ADVERTISEMENT

Despite Pandemic, 300,000 Expected at Florida Motorcycle Rally

No, we didn't fly--hence the canceled Disney trip. We've driven everywhere we've gone, and we changed our travel plans/situations based on the current situation. Example. Instead of staying at a busy hotel where you interact with people in hallways, buffets, etc., we opted for AirB&Bs so we could avoid people. As for restaurants, we always choose places with outside dining. I have done my best at finding balance in continuing on with life while adhering to CDC guidance--I didn't shell-up in my house nor did I go out and about like it was a hoax.

As far as "cons causing this", if I'm being honest, 100% (without exception) of people in my social media footprint are Trump supporters who are anti-maskers and want their "freedom to choose" back with regards to their healthcare--100%. Additionally, 100% of the people I see w/o mask (in Texas) seem to fit the stereo-type of a Trump supporter.

Don't mean to come across that way...it's just after a year of this thing, it's a tiresome argument. We get it. You (not you personally) hate masks...we all do. We're just doing our part to get past this damn thing.
Kudos to you to try and minimize the spread while still living your lives. We are doing the same thing but have flown, rented houses on vacation, grocery shop, or do take out to try and reduce the spread while still wearing masks when should be worn.

About 300,000 people are expected to descend on Daytona Beach, Fla., this week for a large annual motorcycle rally called Bike Week that is taking place during a pandemic in a state with few restrictions to slow its spread.
Excitement about the event has been tempered by pushback from some motorcycle enthusiasts in a Facebook group dedicated to the rally who feared it could turn into a coronavirus superspreader event. Last August, the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota drew more than 450,000 bikers, most of whom did not wear masks or appear to follow social-distancing guidelines.
State health officials in South Dakota said coronavirus cases spread to more than 20 states and at least 300 people — including to revelers’ families and co-workers.
Bike Week typically draws almost half a million people to the Daytona Beach area each year. But because of the coronavirus pandemic, the numbers are estimated to be lower this year — closer to 300,000 people, said Janet Kersey, the executive vice president and chief operating officer of the Daytona Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

“This year we know because of continued Covid concerns and the loss of income many have had over this past year it will be less,” she said, adding that good weather and the accelerating pace of vaccinations could cause that number to rise.
“While our community is working hard to follow C.D.C. safety guidelines, the support of the visitors and participants is important in these efforts as well for everyone’s safety,” she said.

Your Coronavirus Tracker: We'll send you the latest data for places you care about each day.

At least 125 new coronavirus deaths and 4,426 new cases were reported in Florida on Tuesday, according to a New York Times database of Covid-19 infections and deaths. Over the past week, there has been an average of 4,948 cases per day in the state, a decrease of 16 percent from the average two weeks earlier.
A more contagious and potentially more lethal variant of the coronavirus, known as B.1.1.7, which was first spotted in Britain, is spreading more widely in Florida as a share of total cases than in any other state, according to an analysis of data from Helix, a lab testing company.
With this year’s event, which began on March 5 and runs through Sunday, Bike Week is celebrating the 80th anniversary of a gathering that has been billed as one of the largest motorcycle rallies in the country.

Events include races, bike exhibitions, concerts and giveaways in and around Daytona Beach, a popular Florida tourist area known for its hard-packed sand.
Ms. Kersey said that because of the pandemic, officials had considered canceling the event but said the Daytona Beach City Council was “very meticulous in its decision to move forward.”

Good for them.

Kudos to you to try and minimize the spread while still living your lives. We are doing the same thing but have flown, rented houses on vacation, grocery shop, or do take out to try and reduce the spread while still wearing masks when should be worn.
And that's really all we can do...our best to listen to the Science and not live in fear or denial...that's really the point I was trying to make...admittedly irritated w/ folks still living like ostriches. Again, sorry for coming across holier than thou.

And that's really all we can do...our best to listen to the Science and not live in fear or denial...that's really the point I was trying to make...admittedly irritated w/ folks still living like ostriches. Again, sorry for coming across holier than thou.
You are good, for a Seminole fan! Will be down that way next week south of Jville for about a week on the beach. Looking forward to the r&r. Have a good weekend.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I'm late to this thread because I was in North Carolina all week but I drove by Daytona Beach on my way home and the bikers are thicker than love bugs this year.

I don't understand why you don't fear COVID.

Do you think you can't catch it?
Do you think if you do, it will be no different than a cold?
Do you not have any high-risk relatives you would like to protect?

If people would stop being ignorant and selfish, we'd get through this.

Additionally, I don't understand what the big inconvenience is. I've shopped since the pandemic began, I've traveled, I've enjoyed time with family. Sure, I missed out on Disney, but I've had three beach vacations and hit 4 or 5 Texas State parks I'd never been to before. I keep my distance from others, wear a mask and wash my hands--ooooo, HORRIBLE! Oh, and I HATE masks...I just wear them to do my part to protect others (not myself).
I don't fear it because in my demographic, I'm more likely to die driving to work than from Covid. Shit happens, life goes on

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Im fine for everything reopening once everyone has a chance at the vaccine. If you refuse, get the disease and die, that’s on you. For the most part the people who took responsibility will be fine.

thats my stance.
When enough vaccines are available, you have 30 days to get it and add two weeks for the vaccine to take full effect. so say 45 days until we open things back up. After that, you are taking the chances if you dont want to get vaccinated. Avoid crowds or wear masks if you are still cautious about it, but we are rolling on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT