ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis

Analysis of the settlement.

I didn't get to read it all because I'm not going to pay to read it, but I read enough to see that both sides got what they wanted in the end... politics at play. Give a little take a little. RDS got his talking points, Disney gets their lobbyists in place to make sure the relationship between them and the state are bruised but not broken.

Big winner is the state of Florida.

Reactions: goldmom
Yawn.
Every year - in every state - budgets are passed. And vetoes are made. And in DC as well.

Those who submitted budget requests and proposals understand this. Many submit requests for items that might not pass this year but proponents are often encouraged to submit them again next year, sometimes with a tweak or a modified amount.

They also sometimes inflate the dollars that are requested and are in fact satisfied if they end up with a lesser amount. Veterans of the process understand this and it’s how things are done.

Every area of the state and every county is affected by this.
Headlines almost never tell the full story but they are often useful when co-opted by those who are more agenda driven than anything else.

Some of us even know that it’s our money that’s being spent and while we know that there are differing viewpoints on how it’s spent, we all should pay closer attention.
Heck I might want everything allocated to building more roads and changing the time capsule good old boy culture at FDOT but we know that’s not gonna work.

• Love
Reactions: KFsdisciple
Would you like to do a real comparison or just call me a numpty?

jason-segel-why-not-both-da71xd735fjzvth6.gif

No; she's citing an actual lawsuit.

Something you apparently cannot understand.
"Politico reported earlier this month that both Desguin and Carpenter were investigated by FDLE and were found to have violated workplace rules. Prosecutors declined to pursue criminal charges."

While he declined to comment on the lawsuit, Redfern on Thursday pointed to the findings of that probe and a previous comment by FDLE's communications director, Gretl Plessinger: "Shane Desguin and Patricia Carpenter created workplace chaos, endangered the safety of other employees, and acted dishonestly and unprofessionally."

Yeah he's the "Top Cop" in the lawsuit. Yawn.

Reactions: goldmom
DeSantis was similar to a majority of Florida parents who think that 5 and 6 year olds don’t need to be taught about gender identity in class.
They don’t need to have material in their primary library about sexual orientation or activity.
What their school day needs to focus on is a strong foundation for reading skills, early math, and the ability to write legibly.
And as for “Disney” if you look beyond the headline, you learn that it was the California performing artists who were so strident in their efforts to get the Disney brass who headquarter in California to squawk about a bill which NEVER contained the word “gay”. No books are banned outright - they are shelved in an age appropriate setting like junior and senior high school libraries. The material is also available at a public library or a bookstore where any child can use their allowance to buy that book. Why are you choosing to cling to a discredited narrative?

And furthermore they did themselves no favors when their 50 year old sweetheart deal with the State came to the attention of other large entertainment venues who got no such treatment by the Democrats who RAN THE STATE 100% at the time.
You know what’s kind of interesting? When that deal was made Florida was all good old boy Democrats and Cali was largely Republican-especially Orange County California.
And if it’s so ignorant shameful and backwards has Disney quietly agreed to terms and pledged to move forward with expansion plans valued in the billions of dollars?
Could it be that they really need the revenue from those $6.29 frozen Mickey shaped popsicles? The one day ticket now priced at $99???
(Unless you’re a Florida resident and get the discount)
So after little ronny d went after Disney and blocked their ability to have a special exception district (which will cost the residents of those 2 countries millions in taxes) he allowed Universal to have a special district for they properties.

So after little ronny d went after Disney and blocked their ability to have a special exception district (which will cost the residents of those 2 countries millions in taxes) he allowed Universal to have a special district for they properties.
You mean the Orange County Board of Commissioners approved a district that Universal will use to finance expansion of the park? The one limited to just over 700 acres?
Yeah, that one.
CDD’s are approved frequently in Florida. It’s how the new roads and sewers in new neighborhoods get paid for so others around them don’t get billed for the improvements.

Which 2 countries? The USA and mexico?

You mean the Orange County Board of Commissioners approved a district that Universal will use to finance expansion of the park? The one limited to just over 700 acres?
Yeah, that one.
CDD’s are approved frequently in Florida. It’s how the new roads and sewers in new neighborhoods get paid for so others around them don’t get billed for the improvements.
Why is Universal allowed to have one and Disney now not?

Why is Universal allowed to have one and Disney now not?
I think the question should be posed to the OC Commissioners, don’t you?
And the comparison to a deal reached between the State under Democratic Governor Haydon Burns in 1967 and the terms for Universal and local government would be enlightening in illustrating the difference, don’t you agree?

So, of the over 1900 special taxing districts in Florida, only the one granted to Disney was a bad deal for the citizens and gave the holder unfair advantages? Really? Really?
You and I are old enough to remember as just kids what it was like in Florida in the mid-60’s. Palmetto scrub and slash pine and in that part of the state, lots of citrus groves. Attractions were Weeki Wachee and Cypress Gardens. Busch Gardens in Tampa was a shadow of its current self.
The “tax incentives” offered by the State in 1967 seemed like a small price to pay for the huge number of jobs and the enormous jump in tourist revenue. No one doubts it was a huge thing and Disney asked for and got whatever they wanted. In 1965 there were about 8 million people in Florida versus about 24 million now - threefold increase.

You’re a contractor and you know that CDD’s or special tax districts here in FL are what has fed the huge growth in master planned housing communities. Those were not a “thing” in 1966 and certainly not written up like the deal Disney got.
Universal didn’t get that deal to come here and I’m willing to bet that even this tax break incentive deal they just got still isn’t a carbon copy of what Disney got almost 60 years ago.

You and I are old enough to remember as just kids what it was like in Florida in the mid-60’s. Palmetto scrub and slash pine and in that part of the state, lots of citrus groves. Attractions were Weeki Wachee and Cypress Gardens. Busch Gardens in Tampa was a shadow of its current self.
The “tax incentives” offered by the State in 1967 seemed like a small price to pay for the huge number of jobs and the enormous jump in tourist revenue. No one doubts it was a huge thing and Disney asked for and got whatever they wanted. In 1965 there were about 8 million people in Florida versus about 24 million now - threefold increase.

You’re a contractor and you know that CDD’s or special tax districts here in FL are what has fed the huge growth in master planned housing communities. Those were not a “thing” in 1966 and certainly not written up like the deal Disney got.
Universal didn’t get that deal to come here and I’m willing to bet that even this tax break incentive deal they just got still isn’t a carbon copy of what Disney got almost 60 years ago.
So, just one out of 1900+ was not a good deal for the State and citizens within the district. Just one.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Par for the course. Commit your crimes in the open. Just like his fearless cult leader.
Maybe you should google Tom Kennedy and his bio before you automatically swallow the SoFla Democrat swill.
Poor guy. You’d think the Democrats had almost won the Governorship or something.
😂

I know you have lived in Florida a long time (so have I), but you really need to read up on the history of how Walt Disney World was developed. The land (covering 39 square miles over 2 counties) was purchased in secret so that the various land owners would not know that Disney was buying the property for their amusement park. No one knew Disney was coming here until almost all of the land was purchased. The taxing district was created out of necessity because neither Orange nor Osceola counties could provide the utilities and infrastructure required by Disney. BTW, Republican Governor Kirk signed the legislation creating the special taxing district. It is laughable that you keep talking about the "deal" that Disney got. Whatever incentives Disney has received is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions of sales tax revenue it has generated, the jobs it has created (including all the construction jobs over the years), and the many businesses that have benefited from Disney being here.

I know you have lived in Florida a long time (so have I), but you really need to read up on the history of how Walt Disney World was developed. The land (covering 39 square miles over 2 counties) was purchased in secret so that the various land owners would not know that Disney was buying the property for their amusement park. No one knew Disney was coming here until almost all of the land was purchased. The taxing district was created out of necessity because neither Orange nor Osceola counties could provide the utilities and infrastructure required by Disney. BTW, Republican Governor Kirk signed the legislation creating the special taxing district. It is laughable that you keep talking about the "deal" that Disney got. Whatever incentives Disney has received is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions of sales tax revenue it has generated, the jobs it has created (including all the construction jobs over the years), and the many businesses that have benefited from Disney being here.
Good post. I don’t believe the tax incentives were the issue (if there even were any). It was the self-governance aspect that was important.

Some here are acting like Disney has been sucking the public teat for 50 years, but it was Disney that built and developed and maintained all the roads and infrastructure within Reedy Creek. It’s why the legislature and DeSantis screwed up with the bill they drafted and rushed through after Disney dared challenge little man. By dissolving Reedy Creek all those costs would now fall on local govt and local taxpayers.

So they backtracked on pretty much all of it and essentially the only thing that has changed is the name, and the handpicked board of DeSsntis minions like Mons for Threeways founder and other kooks. I believe I read the settlement even tied the new board’s hands further in retaining Disney control over development decisions, etc.

Was the law’s passage ever in doubt?

No.

Face it, this was DeSantis throwing a hissy fit because some people challenged him.

He's Trump lite....just slightly less of a piece of shit human. What kind of person even thinks "slave's learned valuable life skills", much less want it taught in schools? A piece of shit human....but that's MAGA for you. Trump, his minions, and a very large percentage of his supporters are nothing but a cancer to our society.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT