ADVERTISEMENT

Dev calling out Iowa's clueless administration

Probably just want to recognize it instead of retire it because it is the #23. But I understand that it should be retired, no doubt. Can understand why others are upset. Just have to get Ukah a new number...

It was truly a 2nd rate production for a great hawkeye player . The lack of a highlight package was bizarre. So many people stayed in their seats to see the "ceremony" and it was pretty disappointing.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Pretty weak ceremony, for sure. Really disappointing! However, I'm in the minority that don't think numbers should be retired in college sports unless there are extraordinary circumstances (e.g. Street) and I like where they are going with making Roy a cornerstone of the new "honor wall" (I got the exact name of it wrong...I was too busy watching a gaunt Marble Sr stand at mid court and get love from the crowd).

Dev is right. And no video tribute, that's bad.

Oth, i think Barta is gone when they find a new President if not before then.

For those of you that don't know what was posted on twitter:

"Just blatantly disrespectful"

"Baffling @mattga7ens: How are we "recognizing" and not retiring the jersey of the all time leading scorer in program history?" #Retire23

-RDM

Character counts, and Sr.'s reputation as an adult possibly plays a role. Drug arrest. Domestic violence. Driving on barred license.

Completely botched. Retire his damn jersey. And where was Dr Tom or a teammate to say a few words? Devyn should be mad.

I have no idea why the number wasn't retired. I'd have to know much more about it before flying off about how bad the AD is. What numbers are retired.? How many numbers are retired? Are John Johnson and Fred Brown numbers retired? Are Ron Lester and Don Nelson's retired. Did he graduate from Iowa and have a great Pro career. I can name many players that I think many fans would like to see their numbers retired but if we did we'd end up like the Yankees and run out of numbers for players to wear. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to justify Barta not putting on a better parting show but I do think many on here get carried away.

Bobby on the radio pregame show said that the main reason is that Roy was never 1st team all Big 10

it was not brought up on the radio show but I am still not sure if he ever graduated, which is normally part of the criteria

I know it's not the best thing to bring up with his current state, but Roy wasn't exactly a model citizen off the court. Great player most definitely, but one can't help but think the reason the number isn't getting retired is bc of off court issues.

Originally posted by gohawks7470:
I know it's not the best thing to bring up with his current state, but Roy wasn't exactly a model citizen off the court. Great player most definitely, but one can't help but think the reason the number isn't getting retired is bc of off court issues.
I don't give a flying *I would say it but I would probably get banned* what he did in that timespan. To hold that against him is asinine and petulant.

Iowa has this weird air about it that you have to be the most amazing model citizen your entire life to be honored as an all time great. I shouldn't even say Iowa, I should say the inner midwest.

I'll take the guy who hit some of the lowest of lows and came back from it to become a positive influence over the person who rode the line their entire lives.

Both are equally commendable.

The man was a great Hawk, hit a rough stretch, and is still a great Hawk. Again, retire the damn number.

Originally posted by like-woahh:

Originally posted by gohawks7470:
I don't give a flying *I would say it but I would probably get banned* what he did in that timespan. To hold that against him is asinine and petulant.

Iowa has this weird air about it that you have to be the most amazing model citizen your entire life to be honored as an all time great. I shouldn't even say Iowa, I should say the inner midwest.

I'll take the guy who hit some of the lowest of lows and came back from it to become a positive influence over the person who rode the line their entire lives.

Both are equally commendable.

The man was a great Hawk, hit a rough stretch, and is still a great Hawk. Again, retire the damn number.
+1

Originally posted by T. Kimball:
Character counts, and Sr.'s reputation as an adult possibly plays a role. Drug arrest. Domestic violence. Driving on barred license.
Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner. In 2009, Marble was slated to be the program director for
the Mayor's Youth Empowerment Program. A drug arrest derailed that.

The fact that many on here fail to mention this shows the collective lack of perspective and lack of maturity on this board.

Accomplishments on the court and character of the court lead to numbers being retired.

Originally posted by NorthernHawkeye:
Ding, ding, ding.....we have a winner. In 2009, Marble was slated to be the program director for

The fact that many on here fail to mention this shows the collective lack of perspective and lack of maturity on this board.

Accomplishments on the court and character of the court lead to numbers being retired.
Captain America and the moral high ground has decided to grace us with his presence.

Is getting your number retired about what you accomplished on the court, or off? Because if what you did after your playing days are over was the criteria we'd be using letters on our jerseys by now instead of numbers.

Old Northern Hawkeye and his tired holier than thou act. I thought you'd finally taken your tired schtick off the board.Too bad I was wrong.

For all time great BB players, I'm not big on retiring numbers, Hang their jerseys around the arena so they are seen by every generation of fans coming to the games. I would also like to see them do a 1-2 minute video on the all time greats at every home game, Do a different player each game, Just to help make the younger generations aware of Iowa's past and who some of those players actually were. Just a little something to help keep the history alive.

Originally posted by torbee:

Old Northern Hawkeye and his tired holier than thou act. I thought you'd finally taken your tired schtick off the board.Too bad I was wrong.
I thought it was kind of funny this is the first post I've seen from him on this board all season. Maybe I missed a few. When it comes to degrees of sin, clearly, this guy has it on lockdown. God's messenger to us all.

Originally posted by torbee:

Fortunately, we haven't lost enough for him to show up much

You indignant folks that cared so much that you didn't even attend the game or the ceremony probably didn't hear it announced that there would be a CHA Basketball wall of fame and Roy will be the premier athlete featured there. I talked to Roy after the presentation. He was very happy to be recognized and he holds no ill will.

I agree, retire the damn number.

While i agree his jersey could be retired, i disagree his number should be. The only player right now that should have a NUMBER retired is #40 for Chris Street. Remember there are only 56 numbers that can be used in college basketball. Besides, i would retire #12 for Lester & #11 for Armstrong before Marble.

Originally posted by hooper56:
You indignant folks that cared so much that you didn't even attend the game or the ceremony probably didn't hear it announced that there would be a CHA Basketball wall of fame and Roy will be the premier athlete featured there. I talked to Roy after the presentation. He was very happy to be recognized and he holds no ill will.
I was there and I think the wall of honor idea is great. I also don't mimd not retiring the jersey number.

But the ceremony itself was amateur hour and pathetic. BAU. Seriously, not even a two-minute highlight video? The AD Pput literally the least amount of effort in possible. Again, that's shameful.

This post was edited on 3/7 6:44 PM by torbee

Wait. You brought it up to him that his number wasn't retired? Today?

Originally posted by lonewolf52:

While i agree his jersey could be retired, i disagree his number should be. The only player right now that should have a NUMBER retired is #40 for Chris Street. Remember there are only 56 numbers that can be used in college basketball. Besides, i would retire #12 for Lester & #11 for Armstrong before Marble.
BJ's number is retired but still allowed to be used(I assume by his permission). As silly as it might seem, it's the honor of it initially being retired that is important.

Honestly, I just think there should have been more done.

Originally posted by soybean:
Wait. You brought it up to him that his number wasn't retired? Today?
Of course not. Roy was very pleased to be recognized is all I am saying.

All-American Hawkeye football star Alex Karras is one of the few players whose names appear on the Kinnick Stadium press box ring of honor. Karras was banned from the NFL for gambling on games.

We're talking about honoring great Hawkeye athletes, not electing saints. And if you look it up, you'll find few, if any, actual saints who were all that "saintly."

There is no logic in who Iowa has and has not honored. Greg Stokes but not Don Nelson? Really?

Once again the administration of Iowa athletics is shown to be a third-grade operation...but adults are getting paid pretty good money to embarrass all of us on a regular basis. Some gig.

Ding, Ding, Ding
Winner, Winner - Chicken Dinner
Great post and 100% correct.
Feel sorry for Roy and his cancer - great hawk. But to be the next to have a jersey retired is a huge stretch.
This post was edited on 3/7 7:31 PM by DogBoyRy

Originally posted by DogBoyRy:

Ding, Ding, Ding
Winner, Winner - Chicken Dinner
Great post and 100% correct.
Feel sorry for Roy and his cancer - great hawk. But to be the next to have a jersey retired is a huge stretch.
This post was edited on 3/7 7:31 PM by DogBoyRy
Elaborate on why it's a huge stretch.

Originally posted by lonewolf52:

BJ's number is retired but still allowed to be used(I assume by his permission). As silly as it might seem, it's the honor of it initially being retired that is important.

Honestly, I just think there should have been more done.
Maybe we're all misunderstanding what Iowa means when they retire a number. Maybe no one with the name "Armstrong" can ever again wear the number 10.

The AD looked at the all-time roster and identified only a single Armstrong and figured, "Hey what are the odds of getting another one? And if we do, we'll just give him a different number". They did the same for the name "Marble" but found two records. Figuring there were twice as many Marbles out there as Armstrongs and not wanting to back themselves into a corner by running out of numbers with all of the worlds Marbles as potential recruits their just holding off a bit longer to make sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT