefs on others.

If we have to have religion in the capitol all religions should be welcome. Only the left seems to understand this. It's your side who only wants religion that you agree with.
Again, it's pretty hypocritical of both sides... I actually agree if you you're gonna allow it for Christianity or Judism or whatever you gotta let this one stand too.

But the let's perpetual argument has often been separation of church and state, but now that it triggers Republicans/Christians now it's totally okay to have this stuff in the capital

• Haha
Reactions: HawkMD and Wendy79

Why don’t I get to do that? It actually sounds fun. And FWIW, I don’t mind Christians, or Christianity. I do think they are hypocrites though, and times like this they deserve to be called out for that hypocrisy.

Because you're being every bit the hypocrite you just accused others of.
It's not hypocrisy to demonstrate the point out the ridiculous outcome of ridiculous rules imposed by others.

I didn't like watching baseball as much with the shift, and there were many managers who felt like the shift was bad for baseball. But it didn't make them hypocrites for employing the shift when it was legal.

It's not hypocrisy to demonstrate the point out the ridiculous outcome of ridiculous rules imposed by others.

I didn't like watching baseball as much with the shift, and there were many managers who felt like the shift was bad for baseball. But it didn't make them hypocrites for employing the shift when it was legal.
The hypocrisy here is being okay with it now because what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Either you want separation of church and state or you don't. I've already said if you're gonna allow other religious stuff in the capital you have to allow it all, even this crap.

Where are all the separation of church and state people on this? They're cheering it on.

The hypocrisy here is being okay with it now because what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Either you want separation of church and state or you don't. I've already said if you're gonna allow other religious stuff in the capital you have to allow it all, even this crap.

Where are all the separation of church and state people on this? They're cheering it on.
I'm more than fine not allowing this statue along with the Ten commandments anywhere near the government. Personally I'm sick of religion in government.

Deriving amusement from seeing the Pharisees that run the state of Iowa reap the whirlwind isn't hypocritical. It's hard to not be amused that they were seemingly unable to foresee the possibility that rules that they created to favor religious expression would also have to be applied to the religious groups that they don't favor.

Reynolds/Iowa GOP claim to become the new Mississippi has gone too far! Importing terrorists when we have a state full of Christian’s to do the job!

Come on Iowa! Buck up! We are more than capable of doing iur own dirty work! This state is full of bigots, intolerant morons and religious wing-nuts! We don’t need no Mississippi interlopers to do Iowa’s work! Where’s that irrepressible ignorant Christian intolerant spirit? Has Iowa west of I-35 disappeared? Let’s go Iowa! Maybe we can pass an extra tax deduction for being religiously intolerant?

Because you're being every bit the hypocrite you just accused others of.
I do t think I’m being a hypocrite at all. I don’t want the Christian church to have a display. I don’t want the satanic church to have a display. The Muslims. Hindi. Jews. Whatever. I’m all for complete separation. I enjoy pointing out the hypocrisy of those who only want their cult to have a display.

I do t think I’m being a hypocrite at all. I don’t want the Christian church to have a display. I don’t want the satanic church to have a display. The Muslims. Hindi. Jews. Whatever. I’m all for complete separation. I enjoy pointing out the hypocrisy of those who only want their cult to have a display.
I guess I didn't hear any out cry from the SOC&S people when the display went up. It just seemed like all of a sudden because it bothered the right people, they were fine with it.

As opposed to having the Courts demandING/irdering the display?
Dictators don’t care about court orders. Dictators wipe their asses with court orders.

Some dictators these Republicans are, allowing a statue of Baphomet to be displayed in the state capitol like that. I guarantee there weren’t any menorahs in the Reichstag.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Pandering to evangelicals is the only option DeSantis has left, now that he has thoroughly alienated moderates.

It won’t work in the short term because evangelicals already sold their souls to Trump. But, there is still a chance that Trump drops out of the race due to legal or health issues, leaving DeSantis MAGA heir apparent.

The Satanic Temple had every right under the law to display their statue and DeSantis should stay out of this issue and the guy who damaged it broke the law and should accept the consequences of doing so.

But let’s be honest here, this is exactly the outcome the Satanic Temple was hoping for. They don’t care about their statue. They don’t even believe in Satan. They just use the name and the imagery because they know it stirs up shit. Their whole purpose is to get religious displays off of government property. And this controversy is precisely what they wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFsdisciple
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT