ADVERTISEMENT

Desanto

IAChief32

HR Heisman
Apr 21, 2017
Has been a pleasure to watch...what a gamer!!
011819-WRRUTGERS-14-web09-900x600.jpg

Last edited:
Since Brands took over, no one except maybe Metcalf, has wrestled with the intensity and heart that DeSanto has shown. 5th,3rd, 3rd in the brackets he had to go throw is pretty damn special.

He was definitely my favorite Hawkeye to watch wrestle since Metcalf. I wish him the best going forward in life!

Wish we had 10 more guys like him. Fans of other teams wanted badly to see him fail. Wrestlers working to trigger a reaction. He showed lots of restraint at times. Couldn’t be prouder of he and the coaches. So many great comments. He has earned them all. Congratulations, Austin!

Last edited:
Thank You for posting! High praise from RBY, he just changed my opinion of him (RBY).
That was a tough question/comment for ADS to deal with. He was probably thinking, F that guy but he was able to at least give a bit of a reply. He didn't look happy to be talking about RBY.

Too soon!!!

I’ve debated sharing this as I’m not really the sharing type, but I guess if there’s any crowd that would appreciate it, it would be this crowd.

I was introduced to wrestling at a young age by my grandpa. Mom worked the weekend package at a local hospital and dad was always in the shop fixing someone’s car. So me, and my sisters would head over to grandpas. Every time wrestling was on tv, we would watch. Grandpa would tell me who it was wrestling and what they did. He’d say things like, have you ever heard of this Iowa wrestler, or watch this guy…he never gives up. It was a Hawkeye history lesson with grandpa not just a wrestling dual.

Well wrestling left PBS and and grandpa got older and didn’t see the need to pay for tv. So as life tends to go, the roles were reversed. The past ten years I’d be the teacher, and he’d be the student.

Grandpa was diagnosed with ALS about 4 years ago, the same year Austin debuted in the black and gold singlet. Grandpa and I loved him immediately, because he was like Brands, and Ironside…he never gave up. No matter what. That became our montra…be like Austin, never give up.

Grandpa fought the good fight, but with some things there’s just no winning. He passed away in May of that year.

I’ll never forget ADS. Thank you for all the memories on and off the mat.

That was a tough question/comment for ADS to deal with. He was probably thinking, F that guy but he was able to at least give a bit of a reply. He didn't look happy to be talking about RBY.

Too soon!!!

Yeah, it was actually a good question, but it put him in an awkward spot. He handled it really well. And, as he mentioned at the end, facing questions like that and working on his public speaking skills is an invaluable lesson these top guys get.

I give TNT a lot of crap, but you cannot take away the job they did with Austin. Spencer and some of the others probably deserve a lot of credit, too. He was a teammate that needed a very supportive but challenging environment, and Iowa turned out to be perfect.

I will miss him a lot. Hopefully he goes on to a good life.

Love having Desanto in an Iowa singlet! His improvement this year alone was something else. He developed a strong ride along with his incredible neutral game. You could always count on a great show from him. I'm glad he is sticking around the room.

Reactions: artradley
Agree. Say what you want about him but he sure never let's one match carry over to the next. Looked like a man still on a mission this morning.
Same as last year. Came back Saturday morning and never missed a beat. No team title last year without AD. He improved more as a human and wrestler than anyone on the team and it isn't even close. RBY and Fix were his kryptonite, but he had to be miserable to wrestle for everyone. So glad Spencer convinced him to come to Iowa.

We sat next to PSU fans at B1G tourney. One immediately asked if I “liked” Austin DeSanto? My reply was “what’s not to like? He’s a fan favorite in Iowa City”. He kind of skrunched up his nose like I was nuts and said something like - “I am just waiting for him to snap”. He later asked what I thought of the bow & arrow Dean used on Warner. Typical pompous PSU fan.

Thanks, again, Austin & coaches. Tickled it worked well for all parties involved.

Keeping fingers crossed we see no bow & arrow tonight or at minimum, the refs keep it legal.

Maybe he can get Fixed up and try his luck at 65kg. I hear we have our 57 going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT