ADVERTISEMENT

Desanto will be in IC for World Cup!

. I am sure this and the team Trials in Iowa City chaps Carl’s hide. I guess he did pull off getting this abomination X factor whatever it is this year.
I would imagine that if 6,000-7,000 wrestling fans are in CHA tomorrow, it might also annoy some people. Kind of like 42,287 is referred to as "the outdoor record" by some.

It could impress DeSanto as well, considering the Drexel was able to pack in 1,005 fans into their home arena for the Cornell dual.

http://www.drexeldragons.com/news/2...-10-cornell-friday-on-spirit-night-22-13.aspx

I would imagine that if 6,000-7,000 wrestling fans are in CHA tomorrow, it might also annoy some people. Kind of like 42,287 is referred to as "the outdoor record" by some.

It could impress DeSanto as well, considering the Drexel was able to pack in 1,005 fans into their home arena for the Cornell dual.

http://www.drexeldragons.com/news/2...-10-cornell-friday-on-spirit-night-22-13.aspx
I guess Carl should just be happy they didn’t actually count all the people who did actually show up to grapple in the garden. Could have easily added another 10+k to that

Reactions: Vallholl
There is nothing about PSU recruiting that makes any sense to me at all.
Not just trying to be contradictory. But I think PSU recruiting makes all the sense in the world. They are greedy, aggressive, and resourceful. I must admit I that wish the Iowa program had a greater appearance of having more of the latter two of those qualities.

Reactions: 750075
Not just trying to be contradictory. But I think PSU recruiting makes all the sense in the world. They are greedy, aggressive, and resourceful. I must admit I that wish the Iowa program had a greater appearance of having more of the latter two of those qualities.
we do things the right way. we don't look for grey areas in the rules and exploit them.

we do things the right way. we don't look for grey areas in the rules and exploit them.
Since when has being "aggressive" at recruiting ever been considered, in and of itself, a "grey area," as if it crosses some moral line? I've read here on HR that a couple of kids (Aaron Brooks was one of them) said they were never even contacted by Iowa. Would that total lack of interest fall in the category of recruiting the "right way"? What such anecdotes tell me is that our guys could/should have at least made more of an attempt. Drop a line in the water, for crying out loud. You never know if there is a fish nearby, right?

Reactions: woodsiding
Nick Saban oversigns every year. Then he trims the fat. Is often considered to be considered shady recruiting but Alabama wins. The NCAA allows it. If the NCAA allows clubs to fatten athletes wallets, we should use that loophole too.

Last edited:
Reactions: millhawk
Since when has being "aggressive" at recruiting ever been considered, in and of itself, a "grey area," as if it crosses some moral line? I've read here on HR that a couple of kids (Aaron Brooks was one of them) said they were never even contacted by Iowa. Would that total lack of interest fall in the category of recruiting the "right way"? What such anecdotes tell me is that our guys could/should have at least made more of an attempt. Drop a line in the water, for crying out loud. You never know if there is a fish nearby, right?

You don't catch too many fish with a bare hook. I see these kinds of posts a lot but the simple fact is when you know a kid is going to be a full ride type athlete and you don't have the $$$ to work with then calling him up is just window shopping or worse if you use important $$$ from the recruiting budget for travel on someone you are not at all likely to get.

Nick Saban oversigns every year. Then he trims the fat. Is oftern considered to be considered shady recruiting but Alabama wins. The NCAA allows it. If the NCAA allows clubs to fatten athletes wallets, we should use that loophole too.

1. Football and wrestling are not set up close enough to compare like that.
2. Using the club system to enhance scholarships is not a loophole, it is a violation.
3. Even if our compliance were on board with us committing violations we don't have the funds in our club to pay kids off unles we got a 5 million dollar donation the other day.

1. Football and wrestling are not set up close enough to compare like that.
2. Using the club system to enhance scholarships is not a loophole, it is a violation.
3. Even if our compliance were on board with us committing violations we don't have the funds in our club to pay kids off unles we got a 5 million dollar donation the other day.

My point wasn’t that comparing football & Wrestling is apples to apples, my point was that part of this is on the NCAA for allowing both situations to exist.

Reactions: IRONBIRD

I agree 100%. People will say it’s because the staff knew they didn’t have enough money to get the kid but I don’t subscribe to that line of thinking as you never know when things change (ie transfer, decommits). If that happens then you are behind the 8 ball because other schools have already built relationships. This happened with Brooks I think. Iowa did reach out eventually but it was too late.

It get it..but it still doesn't make sense to me with their current roster and the 9.9 limitation.

Somebody brought up Alabama football. We saw what happened last year when a couple of 5 star QBs were on the bench. They left. One mid season. Also, there are no 4 and 5 star recruits going to play football at Alabama for free or partial scholarship.

I dont get it but good on PSU for making it work.

Just because you guys don't get it doesn't mean there isn't a reasonable explanation. As I've demonstrated a couple times now, an average of .75 scholarships can go a long way, especially when you factor in financial and academic aid. It just helps some of you guys sleep better at night thinking it's due to cheating instead of Sanderson and staff simple being better. Also, maybe, just maybe, Iowa isn't the destination it once was.

Last edited:
Just because you guys don't get it doesn't mean there isn't a reasonable explanation. As I've demonstrated a couple times now, an average of .75 scholarships can go a long way, especially when you factor in financial and academic aid. It just helps some of you guys sleep better at night thinking it's due to cheating instead of Sanderson and staff simple being better. Also, maybe, just maybe, Iowa isn't the destination it once was.

It would be if they were promised no college debt whatsoever.

Reactions: DirkTang1
It get it..but it still doesn't make sense to me with their current roster and the 9.9 limitation.

Somebody brought up Alabama football. We saw what happened last year when a couple of 5 star QBs were on the bench. They left. One mid season. Also, there are no 4 and 5 star recruits going to play football at Alabama for free or partial scholarship.

I dont get it but good on PSU for making it work.

Can you explain what you don't get? Because it sounds like you don't get why they want as many good wrestlers at each weight as possible. That's what every coach should be striving for.

Did he sign yet this morning?

There won't be a "signing."

Reactions: Ohio_Hawk
If I knew how to, I would post a pic. Spencer has a line for pics and AD is getting in a few of them.

Not sure on that but he’s definitely in town. Sitting by Spencer.

Lee sat next to McD at the Olympic Team Trials in Carver. Lee committed to Iowa the following week.

Now DeSanto sitting next to Lee at the World Cup after they've each finished their freshman seasons and DeSanto is looking for a team to transfer too.

Regardless of if DeSanto actually transfers to Iowa or not, it's a fascinating circumstance considering how their high school careers ended in the state finals. If anything it really shows the character of Spencer Lee.

Last edited:
Can you explain what you don't get? Because it sounds like you don't get why they want as many good wrestlers at each weight as possible. That's what every coach should be striving for.

. . .

In theory. But unlike team sports, only one wrestler at each weight can go. Having blue chip wrestlers on the bench is not going to work out for anyone. As a coach, I couldn't mislead a recruit and his parents about where they fit in. Such a committment is a two-way street - it's not all about the coach.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
In theory. But unlike team sports, only one wrestler at each weight can go. Having blue chip wrestlers on the bench is not going to work out for anyone. As a coach, I couldn't mislead a recruit and his parents about where they fit in. Such a committment is a two-way street - it's not all about the coach.

Having stud backups and being misleading are hardly mutually inclusive events. There are many cases ok great teams at Iowa, PSU and elsewhere that an NCAA placewinner level wrestler was a backup and despite that "huge negative" things worked out just fine and they were great teams and programs, regardless of the crutch of having such a talented roster.

Sounds to me like sour grapes more than anything.

DeSanto and Lee at World Club Cup Iowa City. Pic courtesy of Coach Mac. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=244nsw3&s=9#.Wsj5fSJOmaM
244nsw3.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT