ADVERTISEMENT

Non-stop hurricane warnings!

Oh buoy!!!!
Being a scientist himself, Lowry wanted to dig into the historical data for a number of the buoy stations that were recording the high temperatures. What he found was that the stations that record the numbers are in “very shallow water” surrounded by properties that could skew the readings very high.

Lowry explains that mud flats, mangroves, and other submerged aquatic vegetation more readily absorb the sunlight, which could account for the very high readings.

Reactions: goldmom
Being a scientist himself, Lowry wanted to dig into the historical data for a number of the buoy stations that were recording the high temperatures. What he found was that the stations that record the numbers are in “very shallow water” surrounded by properties that could skew the readings very high.

Lowry explains that mud flats, mangroves, and other submerged aquatic vegetation more readily absorb the sunlight, which could account for the very high readings.

So, there WERE 100 degree temps

Just not out in the open Atlantic, where they were "only" 92-94 degrees (which is still abnormally high and hurricane jet-fuel).

97f84c6b-c1b0-480c-9e5c-92b9c3dd0b69_text.gif

I’m not outraged at all. It’s become amusing to those of us who grew up here and hurricane prep by our parents was filling up the tub with with water and getting fresh batteries for the transistor radio. Maybe an extra bag of charcoal so they could cook on the grill once the storm passed. We had a Coleman stove because we went camping a lot so we were better off than some. I was a kid when Dora hit us in Jax and we were without power for a week.
We have so many transplants who live in a state of anxiety six months of the year but they sure wanna keep moving here. They’re clueless about hurricanes.
The tax holiday does drive spending because it also encourages people to make better preparations. Bottled water, batteries, candles, tarp, lots of crackers and p-nut butter, etc. Even pet food is tax exempted.

My Sister in law and her family barely survived Andrew in South Miami back in ‘92. The neighborhood men got lawn chairs and set up at the front of their cul de sac with guns. (Amazing how many folks had them suddenly appear)
The looters drove by, looked, and kept on going. Their house had most of the roof gone, and they slept in their cars.

The last two storms that hit our area caused damage but we didn’t even lose power.

Andrew was a monster. I was in the Coast Guard at the time and got sent down there to help clean up the Coast Guard Housing Complex after it was over. What a mess. Roofs blown off, windows shattered, A/C units ripped from the sides of the buildings, cars tossed around like toys. Our day was spent clearing tree limbs from the roadways so that bigger equipment and trucks could get in.

Someone who lives in the desert doesn’t understand that.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Meanwhile the Thwaites glacier could collapse any day (or year). That alone could raise sea levels by 2 feet. Disaster for many coastal cities, but that's only, um, the tip of the iceberg. Thwaites is currently the dam holding back Antarctic ice that could raise sea levels by 65 feet. [doing those numbers from memory, so feel free to correct them; close enough for HROT work]

I'm not getting the same information experience in the Panhandle that OP is getting in his part of Florida.

It must be something about the demographics in his area.

Okay. Been posted a “dozen times”. The old repeat if often enough it’s gotta be true…
I am your age and I am from Florida. Grew up here. Hurricanes come and go. They destroy stuff because we’re overcrowded and 30-40-50 years ago they knocked down more trees than houses.
Earth’s climate and atmosphere changes all the time.

I think your memory has been influenced by the fact that hurricane activity was usually low during 70s and 80s in Florida.

Someone who understands you still have temperature records understands that doesn't really make any difference, aside from the headlines.
We both understand that. As I’ve said many times I do believe the Earth’s climate is changing. As it has done over MILLIONS of years. But I’m not so arrogant that I believe we as a collection of complex cells are in charge. We can all jump off a cliff and unplug everything on the way out and good old Earth won’t even notice.

The news media down here in Florida can't stop talking about hurricanes! It's gonna be the worst season ever due to high ocean temps in hurricane alley! Get prepared! Get scared! Get ready for the big one (or many big ones)! Panic, everybody.... PANIC!!!!! Let's scare all the insurers out of the state!

Every freaking day in my local fish wrap. Every freaking day on tv. Every freaking day on the internet "news" sites. Non-stop talk about the upcoming hurricane season!

I really hope all this click-bait crap falls flat on its face. Yes, I believe we'll have a busy hurricane season, including many dangerous ones. But that doesn't mean everybody needs to FREAK OUT! I've lived through many hurricanes and they suck, but it's not the end of the world. I've even stood in the eye of a major hurricane (Wilma) and my house did not suffer any significant damage.

But most importantly, even if it is a busy season that does not mean we'll get lots of landfalling, major storms. That depends on many factors beyond sea surface temps.

But let's not let reality stop the hype! Nope... keep the hysteria going! That sells.
I've heard none of that in my part of Florida. I had to search for a seasonal prediction for the thread I started.

I don't and neither do the majority of Floridians. Maybe you shouldn't have started the OP with "The news media down here in Florida can't stop talking about hurricanes!"
Since you live in the woods you probably don’t get news about anything (😉) but my gosh it’s been insane here.
And by the way I would never waste money on the Orlando Slantinel either. 😵‍💫

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I don't and neither do the majority of Floridians. Maybe you shouldn't have started the OP with "The news media down here in Florida can't stop talking about hurricanes!"

You obviously don't watch the Orlando-area TV station news broadcasts, either.

And neither do the majority of Floridians.

What does "the majority of Floridians" have to do with anything?

I will admit that I click on hurricane news stories so maybe my usual newsfeeds are filled with hysterical hurricane stories.

However, THE ECONOMIST even did it today.

• Haha
What does "the majority of Floridians" have to do with anything?

I will admit that I click on hurricane news stories so maybe my usual newsfeeds are filled with hysterical hurricane stories.

However, THE ECONOMIST even did it today.
This is from your OP. "The news media down here in Florida can't stop talking about hurricanes!". It might be true about your local news sources but not for the rest of us.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
This is from your OP. "The news media down here in Florida can't stop talking about hurricanes!". It might be true about your local news sources but not for the rest of us.

You are developing Joe's social disorder.

Don't be like JoesPlace.

But I’m not so arrogant that I believe we as a collection of complex cells are in charge.

We as a complex collection of societies are clearly driving it.
By pushing >130x more CO2 into the atmosphere than all terrestrial and submarine volcanoes do, annually.

Scientists predicted this prior to 1910. Exxon scientists confirmed it in the 1980s.

We as a complex collection of societies are clearly driving it.
By pushing >130x more CO2 into the atmosphere than all terrestrial and submarine volcanoes do, annually.

Scientists predicted this prior to 1910. Exxon scientists confirmed it in the 1980s.

And yet, at any moment some sort of variable could happen to upend this.

A massive volcano eruption, a sudden dimming of the sun, a large asteroid impact....

In any case, we have the technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. Why not do more of that?

And you are like hyperbolic speech. Stop blaming others and just accept the error in the OP.

No error.

A different story on this every day last week in the Orlando Sentinel. I'm sure it was the same with the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Palm Beach Post, the Miami Herald, the Florida Times-Union, the Tampa Bay Times, the Tallahassee Democrat, and on and on and on...

• Haha
In any case, we have the technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. Why not do more of that?

No; we do not.

Not anywhere close to the rate we are adding it in. It is difficult and expensive

This is gigatons of carbon we're pulling out; it doesn't just magically disappear.
Every 8-pound gallon of gas you burn produces around 20 pounds of CO2.

• Wow
Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT